• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcx4610

Nov 13, 2017
Any word if the Super NT supports class 10 SD cards or should I buy the standard class? I plan on doing the jailbreak when mine arrives.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Honestly curious:

What's the point in buying this if you're only planning on running ROMs with it through an SD card? Why not just get a Raspberry Pi or even hack a SNES classic? They're pretty easy to come by these days and are a lot cheaper.

To me the whole point of this product is to play your old SNES cartridges in HD, so I really don't understand the point in buying this if you're just going to do what people have already been able to do for a while now.

What am I missing?

I sold most of my SNES carts back in the day (used to have a huge collection, then realized I'd rarely be able to play them with work and babies and school). That and I needed to pay for baby clothes and formula and stuff.

These days the kids are older and I have some time again, but I'm not interested in storing a bunch of rarely-played carts.

I have a SNES classic modded, and a fully decked out retropie for fun (with the games I wanted) with videos and everything all set up.

But the Super NT is going to get used more - primarily for the accuracy and less lag experience vs emulation solutions.

You could do similarly with higan and a good PC...my i7 laptop runs higan pretty decently. But getting it to a plug-and-play / quick to use TV solution would take some more effort. You could go emulation station on x86, but one with enough oomph for higan would take some effort.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Uber n00b questions :)

1. How possible is it for someone to hack into the SuperNT FW and add ROM support without having access to the original source code?

2. Months ago I used to download Smoke Monsters ROM packs but I can't find them anymore. Have these moved to elsewhere? Thanks!
They're on archive.org (if you're talking about the everdrive packs)

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Uber n00b questions :)

1. How possible is it for someone to hack into the SuperNT FW and add ROM support without having access to the original source code?

2. Months ago I used to download Smoke Monsters ROM packs but I can't find them anymore. Have these moved to elsewhere? Thanks!

1. Because they didn't. It was sent to them via an "Anonymous" source.

2. Archive.org You have to sign up to be able to download.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly curious:

What's the point in buying this if you're only planning on running ROMs with it through an SD card? Why not just get a Raspberry Pi or even hack a SNES classic? They're pretty easy to come by these days and are a lot cheaper.

To me the whole point of this product is to play your old SNES cartridges in HD, so I really don't understand the point in buying this if you're just going to do what people have already been able to do for a while now.

What am I missing?
Neither the Pi nor the SNES Classic are accurate emulations of the SNES. Only emulation that is anywhere near accurate is byuu's Higan aka BSNES. And even that suffers from input lag inherent to all emulators running on top of a modern PC operating system. This Super Nt, being an well-done FPGA-based simulation, is virtually indistinguishable from the real thing in terms of performance, and its scaling to HD beats the Framemeister and OSSC handily.

dcx4610

Nov 13, 2017

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Neither the Pi nor the SNES Classic are accurate emulations of the SNES. Only emulation that is anywhere near accurate is byuu's Higan aka BSNES. And even that suffers from input lag inherent to all emulators running on top of a modern PC operating system. This Super Nt, being an well-done FPGA-based simulation, is virtually indistinguishable from the real thing in terms of performance, and its scaling to HD beats the Framemeister and OSSC handily.
Let's not get carried away with the OSSC claim. The OSSC is far more configurable to get an almost perfect image out of the snes

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not get carried away with the OSSC claim. The OSSC is far more configurable to get an almost perfect image out of the snes
Dude, I have an OSSC. The latest revision with a HDMI output. The SNES's nonstandard clock speed does not play nice with the HDMI's digital audio clock timing and the result is some really nasty noise in the audio signal. Sure, I could run an additional analog audio cable along the long run from my retro rack to my receiver, and completely upend the entire setup on my receiver and jury rigg some kind of contraption to get the analog audio back into the HDMI cable, but that is way too much of a hassle. The audio in the Super Nt's HDMI output is far better.

So yes, once again, with a bit of revision to narrow it down for you, the HDMI output that comes from the Super NT beats the OSSC's HDMI output of a SNES, hands down, without question.

