Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I bet you they change the scale, or didn't they already where there's now multiple obesity measurements?

I wonder what the breakdown is and how many people in US are morbidly obese?

Code:
BMI Level         Weight Classification
Below 18.5         Underweight
18.5 to < 25     Healthy weight
25 to < 30         Overweight
30 and above     Obesity
40 and above     Obesity Class 3 or Severe Obesity

They don't break down the numbers for 40 and above.

Not downplaying the study, but I thought BMI was largely considered a misleading measurement?

Not for the average person and certainly not when used to study large sections of the population.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Sugar is crack. People are so hooked on artificial flavors etc. I remember how pissed I was when I finally tried an actual blueberry and strawberry and it wasn't like the flavoring I was used to have in my mind of what they should taste like.

People really have little grasp on how health issues and poor diet is the main way people die.

Yeah, it's fucking crazy. Thankfully we don't have as much sugar pumped into regular foods here in Britain as Americans seem to have, but even then it's such a trap to fall into and it's incredibly difficult to get out of.

I'm currently losing weight and, so far, it's worked out quite well (around 22lbs lost since July ), and one of the main things I had to do was quit the sugary stuff. It got to a point where I would have to have some sort of large sugary "treat" every single day (usually ranging in the 600-1,000 calorie range) or else I'd feel, well, wrong. After two months of really only eating sugar-free Jelly (Jello), fruit and the occasional Apple Pie for deserts I bought a bag of chocolate as a treat and... I just didn't enjoy it. It felt like nothing, like it simply wasn't worth it.

Yep pretty much. And like even something as simple as this being mandatory on nutrition facts would totally change peoples perspectives on food.

Unfortunately I wouldn't agree. We have great nutritional information in the UK and even then we've constistently been getting fatter as a nation over the past decade or so. We also have stuff like government-funded advertising schemes, free fruit for kids at supermarkets, and the 'traffic light' system (see below):

food-traffic-light-system.jpg

It would help, definitely, but to make a massive change there's going to need to be massive changes to go alongside it.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Drop. The. Sugar.

Trust me. I am not telling anyone to do a strict ketogenic diet (has worked wonders for me ) , but limit the sugars above all.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Code:
BMI Level         Weight Classification
Below 18.5         Underweight
18.5 to < 25     Healthy weight
25 to < 30         Overweight
30 and above     Obesity
40 and above     Obesity Class 3 or Severe Obesity

They don't break down the numbers for 40 and above.

Yeah how much of America is now 40 and above? There's a huge (pun not intended) difference between 30 and 40 isn't there? What's the weight difference between that? (I know it depends on height and age but averages)

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
Even then, having seen the reaction to even the most minor of positive changes here in England, I don't think public opinion is not going to support that serious regulation. We get a small tax on sugar because sugar-related health issues are a burden to our country's health system and its society as a whole... people want it gone because their energy drinks taste a little different. The opposition for the kinds of regulations needed to make serious change will be much, much greater, and I'd argue that would be true for both sides of the political spectrum.

Personally I see the main thing preventing is this idea that "personal responsibility" is the be-all and end-all when it comes to the causes of obesity. Because the idea of obesity as an addiction is not commonly regarded as true any significant change is seen as a punishment for those who aren't fat and an "easy way out" for those who are.

Either that or people simply don't care enough to ask for it; I'm frankly seeing a lot of parallels with climate change when it comes to just how apathetic people can get regarding such a significant issue.

BMI is accurate for the vast majority of people, and the outliers are too few to really affect more wide-reaching sets of data. If your BMI reading says your obese and you aren't a body-builder... there's a fair chance you're obese.

There's a 'do you want the big broccoli or the little broccoli?' solution that parents of toddlers know all too well that we can apply to the situation.

Do you want a few sensible regulations on food or do you want more expensive healthcare?
Do you want a tax on Bad Food [Other Poor People, Not You!] Enjoy, or do you want your children to die early?
Should food companies and restaurants have consistent portions on all products sold or do you want to want to have your kids taken away for abuse?

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Everything goes back to capitalism. People don't have money so they lean towards cheap food which is mostly unhealthy and abundant and unhealthy. The entire system there is rigged. Nobody has time to dedicate to self care, including working out, because they work extreme hours. Everything is fucked.

That's not true for everyone. I know a lot of lazy people who just don't want to learn to cook their own food & exercice. They prefer to eat at restaurents all the time & facebook. They won't even take a walk outside without a Coke.

