QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me calories is calories, they come from bio vegies & fruits like any other processed food. The only argument about good or bad colories when it comes to weight ( and not health ) is that non processed food should make you feel fuller for the same amount of calories; which does not mean that someone can't eat too much calories with mostly "healthy" food.

I went 96kg -> 72kg eating mostly frozen meat, canned vegetables, eggs, soups in bags..... there was nothing healthy about that diet, it just didn't go over 1500 cal a day, often less..

Yup.

You can lose weight eating nothing but Twinkies. You'll feel like dogshit, but you can.

It's all about calories in vs. out.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm glad I changed my eating habits a few months ago. Was 320lbs when I started. Now 290 with losing an average of 8 to 10lbs a month.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I would not discount the poor work life balance we have here. It makes high caloric convenience foods more appealing.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I was kinda horrified when I saw this on a recent trip to the States:

IMG_5157-795833.JPG

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Then you're lucky. Some suburbs straight up don't have any sidewalks.

You are right. I think it has a lot to do with when towns/cities were settled/developed. I imagine any town that has been around since the revolutionary war is pretty well situated and that is the case with many suburban towns surrounding NYC.

Oct 26, 2017
For me calories is calories, they come from bio vegies & fruits like any other processed food. The only argument about good or bad colories when it comes to weight ( and not health ) is that non processed food should make you feel fuller for the same amount of calories; which does not mean that someone can't eat too much calories with mostly "healthy" food.

I went 96kg -> 72kg eating mostly frozen meat, canned vegetables, eggs, soups in bags..... there was nothing healthy about that diet, it just didn't go over 1500 cal a day, often less..

Exactly. People are over complicating the issue when it comes down to Cal-In/Cal-Out. I remember back in 2016 I dropped 30lbs working a full-time physical job and my diet was absolute garbage. The only reason I lost that much weight was due to all of the heavy lifting, and walking/running around.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'm sorry folks. It seems a consensus has been made in this thread about people getting fat because they eat unhealthy calories and don't go to the gym. Fine, thanks for that scientifically accepted and well-known opinion.

That's just not working like that. It's more complex.

Yes, without doubt, we can say that X people will have more chance gaining weight by eating a lot (note how i don't speak about calories here) and have a very sedentary life. But, it is not as simple as that, some won't gain weight in any circumstance. Some will gain weight in any circumstance.

Metabolism and how body stores fat and sugar varies a lot depending of the people you'll observe. That's a fact, any doctor, any nutritionnist will acquiesce. And yes, the mechanism to LOSE fat is well-known, eat less and go to the gym... Or in fact it isn't. Some people are blocked here and can't easily lose weight thanks to their metabolism and insulin level. That's the fucking real fact, get real please.

Now, my testimony. I'm french, i'm 31years old, i am a guy. 1m82 for 115kg, i am obese. For all my life, i've eaten veggies as the majority of every meal. I don't like sugar (no candy, only some not-processed black chocolate once a week), i am disgusted by fat since childhood (don't eat it if i see it). I cook myself every meal at every time with good food, local often, veggies most, potatoes, pasta, meat (i'm no vegetarian), etc, for my family. And my parent did the same in my childhood. Approximately no processed food, little sugar, little fat... Sports ? I've practiced soccer since i was 7 years old and until 19, trainings twice a week, etc. I'm a strong guy, and i've become obese all of a sudden after my teen years.

"but you stopped soccer..."
19 years old to 25. University ! Youpi ! I had to walk 12km everyday to go there because no cars, no bus line between me and the fac. I'm a good walker, that was fine. But i've gained 35kg in two years between 19 and 21. Explain that to me. I wasn't even eating much, i had very little money, fasting was rampant in my life. 35 f***ing kilos in two years ! Then, ten until now.

Now, i have two child, one is 3.5 years old and his very healthy. 14.5kg, skinny. Second one is 1.5 year old, problem of growth since birth. 8kg, very skinny. They eat what i cook to them everyday, no processed food, little sugar, little fat. They don't gain weight. I wasn't gaining any fat until 18 years old myself, exactly the same as my children. Very skinny, i could have eat everything in my teen, with the excess that comes with it, nothing.

I know for sure something made me gain weight like never before in my early twenties and that changed something in my body ever since. What ? Explain to me please.

This mechanism is misknown, the nutritionist told me. I'm doing intermittent fasting for two months now, i feel healthy, but the kilos didn't move... Yet if ever.

That graph actually seals the deal to me.
It can't just be people eating too much calories and not going to the gym.

In 27 years, something concrete has to be causing this. I'm betting it's hormonal, with endocrine disruptors doing the work.

It can't be caused by a slow change of lifestyle over the years. It's absurd. We are talking about what ? 27 years ?
I'm not going to pretend to be knowledgeable enough about metabolic abnormalities or hormone levels or thyroid issues that can affect somebody's ability or ease of putting on or losing weight. But your post seems to be asking me to believe your body is violating conservation of mass and energy, instead of believing you just suck at judging how much you actually eat or exercise.

