• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Wait a minute. I thought roms couldn't be saved, but when pausing the game there is a save option. Does anyone know how this works? Thanks in advance :D
The first jailbreak had a bug in saves which made it pointless to use them as they could corrupt at any point. The new version is meant to fix it, and I have not heard of any corruption problems so far, but I'd give it more time before trusting anything heavy to it. Looks good so far though.

edit: though worth mentioning again there is a different bug where if you go up to the system menu (hit B a few times in the SD menu) you will no longer get the save prompt anymore, essentially locking you from saving again until you reset. So be aware, you'll shoot yourself in the foot with it sooner or later until hopefully fixed.

Last edited:

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
The first jailbreak had a bug in saves which made it pointless to use them as they could corrupt at any point. The new version is meant to fix it, and I have not heard of any corruption problems so far, but I'd give it more time before trusting anything heavy to it. Looks good so far though.

edit: though worth mentioning again there is a different bug where if you go up to the system menu (hit B a few times in the SD menu) you will no longer get the save prompt anymore, essentially locking you from saving again until you reset. So be aware, you'll shoot yourself in the foot with it sooner or later until hopefully fixed.

Okay thanks, so I can save at any point in the game? When all goes well that is.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Okay thanks, so I can save at any point in the game? When all goes well that is.
No. The prompt that comes up is asking if you would like to save the SRAM. This is not at all like a save state if that is what you are thinking. Think of it like the file on a memory card. It just copies it over to the SD card otherwise it would be lost when you power down the system.

I strongly recommend playing with it to wrap your head around what it is and isn't doing. Load up Zelda, create a save and name it, then hit reset. When you go to the list of 3 saves it will be gone. Do it again, but this time go in the menu and hit "yes" when it asks if you want to save. NOW reset. Your save game will still be there. You have to do this every single time before turning the system off or you will lose your save games.

Experiment a lot with it. You absolutely will lose progress if you don't completely understand how it works and quirks such as the system menu thing previously mentioned.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
No. The prompt that comes up is asking if you would like to save the SRAM. This is not at all like a save state if that is what you are thinking. Think of it like the file on a memory card. It just copies it over to the SD card otherwise it would be lost when you power down the system.

I strongly recommend playing with it to wrap your head around what it is and isn't doing. Load up Zelda, create a save and name it, then hit reset. When you go to the list of 3 saves it will be gone. Do it again, but this time go in the menu and hit "yes" when it asks if you want to save. NOW reset. Your save game will still be there. You have to do this every single time before turning the system off or you will lose your save games.

Experiment a lot with it. You absolutely will lose progress if you don't completely understand how it works and quirks such as the system menu thing previously mentioned.

Thanks for explaining, great! Hope this will be fixed eventually.

Godai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So Wednesday is almost done and I still don't have a shipping notice and I just got a canned response from Analogue on Tuesday. I'm so annoyed.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing to fix though to my understanding.
  1. Load a game that has saves.
  2. Hit select+down to pull up the menu.
  3. Note it prompts for the save.
  4. Hit yes or no to save, doesn't matter.
  5. Hit B a few times to back out of the SD menu to the system menu.
  6. Hit select to close the menu and go back to the game.
  7. Now hit select+down again to pull up the menu.
  8. Note since you are at the system menu it does not prompt to save.
  9. Go back into the SD menu.
  10. Hit select to close the menu.
  11. Doesn't work.
  12. Back out again to system menu and hit select to close it.
  13. Note you are now stuck forever and can never back up your save to the SD card without resetting (losing any saved progress from this session)
I'd say that definitely needs to be fixed and why I keep posting about it because it is clear people are not seeing the problem and it is the exact thing someone is going to shoot themselves in the foot with and lose hours of progress doing.

Seriously, try it. It NEEDS better awareness.

Last edited:

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Thanks for explaining, great! Hope this will be fixed eventually.

Yeah, I think you're misunderstanding.

SNES carts used a battery to keep a tiny bit of charge to keep the some data in SRAM. This is used to save your game. Because flash memory at that time wasn't really a thing, or at least, price wise it wasn't practical to put into carts.

The NT's prompt to save your SRAM is exactly this, do you want to save your SRAM or not.

Kevtris has commented that doing savestates in an FPGA is too hard to implement easily. Some of the flash carts have some save state tech (the Everdrive?) but they're a bit finicky I believe.

