• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3345

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an alternate way to start the split screen activity?

I decided to permanently hide my Navbar and status bar, but that means losing access to that .= /.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well Oreo seems to be rolling out internationally for the S8 unlocked models.

Countdown timer has begun for carrier models in Canada/UK/US.

It's been pulled. Not sure what the issue is, but it's no longer on their servers or being distributed.

The build name was actually CRAP so I wouldn't be shocked if it was pushed too early

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone had any experience with the MI A1? Both the headphone jack and the Android One experience is tempting.

Currently rocking the Mi 6 and i'm happy with it, but MIUI is just not the same as stock android.
It's a good phone if you're not into custom ROMs and fiddling around, probably the best 200€ phone out.

If you're into custom roms maybe the redmi note 4 is a better option rn

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good phone if you're not into custom ROMs and fiddling around, probably the best 200€ phone out.

If you're into custom roms maybe the redmi note 4 is a better option rn

I haven't tried playing around with custom ROMs yet - but this is more for recommending it to friends and family - don't want them to have to deal with that.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing Mi A1 is missing is NFC.

Camera is what you would expect at that price point.

Last edited:

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Turns out that the Essential is getting three new limited edition colors:

new-essential-phone-colors-1-980x632.jpg

Ocean Depths, Stellar Gray, and Copper Black. They cost an extra $100 :|

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/02/...olors-ocean-depths-stellar-gray-copper-black/

Last edited:

Deleted member 3345

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how they messed up the software? Isn't it almost stock Android?

The software is fine. The hardware drivers were kinda bad though. They've updated enough I'm happy. Granted I'm not one of those people that need to read text on a phone while scrolling it.

After a day with 8.1 beta I'm pretty satisfied with it. I just wish essential would add some extra features like not turning off your display is it's being held . Or native method to hide navbar.

128 GBS? Check
Compact form? Check
Updates? Check
Expansion pins ? Check
Treble? Check

The camera is fine now as well, and I love the b/w camera.

this_guy

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be open to the Essential 2 if they improve the camera. It's a solid phone (now after all the updates), looks nice, and I think it's the perfect size.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Essential made a well rounded phone. I do wish the call quality was as good as my Moto X. Granted I paid like $170 for this phone.

What area the main advantages of the 8.1 beta?

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone having issues with oreo updates. Seems like it's more Google issue.

Even essential is like we skipping directly to 8.1 cuz 8.0 is too fucked.

Honestly current Android works well enough I'm not jonesing for the update since it does indeed appear Google botched 8.0.

Fuckin hell both Google and Apple fucked us all with their latest initial release.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been pulled. Not sure what the issue is, but it's no longer on their servers or being distributed.

The build name was actually CRAP so I wouldn't be shocked if it was pushed too early
R = 2018
A = January
P = Build 16

so nah, they went thru 16 builds last month before pulling the trigger

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
Would love that Copper Black or Ocean Depths Essential if the camera wasn't shit. Only thing holding them back imo.

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
I used the Oreo build on my s8 and it was OK. No major changes but a lot of nip and tuck. Worked decent but I reverted because I thought the official was coming and also battery life wasn't good.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know how if you sign up for a website they tell you they'll never ask for your password per email?

Google is exactly doing that though regularly, for "security reasons", like wtf they can't be that daft, can they.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.... Google has never asked me for a password through email. What are you talking about?

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Going off of Slickdeals it looks like Google is sending out emails to people for "Being a loyal Nexus owner" with 20% discount on the Pixel 2. Haven't received one myself though despite owning the 4, 5, 5X, and Nexus 7. :|

OP
OP

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He got haxxed

Going off of Slickdeals it looks like Google is sending out emails to people for "Being a loyal Nexus owner" with 20% discount on the Pixel 2. Haven't received one myself though despite owning the 4, 5, 5X, and Nexus 7. :|
I've owned every single one but the crap Nexus S and got nothing. Google knows I have an iPhone X through my iOS app use and won't even bother.

Deleted member 3345

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
¬_¬

Seems like they messed with the screen temp on the 8.1 beta. Bet it has to do with the color thing. fucking google.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned this before, but the essential felt realllly nice to hold and I really enjoyed the look. The problem is still that OP 5t still exists..