Yeah, something concrete is causing this. Maybe it's partially all the hormones that are going into foods, but it's also because portions are way bigger now, fast food is super calorie-dense, and people have much easier access to it/it's cheaper/they eat more.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Mixed feelings. My length is 1,95 and I used to weigh 95 kilo. After a lot of walking, eating less and taking long trips on the bike I'm currently around 68 kg. I do know people that eat a lot less and exercise a lot but are extremely overweight. It's frustrating for them.

On the other hand I know some people that keep saying that it's in their genes to weigh a lot. One of them does absolutely nothing to lose weight. Does everything on bike, eats a lot and transformed the exercise evening in a drinking night. But still he complains that he's gaining weight.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fatty foods are cheaper while the healthier foods are more expensive. That's one of the main reasons.

That and people don't want to exercise. That's a problem for me. Went from 260 to 225 by adjusting my diet/portions, but I'm at a standstill now until I actually start exercising.

principal

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Aussies are turning into fatties as well.

They are lucky they were skinny when they were young or else they would have very severe health issues. I'm worried about their kids though, I see some very chubby kids around.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I would not discount the poor work life balance we have here. It makes high caloric convenience foods more appealing.
While you're right... Japan has a far worse work ethic, and they're not suffering from an obesity epidemic, as far as I know! It's a part of it, but definitely not the whole picture.

(I know you weren't saying that, but hey figured I'd comment anyway.)

Oct 25, 2017
You are right. I think it has a lot to do with when towns/cities were settled/developed. I imagine any town that has been around since the revolutionary war is pretty well situated and that is the case with many suburban towns surrounding NYC.

I live in the tri state area and many towns around me don't have accessible trails within walking distance. Hell, some neighborhoods don't even have damn sidewalks

Alej

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm not going to pretend to be knowledgeable enough about metabolic abnormalities or hormone levels or thyroid issues that can affect somebody's ability or ease of putting on or losing weight. But your post seems to be asking me to believe your body is violating conservation of mass and energy, instead of believing you just suck at judging how much you actually eat or exercise.

Yeah, something concrete is causing this. Maybe it's partially all the hormones that are going into foods, but it's also because portions are way bigger now, fast food is super calorie-dense, and people have much easier access to it/it's cheaper/they eat more.

I don't suck at judging how much i eat and exercise. I'm not telling lies. In fact any nutritionnist would tell you the same.

It varies a lot. We aren't equal about this. And it can't be described by only taking eating behaviour into account.

I don't have thyroid problem myself.

And i don't deny any of the solutions proposed, like eating more veggies, doing more exercises, eating less overall. Clearly it should work. You just have to acknowledge everyone has different metabolism/genetics, and being obese doesn't mean you are eating 3000+ calories a day while spending your time on the couch.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Yup.

At 6'2 my "normal" range is 144-194.

I used to weigh 155 and I looked like a POW.

I currently lift a lot and have almost no body fat and am at 225 (which it says is overweight... to which I lol).

It's a general indicator but by no means accurate across the board.

I'm 6'3 and it says I could go to 148. A couple of years ago I was 190 pounds and a 32 waist, not sure how much further down I could go before I looked ridiculous. Not as ridiculous as ending up at 265 right enough.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I guess, I have always lived in towns where this is doable or part of everyday life as well.
Yeah American suburbs are literally designed for cars. Even dropping off mail is designed around cars where you drive up to drop off your mail and many pharmacies and banks have drive up ATMs and drop offs as well. Even just going around the block or across the street in some commercial areas requires that you use a car because there are literally no sidewalks.

Even here on this very thread, people are talking about mostly food and it causing obesity and only a select few are talking about the design of our cities in the English speaking world.

Monkeyball

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 19, 2018
Mixed feelings. My length is 1,95 and I used to weigh 95 kilo. After a lot of walking, eating less and taking long trips on the bike I'm currently around 68 kg. I do know people that eat a lot less and exercise a lot but are extremely overweight. It's frustrating for them.

On the other hand I know some people that keep saying that it's in their genes to weigh a lot. One of them does absolutely nothing to lose weight. Does everything on bike, eats a lot and transformed the exercise evening in a drinking night. But still he complains that he's gaining weight.

You must be very skinny now.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is BMI the one that doesn't measure accurately? Like a body builder would be considered obese under it, right?

To an extent, yeah. I was calculated to need a far less than average body fat percentage to get into a "normal" weight category due to muscle mass. My family have all been short people who stack on muscle quickly. That being said, most people don't really fall into that category. I still need to lose some weight though, but I only consider recommendations provided by professionals who utilise body scans, measurements and dietary considerations.

Oct 31, 2017
You know things are screwed up when a large pizza is cheaper than getting a small pizza.

