ShellFoyer

Oct 30, 2017
Took me 7 1/2 to credits. I got 38 eggs a little bit after that… what now? I don't know how much I want to discuss other people's discoveries versus trying to find stuff for myself. I s'pose there must be a few more things I can figure out, then I can check in perhaps.

Great game too! I don't adore it (so far, let's wait and see), but a fun and engaging time, as good Metroidvanias are.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
A couple of hours in and it's... really good. Style and graphics are great, love the visual effects. Items are imaginative and rooms so far are minor challenges in terms of what to do but a bit stricter in terms of how. It's definitely smart in how it breaks new items in and teaches you some different use cases.

Negatives would be yeah, the check point system kinda hurts sometimes when you fail a room with enemies and have to do a runback. Just doesn't feel necessary when they could just reset you outside where you died etc. Also there was one room where I thought I was softlocked, turned out the jump I needed to do to get out wa the one I was sure I'd tried 3-4 times before and failed. Probably won't affect many other people.

I will say it pulled a couple of very fun tricks just before I stopped playing, which have given me a couple of ideas for what to be on the lookout for next time I drop in.

Definitely worth the price for me so far, and I'm interested to see how it continues.

Janus

Oct 18, 2020
It feels totally at odds with the puzzle aspect. I want to feel out my environment and try a bunch of things and I'm often punished for it. Not a good feeling after the first 90 minutes! It's an extra burden because of the opaque nature of the game. Sometimes you need to try the same specific action multiple times because you aren't sure if it's right or not, and if that specific action happens to be in a boss fight you'll be doing the hop of shame through the same puzzle boxes repeatedly only to have to retry yet again.

An autosave outside puzzle fields would have served the game better imo. I don't think the save system ruins it but it feels like unnecessary friction. It only takes away from the game.

In a Metroid game, you die through combat or dead end environmental hazards. Dead ends teach you to go elsewhere, and combat deaths teach you how to better engage with enemies. Animal Well is different because many puzzles are unique and its requirements are intentionally unclear. Which means you *need* to experiment. The punishing save mechanics really bother me.

Maybe there is some brilliant twist on the save mechanic later on that makes the tedium worthwhile…

The checkpoints are awful and kind of go against what the game is / wants from the player. I died from some platforming section and respawned miles away because I was exploring without finding a telephone, game got turned off for now.

It's also weird that you can fall into water and drown and it puts you right back to where you jumped, but if you get squashed you instantly die and have to respawn.

I've only played the game for a bit, but the checkpoint system is a huge negative for me right now. Runbacks for tricky platforming sections feel completely unnecessary and affect the flow of the game negatively.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the map covered, game does a lot of cool things but the checkpointing and backtracking get to me. Platforming is also sometimes more annoying than fun (and that map screen is not pretty). This year has been swimming in 8/10's for me this included. Prince of Persia already burned me out on backtracking/weird checkpointing.

Last edited:

parski

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 13, 2017
explore_text.png
Does it look glorious on OLED?

amara

Nov 23, 2021
The bubble wand is one of the last power ups I got. I could have got this at the very beginning smh

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
this game is a fucking photo-sensitivity nightmare and i am SUPER glad i'm not epileptic

even with reduced flashing and the scanlines off it gets to be a... lot

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Damn, the items in this game are top notch. I've been complaining about Metroid having largely the same upgrades for decades now and this is exactly what I've been looking for: new, unique, and genuinely fun items that seem simple on the surface but have a variety of traversal and puzzle-solving applications.

I think I'd still place Tunic above it so far but I really wish Tunic had the same variety in items as Animal Well. That was the main thing keeping it from a 10/10 for me.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Just dropping in to say this game is cool as fuck. Usually I don't care too much about spoilers but I haven't looked at any posts I'm bouncing until I beat the game

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As I progress and get more stuff, I want to come back here and post about it, but I don't want to because there are a lot of small yet cool "aha" moments.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Just got the 4th
flame.
I was stuck for a bit. I missed some obvious ways forward and probably ended up doing the hardest
flames (ostrich and dog)
first.

Haven't looked anything up yet, thankfully. Game is cool as hell.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
I like puzzle games in general, but really did not care for FEZ. Based on this thread is seems like the game is not for me then? Puzzles that punish failure by wasting your time also sounds like it would be controller breakingly frustrating. The game looked really cool and I have access to it through Playstation plus is it worth it to give it a shot?

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I like puzzle games in general, but really did not care for FEZ. Based on this thread is seems like the game is not for me then? Puzzles that punish failure by wasting your time also sounds like it would be controller breakingly frustrating. The game looked really cool and I have access to it through Playstation plus is it worth it to give it a shot?

If you've got it on playstation plus then it's worth giving it a go to see how well you get on with it. The game is only 100mb, so you wouldn't even be spending time downloading it.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
If you've got it on playstation plus then it's worth giving it a go to see how well you get on with it. The game is only 100mb, so you wouldn't even be spending time downloading it.
I mostly ask to check if I would be wasting my time. There as so many great games currently that I want to play and haven`t got around to yet, so playing a game if I am most likely going to dislike it feels like a waste.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I mostly ask to check if I would be wasting my time. There as so many great games currently that I want to play and haven`t got around to yet, so playing a game if I am most likely going to dislike it feels like a waste.

