Mar 19, 2021
Yeah this is a 10 for me, reached credits and now going for some more egg hunting. I feel like I have a decent grasp on multiple secrets that I've yet to uncover, it feels like the game really rewards curiosity and experimenting with the different tools you have. Exploration is really top notch and you just know that everything was placed deliberately. The amount of times I felt so proud of myself for figuring something out was crazy lol, this will definitely be up there for GOTY with Balatro for me.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Game feels strictly abstract but my thoughts were that this is limbo for animals and their vague life experience.

Collect enough eggs for a flute then make it work with travel song

You're correct with what you need to do, but note that it chases you everywhere, so C H A O S' tip works - you can essentially make the dog chase you to the other side of the map by warping to the fast travel room, then use the fast travel to go right back to where you were and do it leisurely without the dog catching up to you unless you fail the block part a LOT.

It's not the nicest section for those of us with bad reflexes, haha... but that workaround is definitely helping.

Thanks, but what's this about warping/travelling? I have that equipable item but the game hasn't hinted about it, at least from what I can tell.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
You're correct with what you need to do, but note that it chases you everywhere, so C H A O S' tip works - you can essentially make the dog chase you to the other side of the map by warping to the fast travel room, then use the fast travel to go right back to where you were and do it leisurely without the dog catching up to you unless you fail the block part a LOT.

It's not the nicest section for those of us with bad reflexes, haha... but that workaround is definitely helping.

It's a nice puzzlevania. I wouldn't call it life changing!
The encounter you had is pretty annoying indeed. The whole game is not like this, but there ARE some sections like it. I grumbled a lot at it, too - even made a post about it earlier in the thread.

The puzzles and exploration after that is really good though and easily makes up for that frustration. But I hear you, it really was frustrating and annoying.
Thanks for the insight. I'll keep attempting later today. Glad at least I was doing it right and I didn't need something additional

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
is there a way to consistently jump on your frisbee in the same jump? sometimes i do it and i cant figure out how i did it

Hrist

Jun 30, 2023
Thanks, but what's this about warping/travelling? I have that equipable item but the game hasn't hinted about it, at least from what I can tell.

Hint 1:
Check the room that originally gave you the item, and find an use there. THis leads you there.

Hint 2:
In the area after that, check out the seemingly useless room below. Is there something odd, say when you enter it?

Hint 3:
Stand on one of the ledges on the left, and watch what happens in the water. Can you use that somehow?

is there a way to consistently jump on your frisbee in the same jump? sometimes i do it and i cant figure out how i did it

The only way I found is throw it like GJ says - at the apex of your jump - and then pray. It seems the timing is incredibly tight, only a few frames at most. I know exactly how to do it and still can only do it once every four jumps or so. Don't feel bad if it fails a lot, you really have very, very precise timing. In almost every situation you're better off throwing it the other direction you want to go and bouncing it off a wall, its way easier to jump onto it when it approaches you.

any hints on where are the codes to free the cats ?

Giving general hints unless you want more.
They are all in the general area, but may need you to move through the pipes. You also need the reward for 32 eggs

C1: In the area above the kangaroo
C2: Where there was a bird in a wheel
C3: In a room without a floor, only water and moving platforms
C4: In a small room which overlooks the dance of a ton of bunny/mice ghosts
C5: Somewhere in the lowest area of the biome. This one was hardest for me and took me a lot of looking, so here's another hint:
C5H2: Check the map carefully, it actually shows you something unusual in a room where something is just out of reach.

Hope that helps, I can also just specify them if you like!

This is my favorite puzzle in the game overall.

Last edited:

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Hint 1:
Check the room that originally gave you the item, and find an use there. THis leads you there.

Hint 2:
In the area after that, check out the seemingly useless room below. Is there something odd, say when you enter it?

Hint 3:
Stand on one of the ledges on the left, and watch what happens in the water. Can you use that somehow?

The only way I found is throw it like GJ says - at the apex of your jump - and then pray. It seems the timing is incredibly tight, only a few frames at most. I know exactly how to do it and still can only do it once every four jumps or so. Don't feel bad if it fails a lot, you really have very, very precise timing. In almost every situation you're better off throwing it the other direction you want to go and bouncing it off a wall, its way easier to jump onto it when it approaches you.

