Oct 25, 2017
I got a good trade-in deal for an S23 Ultra and S9 ultra (512GB), so I went for it. I'm trying to decide whether to sell it and get a S9+ or keep it. Leaning towards keeping because it will be mostly used for streaming (though I feel like I'll be able to unlock more here since it's a legit productivity beast unlike my past 3 iPad devices).
my only 'complaint' is i'd say its mostly a house device to move around or travel.

s9 or even a s9+ can fit in most medium size sling bag/backpack to bring wherever. s9 ultra is a laptop.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
my only 'complaint' is i'd say its mostly a house device to move around or travel.

s9 or even a s9+ can fit in most medium size sling bag/backpack to bring wherever. s9 ultra is a laptop.

Yeah... still trying to decide how much portability would bother me. When I had an iPad Pro 12.9 (which permanently stayed in a case), it was too large for the tablet sleeve in my laptop bag (I use the eBags Pro Junior slim backpack).

For large tablets I rarely hold them in my hands to use... they will be on a stand or propped up horizontally in a case 99.5% of the time.

Also, S9+ will be better on battery life when in use (maybe by 10% or so). This will matter for me in a long term.

If I did really decide to get the 9+ instead, I would be kind of screwed because a ton of S9 Ultras are going to be flooding eBay/swappa over the next few weeks because of this trade in deals, which will drop the price further than it has.

Edit: it has, lol .. looking at Swappa

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... still trying to decide how much portability would bother me. When I had an iPad Pro 12.9 (which permanently stayed in a case), it was too large for the tablet sleeve in my laptop bag (I use the eBags Pro Junior slim backpack).

For large tablets I rarely hold them in my hands to use... they will be on a stand or propped up horizontally in a case 99.5% of the time.

Also, S9+ will be better on battery life when in use (maybe by 10% or so). This will matter for me in a long term.

If I did really decide to get the 9+ instead, I would be kind of screwed because a ton of S9 Ultras are going to be flooding eBay/swappa over the next few weeks because of this trade in deals, which will drop the price further than it has.

im living the whynotboth life lol. still have my old s7+ which for the most part is spent mounted on an arm so i can watch stuff in bed.

I do sometimes take it for travel tho.

i think the Ultra can fit in areas the 12.9 ipad pro can't because of its aspect ratio. ipad is more squareish which could be an issue for ultrabook size laptop pockets/sleeves.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure you'd not have an issue trading the watch for the new buds.

I mean, if I get it from the Google Store and it forces the one instead of the other, then I don't have a choice (rather would get it from the Google Store than BB).

If it lets you choose, then awesome, I'll do that.

The watch is probably going to cost $300-$350 vs the buds at $200..

I know I've been trying to do more exercise stuff and bit more in shape, but I've never been a fan of wearing a watch. Yeah, it's more expensive, but the buds would serve me better in daily use.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, if I go with the smaller P8, I will gladly trade my buds for the watch to someone.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Wow..

I've ran into my first accessory buying issue with an Android device. Barely anyone makes cases for the Galaxy S9 Ultra (due to its size probably). There are multiple third party cases makers that advertise their cases being able to fit for both the S8 ultra and S9 ultra (they don't). That's just pathetic and lazy.

For that highly rated infiland case, there were reviews stating that the company is purposely shipping some defectives which have a design flaw that can damage the effective of the S-Pen due to improper magnet placement. Apparently they will be quick to resolve if there's an issue but it's a just sad what the state of third party accessories for this tablet. Shouldn't have to do this much digging to confirm what's actually safe for mybdevice. Never had this issue with another device. I guess I'll have to just take my chances... (and still will not pay $350 for a keyboard case... maybe half that I would).

Last edited:

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
I've been really tempted to pick up a Galaxy Z Fold 5. Anyone here own/owned one that can give some thoughts?