I have a full time job, house and 2 kids. My girlfriend cooks all saturday while I take care of the house and kids. We exercice when the kids are sleeping. It is do-able.

Shit food in restaurents is still more expensive than cooking your own.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I think people really just have no idea how many calories they're eating. I'm part of the problem. I've been calorie counting for a few weeks now and it's nuts. On occasion when I was really hungry, I would get a Chipotle Burrito, Chips and Guac, and a large rootbeer. Fuck me thats like 2500 calories. Never again. Shit, the chips and guac alone is almost 800. But I see plenty of people getting a Burrito with chips and guac. It's like we're wll conditioned by commercials and TV that this is the amount we should be consuming.

Alej

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The day we really look about what cause obesity, other than thinking people have bad diet and lacks exercice, will be a great beginning in order to solve this problem.

Overly-processed food, hormonal injects, thyroid problems, genetics... Might be a hint.

My wife worked for 5 years in the "cardiology service" of CHU Nancy, France. 80% of the patient aren't obese, they are smokers for the most part, alcoholic often. But the real surprise is the amount of normal people practicing sports intensively. Air pollution might be a problem here.

Obesity isn't always a cause of an illness, or an illness itself. Not always a lifestyle problem too. It's more complex than that.

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
Everything goes back to capitalism. People don't have money so they lean towards cheap food which is mostly unhealthy and abundant and unhealthy. The entire system there is rigged. Nobody has time to dedicate to self care, including working out, because they work extreme hours. Everything is fucked.

Just to add to this is the widespread depression and sense of alienation that capitalism fosters... stress eating helps to make lots of people forget about their current state.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I frequently find myself horrified at how terrible other people eat and how little they move around. People are under so much pressure and have no way of talking about it and just resort to small pleasures to mask the pain. It's so sad. And then some people really just don't think about it. People have no relationship to their bodies, their food, their environment. We're so isolated and ignorant.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Other states have larger populations than West Virginia.

WV: 1.816 million * 38.1% = 691,896 people
CA: 39.54 million * 25.1% = 9,924,540 people

California has more obese people than West Virginia has people.

Edit: actually, the report directly addresses this:

Different data methods

I know you showed the reason why in the second paragraph, but the math in your first paragraph is just wrong. If a state has the highest percentage in rate of obese people, then the national average will always be lower than that, regardless of populations (if the methods are the same, which they weren't).

Oct 25, 2017
I think people really just have no idea how many calories they're eating. I'm part of the problem. I've been calorie counting for a few weeks now and it's nuts. On occasion when I was really hungry, I would get a Chipotle Burrito, Chips and Guac, and a large rootbeer. Fuck me thats like 2500 calories. Never again. Shit, the chips and guac alone is almost 800. But I see plenty of people getting a Burrito with chips and guac. It's like we're wll conditioned by commercials and TV that this is the amount we should be consuming.

Not to be "shaming people" but I have a hard time eating out for this very reason. Seeing other people eat and how much they're willing to put down (or throw out) just really makes me feel sick.

That's not true for everyone. I know a lot of lazy people who just don't want to learn to cook their own food & exercice. They prefer to eat at restaurents all the time & facebook. They won't even take a walk outside without a Coke.

I have a full time job, house and 2 kids. My girlfriend cooks all saturday while I take care of the house and kids. We exercice when the kids are sleeping. It is do-able.

You can eat out but still eat fairly well. The problem is you have restaurants going bigger and bigger with food items & portions to draw in more people.

Oct 27, 2017

I was going to edit it to say that there are exceptions but its clear this is the norm. The people that manage to struggle through it and keep themselves fit are the exceptions to the norm. I don''t think this is isolated to just fitness either, but self care in general.

It's a wide gamut of people who are just genuinely too lazy, don't care, or just don't have the ability to.

Oct 27, 2017
The US is serious about cultivating mass.

BMI is actually a great way to indicate if you're obese, if used on the majority of the population. My BMI is 30, but I'm not even close to overweight, but I'm not the norm.

Oct 28, 2017
There is no mystery behind what foods make us fat and what behaviors lead to fat loss. It's up to the individual to adopt healthier habits.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, I don't really think people who are obese care how much calories are in their milkshakes or cookies. When I used to gorge on food, I didn't really care about that either. What made me realize that I needed to lose weight wasn't any warning on labels or anything like that.

It really is. Like, sure, it would help people who are actively trying to change their diets, but there's such a huge chunk of people that just... don't care. They're not stupid. They know grabbing two Big Macs and a large Coke for dinner isn't healthy. They don't need a "WARNING: BAD FOR YOU" sign.

