• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
So in 20 years I could make a console that runs PS4 games without fear of retaliation?

But it runs sega games
If you could reverse engineer the PS4 without stepping on any patents, copyrights, or trademarks then yes, you could. The PS4 is obscenely more complicated than the Mega Drive or SNES was though so good luck on that first part.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
So in 20 years I could make a console that runs PS4 games without fear of retaliation?

But it runs sega games
The PS4 has copyrighted firmware and a copyrighted OS, and those copyrights will still be valid for a long time.

Really old systems like the NES, SNES and MegaDrive don't have either of those things, so there's nothing to infringe upon by reimplementing them via hardware emulation.

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I sssooo want this I'm super satisfied with the Super NT and I was hoping they would make one for Sega.
Hopefully, it will be easier to order one in the coming weeks.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 has copyrighted firmware and a copyrighted OS, and those copyrights will still be valid for a long time.

Really old systems like the NES, SNES and MegaDrive don't have either of those things, so there's nothing to infringe upon by reimplementing them via hardware emulation.

Sega CD does have firmware (which is the BIOS AFAIK). I'm guessing they managed to reverse engineer that.

I remember when commercial PS1 emulators were released in the late 90's using reverse-engineered BIOS software and Sony sued them. I don't think they actually won any lawsuits, but rather just brute forced the companies into bankruptcy from mounting legal costs.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
So how does Analogue's Snes consoles vs SNES mini compare and What does Mega sg mean for official Genesis Mini? As a massive Sega fan should I wait for official Genesis mini or Should I preorder this. So confused but excited anyway lol

That Gunstar Heroes emulation is top notch
SNES Mini and presumably the upcoming Genesis Mini are emulation boxes, they run cheap hardware that emulates the systems. They also come with a number of ROMs built in (buy the box for its 20 or 30 games). The Nintendo boxes have been decent quality, but add a lot of lag and definitely aren't all that accurate (though better than the old Virtual Console).

These Analogue machines are a huge step up from that - first off they use real cartridges, not downloaded ROMs (not officially anyways). More importantly, they use an FPGA, which is a chip that can be reconfigured to recreate any other chip or group of chips (FPGAs are used these days to prototype new chips in fact). It's not emulation, but basically recreating the original hardware, and altering it slightly for direct HD video and audio output straight from the chips that create the video and audio signals, so there is no latency or upconverting artifacts. It's technically not as perfectly accurate as using the original hardware chips, but Analogue has a very dedicated FPGA programmer who reverse engineers the original consoles to the smallest detail, who has been working on this sorta thing for years.

You can get this kind of accuracy from an emulator, but you need a powerful PC to do it, there's no way the really accurate emulators will be ported to a $100 box anytime soon.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
This is what i have been waiting for, but there is still a piece missing.
The digital to analogue converter that Analogue teased at, sometime in the past.

I love the accuracy, but i still want it on a big stupid glass tube.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Keeping an eye on this one... I absolutely love my consumer Trinitron and HD Retrovision component setup, but as someone with over 300 individual Genesis titles, it's hard for me to not want this thing. And that Game Gear adapter might just be just enough to tip me over the edge on a preorder...

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
It's not in the mega sg though, people have to provide their own mega cd.

Okay, so it's supposed to work with the original hardware? I assumed it was straight up integrated emulation.

Kind of disappointing really since those very early CD systems are so fickle and unreliable with their components. Would have been quite cool to have a modernized substitute.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so it's supposed to work with the original hardware? I assumed it was straight up integrated emulation.

Kind of disappointing really since those very early CD systems are so fickle and unreliable with their components. Would have been quite cool to have a modernized substitute.

Agreed. Hopefully it's emulated via jailbreak firmware eventually, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

But it runs sega games

The Sega Genesis is entirely off the shelf parts. It uses a standard CPU, the m68000, a VDP designed by texas instruments, a synth chip by yamaha, a sound co-processor by zilog. There is literally no bespoke sega engineering in the Genesis. It doesn't run "sega games," it runs 68000 microprocessor assembly.

The PS4 has an operating system that runs bespoke sony code. You can absolutely clone the hardware of the PS4, but you're going to run into the problem of, essentially, software piracy unless you cleanroom reverse engineer their operating system and kernel.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
If I didn't have my original Genesis hooked up via a Framemeister, I would be all over this.

