Jadentheman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
https://gizmodo.com/americas-obesity-problem-is-getting-even-worse-1829068201

An excerpt from the article

The report found that, from 2015 to 2016, 39.6 percent of adults nationally met the criteria for obesity (meaning they had a body mass index of 30 or greater), the highest reported percentage yet. And according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the obesity rate stayed level or increased in every state in 2017.

Six states in particular—Iowa, Ohio, Oklahoma, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and South Carolina—had their adult obesity rate increase from 2016 to 2017. Seven states—Alabama, Arkansas, Iowa, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and West Virginia—had an adult obesity rate over 35 percent, while 22 states had a rate hovering between 30 and 35 percent. West Virginia had the highest obesity rate among adults, at 38.1 percent. Only two states, Hawaii and Colorado, had an adult obesity rate lower than 25 percent of adults.

cvltclassic

Oct 27, 2017
I may be missing something here, but if West Virginia has the highest rate at 38.1%, how is it that the national rate is 39.6%?

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
This will *never* improve without serious regulation and investment on a federal scale. And that won't happen without serious campaign finance reform. And the chances of that are, uh

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This will *never* improve without serious regulation and investment on a federal scale. And that won't happen without serious campaign finance reform. And the chances of that are, uh

it's kinda depressing how many of the WORLD's problems have known and feasible solutions that are....shoved under the rug. Not enough money in helping folks, I guess.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I may be missing something here, but if West Virginia has the highest rate at 38.1%, how is it that the national rate is 39.6%?
Other states have larger populations than West Virginia.

WV: 1.816 million * 38.1% = 691,896 people
CA: 39.54 million * 25.1% = 9,924,540 people

California has more obese people than West Virginia has people.

Edit: actually, the report directly addresses this:

How is it that only 6 states have adult obesity rates exceeding 35 percent, yet the national obesity rate is 39.6 percent? It's because state obesity rates come from BRFSS, which collects selfreported height and weight. Research has demonstrated that people tend to overestimate their height and underestimate their weight. In fact, one study found that, due to this phenomenon, BRFSS may underestimate obesity rates by nearly 10 percent.83 NHANES, from which the national obesity rate is derived, calculates its obesity rate based on physical examinations of respondents. Accordingly, the higher rates found by NHANES are a more accurate reflection of obesity in the United States.84

Different data methods

Last edited:

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I just came back from a business trip in Louisville and the food portions are ridiculously large.

PatMan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bring obese seems like such a damper on quality of life. I feel bad for anyone who has to live like that.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yep pretty much. And like even something as simple as this being mandatory on nutrition facts would totally change peoples perspectives on food.

Like people's LARGEST issues are how much food we are consuming and the amount of calories associated, vs what is expended. We just eat way too fucking much food. I gag now at eating out and knowing a meal is literally worth a wholes day of food. Now imagine eating out like that 3 or two times a day and it's no wonder why people are obese.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yep pretty much. And like even something as simple as this being mandatory on nutrition facts would totally change peoples perspectives on food.

Like people's LARGEST issues are how much food we are consuming and the amount of calories associated, vs what is expended. We just eat way too fucking much food. I gag now at eating out and knowing a meal is literally worth a wholes day of food. Now imagine eating out like that 3 or two times a day and it's no wonder why people are obese.

instead of the useless "per serving" table, there should be a "per 100 g" table so you can easily calculate percentages and compare percentages between different brands

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Wait, in USA you don't have that?
Nope. Labels are WILDLY different. The only reason that has it is because this is made by an California company. But most do not give both per serving and whole package.

Most labels simply force you to do the math on how many calories the whole package is.

instead of the useless "per serving" table, there should be a "per 100 g" table so you can easily calculate percentages and compare percentages between different brands

This too. A universal serving size weight work wonders as well.

Oct 28, 2017
Nobody posted this? For shame.
d306a2606e550b6374df739ae2a0281f.gif

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Is BMI the one that doesn't measure accurately? Like a body builder would be considered obese under it, right?

Plum

May 31, 2018

Even then, having seen the reaction to even the most minor of positive changes here in England, I don't think public opinion is not going to support that serious regulation. We get a small tax on sugar because sugar-related health issues are a burden to our country's health system and its society as a whole... people want it gone because their energy drinks taste a little different. The opposition for the kinds of regulations needed to make serious change will be much, much greater, and I'd argue that would be true for both sides of the political spectrum.

Personally I see the main thing preventing is this idea that "personal responsibility" is the be-all and end-all when it comes to the causes of obesity. Because the idea of obesity as an addiction is not commonly regarded as true any significant change is seen as a punishment for those who aren't fat and an "easy way out" for those who are.

Either that or people simply don't care enough to ask for it; I'm frankly seeing a lot of parallels with climate change when it comes to just how apathetic people can get regarding such a significant issue.