There's a lot of factors, but I think it's a social and structural issue more than an educational one. People have resources - we just need to make them WANT to use them.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure American's craft beer craze isn't helping any here. IPAs were my downfall for awhile. I stopped drinking almost entirely and the pound are just melting away.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weight is one of those dividers in modern american culture that I can see growing and growing. Withing my circle of friends and work mates, I don't know anyone that is obese. Some are a few pounds over, sure, but nothing beyond that.

Rokuren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not downplaying the study, but I thought BMI was largely considered a misleading measurement?

Sort of. BMI is on the whole decently accurate. A lot of people like to bring up that it doesn't distinguish between muscle and fat, but the number of really muscular people is quite small.

Pretty much every study I've seen on the subject of BMI vs %BodyFat as measured by something like dexa show that when BMI is wrong it's more likely that it underestimated %body fat. Essentially when wrong the likely scenarios were shown as normal when they were actually oveweight/obese, were shown as overweight when obese as opposed to obese but overweight/normal or overweight but normal.

So the number of people who are obese is likely higher than what BMI would lead people to believe.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
BMI is accurate for the vast majority of people, and the outliers are too few to really affect more wide-reaching sets of data. If your BMI reading says your obese and you aren't a body-builder... there's a fair chance you're obese.
None of this is true. It's a totally un-scientific and outdated metric that was invented by a non-scientist in the 1800s. It's accurate for groups of people, not individuals. You don't have to do much working out at all to put yourself into the BMI's overweight category. Almost a decade ago when I started exercising I put on a little muscle (Fitness-Age/Era would have laughed me out of the thread), had low bodyfat and the BMI had me a couple points into "overweight". It's a joke. If you are overweight then yes the BMI will tell you, and it has much more of a problem with false positives than with false negatives. Any metric that is wildly off for so many outlier groups that aren't even really outliers is not one to be trusted. It's pretty stupid, actually. The only instances in which it can be truly trusted for an individual are ones where it's obvious if the person is overweight in the first place. It's useless.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Stop counting calories its total nonsense.
Eat real food that is actually satiating. Focus on healthy fats, and stay away from things that are overtly processed, and cut out the sugar [its hidden everywhere BTW].

Try this recipe when you have the time, and make note of how long you go until you feel the need to eat:

Burgers
  • 1 pound 85% lean grass-fed ground bison or beef
  • 4 slices nitrate-free bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
  • ¼ cup grass-fed cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
  • ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
  • ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • ¼ cup pickled jalapeno, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • ½ teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
  • ½ teaspoon pepper
  • ½ teaspoon salt
Topping
  • 4 slices bacon (pasture-raised & nitrate/nitrite-free)
  • 1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced
  • 1 avocado, sliced
  • 4 slices grass-fed cheddar cheese
Cowboy Burgers
  1. Heat skillet over medium-low, and add ½-inch pieces of bacon. Cook until lightly browned, about 6-10 minutes.
  2. Combine all burger ingredients in a bowl, and use hands to evenly incorporate. Form into patties.
  3. Add 4 slices of bacon to the skillet and cook over medium-low, rendering bacon fat into the skillet. Reserve fat in the pan, and set bacon aside.
  4. Add yellow onion slices to the skillet, and saute until translucent. Set aside.
  5. Add burger patties to the skillet, and cook for about 4-5 minutes, till you see the side of the patty start to brown. Flip, add a slice of cheese to the top, and cook for about 4 minutes more, until done.
  6. Add burgers to serving plates and top with bacon, sautéed onion, sliced avocado, and season with salt and pepper.

Oct 25, 2017
Sort of. BMI is on the whole decently accurate. A lot of people like to bring up that it doesn't distinguish between muscle and fat, but the number of really muscular people is quite small.

Pretty much every study I've seen on the subject of BMI vs %BodyFat as measured by something like dexa show that when BMI is wrong it's more likely that it underestimated %body fat. Essentially when wrong the likely scenarios were shown as normal when they were actually oveweight/obese, were shown as overweight when obese as opposed to obese but overweight/normal or overweight but normal.

So the number of people who are obese is likely higher than what BMI would lead people to believe.

Ahh ok, that's probably what I recall. It was a good baseline but shouldn't be seen as gospel.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Order alla carte at fast food places.

Helped stabilize my weight gain two years ago by just ordering a sandwich rather than a full meal and Chick-fil-A.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Eat real food that is actually satiating. Focus on healthy fats, and stay away from things that are overtly processed, and cut out the sugar [its hidden everywhere BTW].