I'd say that definitely needs to be fixed and why I keep posting about it because it is clear people are not seeing the problem and it is the exact thing someone is going to shoot themselves in the foot with and lose hours of progress doing.

Seriously, try it. It NEEDS to be better understood.

I don't think Steve was talking about the save prompt / menu issue based on the posts he was responding to, but not understanding how SRAM saving works.

I'm kind of surprised it prompts at all. Besides using up a tiny bit of space and having to delete unwanted saves (just like a SNES) I'm not sure why it simply doesn't auto-save the SRAM if it changes at all. Is there some other reason you wouldn't want to auto-save the SRAM?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Load a game that has saves.
  2. Hit select+down to pull up the menu.
  3. Note it prompts for the save.
  4. Hit yes or no to save, doesn't matter.
  5. Hit B a few times to back out of the SD menu to the system menu.
  6. Hit select to close the menu and go back to the game.
  7. Now hit select+down again to pull up the menu.
  8. Note since you are at the system menu it does not prompt to save.
  9. Go back into the SD menu.
  10. Hit select to close the menu.
  11. Doesn't work.
  12. Back out again to system menu and hit select to close it.
  13. Note you are now stuck forever and can never back up your save to the SD card without resetting (losing any saved progress from this session)

Seriously, try it. It NEEDS better awareness.

That was not clear from your post that there are bugs with the process. I got the impression the fact that it's not a save state or that you had to manually write out the save was considered something to be fixed from that poster and on that front there isn't anything to be fixed. Understanding how and when you save your data is something that needs to be understood well since it's not automatic which is what I thought you were talking about based off your post.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Someone's never played Devil's Crush.
A handful of TurboChips vs a shelf full of CDs. ;) There are card games I'll play forever but the system needs the CD games.

SmiteOfHand It needs that bug fixed but once you've set your settings, I've found that I don't hit B and fly past the prompt anymore. Though depending on the game, an accidental B press could be devastating.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Let me try again to help remove any confusion.
  1. Save states in any capacity are not supported in the jailbreak.
  2. Latest jailbreak appears to have fixed regular SRAM saves. Give it a bit more time before trusting 100%
  3. There is still a bug that can cause you to lose progress that everyone should be aware of. See post above (#3859) to see how to replicate it.

It needs that bug fixed but once you've set your settings, I've found that I don't hit B and fly past the prompt anymore. Though depending on the game, an accidental B press could be devastating.

Agreed, though all it takes is absent-mindedly thinking "I'll go flip scanlines on/off" and you just screwed yourself over. Way too easy to lock yourself out currently.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I also still failed to receive a shipping notification :( Who knows, maybe I'll wake up to one. the note on their site from Monday has a lot of non-committal language , a lot of "shoulds" and "hoping". I believe that they wanted to be done tonight but it might not happen. My SD2SNES hasn't arrived yet either :( :( Course there's really no way to know where that is , it left the Ukraine on February 16th and Krikkz website mentions north america taking 15-20 days but it could be longer depending on customs delays. That means I might have it tomorrow maybe ? Course if that's 15-20 business days then ... well maybe next friday ???? Basically I'm left wishing that I bought the cart like a year ago and that I ordered a black Super NT for this round.. I could be playing it right now.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I also still failed to receive a shipping notification :( Who knows, maybe I'll wake up to one. the note on their site from Monday has a lot of non-committal language , a lot of "shoulds" and "hoping". I believe that they wanted to be done tonight but it might not happen. My SD2SNES hasn't arrived yet either :( :( Course there's really no way to know where that is , it left the Ukraine on February 16th and Krikkz website mentions north america taking 15-20 days but it could be longer depending on customs delays. That means I might have it tomorrow maybe ? Course if that's 15-20 business days then ... well maybe next friday ???? Basically I'm left wishing that I bought the cart like a year ago and that I ordered a black Super NT for this round.. I could be playing it right now.
It's not happening tonight. What a failure.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I received my automated shipping notification AFTER receiving my Super NT. If you still haven't received a shipping notification once Analogue claims to have finished shipping orders, then contact Analogue support for your tracking number. (I know that someone suggested not doing this in an earlier post, but I see no reason to not ask for a tracking number if they claim that everything has shipped.) Regarding the SD2SNES, I ordered mine on 2/7 and received it on 2/20. I'm in California and ordered directly from Krikkz.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I received my automated shipping notification AFTER receiving my Super NT. If you still haven't received a shipping notification once Analogue claims to have finished shipping orders, then contact Analogue support for your tracking number. (I know that someone suggested not doing this in an earlier post, but I see no reason to not ask for a tracking number if they claim that everything has shipped.) Regarding the SD2SNES, I ordered mine on 2/7 and received it on 2/20. I'm in California and ordered directly from Krikkz.
I'm not so worried about receiving a shipping notification as I am looking at my UPS scheduled package deliveries listed as ZERO(0).