Appreciate the detailed write-up, thanks, but forgot to come back to the topic and mention I passed that (using this ability you're hinting at!) and reached the credits!

Fun game, not a 10/10 in my book but it's obviously well-thought-out and impressively made. Will take a small break from it before returning for the "layer 2" stuff, I thought I was thorough but barely found any eggs lol

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
The official discord it's insane, they are discovering new shit, and new layers so fast. This game has so many things that you have to dig deeper and deeper to find.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Are the yellow sort of pedestals related to an item? (Postgame) My first thought when I got the top was that it might spin inside but that didn't work. Have all three items from the medal areas so only missing the last one.

inspectah

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Okay, what am I supposed to do with this thing?

I just got the bouncy Ball and I don't know what its use case is. I was hoping it would break the glass blocks but that doesn't seem to be the case. I also don't have the right-most item in the third row so maybe that breaks those?

Edit: I just figured it out. That's crazy lmao
Tell me! 😅
So, I reached 55 eggs on my own, and between getting extremely frustrated with the swordfish spike puzzle and a few other things, I decided to just look up a guide.

And hoo boy, am I glad I did. It's true I could have stumbled onto most of these eggs, but to my knowledge there is no tool or technique that could possibly have led me to the correct area, it would have involved wildly increasing numbers of hours just scouring every corner of every room. These were not eggs that were revealed by missing pixels in the map.

Moreover, many of my unsolved mysteries were either actually nothing, unbeatable unless you start a new game, or in Layer 3 (which, having seen some of it, isn't really a thing a person can do on their own).

My recommendation to everyone is to discover every secret you can, exhaust all reasonable avenues of things that look interesting to you, and then crack open a guide. Finding all the eggs without one is possible, but in my opinion, it's going to cross well over into the realm of not-very-fun.

Ultimately, though, a pretty great game. Some great items, unique interactions, and the general vibe of the game sold it for me. Well done to Billy and everyone who helped him!
Yeah, I'm feeling the same.
Im at a point where I need to revisit every single room and use certain items there, which I don't find very fun.
Which guide did you use?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Ok hit credits, 32 eggs and one rabbit without a guide, pretty proud of myself tbh.

Can someone give me a hint as to what I should prioritise now? I feel I've explored the majority of the map.

Mar 19, 2021
Ok hit credits, 32 eggs and one rabbit without a guide, pretty proud of myself tbh.

Can someone give me a hint as to what I should prioritise now? I feel I've explored the majority of the map.

I've just been doing more eggs so far, reached 48 eggs and discovered a lot more secret areas that I didn't see before. I haven't quite figured out what to with some of the bottom row items I have yet and am also missing a match.

There's also some chests I just don't know how to get to yet lol, it's definitely more of a backtracking and see what tools may work somewhere you've been before. I find marking the map pretty important at this stage

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
The room behind the cranes was just mean. I have no idea what the point of all that was other than finding a rabbit? Not far in I don't think but enjoying it other than it being really hard in some places. Reminds me of La Mulana a little with a Twin Peaks soundtrack.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I think im cooked after getting maybe 3/4 of the eggs, don't think i'll see the extra stuff. Getting them all seems to be such a big ask.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Actually "finished" the game and now doing post-game.

Honestly its iincredible and I love it.

Just need one question answered for peace of mind.

Is everything solvable within the game without outside knowledge? (Like Fez if you know what I mean)

ShellFoyer

Oct 30, 2017
The official discord it's insane, they are discovering new shit, and new layers so fast. This game has so many things that you have to dig deeper and deeper to find.

It's fun to watch the discord, so now that I've got all the eggs and finished there, I might just watch what they're finding there and not play the game as much (I might just get the last trophy I need for the platinum).

Mar 19, 2021
It's annoying that I'm missing one match and don't have the slightest idea where it could be. I know where the candle is though at least

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Is everything solvable within the game without outside knowledge? (Like Fez if you know what I mean)

No. The eggs seem to be possible without outside sources but there's other stuff that required collaboration.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020

I would say, second layer (eggs) and a chunk of the third (bunnies) too. At least one puzzle of the third is impossible to do on your own, and there's several that are really complex to do it all by yourself.