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, the bundles for the Pixel 8 are actively deterring me from buying it. I don't have to get them, right? I don't want to have things I don't want.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my Fold 5 came with the Samsung Pro headphones because that SKU was weirdly cheaper. I liked them less than the old Buds+, so I sold them and got even more money off.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I don't like selling things, so I'd rather not bother having it at all. Let's see closer to release what the deal is. Right now I'm thinking the black Pro from AT&T.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Wow..

I've ran into my first accessory buying issue with an Android device. Barely anyone makes cases for the Galaxy S9 Ultra (due to its size probably). There are multiple third party cases makers that advertise their cases being able to fit for both the S8 ultra and S9 ultra (they don't). That's just pathetic and lazy.

For that highly rated infiland case, there were reviews stating that the company is purposely shipping some defectives which have a design flaw that can damage the effective of the S-Pen due to improper magnet placement. Apparently they will be quick to resolve if there's an issue but it's a just sad what the state of third party accessories for this tablet. Shouldn't have to do this much digging to confirm what's actually safe for mybdevice. Never had this issue with another device. I guess I'll have to just take my chances... (and still will not pay $350 for a keyboard case... maybe half that I would).
OK, maybe I was over reacting a bit.. there are some fine cases from the same companies that make accessories for all devices. I guess my issue was that Galaxy S9 Ultra sized cases don't get as many reviews so they were harder to find.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
It's utterly fantastic and a huge jump from the Fold 3 with it closing flat and having amazing battery life now. Especially idle power draw.
Well damn that is some pretty high praise. It seems to me that everyone who buys one seems to fall in love. I wish I could have a hour to trial one. Just one of those devices I feel like I need experience when it isn't bolted down to a stand.

A bit out of left field but how are the speakers?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well damn that is some pretty high praise. It seems to me that everyone who buys one seems to fall in love. I wish I could have a hour to trial one. Just one of those devices I feel like I need experience when it isn't bolted down to a stand.

A bit out of left field but how are the speakers?

They're good, but not amazing. Good detail, if lacking in bass and they get loud enough. It'll get spanked by an iPhone Pro, but it's much better than the Pixel 6 I have lying around.

Wing84

Banned
Nov 21, 2022
This thread really depicts the difference between Android now and Android ten years ago; there are a lot less manufacturers. It's Samsung, Google and occasionally Sony and a Chinese brand.

It seems that Google is trying to fill in the gaps left behind via the Pixel line, but man, it's kinda a bummer to see. If only LG, HTC, Motorola, etc took Android updates seriously while not wasting money, time and resources on skins. If only Google Play Edition devices were the default.

Fingers crossed that the Pixel line can undo the bad reputation that third party Android devices during the 2010s and gets better with hardware with each year.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
This thread really depicts the difference between Android now and Android ten years ago; there are a lot less manufacturers. It's Samsung, Google and occasionally Sony and a Chinese brand.

It seems that Google is trying to fill in the gaps left behind via the Pixel line, but man, it's kinda a bummer to see. If only LG, HTC, Motorola, etc took Android updates seriously while not wasting money, time and resources on skins. If only Google Play Edition devices were the default.

Fingers crossed that the Pixel line can undo the bad reputation that third party Android devices during the 2010s and gets better with hardware with each year.
I'm glad they're not. GPE phones being the default wouldn't have lead to the creation of OneUI, which in turn wouldn't have lead to the creation of Good Lock, which is some of the greatest shit ever and is the biggest thing aside from the size of the base model phone that keeps me with Samsung.

Wing84

Banned
Nov 21, 2022
I'm glad they're not. GPE phones being the default wouldn't have lead to the creation of OneUI, which in turn wouldn't have lead to the creation of Good Lock, which is some of the greatest shit ever and is the biggest thing aside from the size of the base model phone that keeps me with Samsung.
As a person who isn't a fan of Samsung's skins, I can't say I agree. I still wish GPD were the default and was positioned to succeed.

