• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Oooh I forgot to mention, tis time for torture princess is legit. It only has like five jokes but they hit every time. Just... Maybe space them out a bit

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Unnamed Memory - 2

It's pretty funny/interesting that this show had the heroine do the same plot point from Frieren of intentionally releasing an old evil because she might as well kill it

In fact I was surprised Tinasha had 100% of the action focus here. The cut where she fought the wolf actually looked impressive.

Oblivion Battery - 2

Better than the premiere, though Kaname is still a bit much but at least Mamoru Miyano is still giving this 110%.

Maybe the whole team will balance this out more.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Another great comparison to level 2 super powers is a fluffy light version of My Instant Death ability is so Overpowered, No one in this Other World Stands a Chance Against Me!

Instead of everything ending in murder it usually ends peacefully, and with people hooking up. Same comedic sensibilities though.
Eh Lvl 2 has more heart and humor tho. Especially the anime version of instant death kept things too brief

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Yuru Camp S2 9
GRANDPA'S SO NIIIIIIIIIIICE 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Yuru Camp S2 10
I love that trolling runs in Aoi's family.

Last edited:

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
Unnamed Memory - 2
well this is not all sun shines and rainbows huh...she seems a lil busted to be out in the world
was saying i wish this show had better overall animation since it looks pretty eh at times but suddenly it had some pretty nice cuts for action gotta cut the corners at some point.

One Room 3

this has entered trash tier harem shenanigans but i'm all for it now that i know what it is as much as i wished it was just next door angel

didn't know we were going this way with the other girls izumi being voiced by Oonishi Saori was not on my bingo card

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Golden Kamuy 13-18
WTFFFFFF @ the taxidermy scene, hoooooly shit lmfaoooo. It feels like every new antagonist is trying to out-crazy the last one.

I feel like I should hate Ogata but I love his voice too much to hate him. Nikaidou on the other hand needs to die already, dudes a goddamn cockroach. The hospital scene slayed me, especially when Tsurumi pushed this dude 🤣. Completely washed away the tension from the mine and house fire scenes.

Not sure why the show is getting even funnier but I am not complaining.
New ED theme is hot ASS, the buildup is fine when it plays at the end of the episode, but it falls apart when the dude starts singing.

5LYzTBVoS196gvYvw3zjwMT9wGatvX3KS_Jn-1dBU8g

Yup, I still love Shiraishi.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Welcome to Japan Ms Elf PV dropped

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dkLQ1wFeA4&ab_channel=%E6%9D%B1%E6%98%A0%E3%83%93%E3%83%87%E3%82%AA

as maybe the only fan of this on here (on the internet?) i am so happy this looks decent. I love the manga so much and it looks like it's sticking to those designs

I mostly enjoyed the first volume of the LN so I bought the entire set during a sale and I have a lot to say about the series.

Apologize in advance for people loving the series but I've been meaning to rant about this for a while
The protagonist's narration just got on my nerve the more I read it. The dude couldn't go two sentences without mentioning something about men this women that ("women be shopping and don't understand adventuring", etc.). The writing reeks of someone in his 40s who is probably a "loving husband" but always complain about his wife when he's drunk with friends.
Manga and anime will probably be better though just by the nature of not having as much narration as the LN but even so it won't change how terrible it is at handling some of the subjects.

At the beginning they were being kinda vague about it and her design looks grown up enough but there are comments from people around him like "isn't she a bit too young for you?" (dude is 25 or something) and the novel later became more specific that she looks like she's a middle schooler or early high schooler at most. There's even a scene where his acquaintance went "I'm a government official so please don't confirm the relationship between the two of you to me" so the author definitely knows what he's doing and still kept doing it even after he gave himself a chance to change that.
Elfs physical appearance change with their mental age and Marie seems like she was changing, for a time, but they just kinda dropped that and kept Marie looking like a middle schooler so now it's even worse because that means the dude is into a 15 yo girl, physically and mentally. Well, the protagonist also looks 15 in the fantasy world and I guess the author just don't want the elf to look older than the protagonist or something.

The beginning was nice and chill enough with "Chapter of Elf" "Chapter of Dragon" and then BOOM "Chapter of Slavery" out of nowhere and the author obviously weren't equipped to handle the subject so everything went downhill from there.

And could everyone shut up about how "sleepy" the protagonist looks? It's fine the first few times but it becomes fucking annoying when every single character said that no matter if they're friendly allies or super serious enemies and no matter the situation. I don't know why the author felt the need to keep having characters repeating that. It's just so forced.