The you have the 4th layer...

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
ugh, the last hour or so of the main story is really frustrating and annoying out of no where

the whole game is chill from a time perspective and then at the end they expect you to grab the stupid mock disc and run it all the way past some of the most annoying parts of the map. maybe theres an easier way to get past the 4 dogs i the pit, and the other dog with the boulder on a chain? but then you still have that tedious jumping section across the 4 floating blocks, then the last room the switch at the bottom of the pit

then in what i assume is the last area there is suddenly a monster that chases you around in a way that the game never really does (except for the mock disk run). i've died like 10 times to this stupid boss. im having a hard time coming up with a path that feels fluid and good

it feels like a completely different game

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten all four flames. How long until credits? Finding this game really frustrating and not really enjoying it anymore, I just wanna complete it though.

Oct 26, 2017
ugh, the last hour or so of the main story is really frustrating and annoying out of no where

the whole game is chill from a time perspective and then at the end they expect you to grab the stupid mock disc and run it all the way past some of the most annoying parts of the map. maybe theres an easier way to get past the 4 dogs i the pit, and the other dog with the boulder on a chain? but then you still have that tedious jumping section across the 4 floating blocks, then the last room the switch at the bottom of the pit

then in what i assume is the last area there is suddenly a monster that chases you around in a way that the game never really does (except for the mock disk run). i've died like 10 times to this stupid boss. im having a hard time coming up with a path that feels fluid and good

it feels like a completely different game
My strategy for the disc was to fast travel far away before running up top
I think the game is okay I like the vibe, but wtf are reviewers talking about. Outer wilds???
This game is mostly just doing simple tasks fast disguised as puzzles. Everything is item driven and not at all like OW

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I think the game is okay I like the vibe, but wtf are reviewers talking about. Outer wilds???
This game is mostly just doing simple tasks fast disguised as puzzles. Everything is item driven and not at all like OW

To be honest, the only person I have seen compare it to Outer Wilds is Jason. I can get what he is saying tho. Your progression is mostly item based, but there's a big part of the progression that is knowledge based (melody tunes, items tech, etc). If you start playing the game from 0 with all that knowledge, you are going to go extremely fast and even skip big portions of the game.

I really like the concept of "Metroidbrainia", and describing it as such would have avoided some misconception.

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
My strategy for the disc was to fast travel far away before running up top
i didnt even know you could fast travel lol

also outer wilds? no. fucking. way.

this game is fine, outer wilds is a masterpiece

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
I wish this game wasn't so obscure. I got my first flame (that didn't seem to give me any new powers), was able to access previously unaccessible areas with my new items that I gathered on my way to the flame, got a pencil and an (S or 5 - can't tell with the blocky text) medal that I can't even find in my inventory.

I have no idea where to go next and except for a few places that I cannot reach yet, I can't seem to know where to head towards. Yes I know I should head to the next closest flame, but I just can't find a way yet and I feel like I need a new item or something to be able to do this

Azuos

Sep 29, 2021
The game has nothing to do with Outer Wilds. It's Tunic but with metroidvania exploration.

Hrist

Jun 30, 2023

I don't think that's fair. That's like breaking down outer wilds to 'puzzles are just simple tasks about looking the right way and standing in the right place a few times'. Animal Well definitely has mechanical discovery (such as how specific items are used, how specific animals interact with what you're doing, how you need to manipulate things in the world to get to where you want to go), and overall there's more problem solving than in a lot of puzzle games. Like, take Braid, I'd put the puzzles here above those.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Got the credits. Just on this page alone I realize there's a lot of secrets I could find, but I don't have a whole lot of interest in diving in to look around more.

That's okay. I was expecting to be a bit more wowed based on some of the impressions, but it was a good little time overall.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No. The eggs seem to be possible without outside sources but there's other stuff that required collaboration.

I would say, second layer (eggs) and a chunk of the third (bunnies) too. At least one puzzle of the third is impossible to do on your own, and there's several that are really complex to do it all by yourself.

The you have the 4th layer...

