• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
And out for delivery a day early. Unfortunately my girlfriend has to take our son for a doctor's appointment today so she might not be home when it arrives. I'm hoping that means they just drop it off at the UPS store down the street and not at the place I used to have to pick them up at downtown. I don't mind waiting the extra day to pick it up I just would like to avoid the detour.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I don't have a PC anywhere near the TV, only a PlayStation 4 :(

Well, that's going to have to be the go-to if nothing else works - last thing I want to do is fry the damn thing :(

Worst comes to the worst I have an old adapter tucked away with my Dreamcast somewhere... sigh XD

I don't know what a PS4's USB rating is and more than likely it needs to be on to deliver power so that's probably not gonna work.

Just get the adapter than ktroopa linked. It's a few pounds and it'll ensure you're using a proper 5v2a feed by using Analogue's via adapter.

Oct 25, 2017
Help ERA.

I just went ahead and bought Turn & Burn: No-Fly Zone CIB (missing the white warnings insert, but comes with manual/cart/housing/box) for $15.99 w/ free shipping. A-Am I starting to go down that rabbit hole? I haven't even gotten my Super NT yet!

I have a dozen or so games on my eBay watch list, scoping for good prices. "Hmmm that copy of Super Tennis is only $6... "

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Help ERA.

I just went ahead and bought Turn & Burn: No-Fly Zone CIB (missing the white warnings insert, but comes with manual/cart/housing/box) for $15.99 w/ free shipping. A-Am I starting to go down that rabbit hole? I haven't even gotten my Super NT yet!
You want to talk about going down a rabbit hole, I started buying a new cart collection from scratch for my Super NT, complete with special screwdriver I can use to open the carts to verify they are authentic. I could buy a repro cartridge of Secret of Mana for under $20, instead I paid $70 to make sure it was authentic. Either would give me the same gaming experience (most likely)...

My entire SNES collection now consists of Secret of Mana, Super Castlevania IV (Japanese), Super Donkey Kong 2 (Japanese), and Uniracers (which hasn't arrived yet, I'm hoping authentic but not sure since it was cheap, but claimed to be authentic).

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
So, like the proper numpty I am I don't have the correct power adapter for the USB cable... but from what Analogue say in various places, you need a 5V plug for it - I have a few of these around the house from over the years of upgrading phones, would this be okay to use, its 5V 1A?

https://www.digitalsave.co.uk/apple...MItJuOoa3V2QIVrLztCh1Ogw3JEAQYAyABEgIV6vD_BwE

Kevtris explained the power draw of the SuperNT over on Atariage (he answers questions in his old FPGA thread there).

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/page-263#entry3958632

Kevtris said:
You can, it takes 500ma all by itself, plus whatever cartridge you are using. I found that running an sd2snes took a total of 666ma (really!), and a game genie + super mario world was around 750ma. A supply that can provide 1A or more should be fine (i.e. a lot of TVs can supply at least this much on their own). Just make sure the cable is high quality so there isn't excessive voltage drop. During development I had several cables (they were mainly 'freebies' included with stuff) that had over 1V of drop at 500ma.

The official adapter is 2A. Imagine they just decided to err on the side of caution a bit. Using a lower rated adapter is more likely to cause problems with the adapter than anything else (pushing it by pulling more than it is rated for is hard on power supplies and can burn them out faster). Although someone said that they were a little under-amped over on Atariage and they were getting audio skipping and stuff.

Just make sure to use a good USB cable / adapter - scrounge one that Samsung or Apple or LG or someone else reputable shipped with a phone or some other high-end product that is likely to have gotten good QA. Something putting out 1A - 2A. If you can't remember which is which, check the label - sometimes the part number is on there and you can google it and find what device it came from.

Cheap cables I think are more dangerous in the USB3 world (more sub-par cables out there than USB2) but cheaply manufactured stuff is always dangerous.

I'm using one of these usb charging gadgets for powering / charging a few things on my AV stand. I've used one for years for charging phones/controllers/gadgets in my desk drawer. Use it to power my Retropie and anything else on the AV stand that needs usb power or charging.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UN1LM7Q/

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Was out of commission there for a bit, but as an update to the plug situation from a bit back Analogue sent a replacement free of charge so no complaints on their customer service from me. Should be here today.

