• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 25, 2019
London
  • Expand Bottom of the Well
  • Expand Hyrule Castle Town
  • Introduce a Light Temple for Rauru that can always serve as an adult Link training ground/place for the hookshot
  • Have a reason for young Link to visit the Gerudos before Adult Link has to go there. Maybe introduce Nabooru here as well
  • Allow Zoras Domain to become unfrozen after completing the Water Temple
  • Finally allow us to get the Triforce in this game

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
More things to do on the overworld/Hyrule Field with items, i guess.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
More, slower Owl dialogue

1OwtK_d.webp

the he hits you with Kaepora hotline

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRIHLq7OrFg

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Almost nothing, perhaps make the general controls as smooth/expressive as Wind Waker or Twilight Princess? Hyrule Field could also benefit from a bit more to populate it?

Other than that there's basically nothing you should change. Frankly adding stuff to the overworld would be more than I'd expect!

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Everyone's mentioned the owl or graphics or controls so:

- Bring in that Hyrule Field track from the Collection that mixes the classic Ocarina Hyrule Field with the Zelda theme
- make the exterior locations feel bigger, even if they're still the same size thanks to more things in the distance
- more secrets hidden around
- make the fishing minigame larger and maybe add more fishing spots or just let us fish anywhere.
- add in a MQ like NG+ mode that completely remixes the dungeons, maybe even with a randomizer.

Luneth

Aug 5, 2020
If you change these things it wouldn't be Ocarina of Time anymore. I don't think you can remake OoT like FFVII, the only thing I could see it's a graphical overhaul like Metroid Prime Remastered or OoT 3D.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
If they're making massive changes like people want, why not develop a new game at that point

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
If you change these things it wouldn't be Ocarina of Time anymore. I don't think you can remake OoT like FFVII, the only thing I could see it's a graphical overhaul like Metroid Prime Remastered or OoT 3D.

Honestly, I've been expecting a Switch port/remaster of OOT and MM 3D for literal years.

I just assumed they'd show up at some point. I'm legit shocked.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Besides graphics, I might expand the overworld a bit and obviously provide more detail and things to interact with. I don't want full open world like BOTW, but a more detailed and larger overworld. Lots of empty space IIRC.

I wouldn't touch the dungeons/temples that much. Maybe QoL stuff and the Water temple.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
I just want the option to play as Linkle. I don't care what else they do (as long as the combat doesn't become too hard) as long as I can play as Linkle. Sick of games having self insert characters who are locked as being men it's 2024 this shouldn't keep fucking happening

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
If they were going to do it I'd want them to go big with it, I think. Do like the FF7 trilogy is doing in term of visual scope and just really expand and flesh out the world. That way we can visit places we know while still having them feel new and exciting. I'd probably extend the same logic to dungeons and temples, make the gist the same but flesh out and expand upon them.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't really have any interest in playing the exact same game but with better graphics and a modernised control scheme, it's not really enough for me. Not when I can just play the N64 or 3DS version at any time if I feel like playing it. I've played the game to death at this point, Master Quest version on Gamecube included.

I'd rather just a brand new game, but if they were to remake Ocarina, I'd prefer more of a reimaging but I understand that the majority wouldn't want that.
I think I'm just at the point in my life where I no longer want to replay games, I want new experiences.

c2c

Mar 4, 2021
To do something that isn't just fan service to those of us who played it in the 90's I think it would have to be reimagined rather than remade (the 3DS remake scratches the nostalgia itch for me. I think it's excellent).

Things I'd like in a reimagining:
- Meaningful exploration
- Deeper combat (I want every encounter to feel how the Stalfos encounter felt when I was a kid)
- Optional content (the best reward in a game is more game. Nobody does this better than FromSoftware, though I think God of War Ragnarok did this really well)
- Atmospheric dungeons with memorable boss designs

I'd personally enjoy these games more if they were challenging, but I understand that's not for everyone. With that said, I think BOTW and TOTK start off as challenging games that struggle with difficulty scaling due to the open world format. That should be easier to implement in Ocarina of Time.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I would include more cinematics and voice acting. By the way let's make the water temple more accessible and intuitive, i dont care if that means changing it completely

Nov 13, 2017
Implement all the changes from the 3DS version, for starters.

Add a Light Temple dungeon. Getting the light medallion always felt anticlimactic to me. You get the Zora Sapphire, Ocarina of TIme, Master Sword, and Hookshot within 10-15 minutes, back to back to back to back.

Unfreeze Zora's Domain after clearing the Water Temple. Add vines to get back into the Ice Cavern after this happens, as the icebergs shouldn't be there anymore. Put the piece of heart that was on the iceberg at the bottom of the lake, possibly move the one that's already at the bottom of the lake, or just have them both down there for comedic effect.

Sandstorm in the wasteland should go away after completing the Spirit Temple.

Do more with the spirits in the Bottom of the Well. We see the spirit escape the well and go into the Shadow Temple, but that spirit is not present in the Bottom of the Well dungeon at all.