Well I never played Fez so not sure how puzzle focused it is, but Animal Well is more focused on platforming puzzles and how to use the toolkit that you build up to get past a screen. Outside of a couple frustrating screens that rely on hidden passages, I personally haven't found anything too frustrating, as most dead ends I ran into were solved by going down a different path.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
Well I never played Fez so not sure how puzzle focused it is, but Animal Well is more focused on platforming puzzles and how to use the toolkit that you build up to get past a screen. Outside of a couple frustrating screens that rely on hidden passages, I personally haven't found anything too frustrating, as most dead ends I ran into were solved by going down a different path.
Thanks for the reply!

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I've got three out of the four flames so far, but now I've got to go back to work for another 8 hours arghh

So far I haven't found it TOO difficult puzzle wise, and I'm somebody who's normally quite stupid when it comes to puzzle games. I've only had to look up one thing so far which I feel a bit embarrassed about because the solution was stupidly obvious.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
I played for maybe an hour yesterday, game is simple but pretty fun so far.

Also the bubble wand is super broken, I discovered shortly after getting it that you can press jump and the bubble button to place a bubble and jump at the same time, which means you can be standing on a bubble, and then create a new one and jump to it while in the air, effectively being able to skip parts of puzzles.

ShellFoyer

Oct 30, 2017
I played for maybe an hour yesterday, game is simple but pretty fun so far.

Also the bubble wand is super broken, I discovered shortly after getting it that you can press jump and the bubble button to place a bubble and jump at the same time, which means you can be standing on a bubble, and then create a new one and jump to it while in the air, effectively being able to skip parts of puzzles.

That's intentional, though. The "intended" route is there in case you haven't figured that out.

Cebrudras

Oct 27, 2017
I think the game is playing a bit loose with coyote time. I have only played for an hour but already had like two jumps I didn't manage until I deliberately started them too late.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Credits rolling.

Outside of a slightly frustrating checkpoint system this was absolutely wonderful.

Now to start playing the real game 😅

beezer

Nov 5, 2017
Stopped playing yesterday around puzzle with caged cats, it was late, I was getting sleepy and stuck a bit, also all this meowing was driving me nuts, lol. Also was shocked a little by the traversal mechanics via bubbles and tubes, will go at it again now, I have to get I guess two more buttons, those pure souls must be saved!

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Just figured out what those numbered pillars are for and feel so smart right now.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Just been over my map and there are at least 26 spots that look like they lead somewhere 😬

Going to come back to this after Crow Country and start to pick at these spots.

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
Any comments on Switch performance? Trying to decide between Switch OLED and Steam Deck LCD.

TM_

Oct 1, 2022
how much precision platforming is there (if any)? love the vibe but i don't want to buy a game that's too difficult to complete.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
who knew a dachshund could be so freaking scary?
The weenie dog actually scared the shit out of me lol
In the 90 minutes I played yesterday, this is the one single thing that really creeped me out. It was just so unsettling for me.

The bubble wand is one of the last power ups I got. I could have got this at the very beginning smh
This is the very first power up I got and it has been super useful. Especially when I figured out that you can press square and X at the same time to jump freely in areas

Azuos

Sep 29, 2021
This game opens SO MUCH after every power, it's insane.

It feels like you get cheat codes every time you open a golden chest.

how much precision platforming is there (if any)? love the vibe but i don't want to buy a game that's too difficult to complete.
Not much. At least when comparing to something like celeste. The difficulty lies in knowing what to do.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
OK I'm gonna be honest, the manual save points coupled with how easy to die it is and lose 10-15 minutes of puzzle/platforming progress are REALLY starting to piss me off.

Please tell me I unlock a feature that makes the checkpointing less aggressively mean. Redoing multiple whole rooms of puzzles because I died due to contact damage isn't fun.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Just saw credits after about 7,5 hours, and I'm 34 eggs in. I'm going to keep scratching at this thing. I at least want to try to get all the eggs.
I just found
two new usable items
post-credits...

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I am away from my PS5 all weekend but I just want to explore all those gaps in the map 😭

Mar 19, 2021
This game is insanely good so far, won't interact with this thread until I'm done I think because it's so special in terms of discovery

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Unfortunate to see so many issues around infrequent save points. Have so little time to game nowadays I hate losing progress. Puts me off purchasing at the moment sadly.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Unfortunate to see so many issues around infrequent save points. Have so little time to game nowadays I hate losing progress. Puts me off purchasing at the moment sadly.

To be fair, there's no real "losing progress" to speak of. Even if you find a collectible or something and you manage to die, you'll respawn at your last save point but you'll still have the thing you found and the pieces of the map you explored opened up. I also never felt that save points were too far away (they are marked on your map and often easy to get to) and never felt like there weren't enough of them. You're almost always at a maximum of 4-5 screens away from one (maybe not literally) and you can travel through most screens within seconds if you've done them before.

I see I'm in the minority here, but it never felt to me like I wasted time, and it took me short of 8 hours for the credits to roll with about 20 eggs, which is on the longer side.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
I'm lost...

(EARLY ON)
Got the mock disk and got through the stuff without that damn cat following me and then got whatever was in that overhanging chest. But now I'm totally confused as to where to go. Been exploring everywhere and can't find anything.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
This game rules. I just found two
inputs for the flute,
which I've used to save
two cats.
Guess I'm hunting for more of those now. I still have three more to go.

Also at 39 eggs now.

Finding all of this stuff on my own is so rewarding.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Rolled credits after about 4 hours with around 35 eggs. Really creative and fun game. Probably gonna try to get all the achievements, but idk about this level 3 stuff.