I DID get the controllers though. :-)

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Man, the fact that a Mega Drive that plays the original cartridges, has HDMI output and is compatible with the Mega CD exists is blowing my mind.

I've held off buying the Super NT, but I don't know if I'll resist this one...

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain the appeal of using an FPGA console on a CRT instead of using the original hardware? Is it just the peace of mind that comes with one machine doing it all?

I get it in cases where it's hard to get RGB-out from the original, but that's not really the case here.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Damn! This is the first Analogue product since the original Nt where I wasn't a part of the first group to get preorders in. So this is how the other side lives, eh? LOL

Just waiting for their site to come back up

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain the appeal of using an FPGA console on a CRT instead of using the original hardware? Is it just the peace of mind that comes with one machine doing it all?

I get it in cases where it's hard to get RGB-out from the original, but that's not really the case here.
I'm not getting rid of my original systems any time soon but getting the nt mini was the first time I considered that there could be an actual full swap replacement for my 30+ year old NES. It was the first time I have boxed it up in a way that I feel ok that it isn't super convenient to get to, and I would probably be ok getting rid of it, but not ready for that kind of commitment just yet.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

If I were to keep my Genesis+32X+CD system hooked up, thats a lot of huge wall wart AC adapters taking up space.

Also, I know what to do with HDMI out, I don't really with RGB-out.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017

Couldn't they write their own Sega CD BIOS from scratch?
It would have needed some sort of CD drive of its own. Realize, this isn't a ROM system, it uses cartridges, not downloaded ROMs. It's basically like buying an original Genesis, but one with native HDMI out and some extra emulation-like features, plus support for 8-bit Sega consoles.

SeñorPig

Oct 27, 2017
Got an order in for the JPN variant, i'm so excited. I can't wait to have this sit next to my Super Nt.!

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Genesis 1, 2, 3, CDX, and Nomad plus an OSSC for playing on modern displays. But I gotta add this to the collection lol.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, its 2 am in Asia here, and I'm afraid if I go to sleep they'll all be gone by the time server is up again! :s

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy seeing people got orders in. I've been refreshing since I saw the tweet and nothing but errors.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
The Sega Genesis is entirely off the shelf parts. It uses a standard CPU, the m68000, a VDP designed by texas instruments, a synth chip by yamaha, a sound co-processor by zilog. There is literally no bespoke sega engineering in the Genesis. It doesn't run "sega games," it runs 68000 microprocessor assembly.
Wait, was that particular VDP available separately?

Oct 29, 2017
Oh wow! That's fantastic! There isn't a single good aftermarket MD console out there, so this is sorely needed!

Have to admit though, I do pine for an all-in-one MD FPGA console with a Mega CD and a 32X built-in into the base unit. I know it would be insanely difficult to pull off, considering how much of a literal Frankinstein's Monster that machine is, but man, that would be like a dream come true!

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Been meaning to buy their Super NT, is there any chance I can buy both at the same time and have them shipped together or is the Super NT going to go out of production once this comes on?

For the record, I'm absolutely stoked there's a Mega Drive version of this.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Lack of 32X is a bummer, but I guess I can understand. Not sure if the FPGA it's using is capable of simulating the Genesis and the 32X at the same time, and I don't know how they'd get the analog pass-through to work with the real one.

As I understand it, supporting the Sega CD just means adding a compatible expansion slot to the bottom, whereas the 32X required a hackish analog video overlay system and there's no way that would work unless it's built into the Mega Sg. And considering the 32X's library, I can understand why they wouldn't put in the effort for that.

Yeah, it definitely makes sense but it's still a bummer. I don't blame them though for passing on it.

I hope we'll be able to run ISOs of Sega CD games directly from an SD card. Will help with preserving that finicky Sega CD hardware.

I was wondering how long it would take for this to come up. Important question but I would be surprised if we get an official response on this with the way they (understandably) danced around this with the Super Nt. I mean, for obvious reasons Analogue isn't making their own Sega CD adapter so I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Sega CD core from Smoke Monster at some point but the fact that they're putting out adapters for stuff like SMS and GG probably means we're not getting those cores? It'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.