I don't care for Samsung's software (nor any other hardware manufacturers' software). A diverse set of hardware + the Android team's clean software would be great. But I respect your appreciation of Samsung's software.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Having a Pixel Tablet and Pixel 6A, I'm beginning to just not like their skin either now. Like their launcher is required for certain features, but then I can't keep the homescreen clean because you HAVE to have that stupid fucking search bar on it. Drives me crazy.

Wing84

Banned
Nov 21, 2022
Having a Pixel Tablet and Pixel 6A, I'm beginning to just not like their skin either now. Like their launcher is required for certain features, but then I can't keep the homescreen clean because you HAVE to have that stupid fucking search bar on it. Drives me crazy.
Ugh, man, that literally poisons the experience. That search bar, ugh.

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
Personally, I love the pixel launcher. The bottom bar I use all the time, lol. At a glance is cool when it shows you relevant info. I haven't installed Nova in forever now because the default launchers on the phones I've used are good enough now.

Wing84

Banned
Nov 21, 2022
Personally, I love the pixel launcher. The bottom bar I use all the time, lol. At a glance is cool when it shows you relevant info. I haven't installed Nova in forever now because the default launchers on the phones I've used are good enough now.
There's definitely utility in it, but in an ideal world, Google would allow users to remove it. But Google is a search/ads company.

Outside of that, I love the Pixel experience. My last Samsung tablet had nova on it until I learned that launchers are basically spyware after Nova sold themselves to a metrics company.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
Have one, loving it so far. What do you want to know about?
I've never met someone who owned one so its all very novel to me. My main questions really come down to durability of the screen and comfort of use. Seems like a finger nail could scratch or dent the main display due to it being a plastic glass hybrid. Have you experienced anything like that? I also am curious what the thickness/feel in the hand when folded. I'm used to big phones but this seems like a level above.

My overall impression of the Fold 5 is that it seems like a fun/productive phone to use. Haven't felt that about a phone in years.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've never met someone who owned one so its all very novel to me. My main questions really come down to durability of the screen and comfort of use. Seems like a finger nail could scratch or dent the main display due to it being a plastic glass hybrid. Have you experienced anything like that? I also am curious what the thickness/feel in the hand when folded. I'm used to big phones but this seems like a level above.

My overall impression of the Fold 5 is that it seems like a fun/productive phone to use. Haven't felt that about a phone in years.

No, even on the Fold 3 after 2 years, fingernails were not a problem.

What I will say is that if the inner screen protector peels off, DO NOT USE IT WITHOUT IT. Contact Samsung to get it replaced, because the inner screen WILL crack without it.

While folded, it works out pretty good with the flatness now. Because it's narrow, it doesn't feel bulky and one handed operation is pretty damn good.

Oct 26, 2017

The thickness in hand has been a boon for me, makes the phone really easy to handle. Haven't scratched or dented the screen, it's not as fragile as it seems.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

What I will say is that if the inner screen protector peels off, DO NOT USE IT WITHOUT IT. Contact Samsung to get it replaced, because the inner screen WILL crack without it.

While folded, it works out pretty good with the flatness now. Because it's narrow, it doesn't feel bulky and one handed operation is pretty damn good.
Can confirm it feels nice because it is flat.

Had checked a friend's Fold 3 and that gap made me avoid it

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
I know this place is 100% focused on the US market but Xiaomi recently announced the Xiaomi 13T and 13T Pro, these phones sound absolutely fantastic for the price point (currently 800€ for the 12+512GB model of the 13T Pro). Only issue is MIUI, it's a love it or hate it situation. Glad to see we're still getting phones with flagship features at a lower price point.

www.gsmarena.com

Xiaomi 13T arrives with triple Leica cameras, 13T Pro adds 120W charging

Both phones come with a Mediatek chipset. The Xiaomi 13T series was announced today at an event in the German capital Berlin. The 13T and 13T Pro...

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Does anyone use Nova Launcher with One UI? Is there a way of using it without losing the gesture from the bottom of the screen to access recent apps?

