Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
For those not keeping up with the Discord, the second major puzzle has been solved. My attempt at an explanation for those interested, though I didn't solve this myself (only afterwards I read up and pieced it together):

There are sixteen currently known bunnies, the ones listed here plus a further one involving water respawning.

In the house at the end, you see the definition for a data structure called "BDTP", consisting of an index* (4 bits) and two directions (2 bits each). There's also a picture of a flag.
*index start at 0

You also learn that you can calculate a 4-bit number based on the direction a rabbit's ears are pointing:

Each ear points in one of four directions, which convert to 0 through 3 (as two-bit numbers):
SPOILER_image.png

e.g., the index shown by the top bunny is 12 as 3 = 11 in binary, and 0 = 00 in binary, so put together (as a nibble, 4 bits) you get 1100 = 12.

Each of the 16 bunnies end up in the area where the second ending takes place, the portal realm where you can ride the Manticore(s).

Each bunny's ears move twice. The first time they move, you get the index (calculated as above). The second time, you get the two directions (you don't convert this to an index, you just use the visuals).

Do this for all 16 bunnies, then ride the Manticore in the directions you have starting from the area with the flag, beginning with the first index (0) you have. You eventually end up at a temple... where you gain the ability to transform into a moth and fly.

This requires all 16 bunnies to do, even if you know the route to take. But now you know how to calculate it... so why not give it a go when you have all 16?

I hope people can appreciate how deep this game is!

ShellFoyer

Oct 30, 2017
Post-credits, 49 eggs and traversing the map again, it's time for hints from the community.

Area: s. medallion area. Item: Remote control
The remote control works in some areas, and not in others. In the three-dog room, there's switch blocks but they don't change. That's the only place I can see it would be useful so far. But if you can point the way to where else it's used, that would be NICE.

Area: k. medallion area. Item: bouncy ball
Found the egg in the k. medallion area, and went back to the s. medallion area and got the breakout egg. don't know where else this could be used.

Area: Room above swordfish
I can't traverse spikes!!! Don't know if I need an item I haven't got yet. There's that other chest on spikes on the very right of the map I don't know how to get either.

Symbol: Directional arrows
I've seen four sets of these with a seemingly associated symbol for each, but I don't know where they would be input (presumably using the flute, but who knows). I have found one area where you can input directions, but don't know if it's related to each of these short sets.

Area: Incubator room
I saw in a post above that you can reawaken the manticore and use its lasers to break glass (this happened once when I first faced it, but then another time it used the lasers and no glass broke, so I wasn't sure if that's what caused it) but just interacting with the incubator doesn't do anything.

General:
Presumably there's one more match and candle somewhere, but I'll just see if I come across that with some direction on the above. I know where another medallion can be placed but don't know where that medallion is. Got the blocked area to the right of the spurting whale. Again, I guess I'll see if anything unlocks after making progress on the above, unless there's something I'm missing, in which case: inform me! We've got the area immediately after the post-credits, but I'm assuming I don't need to know what that does just yet. I waited 'til the next hour and saw the bird. That's it.

Thanks for your help. Let me know if you have less than 49 eggs and want a hint.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Game is a delight, love all the aha! moments you get from figuring out how everything works together. Not sure how far I am in, I've gotten four of the permanent items so far. I'm sure there's stuff later on in the main path that's a lot harder but this hasn't given me too much trouble so far in terms of puzzle difficulty (yes I know there's much harder being discovered via the discord). I guess so far at least this game's puzzle logic clicks for me a lot quicker than Tunic and Fez's did. I'm sure I'll walk back on that the further in I get :P

I love how responsive the jumping is, snappy in a similar vein to Celeste and Super Meat Boy's. Taking a break from it now but overall pretty pleased with the experience overall.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Ended up using maps to locate some post game items and the last few eggs but solved all the puzzles myself at least. Got all the achievements. Probably would have given up if I hadn't used online maps because the game does you few favors as far as tracking what rooms you have and haven't completed, aside from giving you stamps (after you find them).

Good luck filling in every pixel of the in-game map to make sure you didn't miss a tiny area. Puzzles were really cool, but I think the game could use better QoL for the "layer 2" stuff. Though actually, the egg room feels like it was designed for you to look up the ones you were missing. That's nice I guess, but I'd rather have more direction available in-game.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Got first flame, game is great so far. Very intuitive, constantly feeling like I'm progressing and puzzles have been good.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how to get the lower chest in this room? I used the remote in the house to see the eight faces, and tried playing them in order in this room, but it didn't do anything.

k25tw7z.jpeg

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Post-credits, 49 eggs and traversing the map again, it's time for hints from the community.

