Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I just got the remote, and boy that's an interesting shortcut.

Something I find incredible is that according to steam, 100% of the players have found at least 32 secret eggs? Most games don't have 100% of players making it past the fucking 1st round. I need to look into this, because it feels absolutely nuts

Also I have never hated fucking ostriches more in my entire life

Last edited:

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
3 eggs left… where the f are they…. Going a little mad but I still haven't resorted to a guide. Resolve is definitely cracking

Also managed to stumble into 2 bunnies…

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
I want to play Animal Well but the game is almost illegable on my big pc monitor. Even sitting far back there's something about it where everything looks too big, like it almost makes me cross eyed. Looks better in windowed mode but I can't play that way lol. Hopefully the steam deck can do it justice....

Jan 13, 2022
Up to 53 eggs. Got every tool. Just 3 rabbits though.

I can't stop thinking about this game every moment I'm not playing it haha. It's just such an incredible vibe. Can't wait for the inevitable overly long lore video that makes a lot of leaps but is fun as hell to watch.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I love this game on many levels but I'm somewhere near the end and getting around the massive map to explore question marks etc. is turning into a frustrating waste of time. I had gotten a new item and instead of feeling psyched, I just groaned because I have no idea which like two specific, tiny areas of the convoluted and difficult to navigate map I need to try this in.

I just spent an hour making zero progress and just shut the system down pissed off.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
At last, all eggs… I think I'm gonna call it here though and start peeking the spoils on the deeper layers

What a fun game

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
The level of intelligence that Billy Basso must have is ridiculous, now when I contemplate a bit... a completely custom engine with amazing pixel art and dynamic lighting/physics, a world map that's extremely well-designed and clever, and a depth to the game that many bigger-budget ones would only dream of.

To say I'm jealous is an understatement.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
The level of intelligence that Billy Basso must have is ridiculous, now when I contemplate a bit... a completely custom engine with amazing pixel art and dynamic lighting/physics, a world map that's extremely well-designed and clever, and a depth to the game that many bigger-budget ones would only dream of.

The game being <40MB but so dense and filled with secrets and things is really cool. Love those super fast download speeds

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, its exceedingly clever. Has he published anything before?

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
i'm probably going to wrap up getting the eggs tonight but i've been thinking that layer 2 is less a good design choice and just weird. they lock like half of the items, which are more interesting than layer 1 items, but even then they're barely used? wouldn't it have been more enjoyable to get those items during the main run?

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else having a hard time playing this for very long on a TV?

I'm having a great time so far, but both with scanlines on and off there's something about the look of the game that makes me feel a bit cross-eyed after playing it for a while. I might have to spring for it on Steam instead of PS5 just so I can play it on the Deck with a denser screen, it's very odd--not an experience I've ever really had with a game before. It's gorgeous to look at but I just can't stick with it for long sessions.

Scarlett

Dec 5, 2020
I love this game on many levels but I'm somewhere near the end and getting around the massive map to explore question marks etc. is turning into a frustrating waste of time. I had gotten a new item and instead of feeling psyched, I just groaned because I have no idea which like two specific, tiny areas of the convoluted and difficult to navigate map I need to try this in.

I just spent an hour making zero progress and just shut the system down pissed off.

I relate.

beezer

Nov 5, 2017
Around 50 eggs, 3 bunnies, collected all three drops from Kangaroo, freed all cats and opened one circular something . I mapped one of them that is glowing blue - I can't yet interact with it and don't remember where are the other basic ones, lol. From Layer 2 items I only have remote for now

In 13 hours everything for me was pretty findable and doable without guides, not sure how much more can I manage by myself, but still have lots of unfinished places

Also, often I see some plates with obvious symbols or dots, etcetera. Should I mark them on the map for the future?

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
About the Red Flame. Please don't tell me that I'm going to have to carry the mock disk all the way from the bottom of the map to the shrine beside where the flame is, because that is going to be a ridiculous challenge lol

Oct 25, 2017

Are you aware of the flute melody that
teleports you to the fast travel hub?

I've found traversing the map to be fairly easy most of the time and I'm very sensitive to that kind of tedium.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
As someone who doesn't really play a lot of Metroidvanias I found the game to be just okay. I appreciate the length because the back tracking was killing me towards the end. I think if the areas were better laid out with the items you acquired I wouldn't be so down on it.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Are you aware of the flute melody that
teleports you to the fast travel hub?

I've found traversing the map to be fairly easy most of the time and I'm very sensitive to that kind of tedium.
No and I've been thorough as hell. I keep notes, mark everything on the map, triple check every room. I get super OCD about these kinds of games.

Honestly, I'm kind of over it right now because of that. The only thing I wanna do with any more Uber Secrets is shove em up that Iguana boss' ass lol.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
No and I've been thorough as hell. I keep notes, mark everything on the map, triple check every room. I get super OCD about these kinds of games.

