thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Having seen the live show back in 93 (though honestly a lot of it was lost on 6th graders) and listened to the original cast recording enough to have memorized most of the songs, I am curious as to why they change up the words as they do. I'm not saying they're bad or anything, just different enough to notice. Is it just to make them flow better or something?

Shows evolve when they run as long as Phantom has. Sometimes it's the composer/lyricist wanting to make changes, sometimes a performer will tweak things and everyone likes it/likes their take on the character.

In Les Miserables for example, the Thenardiers calling Cosette "Colette" is something that evolved in the show after it was running for 10 years.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
They did Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat last week. Watched it, sang along. No regrets.
That was such a weird adaptation. Like it couldn't decide whether it was a basic filmed stage production or a made for TV version with actors interacting with the camera, and they wrapped it in a weird framing device where it was being performed during assembly at a really grotty British school that had Donny Osmond in it for some reason.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
This was my first time seeing Phantom and the music was excellent. I'll be humming it all week.

The story was some straight up nonsense though. It's basically Captain Incel: The Musical.
Same, although I only saw the first part, will see if I have the energy for the rest

The songs are better without the terrible context tbh, I've heard and loved some of them from before, but in the actual show.. what the hell

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
can't say that phantom of the opera did much for me. the only song i really liked and thought memorable was the title track, and it was pretty anti-climactic when the best song came so early and i was waiting for something to top it, but nothing even came close. that sierra boggess sure has a fantastic voice, though.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Oh cool it's the Royal Albert Hall version. Rented it before, and it was so damn good with Ramin and Sierra.

Didn't realize it is just around till tomorrow morning PST, so I'll think about if I want to squeeze in a watch tonight or early in the morning.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
My wife and I watched the Phantom of The Opera this afternoon. We really enjoyed it very much. We were always planning on going to New York and watching this there, and we definitely will when this pandemic is over.

We are looking forward to seeing what is up next week.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
Not a big fan of Andrew Lloyd Webbers musicals but this is still really cool. I'll keep an eye on what is coming up. :)

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
can't say that phantom of the opera did much for me. the only song i really liked and thought memorable was the title track, and it was pretty anti-climactic when the best song came so early and i was waiting for something to top it, but nothing even came close. that sierra boggess sure has a fantastic voice, though.

um wishing you were somehow here again? hello?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Starting off with Jesus Christ Superstar and Phantom is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because those are easily the best things Andrew Lloyd Webber ever did, a curse because everything that follows now will be mediocre shite.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I never saw this thread until now. I watched the first one, Joseph. I looked forward to it for a week and it was so disappointing.

I was expecting a taped performance of the stage show, not whatever the fuck that was. Have the next 2 been any better.

Axiom

Oct 25, 2017
Had never seen Phantom but really enjoyed it (though I feel like the middle is pretty slow), sad I missed Superstar as I've seen the Tim Minchin production at the cinema and that was the best I've ever seen.

I'm pretty sure I saw or at least imagined I saw Starlight Express as a very young child

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Phantom is packed with stand-out bangers. It's all killer. I mean, it helps to basically repeat the themes and melodies throughout the show in various versions to hammer them in, but still. To say it doesn't have enough hits is basically the least reasonable criticism.

The show is cheesy, camp disco maximalism, but man it hits when you see it live and get to appreciate the performers fully. It just looks and sounds so huge. Of course the characters are deeply silly.

I hadn't seen this version before and it seemed to be cast really well, and of course Sierra delivers on the big moments.

Not Lloyd Webber

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Phantom is packed with stand-out bangers. It's all killer. I mean, it helps to basically repeat the themes and melodies throughout the show in various versions to hammer them in, but still. To say it doesn't have enough hits is basically the least reasonable criticism.

The show is cheesy, camp disco maximalism, but man it hits when you see it live and get to appreciate the performers fully. It just looks and sounds so huge. Of course the characters are deeply silly.

I hadn't seen this version before and it seemed to be cast really well, and of course Sierra delivers on the big moments.

Not Lloyd Webber
Huh. Could have sworn.

Edit: Double post

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Down Once More is the best Phantom song and it's the climax song to boot, it's got fucking everything

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Best bit of Phantom is the segue *from* Angel of Music into the title track.

I do also love the two versions of Notes for being a fun example of... I guess "Operatic conversation"?