I have sent out a replacement power supply with tracking number:

#################################

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Cheers!
Analogue Support

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Oh I thought it was patched to do away with.
No. I think the jailbreak will need to emulate the chip. I think it's possible for the jailbreak to potentially emulate everything except for SFX/2 chips.

Mine is still out for delivery but I made the dumb ass mistake of requesting it be dropped off at a nearby UPS location so I might not have it today. I thought the request page would take me to another verification screen but when I clicked on the location it just basically said "ok, we will ship it there".

Not too much of an issue.

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain how the cheat menu is supposed to work. I can't seem to get individual cheat codes working by ticking the box but I do when I select 'enable all codes' Is that not a shortcut for 'all codes' Is it an off/off switch controlled by what individual codes I then choose? It's confusing as hell and I seem to have intermittent luck getting stuff working.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Any idea if a translated version of Star Ocean works on a jailbroken SNT fw?
It doesn't work. The expanded ROM is much larger than any retail SNES game, so I guess it doesn't support it. As mentioned, it does work on SD2SNES.

Doesn't it require a special chip that isn't supported yet?

No, there is a patch out there to decompress all of the graphics to a large 96mbit ROM, and that removes the need for the SDD-1 chip.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I gave this to my friend back in 1999 when I worked at Blockbuster and now I am borrowing it off him 2018. I am glad I thought ahead.

Rz0ycop.jpg

uWHT0W7.jpg

cacophony

Oct 27, 2017
With the JB save to SD card feature fixed, does this mean battery backed save carts also can be written to the SD card? So can I play Mario Kart and it will save to the SD - even if the battery is dead?

I'm pretty sure the save to sd card functionality only applies to playing roms off the sd card, and there is no change in behavior to playing physical carts.

Can someone explain how the cheat menu is supposed to work. I can't seem to get individual cheat codes working by ticking the box but I do when I select 'enable all codes' Is that not a shortcut for 'all codes' Is it an off/off switch controlled by what individual codes I then choose? It's confusing as hell and I seem to have intermittent luck getting stuff working.

Yeah, I've read that you do need to have "enable all codes" checked in addition to the specific code(s) you want. I haven't tried it yet though so I'm sure about exactly procedure (do you apply the codes after booting the game? before? Is the procedure different when using physical carts vs roms?)

F34R

Oct 27, 2017

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, was that Turn & Burn CIB for $16 considered a good deal, or should I have paid a bit extra ($5 more) to get that white pamphlete (which was the usage warning)?

RalliArtEvo

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
BTW, was that Turn & Burn CIB for $16 considered a good deal, or should I have paid a bit extra ($5 more) to get that white pamphlete (which was the usage warning)?

that's about an average price for CIB. Use http://gamevaluenow.com/ as a reference tool.

As for the insert, they are not worth anything and are the same across all games that came with them if you really feel like you need one.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks.

I'll double check my patch job on it first, one patch requires a headered rom and the other doesn't, maybe I accidentally messed it up somehow.

Will give me a chance to check just the physics patch alone also.
Ok. got it all sorted. Yes, with both patches applied, it runs fine via SD2SNES and via SD card on j/b Super NT. :)

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
You want to talk about going down a rabbit hole, I started buying a new cart collection from scratch for my Super NT, complete with special screwdriver I can use to open the carts to verify they are authentic. I could buy a repro cartridge of Secret of Mana for under $20, instead I paid $70 to make sure it was authentic. Either would give me the same gaming experience (most likely)...

My entire SNES collection now consists of Secret of Mana, Super Castlevania IV (Japanese), Super Donkey Kong 2 (Japanese), and Uniracers (which hasn't arrived yet, I'm hoping authentic but not sure since it was cheap, but claimed to be authentic).