Honestly, I'm kind of over it right now because of that. The only thing I wanna do with any more Uber Secrets is shove em up that Iguana boss' ass lol.
That is one of the least-secret tools in the game.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

You can find it in the room with the animal heads. It's pretty easy to find tbh. Iirc I found it before I got the second flame.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017

Alas, I'm afraid this is where I'm landing as well (though I'm earlier on).

Beautiful game and if you're into this type of thing, this game has it in spades. But with increasingly little gaming time, I find it less and less enjoyable banging my head against the wall and wandering aimlessly while I figure out where to go next. It's a great game, just maybe not one for me.

ojbd

Jul 18, 2018
True ending after 13.5 hours, what a fantastic game.

Had to look up the rabbits, and I don't feel bad for doing so because they are in fact intended to be done by the community and there is no shame in searching them up. Got some of them, saw that some are just annoying to get so I decided to skip them and just look up what the ultimate secret is (it's pretty nice, not gonna spoil it).

I feel kinda awesome that I only had to look up 8 of the eggs and managed to get the rest on my own, this game does an incredible job in making you learn the environment.

I honestly want a sequel to this, because a lot of the ideas here barely get explored and I feel like there is so much more you can do with this formula. Hopefully the game is successful enough, and, more importantly, the creator wants to do more of this.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I finished the second ending with all 65 eggs and it only confirmed to me this is one of the best puzzle platformers of all-time.

One of my favorite parts of the game is going to the area with the dead fish and jellyfish, especially after you get the UV light.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
58 eggs...so close to victory...

I got spoiled on some items, but I'm not sure where they're located. Would anyone mind giving just some directional hints? (I think these are late-game items, so spoilers obv):
I'm missing:
Wheel
Bouncy Ball
And I have three rows for items but getting those two would only fill up 3/4 of the row...so maybe there's one more?

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
i rolled credits on this game when i woke up this morning. felt good clearing the game without any hints (i know i posted in a moment of weakness but nobody actually knew how to answer my question and then i figured it out on my own 10 minutes later lmao)

the vibes/general aesthetic are exactly my kind of speed. one of my favorite gaming experiences of the last few years

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who could give me a vague hint on the
otters near the frog flame. They are too fast for the slink to hit both buttons so i guess there's something else to do or maybe i'm missing an item? I'm just not seeing it, i guess.
. Thanks.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who could give me a vague hint on the
otters near the frog flame. They are too fast for the slink to hit both buttons so i guess there's something else to do or maybe i'm missing an item? I'm just not seeing it, i guess.
. Thanks.
What item distracts and scares animals?

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I love the game, but after playing for a couple of hours off and on I keep opening new areas, finding some cool thing, figuring out what I need to move on... and then dying on my way back before I can save my progress. Then I just turn it off.

NoseyPepper

Oct 29, 2017
58 eggs...so close to victory...

I got spoiled on some items, but I'm not sure where they're located. Would anyone mind giving just some directional hints? (I think these are late-game items, so spoilers obv):
I'm missing:
Wheel
Bouncy Ball
And I have three rows for items but getting those two would only fill up 3/4 of the row...so maybe there's one more?
For your first missing item, the starting point is on the southeast side of the map. As a general tip, look for environmental clues or things that may stick out prominently in the background. Never hurts to experiment with new toys.
For your third question, do you already have the bottom-rightmost item on the third row? You'll need it to find the second item organically.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
For your first missing item, the starting point is on the southeast side of the map. As a general tip, look for environmental clues or things that may stick out prominently in the background. Never hurts to experiment with new toys.
For your third question, do you already have the bottom-rightmost item on the third row? You'll need it to find the second item organically.

Thanks very much for the help, that's the perfect kind of directional clue for me. For the third question, I have 9 items right now, and the first row is firecrackers/flute/light/top, second row is disc/wand/yoyo/slink, and the third row is just the remote on the left side. or do you mean the one of the medals? I just picked up another one, the E medal I think.

r_rose

Mar 1, 2022
I got to the credits and weirdly I don't feel like going for any of the deeper stuff. I found the method to fast travel back to the animal heads but I still find traversing the map to be slightly too slow and not very fun. I imagine there's secrets that alleviate this, but because they weren't obvious to me the thought of poking around for eggs and other things is not appealing to me at all.

Can somebody spoiler if and how traversal becomes less of an issue?

NoseyPepper

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks very much for the help, that's the perfect kind of directional clue for me. For the third question, I have 9 items right now, and the first row is firecrackers/flute/light/top, second row is disc/wand/yoyo/slink, and the third row is just the remote on the left side. or do you mean the one of the medals? I just picked up another one, the E medal I think.
There's one last item, and the E. medal sets you up to find it. Personally, I would try to obtain this one first before the other two. All your remaining items have more involved and somewhat obtuse methods of discovery since they're really for more egg hunting or secrets.