• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
variety

The Oscar-winning director who helped usher in the Hollywood New Wave of the 1970s is looking to bypass the studio system and independently finance "Life of Jesus," based on Shūsaku Endō's 1973 book. He took the same approach with the 2016 drama "Silence" (which also was adapted from an Endō novel). In fact, Scorsese would like to reunite with "Silence" star Andrew Garfield for the Jesus project, though it's unclear if the 40-year-old actor is being eyed for the titular role or to play one of the disciples. (Scholars believe Jesus died sometime between the ages of 33 and 38.) Miles Teller has also been eyed for the picture. Production is expected to begin later this year and shoot in Israel, Italy and Egypt.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Another Scorsese Jesus movie? And you thought Passion of the Christ was pretentious.

Last edited:

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ, Neiman
whiplash-gif-project.gif

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Garfield was SO good in Silence, would love to see them reunite for this.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Since this is based off a book by the author of Silence , I'm assuming it will have a twist to it that will make it more interesting than your typical Jesus bio pic.

I would be happy if Garfield came back. He was great in Silence.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Could be cooler if he casted a middle eastern character to be more authentic. Would ruffle feathers everywhere too

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
I await the day when Scorsese has made as many Jesus movies as he has Crime movies.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Since this is based off a book by the author of Silence , I'm assuming it will have a twist to it that will make it more interesting than your typical Jesus bio pic.

I would be happy if Garfield came back. He was great in Silence.
It's also set in modern day New York. It's gunna be interesting for sure.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
If Scorsese did something like that Messiah miniseries it could be earth shatteringly good.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Christianity, Garfield and Scorsese were a winning combination in Silence, happy to see them come back.

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't love Jesus movies in general but The Last Temptation of Christ is excellent and Silence is one of my favorite movies ever (also has Garfield in it). So yeah, sure make another Marty.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still holding out hope that someday Hollywood will actually make a movie based on the historical Jesus instead of gospel retelling of some sort.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still holding out hope that someday Hollywood will actually make a movie based on the historical Jesus instead of gospel retelling of some sort.
That's because much doesn't exist beyond that.

To be far, I'm a Christian (not evangelical, just disagree with them on many things).

So any considerations of a historical Jesus would have no sources to draw upon. There is the framework that Jesus was an apocalyptic Rabbi. You see this in many interpretation of Jesus from a Jewish lens. And while Jesus's teachings do have these, they're really not a huge portion of his teachings as contained in the Gospels.

There's then the apocryphal works--Gospel of Thomas, etc. The Last Temptation of Christ kinda draws from that some.

Grove

Apr 3, 2024
Not religious but The Last Temptation and Silence are incredible films. Silence especially is my favorite of his made in the last 25-30 years.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
That's because much doesn't exist beyond that.

To be far, I'm a Christian (not evangelical, just disagree with them on many things).

So any considerations of a historical Jesus would have no sources to draw upon.

There is well over a century of research on the historical figure of Jesus, and although no two scholars degree on every single detail, there is for the most part a basic consensus on who he was, what he was preaching, why he was preaching it, and how Christianity began to evolve immediately after his death. So it would be cool to see a movie based on that body of work.

Most of the historical evidence of Jesus' existence is based on the Gospels.

Yeah, I should have been more clear. It's more about how the Gospels are read and interpreted along with using extra-biblical sources to construct a world that reflects the social, political, and religious realities of the time.