I feel like I ended up hate reading half of the series.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ranger Reject 1-2

Ah shit, I'm already hooked. Premise is pretty interesting, totally can't help but root for D when these so-called superheroes are just total assholes. Also helps that the show is oozing with style, I see now why people were excited for this to get adapted.

I figured the girl in yellow would eventually find out his identity given how perceptive she came across, but I didn't expect it to happen that quickly. But more interesting is the fact that she's cool with it and even wants to help him?! Wonder what her motivations are...

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018
Yeah the Look Back PV was amazing. The character designs are so good too.
I appreciate haruka nakamura being part of this anime. I really enjoyed his Trigun Stampede EDs with salyu.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Ranger Reject 1-2

Ah shit, I'm already hooked. Premise is pretty interesting, totally can't help but root for D when these so-called superheroes are just total assholes. Also helps that the show is oozing with style, I see now why people were excited for this to get adapted.

I figured the girl in yellow would eventually find out his identity given how perceptive she came across, but I didn't expect it to happen that quickly. But more interesting is the fact that she's cool with it and even wants to help him?! Wonder what her motivations are...
It's The Boys as an anime and I am absolutely here for it

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly enjoyed the first volume of the LN so I bought the entire set during a sale and I have a lot to say about the series.

Apologize in advance for people loving the series but I've been meaning to rant about this for a while
The protagonist's narration just got on my nerve the more I read it. The dude couldn't go two sentences without mentioning something about men this women that ("women be shopping and don't understand adventuring", etc.). The writing reeks of someone in his 40s who is probably a "loving husband" but always complain about his wife when he's drunk with friends.
Manga and anime will probably be better though just by the nature of not having as much narration as the LN but even so it won't change how terrible it is at handling some of the subjects.

At the beginning they were being kinda vague about it and her design looks grown up enough but there are comments from people around him like "isn't she a bit too young for you?" (dude is 25 or something) and the novel later became more specific that she looks like she's a middle schooler or early high schooler at most. There's even a scene where his acquaintance went "I'm a government official so please don't confirm the relationship between the two of you to me" so the author definitely knows what he's doing and still kept doing it even after he gave himself a chance to change that.
Elfs physical appearance change with their mental age and Marie seems like she was changing, for a time, but they just kinda dropped that and kept Marie looking like a middle schooler so now it's even worse because that means the dude is into a 15 yo girl, physically and mentally. Well, the protagonist also looks 15 in the fantasy world and I guess the author just don't want the elf to look older than the protagonist or something.

The beginning was nice and chill enough with "Chapter of Elf" "Chapter of Dragon" and then BOOM "Chapter of Slavery" out of nowhere and the author obviously weren't equipped to handle the subject so everything went downhill from there.

And could everyone shut up about how "sleepy" the protagonist looks? It's fine the first few times but it becomes fucking annoying when every single character said that no matter if they're friendly allies or super serious enemies and no matter the situation. I don't know why the author felt the need to keep having characters repeating that. It's just so forced.

I feel like I ended up hate reading half of the series.

Yeah, I got the first two or three english LN and the actual writing kind of sucked ass. Absolutely reeked of web novel. The manga made it a lot more tolerable because you don't get inside the dude's head at all.

Manga is only up to like, uh, TDL i guess so I have no idea how it goes from there, but it seems okay. My main complaint is that it's wildly imbalanced towards stuff in the fantasy world to the extent where you have whole chapters in there and they like pop out to go to the supermarket and come back and then you're back to dungeon crawling. It's not that bad per say but it's not really where my interest lies.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Just dropping in to say that The Witch and the Beast deserved more. I've been reading the manga and its incredible. Peak aesthetics with a world that keeps surprising me. The arc that starts off immediately after the anime ended is so up my alley. The writing isn't super deep or anything but damn does it wrap up interesting world building with some amazing moody and sensual artwork. Really effective use of action sequences too. The mangaka comes up with so many excuses to dress the characters up in incredibly intricate and fashionable outfits that it even becomes a running joke in the manga lol.

I'm hoping a second season gets picked up by either a different studio or they at least try to put more of an effort on the production. The first season wasn't terrible or anything but the gulf with the manga is vast. I have no idea how successful it was at selling volumes but it got me.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Feels like I'm only watching shows about music this season lol.

Jellyfish and Girls Band Cry (are we seriously not getting this in English properly?) are more similar than I thought that I got kinda confused for a bit during the second episode not sure which is from which show. Both show have an assertive blonde ex-artist trying to make it as an independent artist and the first episode ended with the main duo hijacking a street live of other performers.