Area: s. medallion area. Item: Remote control
The remote control works in some areas, and not in others. In the three-dog room, there's switch blocks but they don't change. That's the only place I can see it would be useful so far. But if you can point the way to where else it's used, that would be NICE.

Area: k. medallion area. Item: bouncy ball
Found the egg in the k. medallion area, and went back to the s. medallion area and got the breakout egg. don't know where else this could be used.

Area: Room above swordfish
I can't traverse spikes!!! Don't know if I need an item I haven't got yet. There's that other chest on spikes on the very right of the map I don't know how to get either.

Symbol: Directional arrows
I've seen four sets of these with a seemingly associated symbol for each, but I don't know where they would be input (presumably using the flute, but who knows). I have found one area where you can input directions, but don't know if it's related to each of these short sets.

Area: Incubator room
I saw in a post above that you can reawaken the manticore and use its lasers to break glass (this happened once when I first faced it, but then another time it used the lasers and no glass broke, so I wasn't sure if that's what caused it) but just interacting with the incubator doesn't do anything.

General:
Presumably there's one more match and candle somewhere, but I'll just see if I come across that with some direction on the above. I know where another medallion can be placed but don't know where that medallion is. Got the blocked area to the right of the spurting whale. Again, I guess I'll see if anything unlocks after making progress on the above, unless there's something I'm missing, in which case: inform me! We've got the area immediately after the post-credits, but I'm assuming I don't need to know what that does just yet. I waited 'til the next hour and saw the bird. That's it.

Thanks for your help. Let me know if you have less than 49 eggs and want a hint.

1. It's useful pretty much everywhere, and that's not an overstatement. You can use it in a lot of rooms where you'd usually use switches to traverse through those rooms faster, but there are also other rooms where it'll work and do interesting things. Just try it out!

2. 🤐

3. If you're there, you have what you need.

4. If these are what I think you're referring to: 🐯

5. You'll figure this out when you're ready.

6. There are -----9----- matches and candles.

Does anyone know how to get the lower chest in this room? I used the remote in the house to see the eight faces, and tried playing them in order in this room, but it didn't do anything.

k25tw7z.jpeg

This is the right solution for a different puzzle/different location.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
How necessary is the
bubble jump
to progress? I can't seem to get it down. I feel mixed about the game. Scratches a lot of itches but something isn't hitting quite right atm.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
This thread is a nightmare, haha.

Just feels like the kind of game where I don't want to open any spoilers despite having I think all the 'main' items at this point.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
You can roll credits without it but it's mandatory to solve a lot of optional puzzles.

Thanks, I'm just trying to get to the credits and we'll see where it goes from there!

Literally pressing X and Square (or your equivalent) at the same time should do the trick.

I've been trying this and I can't keep it working consistently which always happens at the least opportune times and need backtracking.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Thanks, I'm just trying to get to the credits and we'll see where it goes from there!

I've been trying this and I can't keep it working consistently which always happens at the least opportune times and need backtracking.

What worked for me when I needed it to be really precise was pressing Square just a hair before pressing X. I think you can also shoot bubbles straight below you, which might be easier, although I haven't used that much, so I'm not sure.

Huh, how do you even trigger that? I must've yo-yo'd that gerbil at least 30 times and this never happened for me.

Jan 13, 2022
With the d-pad it's super easy. Just tap square + x (or your equivalent for item and jump) + a d-pad direction all for the same length of time. Just a short tap. You can nail it every time.

Jan 13, 2022
What worked for me when I needed it to be really precise was pressing Square just a hair before pressing X. I think you can also shoot bubbles straight below you, which might be easier, although I haven't used that much, so I'm not sure.

Huh, how do you even trigger that? I must've yo-yo'd that gerbil at least 30 times and this never happened for me.

It was for the walk the dog trophy, I think. Did you get that one?

Unless something else triggered it that I don't understand and the trophy being right before it was coincidental.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Unless something else triggered it that I don't understand and the trophy being right before it was coincidental.

Yeah I did get that trophy. Platinum'd it a couple hours ago. But this never happened for me. Great Easter egg! Makes me wonder what other things like this are hidden through random(?) triggers.