Marqs even suggested modifying the SNES's timing clock to fix the HDMI audio, which there's no way in hell I would ever do.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Jailbreak folks, here is the 240p test suite SNES/SFC rom. Great for checking out overscan (use the grid pattern), incorrect black levels, etc.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/testsuite240p/files/SNES_SFC/?

From what I hear the SNES doesn't get along with the OSSC so well.

The SNES and OSSC actually display properly on my TV without overscanning the image like the Super NT currently does. I expect this will be fixed, though! Kevtris is busy but he's looking into it.

Some TVs don't like 60.09hz refresh rates and that's not the OSSC's fault. The OSSC works fantastically well with the SNES, minus the audio hum which is at a pretty low level. And the OSSC gets patched regularly so this may be fixed.

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Jailbreak folks, here is the 240p test suite SNES/SFC rom. Great for checking out overscan (use the grid pattern), incorrect black levels, etc.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/testsuite240p/files/SNES_SFC/?

The SNES and OSSC actually display properly on my TV without overscanning the image like the Super NT currently does. I expect this will be fixed, though! Kevtris is busy but he's looking into it.

Some TVs don't like 60.09hz refresh rates and that's not the OSSC's fault. The OSSC works fantastically well with the SNES, minus the audio hum which is at a pretty low level. And the OSSC gets patched regularly so this may be fixed.

Do you have an old TV or something? You should be able to set your TV to 0% overscan. The Super NT shouldn't have any overscan unless you are using 5x height for integer scaling. No need for integer scaling unless you care about scanlines.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
So what is the likelihood that the fpga used for the snes nt has the headroom to simulate all the special chips (excluding the seta shougi ones)?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I do. I have 1.6 HDMI and use the audio. There's a low level hum but it's not a big deal unless I use headphones. At least my SNES and OSSC.
Yeah, mine plays through some rather large speakers that reveal everything. It's an obviously digital sounding narrow-band noise in the mid-to-high end of the frequency spectrum.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Do you have an old TV or something? You should be able to set your TV to 0% overscan.

Nope. 2017 LG OLED. LG is approaching 20% of the global market, also, and their LCDs seem to treat inputs like their OLEDs do, too.

I've already done a lot of legwork on this. Display devices look for flags in the HDMI stream and decide whether to overscan based on content type.

HDMI sources that don't overscan on my TV:

Xbox 360
Xbox One
Playstation 4
Playstation 3
Wii U
Switch
PC
OSSC

HDMI sources that do overscan on my TV:

Super NT

8HKZ8Id.png

s0OVQOu.png

Ywpj3EI.png

https://standards.cta.tech/kwspub/published_docs/CTA-861-G_FINAL_revised_2017.pdf

My current guess is that Switch, Xbox One, etc. identify a content type of 'Game' and that if the Super NT does this the overscan issue may be addressed.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what?... It's jailbroken already and we have confirmation of new cores?

Somebody condense the last 48 hours for me...I feel like I've missed a couple of updates.

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nope. 2017 LG OLED. LG is approaching 20% of the global market, also, and their LCDs seem to treat inputs like their OLEDs do, too.

I've already done a lot of legwork on this. Display devices look for flags in the HDMI stream and decide whether to overscan based on content type.

HDMI sources that don't overscan on my TV:

Xbox 360
Xbox One
Playstation 4
Playstation 3
Wii U
Switch
PC
OSSC

HDMI sources that do overscan on my TV:

Super NT

https://standards.cta.tech/kwspub/published_docs/CTA-861-G_FINAL_revised_2017.pdf

My current guess is that Switch, Xbox One, etc. identify a content type of 'Game' and that if the Super NT does this the overscan issue may be addressed.

So, even when you do custom width and height you still get overscan? Weird.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
So is my wireless controller supposed to blink blue for the rest of its life?

I charged it last night and since I unplugged it, it's been blinking. I played a bit thinking that maybe it just needed to pair after charge, but it won't stop.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
So is my wireless controller supposed to blink blue for the rest of its life?

I charged it last night and since I unplugged it, it's been blinking. I played a bit thinking that maybe it just needed to pair after charge, but it won't stop.
What happens if you hold the start button for a few seconds?