Try this recipe when you have the time, and make note of how long you go until you feel the need to eat:

Burgers
  • ½ teaspoon pepper
  • ½ teaspoon salt
Topping
  • 1 avocado, sliced
  • 4 fried eggs (optional)
Cowboy Burgers
  1. Heat skillet over medium-low, and add ½-inch pieces of bacon. Cook until lightly browned, about 6-10 minutes.
  2. Combine all burger ingredients in a bowl, and use hands to evenly incorporate. Form into patties.
  3. Add 4 slices of bacon to the skillet and cook over medium-low, rendering bacon fat into the skillet. Reserve fat in the pan, and set bacon aside.
  4. Add yellow onion slices to the skillet, and saute until translucent. Set aside.
  5. Add burger patties to the skillet, and cook for about 4-5 minutes, till you see the side of the patty start to brown. Flip, add a slice of cheese to the top, and cook for about 4 minutes more, until done.
  6. Add burgers to serving plates and top with bacon, sautéed onion, sliced avocado, and season with salt and pepper.
I appreciate the advise, but counting calories is definitely not total nonsense.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

None of this is true. It's a totally un-scientific and outdated metric that was invented by a non-scientist in the 1800s. It's accurate for groups of people, not individuals. You don't have to do much working out at all to put yourself into the BMI's overweight category. Almost a decade ago when I started exercising I put on a little muscle (Fitness-Age/Era would have laughed me out of the thread), had low bodyfat and the BMI had me a couple points into "overweight". It's a joke. If you are overweight then yes the BMI will tell you, and it has much more of a problem with false positives than with false negatives. Any metric that is wildly off for so many outlier groups that aren't even really outliers is not one to be trusted. It's pretty stupid, actually. The only instances in which it can be truly trusted for an individual are ones where it's obvious if the person is overweight in the first place. It's useless.

One of you is wrong.

I know you showed the reason why in the second paragraph, but the math in your first paragraph is just wrong. If a state has the highest percentage in rate of obese people, then the national average will always be lower than that, regardless of populations (if the methods are the same, which they weren't).

Yeah, I didn't think too critically there. I'll leave it up as part of my shame.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe i'm crazy but it feels like there's been this recent trend (I'm thinking the last few years) of popular food places popping up that are "healthy-ish" in that because they don't sell fries and have a lot of vegetables on their menu people assume they are "healthy". Stuff like Chipotle comes to mind. I like a bowl every now and again, but I'm under no allusions that a bowl or burrito loaded with rice, beans, greasy pork and sour cream is any healthier than In N Out just because you can put lettuce and corn in it. But a lot of people seem to actually view it as a healthy alternative.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017

Burgers
  • ½ teaspoon pepper
  • ½ teaspoon salt
Topping
  • 1 avocado, sliced
Cowboy Burgers

Counting calories isn't total nonsense and it is absurd to say so. A lot of people have found success that route and continue to do so. It isn't the end all but it is a good start to figure out what you want to do next diet wise.

iseta

Jun 26, 2018
Jupiter
It really is. Like, sure, it would help people who are actively trying to change their diets, but there's such a huge chunk of people that just... don't care. They're not stupid. They know grabbing two Big Macs and a large Coke for dinner isn't healthy. They don't need a "WARNING: BAD FOR YOU" sign.

There's a lot of factors, but I think it's a social and structural issue more than an educational one. People have resources - we just need to make them WANT to use them.

I think most of the time people just grab what's more convenient to them because we're just so damn busy. I don't even live in the US but most of the foods I have available to me that are fast and cheap are the equivalent to fast food.

Meal prepping takes a shit ton of time and most foods taste damn gross in the microwave. It's tough for those working 8h a day.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Colorado has a very big outdoor culture involving hiking, mountain biking, kayaking etc which goes along with a generally healthier lifestyle.

Perhaps, but I have a different thought on that. I grew up in Colorado and now live in Austin, which has a similar outdoor culture, but the obesity rates are much higher here. It'd be interesting to see a study doing that sort of comparison, but from my personal experience I think the price of food is actually the primary driver of this. Due to being in the mountains, food in Colorado costs more by default since you're driving it in from other states, and what local crops you do get still have a bit higher price due to the higher cost of living/production. Whereas here in Texas, things are cheaper, so portions are bigger. I know that I had to make some adjustments to my diet a fair bit after living down here for a few years, and it was primarily to my portion control (well, that and transitioning from college to a desk job, crossing campus keeps you active!).