I know this place is 100% focused on the US market but Xiaomi recently announced the Xiaomi 13T and 13T Pro, these phones sound absolutely fantastic for the price point (currently 800€ for the 12+512GB model of the 13T Pro). Only issue is MIUI, it's a love it or hate it situation. Glad to see we're still getting phones with flagship features at a lower price point.

www.gsmarena.com

Xiaomi 13T arrives with triple Leica cameras, 13T Pro adds 120W charging

Both phones come with a Mediatek chipset. The Xiaomi 13T series was announced today at an event in the German capital Berlin. The 13T and 13T Pro...

I'm a fan of Xiaomi because they still offer the best bang for the buck, specially on the low end and mid range. My $400 Mi 9T Pro that I bought 4 years ago is probably the best phone I've ever owned. And you can get phones like the Redmi Note 12 with a 1080p 120Hz AMOLED and decent cameras for like $150. Their high end phones are also very good.

I don't consider MIUI a con. It's one of the more feature-packed Android skins and very customizable. I just switched to an S23 Ultra and I miss some of the MIUI features.

However, I disagree about the price point. The 'T' series has been creeping up in price year after year and at this point the series sits at a weird place with that pricepoint. It's no doubt going to be a great phone, but at that price it competes against the Oneplus 11 and the Pro Pixel and even Xiaomi's own flagships. Hell, I got my S23 Ultra for less than that, brand new.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

I've had Samsung phones for years and had never even heard of Good Lock so thank you for bringing that to my attention!

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

I installed nova launcher on my og pixel just to get rid of that search bar. If I ever get another pixel I'll do the same

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I almost never talk about Pixel devices anymore. On the phone front, I'll only care about them when the Tensor chips come close to matching the efficiency of chipsets if its competitors. Until then 😴. Exclusive software features won't do it for me.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a fan of Xiaomi because they still offer the best bang for the buck, specially on the low end and mid range. My $400 Mi 9T Pro that I bought 4 years ago is probably the best phone I've ever owned. And you can get phones like the Redmi Note 12 with a 1080p 120Hz AMOLED and decent cameras for like $150. Their high end phones are also very good.

I don't consider MIUI a con. It's one of the more feature-packed Android skins and very customizable. I just switched to an S23 Ultra and I miss some of the MIUI features.

However, I disagree about the price point. The 'T' series has been creeping up in price year after year and at this point the series sits at a weird place with that pricepoint. It's no doubt going to be a great phone, but at that price it competes against the Oneplus 11 and the Pro Pixel and even Xiaomi's own flagships. Hell, I got my S23 Ultra for less than that, brand new.
Xiaomi have repositioned itself as a premium brand. Redmi is the midrange/entry level brand (outside China). POCO is the budget friendly flagship alternative. It all started when they dropped the Mi branding in favour of Xiaomi/Redmi on their products. The Leica partnership has added another layer to it.

I fully agree with you on the pricing of the Xiaomi 13T Pro. It's sold as a Redmi K60 branded flagship in China. The global version only has slightly better cameras. They are offering some decent incentives for early buyers in Spain (42 inch TV) and UK (Xiaomi Pad 6) to offset it though. In other markets the offer seems to be a Redmi Pad SE. I would imagine pricing will start going down from Singles Day/Black Friday onwards.

I'm interested to see how their Wear OS smartwatch will turn out. There's only one YouTuber that's gotten some hands-on time with it.

www.youtube.com

Xiaomi Watch 2 Pro Powered By Wear OS + QC W5+ & Google Assistant

The Xiaomi Watch 2 Pro is the latest Wear OS smartwatch from Xiaomi. Powered by the latest Wear OS and Qualcomm W5+ , this smartwatch offers an excellent exp...

Last edited:

Lace

Oct 27, 2017

How often do you replace the inner screen protector?

I'm happy to hear the one hand use is a good one for the front screen. I feel like I might use it unfolded more often than folded just to check/respond to notifications.

Last edited: