• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For those unnaware, it seems like there is a new San Diego studio being created by Sony and the rumours are that they are working on a new Uncharted.

We all know that Visceral's Star Wars game (which was being led by Amy) got cancelled. I dont think we have any idea where did she land after that right?

So yeah... wouldnt it make sense for her to go back to her series? Who better than the creator herself to lead a new generation of Uncharted?

I guess some would say there could be some bad blood involved, but I dont think so. That was just internet craze about Druckmann being an evil lord. Besides, she wouldnt be coming back to Naughty Dog. It is a new studio.

Also, to be quite honest, I dont think there is a better publisher out there right now than Sony if she wishes to keep making story driven SP cinematic games. The big thirs party publishers are all about GaaS in the AAA space nowadays.

Edit: Thread title is wrong :(

Mods please change to: "Amy Henning should lead Sony's new rumoured Uncharted studio" or something like that

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted 3 will be brought up but Henning had a lot to do with the creation of the IP. She'd be a good fit if Sony WWS can look past the first iteration of Uncharted 4.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It definitely would be cool to see her brought back into the fold and given a new team to continue her "baby"; I think it would also alleviate a lot of concerns that people are inevitably going to have when it's revealed that a new studio is taking on the reins of such a beloved franchise.

That said, something clearly went wrong with Uncharted 4, and while I'm not here to speculate about the exact nature of that, it must have been in bad shape for such drastic measures to be taken.

Then again, I'm sure all parties learned a lot from that experience and it wouldn't be replicated again.

I'm all for it -- but I'm also fine with a talented new director stepping up to the task.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I preferred Henning's free-spirited, Speilbergian tone to the melodrama of UC4 - so I would be excited for this. Especially since the rumor around the Star Wars game was that she was just actively trying to make an Uncharted game in the SW universe.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
A new studio just to work on more uncharted? I'd much rather they build new IP :(

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
give me an uncharted game focused on sully and sam naughty dog. we aint doing the new gen till I get my grumpy old men adventures, and no nathan drake please.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If you're Amy, would you go back to Uncharted after ND threw away your story for UC4 and unceremoniously let you go?

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
As nice as that is. I think Amy has much more to offer than being constrained to Uncharted.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
It being separate from ND, & them doing uncharted, honestly wouldn't be surprised to have them bring her out at PSX to announce something like this

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that will be cool. As long as the Uncharted 4 team stays far away from the next game. Didn't even feel like an Uncharted game.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
After UN4 and then SW would Sony want her to lead another project? I'd love Bruce to be there but he is working on something else.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Amy Hennig should be considered to lead the new rumored Uncharted studio if she's interested in doing that and not something else entirely because she's a creative person with a likely a lot of ideas and aspirations.*

Oct 30, 2017
I totally understand why Sony wants more Uncharted games, but damn the ending to 4 was perfect and I don't know if a new one would hit the same highs 4 and the standalone Lost Legacy did.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking hated what they did with 4 so I'm all in if Henning comes back. She's one of the best on the industry.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I don't see any mileage left in the Uncharted series. Lost Legacy had new protagonists but it still felt tired and more of the same. Henning would be better working on something new rather than going backwards.

But then we don't need another Indiana Jones movie either, but we seem to be getting one anyway.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely would be cool to see her brought back into the fold and given a new team to continue her "baby"; I think it would also alleviate a lot of concerns that people are inevitably going to have when it's revealed that a new studio is taking on the reins of such a beloved franchise.

That said, something clearly went wrong with Uncharted 4, and while I'm not here to speculate about the exact nature of that, it must have been in bad shape for such drastic measures to be taken.

Then again, I'm sure all parties learned a lot from that experience and it wouldn't be replicated again.

I'm all for it -- but I'm also fine with a talented new director stepping up to the task.
I still like Amy's darker version better than what Neil went with. Having Drake's brother be super upset at him for leaving him in a prison for 15 years made more sense than what we ended up getting. I mean you can feel the animosity in the voice of Sam in this teaser. 'YOU LEFT ME ROTTING IN THAT HELL HOLE!'

It's sooo good. Obviously it went to development hell so things must have been really bad as you said. but i wouldve loved to see them to go at it throughout the game and maybe team up at the end or something.

Because it's the best in the series?

Don't @ me.
You are wrong.

Dont @ me either

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
nah would rather have the people who were at the helm for lost legacy do it instead

Fruit&Nut

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Mar 16, 2018
From what Alan Tudyk said, it seems there was bad blood. Also from what Nolan North said I believe. She left due to creative disputes or flat out being fired. Even without Star Wars it seems like she would've been pushed aside.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
hell! - now that she's available, i say we go with rhianna pratchett!

kidding! seriously, kidding! :) ...

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think she'll ever be in a position as authoritative as she was for Uncharted 1, 2 and 3 again. She put in years of her life into the series, and then Naughty Dog did another one without her, and then an entirely new studio is taking over. I think a creative type would want nothing more than to move on.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
A new studio and their first game would be uncharted? Ehhhh. I'd rather her not be stuck on this.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
A new studio just to work on more uncharted? I'd much rather they build new IP :(

Maybe they will in the future, but it seems that Sony is establishing this studio purely for the purpose of continuing Uncharted at this time. Which is fine by me -- it allows Naughty Dog to experiment with new things, while the people who are passionate about Uncharted have an opportunity to continue working on a franchise that's beloved around the world.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
She made the funnest uncharted games, but I still wish we would've seen her flex her writing/dialogue skills another property. That cancelled Star Wars game maaaan :/

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
hell! - now that she's available, i say we go with rhianna pratchett!

kidding! seriously, kidding! :) ...
buffy_sees_what_you_did.gif

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Hennig should have carte blanche to do whatever she pleases. One of the greats.

Not sure her talents are best served on more Uncharted though (or that more Uncharted is needed, for that matter).

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted needs new ideas and new creative drivers if it returns.

Respect the hell out of Amy and whatever she does next, I hope it's something not like what she has spent the last 15 years doing.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wait. Hennig is a free agent? There's another Uncharted? A new First Party studio?

It's all unconfirmed at this stage, but Sony has been hiring people in San Diego for a new studio working in "collaboration" with a major first-party team. A lot of ex-Uncharted employees have been recruited I believe.

It could be wrong, but given how well Uncharted sells, and Sony's comments about wanting to expand popular franchises, it doesn't really take a genius to figure out what's going on.

I believe the studio is situated literally within Sony's mocap studio space, too, which makes perfect sense for an Uncharted team.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
would be pretty weird for her to work with Naughty Dog again (since that is probably a condition of another studio taking over the franchise --> Naughty Dog overlooking the project/helping out)

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any actual rumor of the studio being for Uncharted? Always just seemed like one site's speculation based on job listings.

Plus I don't think Amy would want to return. It does not sound like she left amicably.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sony (and other developers/publishers) should try and get her, but tbh I kinda wanna see her on something unique. However, if she feels like she could tell another Uncharted story or has strong ideas for the next one I'm down! Tho I still need to play Lost Legacy lol.