Looking at Analogue support page:
March 8th Shipping Update-

Analogue Support
Today at 20:47
Shipments have been going out steadily every day and it's looking like all orders should be shipped by Thursday. We will continue to update if this changes. Thanks for your patience.

So, they basically just changed "should be by Wednesday" to "should be by Thursday".

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
My shipment...just got delayed from Monday to Tuesday! Analogue, what gives? I knew my unit was going to be delayed, but now they're making the wait undeniably intollerable!

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There would be no point in a TG16 system anyway unless it can run CD games. Again, you would need a system card to run games for CD.

Have you not seen the Super SD System 3? It has built in System card support and runs both Card games and CD games. You just connect it to the expansion bay of either the PC Engine or TG-16. Kevtris could easily make an all in one unit.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mine just got delivered! So is just doing the 5X scaling good for 1080p if I don't care about scanlines or filters? I don't want any pixel stretching or blurring

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Mine just got delivered! So is just doing the 5X scaling good for 1080p if I don't care about scanlines or filters? I don't want any pixel stretching or blurring

I'm using that, with normal default scanline numbers.

IMG_4540.jpg

Godai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My shipment...just got delayed from Monday to Tuesday! Analogue, what gives? I knew my unit was going to be delayed, but now they're making the wait undeniably intollerable!

At least you have tracking info, I ordered a black one on Feb. 8th and have nothing.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Oh no argument here - CD would be essential. I would still buy one for just cards though. A lot of fond memories of the vanilla TG16.
I played TG16 whenever I wanted to play shooters so I know what you mean. ;)
The PCE SuperSystem 3 from NeoSD looks good but I just don't know if I'll actually use it often enough to make it worth it to me.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK

I tried 5x scaling, along with 1365 width and 1200 height as posted a few pages back, but the top part of the screen is cut off in mario kart - where the timer appears? This is on 1080p tv, are you guys getting the same?

Oct 28, 2017
I tried 5x scaling, along with 1365 width and 1200 height as posted a few pages back, but the top part of the screen is cut off in mario kart - where the timer appears? This is on 1080p tv, are you guys getting the same?
I'm using 1462 width and 1200 height (SmiteOfHand suggested it some pages back, I think) at the moment with normal scanlines 'on' and scanline depth '120'. There is a cut off of 120 pixels but I did not notice anything essential missing up to now.

To chime in: Is 720p still the 'best' resolution for using scanlines/Did fw 4.4 make scanlines 'better' when using 1080p?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got my controllers today ( bought two old SNES controllers, still waiting for the 8bitdo SN30 in black ) and damn it's awesome!

Kudos to Squarepusher and Phil Fish for the Boot sequence... absolutely sublime!

I still have to update though. Did I understand correctly that I first have to update the console to 4.4 and then update again to JailBreak?
The jailbreak is its own self-contained firmware. You can go back and forth between it and the official one at your leisure.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017

I typically test the Super NT on my HD screen sidebyside with my CRT and SFC. I've found that with SmiteOfHand 's recommended settings, I'm getting a pixel or two more on the Super NT than the overscan of my CRT.
Any pics of how it's cutting off the game??

I'm using 1462 width and 1200 height (SmiteOfHand suggested it some pages back, I think) at the moment with normal scanlines 'on' and scanline depth '120'. There is a cut off of 120 pixels but I did not notice anything essential missing up to now.

To chime in: Is 720p still the 'best' resolution for using scanlines/Did fw 4.4 make scanlines 'better' when using 1080p?

While I'm using his recommendation of screen size, I got too used to the Japanese CRT and HD CRTs that I have- they try to mostly eliminate scanlines but have them pretty faint. I run normal scanlines at 10, just enough to see them.
I've been in 1080 the whole time and they seem better... but I can't say for certain or if I've just gotten used to them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oct 28, 2017
I typically test the Super NT on my HD screen sidebyside with my CRT and SFC. I've found that with SmiteOfHand 's recommended settings, I'm getting a pixel or two more on the Super NT than the overscan of my CRT.
Any pics of how it's cutting off the game??