Jan 13, 2022
Yeah I did get that trophy. Platinum'd it a couple hours ago. But this never happened for me. Great Easter egg! Makes me wonder what other things like this are hidden through random(?) triggers.

I looked and the timing was coincidental. Seems to be from holding down some button for a while according to another post I found about it on the steam boards after googling.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017

There's definitely more to it. I got that achievement but didn't see the reference

Edit: Looks like you already addressed it, nvm

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I've spent 21 hours in this game so far, beat the first layer yesterday and I'm currently missing like 5 eggs.

I feel like I still have NO idea what this game is. Like, the stuff people are discussing on the Discord is so incredibly dense and beyond anything I would ever have discovered on my own that I feel like I can't even articulate the questions I have. The story and world is evocative in a Dark Souls like way but it gives you way less information to go on at face value, and then it just goes deeper into the rabbit hole to a point where I honestly don't see anyone really "beating" this game in a good, long while.

I'll probably call it a day once I get all the eggs, but even if you only see credits once this is such an incredibly well-done game. It's crazy how consistently it's able to blow your mind by letting you try out your tools and discover a whole new, hidden mechanic by accident.

You can actually trigger it at any moment if you hold A for about 5 seconds. The must be so much random stuff like this in the game that nobody knows about, too.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Can someone, spoiler free, tell me roughly what sort of "deeper layers" people mean with this game? Are we talking Souls like hidden stories and quests and areas, or is this a super obtuse Fez thing with hidden codes and shit you can't possibly figure out without the Internet?

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I might have to call it quits. I have found 57 eggs so far, but I'm just beating my head against a wall at this point.

Here are some of the chests / things that I can't seem to figure out:

8314SoA.jpeg

I feel like I've tried everything here, but no clue how to get the chest.

eXiNv3L.jpeg

Absolutely no clue how to get this chest. I even tried bringing the M. Disc back there, because the dog statues react to the ghost.

UAh8nbM.jpeg

The boxes have moved recently versus when the Ostrich in the wheel got drowned. I have no clue what made the move. I need to manipulate the boxes to open the gate next to the chest.

U6QVpmE.jpeg

No clue how to interact with this Manticore gate (?)

GBkwtnW.jpeg

I'm still missing one flute input to release one of the smaller Lynxes. I have absolutely no clue where it is. I feel like I've combed the entire map multiple times.There also seems to be a 56 input lock on top of this screen.

Furthermore:

I'm missing one match, so I can't light the final candle which presumably opens up something else.

There is an area all the way south west that has a circular indent. I think it's similar to the snake and kangaroo statues. But I'm not sure what allowed me to enter open up the snake statue. Maybe I need another item from the Kangaroo, but I feel he appears randomly. My other idea would be to bring the Mock Disc, but that is such a long hike with the ghost in tow, that I don't even want to try.

There is a tamagotchi egg at the top of the well which you can enter. There seems to be a chest in there which is locked by a gate. When you are in the device, it shows a pedometer. Maybe the gate opens up after s certain amount of steps, but I have no clue.

Last edited:

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
trying to avoid reading anything else in this thread. I played more and I do enjoy it more, maybe about 12-13 eggs in? I can't tell if I like the lack of progression or not, im kind of amazed how far I'm getting with the first item/frisbee alone, but if it werent for me accidentally seeing people mention that you could ride it, I'm not sure I would have gotten anywhere in the game because I doubt I would have stumbled upon that by accident. Is it possible to get anywhere without using it in that way? It's how I've made nearly all my progression

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Can someone, spoiler free, tell me roughly what sort of "deeper layers" people mean with this game? Are we talking Souls like hidden stories and quests and areas, or is this a super obtuse Fez thing with hidden codes and shit you can't possibly figure out without the Internet?

The latter, but I think you still get a super rewarding and lengthy experience if you just aim for the secret ending (collect all the hidden eggs) and stop there. I'll appreciate the more insane stuff from a distance once people start making videos and dissecting every little thing, but the stuff I've seen from the "true" post-game is just too much for me.