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Counting calories isn't total nonsense and it is absurd to say so. A lot of people have found success that route and continue to do so. It isn't the end all but it is a good start to figure out what you want to do next diet wise.
eh his advice isn't off base. A lot of nutritionist recommend people do exactly what he just described

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps, but I have a different thought on that. I grew up in Colorado and now live in Austin, which has a similar outdoor culture, but the obesity rates are much higher here. It'd be interesting to see a study doing that sort of comparison, but from my personal experience I think the price of food is actually the primary driver of this. Due to being in the mountains, food in Colorado costs more by default since you're driving it in from other states, and what local crops you do get still have a bit higher price due to the higher cost of living/production. Whereas here in Texas, things are cheaper, so portions are bigger. I know that I had to make some adjustments to my diet a fair bit after living down here for a few years, and it was primarily to my portion control (well, that and transitioning from college to a desk job, crossing campus keeps you active!).
It's also fucking hot in Austin.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I blame the food industry. They are just like cigarette makers, only less insidious and evil.
I dunno, they're more insidious and evil these days. At least people know tobacco has no positive benefits nor boasts to have any, has terrible consequences, isn't a necessity, isn't marketed towards kids, has limited marketing reach in general.

The food industry knows exactly what they are selling is trash and they've poured all of their money into convincing people it's acceptable as daily meals. Soda is the most evil of all, IMO.

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe i'm crazy but it feels like there's been this recent trend (I'm thinking the last few years) of popular food places popping up that are "healthy-ish" in that because they don't sell fries and have a lot of vegetables on their menu people assume they are "healthy". Stuff like Chipotle comes to mind. I like a bowl every now and again, but I'm under no allusions that a bowl or burrito loaded with rice, beans, greasy pork and sour cream is any healthier than In N Out just because you can put lettuce and corn in it. But a lot of people seem to actually view it as a healthy alternative.

A bowl with brown rice, chicken, lett, mild salsa, a little cheese n guac isn't really THAT bad for you.

Better than fast food but overall I agree with you yea that a "loaded" bowl or burrito is not good at all but it's the calories are plastered all over the wall at the counter so the high calorie count shouldn't be a mystery to anyone

Rokuren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of you is wrong.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1038/oby.2009.101

Our study, involving a large sample from the Newfoundland population, demonstrates the limited ability of BMI to accurately estimate adiposity. One of the major findings in the present study is that there is a large discrepancy between BMI‐ and DXA‐defined adiposity status that is both gender and age specific. Over one‐third of women and men were misclassified by BMI criteria compared to %BF criteria determined by DXA. A significant proportion of OB individuals were misclassified as either NW or OW by BMI criteria. This poses serious health consequences on a population level, as the opportunity to intervene and reduce health risk in these individuals is lost. Overall, BMI had the poorest ability to predict true adiposity in NW and OB women, and in OW and OB men. Furthermore, this misclassification was influenced by age, with younger women (under 40 years old) demonstrating the largest discrepancy between the two methods. We also found significant intersubject variability in %BF for any given BMI value.

https://bmcobes.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/2052-9538-1-9
Utilising a single BMI threshold may underestimate the true extent of obesity in the white population, particularly among men. Similarly, the BMI underestimates the prevalence of underweight, suggesting that this body build is apparent in the population, albeit at a low prevalence. Optimal thresholds for defining underweight and obesity will ultimately depend on risk assessment for impaired health and early mortality.
The data in this one doesn't have easily graphics but it also finds that bmi underreports obesity
Using sex-and-age-specific cut-points for %BF equivalent to BMI 30.0 kg/m2, we report that 24.7% (95% CI 22.2, 27.1) of men and 29.5% (95% CI 26.7, 32.3) of women were obese. The prevalence estimate for men was greater than the estimate of 19.7% (95% CI 17.5, 21.9), which was based on BMI criteria. The pattern was similar for women for whom the prevalence of obesity according to the BMI was 28.2% (95% CI 25.4, 31.0); however, the difference in the estimates was not significant.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A bowl with brown rice, chicken, lett, mild salsa, a little cheese n guac isn't really THAT bad for you.

Better than fast food but overall I agree with you yea that a "loaded" bowl or burrito is not good at all but it's the calories are plastered all over the wall at the counter so the high calorie count shouldn't be a mystery to anyone
A big issue is just portion size. But you can't get away with charging $8 for a burrito that's half the size.