I wonder what else we might get, because these have been the most high-profile, and I assume we're getting performances that have had recent HD recordings; I don't know which productions would fit the bill in that regard.. I'd guess that Cats is off-limits given the movie; has there been a recent staged Evita? Starlight Express could be fun, but there's lots of different versions of that so who knows what we'll get, and I don't know if it's had a recent performance (last one I saw was when they used 3D filmed footage for the race sequences, which wouldn't really work for a home broadcast very well! - but that was in the mid 2000s anyway)

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
Best bit of Phantom is the segue *from* Angel of Music into the title track.

I do also love the two versions of Notes for being a fun example of... I guess "Operatic conversation"?

I wonder what else we might get, because these have been the most high-profile, and I assume we're getting performances that have had recent HD recordings; I don't know which productions would fit the bill in that regard.. I'd guess that Cats is off-limits given the movie; has there been a recent staged Evita? Starlight Express could be fun, but there's lots of different versions of that so who knows what we'll get, and I don't know if it's had a recent performance (last one I saw was when they used 3D filmed footage for the race sequences, which wouldn't really work for a home broadcast very well! - but that was in the mid 2000s anyway)

there's an Australian production of Love Never Dies zzzzZzZz...

I'm hoping they debut something that isn't on bluray already.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Phantom and Jesus Christ Superstar are the GOATs. Really happy I caught these viewings. Love Never Dies was quite bad but I did enjoy the title song.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I was cold on Phantom of the Opera at first, but I grew to like its cheesiness by the end. The music just wins me over.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, hell, I'd been wanting to see the stage production of Phantom for decades and I somehow managed to miss this. Is there any other non-movie version available to buy or something?

Cugel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 7, 2017
tumblr_m2pqwog7W21rna86e540.gif

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, hell, I'd been wanting to see the stage production of Phantom for decades and I somehow managed to miss this. Is there any other non-movie version available to buy or something?

The recording that went out here was has been available for a while

EkMWOym.png

All weekend in the UK, perhaps? I imagine it works off GMT.

It was actually up for a *shorter* period in the UK - apparently something about licensing. 24 hours here, 48 hours elsewhere, measured from (IIRC) 7pm Friday night.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Ooooh Nooo. D:

The Royal Albert Hall version can be even rented at places likes itunes, google play, and amazon. It was the one put up this last weekend, and is probably the best version really.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
The recording that went out here was has been available for a while

It was actually up for a *shorter* period in the UK - apparently something about licensing. 24 hours here, 48 hours elsewhere, measured from (IIRC) 7pm Friday night.
Ooooh Nooo. D:

The Royal Albert Hall version can be even rented at places likes itunes, google play, and amazon. It was the one put up this last weekend, and is probably the best version really.

Awesome, thanks.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Love Never Dies honestly feels so fan fiction-y with it's story and ruins the ending to the original. Erik is a full on piece of shit, even though he is in a much better position than before now, so can't even feel sympathy for him this time around.

Til I Hear You Sing and Love Never Dies are good songs, although not among the best of Phantom of the Opera.

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
love never dies has some ok music but the script is irredeemably stupid.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
Guess who had the dubious honor of seeing Woman in White during its very brief run on Broadway. This guy!

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Til I hear you sing and love never dies are great tracks tho so I'll be tuning in for sure.

It's funny how Til I hear you sing is subconsciously ripped off of Gusty Garden Galaxy (Lloyd Webber's kids had a Wii).

Cats will almost certainly be one (probably the 1998 stage version that was filmed). Would be nice if Evita is one. Always heard Sunset Blvd was good but never listened to the soundtrack.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Shows evolve when they run as long as Phantom has. Sometimes it's the composer/lyricist wanting to make changes, sometimes a performer will tweak things and everyone likes it/likes their take on the character.

In Les Miserables for example, the Thenardiers calling Cosette "Colette" is something that evolved in the show after it was running for 10 years.

In Master of the House, I think the line "Think he's quite a lover but there's not much there" was fully-sung originally with the last bit mouthed in more recent performances? Or was that just the early official cast recordings?

And, as I alluded to before, there's a lot of different iterations of Starlight Express (and I think they change it regionally, too, I've seen two different trains taking the fourth spot in the Grand Final on different continents)

InkyVulture

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny how Til I hear you sing is subconsciously ripped off of Gusty Garden Galaxy (Lloyd Webber's kids had a Wii).

Cats will almost certainly be one (probably the 1998 stage version that was filmed). Would be nice if Evita is one. Always heard Sunset Blvd was good but never listened to the soundtrack.

Oh, I've never noticed a connection there. I'll need to check it out now. Edit: wow you are right!

All those 3 would be very welcome in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Why are we here?
Just for suffering ?

jokes aside, I am actually a fan of the Phantom of the Opera and Jesus Christ Superstar.

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019

here's a taste of the camp fever dream that is love never dies