• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
A generation raised on Hollywood adaptations of Shadow the Hedgehog and Kingdom Hearts. Maybe global warming won't be a problem after all because the planet itself will implode from cringe within the decade.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I don't expect this to be good, but for the opposite reason as everyone else haha. I would prefer if Nomura is heavily involved and they go batshit with it and make some alternate-timeline-yet-also-canon-to-the-games-and-needed-for-KH4 bullshit.

In reality this is going to be executive-meddled to heck, forced into focusing too much on Disney IPs, but already a lot of the Disney stuff in Kingdom Hears is "Look, it's like the movie but it's in a game!"

"Look, it's a Disney movie! But in a movie!" isn't exciting; and there's minimal chance executives will let the writers proceed with something actually creative here.

Fully willing to be pleasantly wrong though.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
we need tom hanks to re-create the most important moment in gaming history

XqHM6nE.jpeg

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Like with other DanielRPK rumors, best to wait for someone else to corroborate this before we get our hopes up. He has a bit of a spotty track record outside of trailer release dates.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like this is about 18-19 years too late. KH is old hat now, but I guess maybe this will get the brand in front of young people's eyeballs and who knows maybe if Disney gets writers on board with KH they'll be able to produce something a bit more restrained and comprehensible.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Watch the whole thing basically just be Avengers starring characters from the live action remakes being pulled together by Sora to fight Ansem.

Though, they already did live action Kingdom Hearts, kinda.
11eb5cee2bfc-ouat-1-t.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think you might be confusing fan discussion and desire for actual rumors.

Daniel is a shaky source but this is the first time I can remember a source that is at least half-reliable reporting on a Kingdom Hearts film. Certainly nothing close to "Disney has tried 14 times."

Also, it was absolutely happen eventually. It's never been more likely than now, with the boom in game adaptations.

14 times was an exaggeration, but the fact remains that Disney has attempted a KH adaptation multiple times in the past, including the animated pilot we had linked on Era some time ago. The problem is that every time they've tried to make a KH movie or show in the past, the talks have fallen apart either due to creative disagreements or (more commonly) Disney executives just not seeing the value in the project and scuttling it. KH has always been a curiosity for Disney at best, and investing an insane amount of money in it beyond the games always scares them off.

If you don't want to believe me, fine, but I've literally spoken to people, myself, who would be in the position to know this. I don't have connections inside Disney anymore, but back in the day I did. There is no point in Daniel even talking about this until the project is actually moving forward and announced, because it will almost definitely die in pre-preproduction like all the rest.

This is the problem with these fucking scoopmongers. They just rake around for any tidbits they can throw out to get attention for their Twitter accounts or podcasts or Patreons, and then everyone winds up pissed off when the project doesn't happen.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
Very curious and excited. I would wish that it would be developed by Square Enix because I have some doubts that Disney will be able to fully capture the essence of Kingdom Hearts. But I'm trying to be optimistic and maybe it will be a very welcoming surprise.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
If they just made a standalone movie based on KH1 with traditionally animated Disney worlds looking just like the movies I'd actually be interested, but we all know this will be set up for the next movie and cinematic universe out the whazoo. And of course every Disney world will be pixarized cgi. Imagine if Donald and Goofy looked like their classic 2d cartoon selves and Geenie looked just like he did in Aladdin.

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I still believe that Star Wars Visions show was a audition for which Animation studio could work with SE/ Disney and do a KH anime. But who knows if this is Live Action or Animated.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing like the recent game no FF characters will be present.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I want to see this reach $1b box office.

Imagine Square Enix if their Final Fantasy characters in real Disney film...

Liodin

Apr 14, 2022
Please be an adaptation of Union X or a new canon story. If it's KH1 I'm not interested.

But whatever it is, it better be good and get more people interested in playing the games.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Honestly, do it in animation and lean into the crazy - it'd be a huge hit. The nostalgia is VERY there for a more... digestible version of the series.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, do it in animation and lean into the crazy - it'd be a huge hit. The nostalgia is VERY there for a more... digestible version of the series.

I think the problem is that KH isn't really...that popular anymore? It's a nostalgia ploy for one specific sub-demographic of Disney fans who were also gamers in the late 2000s. And who knows how much that fandom survived the end of KH3.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Disney said, "Welp, I guess it's time to cash this in one last time before we fuck it up forever".

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think the problem is that KH isn't really...that popular anymore? It's a nostalgia ploy for one specific sub-demographic of Disney fans who were also gamers in the late 2000s. And who knows how much that fandom survived the end of KH3.
I think the key demographic here is "nostalgic millennials who played KH 1/2". Think the X-Men '97 approach - you want people who fell off the IP after awhile.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Hope springs eternal! Sob.

I always think the only way a Kingdom Hearts adaptation could really work is as a television show -- otherwise the majority of the episodic Disney worlds would have to be removed, and then you lose half the fun of the premise.

your gonna get simple and clean by taylor swift and like it

oh god don't even

2 actually has the best story tho.

KH2 is two extremes for me -- everything with Roxas is absolutely fantastic, while everything else with Organization XIII is... less so.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

don't think that's fair to say when KH3 was the highest-selling title in the series

sure, you could say "all those people left after" but it's the last hard figure we have (aside from the rhythm game) and it does not at all support your conclusion