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, I have an OSSC. The latest revision with a HDMI output. The SNES's nonstandard clock speed does not play nice with the HDMI's digital audio clock timing and the result is some really nasty noise in the audio signal. Sure, I could run an additional analog audio cable along the long run from my retro rack to my receiver, and completely upend the entire setup on my receiver and jury rigg some kind of contraption to get the analog audio back into the HDMI cable, but that is way too much of a hassle. The audio in the Super Nt's HDMI output is far better.

So yes, once again, with a bit of revision to narrow it down for you, the HDMI output that comes from the Super NT beats the OSSC's HDMI output of a SNES, hands down, without question.

Marqs even suggested modifying the SNES's timing clock to fix the HDMI audio, which there's no way in hell I would ever do.
I run all my retro audio from my scart switch audio out straight into my reciever since my onkyo doesn't like the ossc signal and doesn't play nice with it.

I have an ossc for the picture quality it provides (and I own both revisions :p)

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I run all my retro audio from my scart switch audio out straight into my reciever since my onkyo doesn't like the ossc signal and doesn't play nice with it.

I have an ossc for the picture quality it provides (and I own both revisions :p)
And my gscartsw switch's audio is already going to my PVM setup. My Super Nt gets me HDMI audio and video in one cable into my receiver. No need to do any jury-rigging of a long analog audio cable run to my receiver with somehow re-inserting it into the HDMI input from the OSSC.

Also, Smokemonster is not Kevtris. SD2SNES supports some games with extra chips that the jailbreak won't support at the moment.

Smokemonster has been making these meticulously organized ROM packs for all the flash carts out there for retro consoles for a long time. My Life In Gaming just did a livestream recently using a SD2SNES with Smokemonster's pack for that cart. Guy has been putting in work for the retro community for a very long time.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to read some of the previous posts...So Smokemonster = Kevtris and he just released jailbroken firmware...Uh, does that mean SD2SNES would be redundant, or still to early to tell?
No. Smokemonster is Smokemonsther, and Kevtris is Kevtris. It's 100% "we think this is what happened". Right now, I'm on the stance that Smokemonster released what he made. That's how it is until we are told from a reliable source. SD2SNES isn't redundant at all.

cacophony

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to read some of the previous posts...So Smokemonster = Kevtris and he just released jailbroken firmware...Uh, does that mean SD2SNES would be redundant, or still to early to tell?

The theory is that kevtris secretely handed this firmware to smokemonster for release, but I'm not yet convinced. This makes the basic version of the Super Everdrive redundant (assuming bugs get fixed) but not the sd2snes

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
And my gscartsw switch's audio is already going to my PVM setup. My Super Nt gets me HDMI audio and video in one cable into my receiver. No need to do any jury-rigging of a long analog audio cable run to my receiver with somehow re-inserting it into the HDMI input from the OSSC.

Also, Smokemonster is not Kevtris.
Why would you reinsert it into your ossc? I'm confused. I just get the audio on the reciever and the picture goes straight to hdmi4 on my Vizio (ensuring no added lag from the Onkyo)

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
The theory is that kevtris secretely handed this firmware to smokemonster for release, but I'm not yet convinced. This makes the basic version of the Super Everdrive redundant (assuming bugs get fixed) but not the sd2snes
So from what I understand...the SD2SNES has a built-in FPGA as well, which is why there are these special MSU-1 releases of particular games?

Was MSU-1 an actual chip that was used in the SNES lifecycle? It's the first time I'm ever heard about it.

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Oh, come on, if you are waiting for Kevtris to admit it was him then you'll be waiting a long time. We all know what is going on here. SmokeMonster is simply a middle man so legal action can't be taken against Analogue/Kevtris. Its really as simple as that.

So from what I understand...the SD2SNES has a built-in FPGA as well, which is why there are these special MSU-1 releases of particular games?

Was MSU-1 an actual chip that was used in the SNES lifecycle? It's the first time I'm ever heard about it.

No, that enhancement "chip" was actually created by BYUU for his BSNES emulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.