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoy the atmosphere of the game, but its pretty weak in terms of gameplay? The "puzzles" are insanely weak and mostly about dexterity

Scarlett

Dec 5, 2020
[
trying to avoid reading anything else in this thread. I played more and I do enjoy it more, maybe about 12-13 eggs in? I can't tell if I like the lack of progression or not, im kind of amazed how far I'm getting with the first item/frisbee alone, but if it werent for me accidentally seeing people mention that you could ride it, I'm not sure I would have gotten anywhere in the game because I doubt I would have stumbled upon that by accident. Is it possible to get anywhere without using it in that way? It's how I've made nearly all my progression

It is. I've seen people not even get that until it was their last tool.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoy the atmosphere of the game, but its pretty weak in terms of gameplay? The "puzzles" are insanely weak and mostly about dexterity

More than that I think some of the platforming is just not very good. If we're comparing it to Fez or Tunic then that checks out because its similar in that way, great atmosphere and creative ideas but the core gameplay being less engaging.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Having fun learning cool stuff in the post game, but very soon I think I'm going to hit that wall where I'm just combing over every pixel and revisiting increasingly long sections of previously trodden map just to find one more thing. This happens in a lot of Metroidvania and some give a kind of compass item, though I can see why the ethos here wouldn't be to do that.

There's definitely stuff I'm seeing that I haven't *quite* put together yet...I hope I figure out that extra layer soon.

Krepu

Nov 14, 2018
It's arguably a risky design decision to not give too much indication to help the players find all the eggs, while also expecting them to search and find stuff online for the layer 3 secrets. The likely consequence is that a lot of people are going to seek online help for layer 2 as well.

Especially because sometimes the distinction between layer 2 and 3 is not clear in the game, for example while searching for the last few eggs in my playthrough I stumbled upon a room that really looked like it was going to have an egg in it, but after failing to complete it for a long time I looked up online and found out it was for a bunny

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
I got my first flame. Do you get any powers with it or something? I didn't seem to get anything except a trophy. I am assuming you "beat" the game by collecting all flames scattered around the map?

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Liking the game so far, but will see how much further I push ahead right now. Like the visual design and the tools I've picked up so far are fun to utilize, but I'm not a big fan of how obtuse the map functionality is, and how illegible it is when it comes to displaying already-visited rooms. Get the feeling it'll be a pain in the ass to backtrack properly later on.

Colink

May 23, 2022
Got the last egg,
office key, plat and true ending

I guess it's my favorite game since BOTW. I'm not sure how deep I will keep going, I think
most bunnies are out of reach for me
if I keep going solo, but I want to keep discovering stuff by myself before hopping on secret hunting discords.

Truly incredible game, congratulations Billy Basso !

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
i played for about 40 minutes and i find the art kind of unreadable and the movement style too similarly tedious to VVVVV/pixel perfect jumpers

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
This game is a complete surprise to me.
I'd dismissed it as it seemed a bit like Rain World which I ended up hating.
After the outstanding reviews I decided to go for it. It's everything I thought Rain World was (I'm sorry if you like that game, I just struggle with the weird physics and control of the slug worm, felt like I was constantly wrestling with it).

A number of times I've been in absolute joy when I've solved a puzzle by just playing around.
My face lit up when
I learned you can ride the Frisbee!

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
You should put it in spoiler so others can get the same surprise as you

im surprised it wasn't the first thing people tried with that one, like it was the main utility for it. A little disappointed most of the other items didn't have that kind of alternative utility.
QBMpEZ8.jpeg

Was like a few minutes after because I thought it was just the whole point of that thing lol

Last edited:

Cebrudras

Oct 27, 2017
i played for about 40 minutes and i find the art kind of unreadable and the movement style too similarly tedious to VVVVV/pixel perfect jumpers
It's actually only precise if you stick to the visuals. Once I realized how much coyote time there is everything immediately became very manageable. You can walk your entire character sprite off the ledge and only then jump to get better reach. There is also an item that let's you cheat height that was my first pickup.

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Managed to snatch all achievements, one of my favorites games of all time. Let's see that 4 layer now.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
The extra endgame stuff really isn't for me considering whats been discovered so far.

Unlike say Fez where you had a small set of tools and the clues were usually nearby, the obscurity here just to get to the hint for the secret is obscene. Theres even a hint that is unavailable in all but the PC version of the game.

There is another that is behind a platforming challenge that require some frame-perfect timing or jank physics trial-and-error so much so that its the only time it gives you a save point right beside it.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021
One of the main objectives I've just completed reminded me of an Ori chase sequence in the best possible way, this game is so magical