Is BMI the one that doesn't measure accurately? Like a body builder would be considered obese under it, right?

BMI is accurate for the vast majority of people, and the outliers are too few to really affect more wide-reaching sets of data. If your BMI reading says your obese and you aren't a body-builder... there's a fair chance you're obese.

Oct 30, 2017
I live in a corner of the world where obesity is not particularly normal, and these numbers are blowing my goddamn mind.

It's hard to imagine.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Is it just me or is the BMI not that accurate for tall people. For my height (6'2") the low-end of normal is 145 lb, I was that weight after my last growth spurt at 14 when I was nothing but skin and bones (before I started doing weights). I'm trying to get back to the high-end which would be 194, but at that weight I'll be freaking slim and wearing 32-33 pants. I'm wearing 34s at 218.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I say this as a fat person who has been fat most of his life.

Fat just isn't carried well on most people and it's hard to dress up.

There used to be way more attractive people out there for the dating pool before we all got fat. Being fit instantly raises your physical appeal by like 4 points for most people.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Even then, having seen the reaction to even the most minor of positive changes here in England, I don't think public opinion is not going to support that serious regulation. We get a small tax on sugar because sugar-related health issues are a burden to our country's health system and its society as a whole... people want it gone because their energy drinks taste a little different. The opposition for the kinds of regulations needed to make serious change will be much, much greater, and I'd argue that would be true for both sides of the political spectrum.

Personally I see the main thing preventing is this idea that "personal responsibility" is the be-all and end-all when it comes to the causes of obesity. Because the idea of obesity as an addiction is not commonly regarded as true any significant change is seen as a punishment for those who aren't fat and an "easy way out" for those who are.

Either that or people simply don't care enough to ask for it; I'm frankly seeing a lot of parallels with climate change when it comes to just how apathetic people can get regarding such a significant issue.

Sugar is crack. People are so hooked on artificial flavors etc. I remember how pissed I was when I finally tried an actual blueberry and strawberry and it wasn't like the flavoring I was used to have in my mind of what they should taste like.

People really have little grasp on how health issues and poor diet is the main way people die.

Oct 27, 2017
Everything goes back to capitalism. People don't have money so they lean towards cheap food which is mostly unhealthy and abundant and unhealthy. The entire system there is rigged. Nobody has time to dedicate to self care, including working out, because they work extreme hours. Everything is fucked.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has seen the epidemic first hand in medical settings over the years, this is a huge problem that's just waiting to explode. People are getting so fat that nurses are getting injured trying to flip them over in bed. The amount of drain this has on our healthcare system is huge given how much obesity affects your whole body.

And it definitely doesn't help when obese people act extremely aggressively to any notion to try and change their situation. Note how past legal attempts to deal with soda portions are met on ERA with people demanding the right to drink or eat as much as they want. But we have to ignore them, because these attempts do work, and we have to keep going with them (more aggressively too).

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
People are overworked, underpaid, and under-educated about healthy eating/physical activity.

So cheap, shitty food and lots of sedentary time create a nasty feedback loop.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I bet you they change the scale, or didn't they already where there's now multiple obesity measurements?

I wonder what the breakdown is and how many people in US are morbidly obese?

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Is it just me or is the BMI not that accurate for tall people. For my height (6'2") the low-end of normal is 145 lb, I was that weight after my last growth spurt at 14 when I was nothing but skin and bones (before I started doing weights). I'm trying to get back to the high-end which would be 194, but at that weight I'll be freaking slim and wearing 32-33 pants. I'm wearing 34s at 218.

You are one sandwitch away from FAT.

lol joking. I think the BMI is a general rule but it doesn't apply to everyone. I have small bones and I'm pretty thin at the waste line, so if I would be at the high end I would definitly have a lot of fat.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
I say this as a fat person who has been fat most of his life.

Fat just isn't carried well on most people and it's hard to dress up.

There used to be way more attractive people out there for the dating pool before we all got fat. Being fit instantly raises your physical appeal by like 4 points for most people.

I blame the food industry. They are just like cigarette makers, only less insidious and evil.

iseta

Jun 26, 2018
Jupiter
The thing is, I don't really think people who are obese care how much calories are in their milkshakes or cookies. When I used to gorge on food, I didn't really care about that either. What made me realize that I needed to lose weight wasn't any warning on labels or anything like that.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Empirically, I don't think nutrition facts have been shown to substantially impact people's eating habits. In a broader sense, the replication crisis in psychology and a long history of attempts to nudge people's behavior point to a pattern: people are resilient in what they do. That isn't to say that there are no levers to push and pull, but that we should no longer expect small, inexpensive, limited changes (like fixed portion sizes, small soda taxes, or mandatory labeling) to produce meaningful results.