While I'm using his recommendation of screen size, I got too used to the Japanese CRT and HD CRTs that I have- they try to mostly eliminate scanlines but have them pretty faint. I run normal scanlines at 10, just enough to see them.
I've been in 1080 the whole time and they seem better... but I can't say for certain or if I've just gotten used to them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
To add another point to this discussion: As I found here, although the SNES internal resolution is 256x240 most games only draw 256x224. So for 5x integer scaling (1200 heigth) only 1120 are often 'used'. Therefore in most cases you're not losing 120 pixels as I wrote above but only 40.

The only thing I'm not seeing is maybe the outer part of a text box. I didn't test Mario Kart but maybe it's using the 'full' resolution of 256x240? Otherwise it could be a TV setting.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give Mario kart a shot here in a bit when a little more awake. Haven't run into anything in the overscan area so far so I am curious. Will report back.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

There is nothing wrong with 1080p scanlines at a 1200 height.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Here is Super Mario Kart Pal 1365 width, 1200 height, 5x. My tv is a Sony KDL-40W905A at 1080p
Check the picture zoom/format settings on your TV seems the picture might be zoomed in a bit? There might also be an overscan setting somewhere. Will dig further if you are not able to find it. You're wanting full pixel, or whatever Sony might call it, not familiar with their settings offhand.

(Ignore the colors)
QJfUpEOl.jpg

u0HbX6Fl.jpg

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit confused when I see people talking about roms, is there any reason why you'd play them here instead of on the snes mini?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
ktroopa I have my Vertical position set at +42 and don't have any of that cut off. You sure your TV's not set to overscan the image? It looks almost like that on my Panasonic if I set the HD size to 1 instead of 2 under the aspect adjustments. My picture looks like SmiteOfHand's pics, right down to the values.

I'm a bit confused when I see people talking about roms, is there any reason why you'd play them here instead of on the snes mini?
Super Nt in more accurate.

There isn't a SNES mini.
You know they mean the SNES Classic.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So are there go to best settings for scanlines/no-scanlines? Should I just fish through this thread and try out all the suggestions?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
ktroopa I have my Vertical position set at +42 and don't have any of that cut off. You sure your TV's not set to overscan the image? It looks almost like that on my Panasonic if I set the HD size to 1 instead of 2 under the aspect adjustments. My picture looks like SmiteOfHand's pics, right down to the values.

Super Nt in more accurate.

You know they mean the SNES Classic.
I didn't know, or I would have said the same thing you did.

Oct 28, 2017
So are there go to best settings for scanlines/no-scanlines? Should I just fish through this thread and try out all the suggestions?
For even/regular scanlines you should use an integer scaled resolution. So best set your heigths to either 720 (3x), 960 (4x) or 1200 (5x).

I started my experiments with settings on fw 4.4. At least in the beginning, there seemed to be a noticeable difference in scanline quality when using 720p (better) or 1080p (worse) resolution. Don't know if that's still a thing. Scanlines on 1080p look fine for me.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
For even/regular scanlines you should use an integer scaled resolution. So best set your heigths to either 720 (3x), 960 (4x) or 1200 (5x).

I started my experiments with settings on fw 4.4. At least in the beginning, there seemed to be a noticeable difference in scanline quality when using 720p (better) or 1080p (worse) resolution. Don't know if that's still a thing. Scanlines on 1080p look fine for me.
Thanks. I will play around with it.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017

1462x1200, Disable V Interpolation (H interpolation on), is the most accurate you can get when it comes to aspect ratio at 1080p, and looks sharp to me from a couch distance (as an ardent int scaling only type)

You can read the long winded explanation of it all if curious. The short of it is 4:3 and 8:7 are both sort of wrong when scaling the SNES so it makes the math tricky.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/4598039/
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4682191/

To add another point to this discussion: As I found here, although the SNES internal resolution is 256x240 most games only draw 256x224. So for 5x integer scaling (1200 heigth) only 1120 are often 'used'. Therefore in most cases you're not losing 120 pixels as I wrote above but only 40.

You can see an example of this here. The only thing I have seen draw in the danger zone or even the action safe zone is weirdo homebrew or utility stuff like the 240p tool.

Safe_areas.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.