ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think Asbsand is probably in the right on this one. It's kinda like going from the first two sims games to the fourth one. It has some interesting features but the spirit of the game has perhaps been taken away. I'm saying this as someone who isn't even that into Animal Crossing.
I don't get how the spirit has been taken away for giving a terraform option you can unlock.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I wish some of my favorite franchises got this level of optional things you can do (or decide not to!) to enhance your playing experience and keep the environment fresh and exactly to your liking, and I don't see the point in complaining about something you can easily just... not do at all, lol

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Overall lots of good stuff with some odd bummers here and there. I can't believe that they took the one thing everyone hates most from Splatoon, the login news, and brought it here. That's the biggest disappointment for me, I thought we would be done with that after how much everyone ragged on it with Splatoon 2, but nope, now we have to listen to Tom Nook every day too
Yeah that's a strange addition. Hopefully it's optional (narrator: it won't be) or you can skip through it by holding a button.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
This game is going to be such a case of the "is everything's special nothing is special" phenomenon. I think over time players are gonna burn out on this much faster by having so much accessibility. It just loses the appeal, doesn't it?
I think most of the elements in the series is moving more towards island customization. If a person likes building their "dream town" there's plenty not to be burned out on. There's also things like collecting bugs and fish to complete the museum. I think this route was inevitable with internet connectivity.

With the first Animal Crossing there was not much to do when visiting someone else's town, see their villagers? Get their fruit or buy an item maybe? Being able to see designs or how the island is built creates more interaction with online and group play at least.

But I agree that its a bit sad to see the animal residence actually take more and more of a back seat and become more like an accessory.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Can't say I'm surprised some dude is complaining about more options, i guess some people would rather we just have less?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I don't get how the spirit has been taken away for giving a terraform option you can unlock.
Because these are just abilities you should never have. The spirit is indeed "you are a person who moves in and lives with other animals" the cute touch being that as a human you're kinda special on this little animal farm but kinda not because in the end you're all just weird animals, and it really captured the feeling of actually moving out, living with a bunch of new faces you have to know, and I think they focused on that experience so well, while having a bunch of recreational activities and some long-game unlocks to do. But they're pushing the whole focus of being the new kid in town aside in order to make it all about the grind to "unlock stuff" now, and that is the violation of the AC spirit to me.

funroll-loops

Oct 29, 2017
I feel the same way about some of the new features (although I'll buy it anyway). The original game was very chill because it kind of just did its own thing without your input. I think this one will feel sort of overwhelming to me now that you can control everything down to the placement of each villager and the terrain of every tile on the map.

It's definitely the way the game has been heading for a long time though, like in New Horizons when you could prevent villagers from leaving and change store hours.

That said, I'm more concerned about daily nook-quest induced burnout and also whether they're using Pocket Camp as a sort of trojan horse to sneak microtransactions into animal crossing.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
So, a thought about the progression mechanics, and the ever-present Animal Crossing villain: Tom Nook, Debt Collector.

Early on it's mentioned that you can pay off your holiday package with NookMiles, and early on in this thread people seemed to be wondering if that had replaced the usual debt mechanics. However, then later, we do get the reveal that you can upgrade to a house (and then further to larger houses) in very much the traditional manner using Bells.

The latter mechanics are already very much familiar with us, but I'm very curious about the structure behind "pay off your package using NookMiles". I'm wondering if progression on that front is what leads to the new businesses and buildings arriving, or if possibly the house progression is gated behind the package payment progression, so you have to engage with a bunch of activities before you can delve into the full-on financial nightmare.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
it's just weird to complain about grinding in a series where the most efficient way to make money was to spend hours doing the same thing on a deserted island over and over again. Whether it's dropping fruit and waiting for your islander to drop cash bags, or hunting sharks/beetles until your inventory swelled.

Animal Crossing has always been grindy
It has always been a grindy as fuck game, and becuase it has special events and timed things subject to actual real time, it always felt for me more like a phone gacha game when you are addicted to it and want to do every event to not miss that sepcial character or whatever.
The thing is, thats still in the game, but at the same time they added something, completely optional, were I can build my dream town howver I want, becuase I love building games this caters to my interests. ANd here we have people saying I dont know what i want and that developers are wrong for including something optional that I actually like.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I was really expecting some kind of a city equivalent that you could fly to out of the airport. Based off the amiibo section, it looks like there will be special activities on some distant islands. I wonder if those will be random or unlocked as you go? Eg. Character visits your town, invites you back to their island
Can I use my cards to get specific villagers anymore?