Thanks for the clarification

So for the third (and maybe 4th?) layers, has the community set it up in a way to lead you to the solution through hints or is it just all out in the open?

Is there a discord group I need to join or just go through Reddit?

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This last encounter is one of the most frustrating parts of a game I've played recently. Really not a fan of this one.

Edit: alright, figured it out. Boy, I really don't get the hype for this one. It's just okay 6/10, 7/10 imo. Very simple game design wise and I think a lot of the secrets are probably too cryptic for their own good.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that's fair. That's like breaking down outer wilds to 'puzzles are just simple tasks about looking the right way and standing in the right place a few times'. Animal Well definitely has mechanical discovery (such as how specific items are used, how specific animals interact with what you're doing, how you need to manipulate things in the world to get to where you want to go), and overall there's more problem solving than in a lot of puzzle games. Like, take Braid, I'd put the puzzles here above those.
Thats exactly what the outer wilds is though. There are no puzzles, you just learn how to do things.

I like downwell but the majority of the game puzzles are "race your slinky down a set of stairs" tier.

Like the final boss is just "yeah use your items under pressure!"

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Thanks for the clarification

So for the third (and maybe 4th?) layers, has the community set it up in a way to lead you to the solution through hints or is it just all out in the open?

Is there a discord group I need to join or just go through Reddit?

You can ask for hints in the official discord, it's a bit chaotic at the moment with so many discoveries but the community is really pleasant and helpful:

discord.com

Join the ANIMAL WELL Discord Server!

Discord server for the newly released game Animal Well. Developed by Shared Memory and produced by Big Mode. | 3794 members

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
I found the next flame but can't reach it. Says I need an m disc to put in the shrine. Where do I get that?

Oct 27, 2017
Am I missing something regarding the Kangaroo?

I need to get the 3rd item from it but it's just not dropping. It just left three times in a row despite throwing the firecracker. It worked the previous two times, but nothing now.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found the next flame but can't reach it. Says I need an m disc to put in the shrine. Where do I get that?

Get ready for the worst part of the game.

you have go back to where to you inserted the fake disc, and then take it to the alter while being chased by that big fucking ghost cat wolf thing.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Get ready for the worst part of the game.

you have go back to where to you inserted the fake disc, and then take it to the alter while being chased by that big fucking ghost cat wolf thing.

Holy shit OMG loooooooooooooool

I hope I remember where that is. I probably forgot lmao

Hrist

Jun 30, 2023
Thats exactly what the outer wilds is though. There are no puzzles, you just learn how to do things.

That's what a puzzle is! For example, figuring out how to get to the quantum room is a puzzle - you need to understand the mechanics of the moon, and then apply it to your approach and your spaceship.

Puzzles aren't just use item to remove bush or push block into the right place. I'd argue that what you call "not a puzzle" is actually the best kind of puzzle.

I hope I remember where that is. I probably forgot lmao

It's basically at the start of the dog area - go left from the main hub with the flame statues, climb up until you're above the egg area, and then head left a few screens.

Oct 26, 2017
That's what a puzzle is! For example, figuring out how to get to the quantum room is a puzzle - you need to understand the mechanics of the moon, and then apply it to your approach and your spaceship.

Puzzles aren't just use item to remove bush or push block into the right place. I'd argue that what you call "not a puzzle" is actually the best kind of puzzle.
IMO the "puzzles" here are lacking in "Aha!" moments....because you learn how to do something, then do it. It never feels like a puzzle, just an exam?

The best puzzles games
  1. Teach you
  2. Test you
  3. Challenge you
Your outer wilds example is actually good example of stage 3.
Anyone else reading this, please do not click below.
  1. The game teaches you how the quantum teleporting works
  2. The game gives you opportunities to test your theory
  3. The player tries to land on the moon
    1. "Ah wait what why didnt that work"
    2. "Oh the fog, I cant see the moon when I get too close"
    3. "Wait, AHA what if my ships camera drone takes pictures"
The way Animal well tries to challenge you is simply "now do the thing fast!"

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Are there any postgame guides yet? I'm wandering all over the place and am not finding new stuff yet so I'm missing a lot.

I did get the
ball
though.