A way to change from adult to child on command, like the mirror from A Link to the Past.

Allow us to beat the postman.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Truly? Nothing.

Maybe have a way to recover more magic during the ganondorf battle, lol

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Better final boss.

Nothing about Ganon was intimidating. The entire game beforehand? Flawless.

Being thrown against a lumbering moron twice my height with a quarter of my agility whom I could dance circles around with iron boots and the megaton hammer equipped was an S-tier letdown.

Dial that shit up to, like 5.

That alone would be a huge improvement.

inkblot

Mar 27, 2024
This may be too vague, but Nintendo would basically have to overhaul a bunch of things to make the game FEEL like the original. That could fall into several categories like using the OG as a blueprint but drastically increasing the scope and density of Hyrule Field and Towns with more NPCs and side-dialogue elements that exacerbate the feelings of prosperity vs calamity between the two time loops. Another thing is that they should crank the difficulty up or overhaul the combat system since everyone in the industry has built so much on top of what this game originally innovated on.

I think it's a MASSIVE and DAUNTING task to take on basically THE Nintendo classic game, but I think they've got what it takes if they fully commit to the idea to honor its legacy and impact as a game.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
I recently saw someone talk about this. Don't the pots at the bottom have magic, along with arrows and hearts?
They do, but they are finite, and if you break the pots and take the items before you get up top to start the fight, they're empty during the fight. Ends up being a beginner's trap and a flow killer if you aren't great at aiming light arrows.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
the game could certainly get a lot of expansion outside the dungeons. the only part i feel i would keep largerly the same with better graphics is the dungeons and even so, a few of them would need some tweaks/expansion.

also, make it way less linear to mirror how it feels to play with glitches. this game is incredibly open if you learn a few glitches to reach places early. the classic Zelda formula never felt as good as this and it's still the one thing i still wish gets revisted at some point since we never got a mostly open designed Zelda in the mold of the older 3D entries.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Instead of Saria's Ocarina just breaking, it would be more heartfelt I think if Link just held onto it and gives it back to her when they meet again later on. Or, maybe it can be displayed in Link's Kokiri Forest home? I mean, you can get yourself a cow in there, surely there's room for an Ocarina display lol

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
A couple things on the wishlist:
  • As with OoT 3D, make boots a C-button item.
    • Also let us assign stuff to the D-pad. It's a bit unwieldy, but it's also four extra item shortcut keys that weren't doing much of anything other than toggling the minimap on/off (with D-up). Perfect for boots, masks, the Ocarina, and more.
  • Make the 100 Skulltula token reward actually meaningful: have it break the curse on the whole house, make the reward not suck, etc.
    • Reward suggestion: the Bottomless Wallet. Revealed to be the source of the family's curse, it's a now-purified wallet with unlimited rupees. Picking up rupees now bestows different effects: greens restore a small amount of magic, blues give a bombchu, reds restore a lot of health, etc. A non-essential but cool reward.
  • Make bosses replayable, similar to how Majora's Mask did it (glowing portal at the dungeon entrance that takes you to the boss).
    • OoT 3D's boss rush was cool, but limited: you only had the stats/items they provided you. Necessary for time trials I guess, but give us the refight option above too!
  • More bottles to replace inventory slots that become useless:
    • Have some way to trade the Claim Check for a bottle after you get the Biggoron's Sword. The Check is a completely useless inventory spot otherwise.
    • Make it so the Bean Seller now eats the beans from a bottle instead of a sack. Once all 10 Magic Beans have been planted, he'll offer you the bottle for 200 rupees, which replaces the useless "zero Magic Beans" inventory slot.
  • The big one: a randomizer. I'm addicted to the one in Ship of Harkinian, and it would be really cool to see an official release of OoT that let you roll your own randoed save files. Bonus points if you can also enter the seed code yourself (and thus share particularly fun ones with friends, compete for best times, etc).

Oh, and unfreeze Zora's Domain when Water Temple and Ice Cavern is cleared. Always seemed odd that didn't happen. (Probably cut for time during development.)

Great Martinez Jr.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
Honestly, outside of the mandatory graphical update, as well as improved controls, UI and some QoL features, I honestly don't think the game should be changed much/at all.

Maybe add a few more secrets or enemies on Hyrule Field and a special game over screen if you die in the final battle against Ganon, but that's it.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Remakes of first-party Nintendo games that add significant content usually don't make sense because of how iterative the company's games already are and how light they tend to be on story content. Each sequel on a new console generation is sort of already a remake of the last one. Twilight Princess kinda already fulfilled the same role as what this thread is asking for.

The only Nintendo example of this kind of remake I can think of off the top of my head is Metroid Zero Mission (I haven't played Samus Returns).

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I would want a third time period. So you have young link, then adult link, then Windwaker

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I would have it in the multiverse and split it to at least two games. Then I would take its current genre of action/adventure and toss that for either character action or turn based.

Sarcasm aside not sure I would ever want a remake, I don't think it would hold up well (or would feel so vastly different that they may as well create a new entry).