Panda Andino

Nov 5, 2018
Can my wife and daughter have an island on the family switch and I can have my own on the lite?

Sharing a digital copy of the game?

we play at different hours

Buy the digital copy with your acc, then make your family switch primary to that account. Now all your family can play at the same time withour problems and you can visit their island.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
So wait, what exactly do the Animal Crossing amiibo figures do? I know the cards let the villagers show up at the campsite, but the figures of non-villager characters?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same way about some of the new features (although I'll buy it anyway). The original game was very chill because it kind of just did its own thing without your input. I think this one will feel sort of overwhelming to me now that you can control everything down to the placement of each villager and the terrain of every tile on the map.

It's definitely the way the game has been heading for a long time though, like in New Horizons when you could prevent villagers from leaving and change store hours.

That said, I'm more concerned about daily nook-quest induced burnout and also whether they're using Pocket Camp as a sort of trojan horse to sneak microtransactions into animal crossing.
Didn't they say updates are all free?

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I think Asbsand is probably in the right on this one. It's kinda like going from the first two sims games to the fourth one. It has some interesting features but the spirit of the game has perhaps been taken away. I'm saying this as someone who isn't even that into Animal Crossing.
Can you please explain what you actually mean here with examples and actual thoughts instead of vague generalities.

What is the spirit of Animal Crossing?

What was taken away in this new one?

Didn't they say updates are all free?
They ONLY mentioned free updates. To the point that I'm wondering if there even will be paid updates at all or an expansion pass?

Coriander

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
it's just weird to complain about grinding in a series where the most efficient way to make money was to spend hours doing the same thing on a deserted island over and over again. Whether it's dropping fruit and waiting for your islander to drop cash bags, or hunting sharks/beetles until your inventory swelled.

Animal Crossing has always been grindy

Ain't that right, though. As much as I enjoyed New Leaf, my most pervasive memories of it are of having to play on the island at twilight to catch as many of the most expensive beetles as possible, night after effing night for months, to pay off my house. Animal Crossing has always involved grinding.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
Christ at some people complaining at options especially the Phoenix Wright dude. I have a game recommendation for you: Minesweeper. No customization, slow-paced if you want it, positive vibes all around. You will find it difficult to hit endgame with seemingly endless difficulty. You can random generate boards with different mines at your leisure. My god

CloverNotes

Oct 25, 2017
People don't know what they want.

But I what I know I don't want is this. I'm not playing this to decide everything.

I'm so fucking bummed right now...

It's a shame you think people don't want this just because you don't. Personally I am so happy to have this feature. I love adding paths to my towns. Makes it prettier.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
So Tom Nook will basically introduce the game every time you boot, similarly to Splatoon?

I hope we can skip that but I doubt it 💀

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
They showed off house upgrades and extensions.

They showed one frame where an upgraded house had 4+ rooms.

The final upgrade in NL had 6 rooms, including the entry room. It needs to be bigger than that, for that amount of furniture, 6 rooms was just not enough and there will be even more stuff in the NH.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if known but console to console save data transfer is planned

www.nintendo.co.uk

Start your new island life!

Start your new life on a deserted island, where you can do as you please and craft your very own paradise, in Animal Crossing: New Horizons for Nintendo Switch!

This is encouraging, I was a little worried after the backup thing that there would be no migration at all (which, assuming the followup to the Switch is backwards compatible, is certainly functionality we'd like!). I guess that it's some sort of more secure move to ensure there's no trace of the old save on the old system, rather than any form of copy.

Still seems like overkill, but encouraging that they're at least planning around the option.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but that's as in "you think you want X but you don't realize once you have X you might see why it doesn't give you the feeling you expected".
nah im pretty sure i wanted all these things back in new leaf and the fact i have to earn it will make it feel satisfying when i finally do get these massive micromanagement tools

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Alright I'm gonna day that those of you lamenting the inclusion of optional terra-forming are weird. You're weird.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Ain't that right, though. As much as I enjoyed New Leaf, my most pervasive memories of it are of having to play on the island at twilight to catch as many of the most expensive beetles as possible, night after effing night for months, to pay off my house. Animal Crossing has always involved grinding.
The original AC on the GCN was even sillier for this

You went to the GBA island, filled every square inch of the island with non-native fruit, and then waiting around watching your GBA while the islander slowly traded each piece of fruit for a money bag (the money bags increased in size each fruit)

There wasn't even any player action. You just waited around.