Well, I still have a RGB modded SNS-101 and a Sony Trinitron, both of which I'm considering selling now, so take solace in knowing that the rabbit hole could always be worse. lol. Also, pretty much any SNES owner these days should own everything you need to open up anything SNES related. Repro cartridges being sold as legit ones is SO common on ebay these days. As for my SNES game collection, I have:
  • TMNT: Turtles in Time (CIB)
  • Fist of the North Star 6 (SFC)
  • F-Zero (SFC)
  • Kirby's Dreamland 3 (SFC)
  • Dracula XX (CIB; SFC)
  • Sparkster (CIB; SFC)
  • Super Metroid (CIB; SFC)
  • Super Mario All Stars with Super Mario World
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Illusion of Gaia
  • Street Fighter 2 (CIB; iam8bit version; lucked out and got the extra rare Blanka version)
  • Sunset Riders (CIB)
  • Mario Paint (CIB but the box is the Players Choice display box though the cart I have is the Players Choice version and I have the Hyperkin SNES mouse)
  • Super Punch-Out (CIB)
  • Spider-Man & Venom: Separation Anxiety (CIB)
  • Saturday Night SlamMasters (CIB)
  • Super Bomberman 2 (CIB, new and still shrink wrapped; it's from a rerelease of the game that happened in the late 90s so it has the E for Everyone rating on it)
The next few I'd like to pick up are A Link to the Past, Uniracers, Star Fox (SFC; that box art is way better) and Yoshi's Island.

Godai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And out for delivery a day early. Unfortunately my girlfriend has to take our son for a doctor's appointment today so she might not be home when it arrives. I'm hoping that means they just drop it off at the UPS store down the street and not at the place I used to have to pick them up at downtown. I don't mind waiting the extra day to pick it up I just would like to avoid the detour.

You live in Toronto right? You're getting yours UPS? I thought it was DHL for Canada. I ordered mine on Feb 8th and have absolutely no updates on the order. :/

gotenks266

Oct 27, 2017
my Super NT is also out for delivery! i'll be looking out my window for that UPS truck. i live in California in case anyone is wondering.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
My Super NT shipped out today! Is the SN30 (after mod) still the recommended controller method? Need your thoughts, Era!!!

DRULYBXA

Oct 25, 2017
Got my tracking number today and text message to say it has been sent but no records on dhl website yet. How long did it take for it to show on the website for others??

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
My Super NT shipped out today! Is the SN30 (after mod) still the recommended controller method? Need your thoughts, Era!!!

I finally tested out my SN30 today on the Super NT after my mod. Up / up forward was a bit TOO stiff. Took it apart again (for what feels like the 30th time) and tweaked the tape a little (it was a little too much on the top). Played some Contra III on it and SF2 and it seemed really good.

It would be such a small PCB mod to their controllers to make them be like so much better, it is too bad they didn't bother to listen to the feedback on their forums last year.

I posted some pages back, I ended up with a mod that looks a lot like this:
https://imgur.com/9bcCJIx

I tried the tape under the dpad in the middle (didn't do enough), 2 layers of tape under (too unsensitive), diagonal tape, tape just covering the inside parts. This one was the best.

Sooo much better. Probably 90% of the SNES d-pad feel now. Made a huge difference for Contra especially, even though I suck at Contra anyway.

I actually ordered some 90s SNES extension cables via ebay (he said they were older stock from the 90s), I figure I'll use those with OG SNES controllers for games where there's a lot of action most of the time anyway, and the SN30 for RPGs and stuff which will be a lot of my playtime.

They feel way better in quality than the cheap Tomee one I got at a local gamestore. For example, the Tomee ones had the pins a bit misaligned (had to bend them into the right place to work on the NT and kinda push really hard to get them to plug in..poor quality control). I weighed both cables and these weigh almost an ounce more than the Tomee (the ends of the cables feel a lot heavier). Plus I bought 2 of the Tomee NES cables last year and one of them stopped working very quickly (like a couple of months of very light use).

Auction here, he still has some, I recommend:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-SNES-Super-Nintendo-Controller-Extension-Cables-NEW-HIGH-QUALITY-OLD-STOCK/253374315343?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Shipped Friday, and apparently hasn't moved an inch since :/

Hoping some of my Super Famicom carts show up soon, though. Wound up snagging most of the incompatible chip games I wanted on the cheap, though I'm tempted to grab one or two more just for nostalgia's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.