The other day I was trying to get peanut butter, it took me 10 minutes to find one without sugar.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am biased on this subject because at one point at 24 I was around 280/290 lbs and had a horrible diet partying too much and eating whatever I wanted. I started going to the gym and strictly counting calories and lost about 60 lbs in 6 months to get at a healthy 225. A few years later I just finished another dirty-ish bulk (I know, I know) to hit my goals in the gym and I'm dieting away about 15 lbs now doing intermittent fasting this time (16/8 or 18/6 depending on the day, 6 days a week) and I'm seeing results without even having to count calories this time.

I totally understand why some people get fat (I know firsthand the reasons I did), but I have a hard time understanding why people have difficulty losing weight if they're actually making a conscious effort to try. Consume less calories than you burn daily. That's all you have to do.

It's one thing to be fat and fine with yourself, it's not healthy but more power to you, but if you're claiming that you can't lose weight no matter what you do you're likely doing it wrong to begin with. I honesty think people in general are just really bad when it comes to dieting on their own, and mainly it lies with it being hard to just eyeball caloric values or estimate portions. I had to use an app for the first few months and it was tedious as hell, but it worked.

From the research I've done, while a thyroid condition can have some impact on weight gain and weight loss, having it account for being the sole reason you're 50 lbs overweight is a flimsy excuse.

Is BMI the one that doesn't measure accurately? Like a body builder would be considered obese under it, right?

Yea. BMI hasn't meant anything to me for several years now. Typically once you start putting on some muscle you want to measure body fat percentage instead. Muscle weighs more than fat.

Last edited:

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I don't suck at judging how much i eat and exercise. I'm not telling lies. In fact any nutritionnist would tell you the same.

It varies a lot. We aren't equal about this. And it can't be described by only taking eating behaviour into account.

And i don't deny any of the solutions proposed, like eating more veggies, doing more exercises, eating less overall. Clearly it should work. You just have to acknowledge everyone has different metabolism/genetics, and being obese doesn't mean you are eating 3000+ calories a day while spending your time on the couch.
I do agree and acknowledge that there are other contributing factors like metabolism and genetics. But your case, if as extreme as it sounds in your first post, I have a really hard time believing you aren't the exception rather than the norm. The simple explanation is most likely that most of the obesity numbers are caused by poor lifestyle choices.

I'm still not going to believe that anyone with a daily caloric deficit doesn't lose weight over time, unless I see some empirical data from a completely controlled study.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's especially bad in the southeast. As a single guy in my mid-20's it kinda makes it hard to find people to date tbh. Going on trips to Italy or even Colorado blows my mind with how many people look fit and athletic.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017

Most folks gain weight due to lack of activity and poor eating. Obesity has risen, not remained stagnant. That only shows that our overall diets and activity isn't working for the body. You probably have a metabolic problem, your case isn't the majority or even the norm.

MisterZimbu

Oct 27, 2017
instead of the useless "per serving" table, there should be a "per 100 g" table so you can easily calculate percentages and compare percentages between different brands

They already do this. I'm pretty sure the serving size for a product is mandated by the FDA on a food-by-food basis, so there's no room for brands to deviate, unless I'm reading https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=101.12 wrong.

Just displaying a "per 100 g" amount across the board sounds more useless to me, considering that different foods have different weights. Is seeing how many calories are in a 1/4 pound of tic tacs really useful?

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
They already do this. I'm pretty sure the serving size for a product is mandated by the FDA on a food-by-food basis, so there's no room for brands to deviate, unless I'm reading https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=101.12 wrong.

Just displaying a "per 100 g" amount across the board sounds more useless to me, considering that different foods have different weights. Is seeing how many calories are in a 1/4 pound of tic tacs really useful?
it could be useful if you want to compare nutritional stats between different types of foods

say if you want to compare tic-tacs to potato chips

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Normalising obesity should stop and people with high BMI who "have grown to accept their body" should be more conscious of what they are saying. If you love your body you'd think you'd be taking care of things like your heart and your knees.
As much as I despise people who mock "uggos" and the "fat acceptance" movement, I do think it's a really unhealthy movement because it absolves people of accountability for their health.

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017

This isn't true. The majority of the populations bmr is within 200 cal of each other. There isn't more than a few percentage points difference between one person's metabolism and another.

People are fact because they eat too much and because they don't move enough.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
This thread made me calculate my BMI. Now I realize I'm overweight. Now I'm depressed and need food to cope.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm around a 23 BMI these days. I was obese once at over 32 BMI, though.

Thank god I discovered low-carb eating.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
America even body shames thin people into being fat

you can often hear "somebody get that girl a cheeseburger!" directed at people who I would not even classify as skinny but just normal healthy weight.

After living in Japan and China for so many years.. it is weird to see what Americans classify as skinny haha

CynicalSyndie

Apr 16, 2018
Personally as someone who's getting in decent shape for the first time in his life, cut out soda and beer if you drink much. I pretty much only drink ice water, unsweetened iced tea, and seltzer.