Feb 16, 2018
UNITED STATES ARMY said:

Mission Success, Time to Withdraw

America's Army: Proving Grounds will be shut down on May 5th, 2022.
As the saying goes, all good things must come to an end. While it is with mixed emotions we plan our goodbye to AA:PG, we want to look back on the series and celebrate some of its achievements.

The free-to-play America's Army PC Game represented the first large-scale use of game technology by the U.S. government as a platform for strategic communication and recruitment, and the first use of game technology in support of U.S. Army recruiting. Three mainline titles and more than 20 million AA players later, the series' original purpose continued. There have been over 30 million objectives completed, 180 million successful missions accomplished, 250 million teammates assisted, and many more in-game achievements attained in AA:PG alone.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Isn't this game like 12 or 13 years old? I'm honestly impressed the servers were still up.

EDIT: Holy shit it came out right next to CoD4 in fucking 2007. I thought this was a trend chaser that released later! Jesus.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, it was still going?

I know there's probably a lot of people who hate the premise of the game, but it was actually a really competent shooter especially when it first came out. I remember getting good to the point I could blind fire grenade launchers from spawn and hit the enemies spawn. Fond memories.

Man, makes me wonder if the BF1942 wake island demo servers are still going strong.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The cynic in me says "oh sure, less than a year after we finally leave Afghanistan"

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

Mission Success, Time to Withdraw

missaccomp.jpeg

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I thought the actual US Army was shutting down game servers, for whatever reason.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I saw articles saying it was 20 years old, but I think Proving Grounds specifically came out in 2013. Still really long for a game that I've never heard of anyone actually playing. Also, good riddance, fucking gross concept.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Didnt know this was still ongoing I couldnt even remember the name. Kept confusing it with ARMA too...

Apr 2, 2021
The best thing about this game is that the U.S. Army didn't want anyone to actually "play" as terrorists so their solution was to make it so no matter what team you were on you saw your team as the Army and the enemy as terrorists.

Think about that.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
Didn't they add goofy weapon skins to this game like you'd find in Call of Duty? Also I find it odd/interesting that this game never came to Xbox One but it did release on PlayStation 4 with regular updates until late last year.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing AA back in like 2002 and thinking how awesome it was to get a tangible benefit for all those tax dollars. We were all like: "the government made a game and it's actually good?!"