Anyway both are pretty good ( though that Jellyfish's chest shot went on way to long and completely out of place for a show that otherwise would be pretty easy to recommend to family members and friends).

GBC 1-2
I'm glad that this show goes for a pretty unique style for the 3D and I love how expressive the characters are. No choppy framerate to emulate 2D animation either. Interesting that the main protagonist doesn't even want to be a musician and just left her home to escape there and do something (it's not a mystery, she also doesn't know what she wants to do yet) so it's different from the usual chasing the dream storyline of this kind of anime.

Jellyfish 1-2

So, this is more modern/subculture band (like Supercell or Project Sekai's 25. Not sure what it's actually called) than GBC's standard band stuff and we don't really get this in anime that much so it's pretty fresh.

Though two episodes in and I'm starting to give up on Jellyfish being actual yuri now.

Shinymas - 1-2 (+Million Live)

Just finished Million Live before starting Shinymas. My main complaints of Million Live is that the show look downright ugly at times (mostly from shit background) and the Producer looking like Genshin's NPC and also doesn't do much, which is kinda disappointing after both Cinderella Girls Producers being such great characters that I'm more interested in them just as much as the idols. This time Producer's just a basic self-inserted. The idols also look relatively basic.
The performances of the last 2 episodes look amazing though. Probably some of the best looking 3D performances I've seen in anime.

Shinymas started off looking generally better with properly drawn backgrounds and the Producer at least has some design (still not that much personality though). Bonus point for casting Tsuda Kenjiro as the president. He's perfect for the role. Also, we have a movie director who's not a dick for once.

I've played Shinymas gacha for a bit so I'm more familiar with the characters than those in Million Live so I maybe biased but the characters here are way more distinct and recognizable.
Kinda bold of them to not have Fuyuko and Madoka in the first season though. They're confirmed for the next one but I thought they'd want to have them for as long as they can considering how popular they are.

Whispering Me a Love Song - 1

I already read manga so I know that I'm gonna like this. My only concern was the studio making this. I think this was announced when the previous show of this studio, the Iceblade Sorcerer, was still airing and that show looks like shit (it was kinda charming though). One of the strongest points of the series is the art so I was super worried that they're gonna butchered it so I'm pleasantly surprised that it actually look pretty decent. It's not a headturner by any means but it's such a huge upgrade from their previous work and I'm fine with how it looks (though I think it'd be better if it looks more bright, I guess? I don't know how to explain it but the show looks kinda "dim").

Now that I think about it, another concern is probably how far are they adapting this. I feel like it's either gonna be too rush or it'll just end in an awkward place due to how long the big arc is.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
From The New World 9
I was close. A Karmic demon then.

From The New World 10
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Arcticfox

Oct 27, 2017
I've read Welcome to Japan through the J Novel Club subscription. It was my go to relaxing evening read for a while and I am looking forward to the adaptation. Its at its best when Wridra is around messing with the couple.

Talking about J Novel Club, I forgot I read 2nd level through that as well. I was really confused at how I seemed to recognize everything and actually backed out to make sure I wasn't rewatching an old show. I am looking forward to watching the adventures of the coward hero.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Voice Actor Radio 02
I'm with Yu, I didn't know that butcher shops sell croquettes.
Characters look off-model at times.

"Let's start over."
I can guarantee that they'll be at each others throats next episode lol. Next episode preview looks pretty gay

Bartender 03
This show is so weird. It's so slow paced but somehow the episodes just fly by for me. I gotta check out the OG series sometime, this show is alright.

Nice to see that Sasakura isn't perfect, tho if I'm being honest, I agree with his philosophy of pleasing the customer more than making the perfect drink. I wonder if they've got an arc cooking up with that newbie bartender girl

Sand Land 08
*Belz gets shot in the head*
Ann: It was just a misunderstanding.
It's a good thing that Belz is a demon otherwise someone's brains would be on the floor from a misunderstanding lol

Really weird cut to the ending.

Golden Kamuy 19-20
Nevermind, Ogata's gotta go, jeeeeeesus.

The Sumo scene, holy shit 🤣🤣🤣
"Sumo" huh
squidward-tentacles.gif

What the hell was that image of Nihei when Tanigaki was about to smash? They should've had him whisper "boner".

"Did you kill my father?" Damn, Asirpa wasted no time.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Viral Hit 2
Seeing the chicken mask fight teacher with Gintokis VA speaking "foreigner" accent japanese threw me for a moment, lmao

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
It wasn't good. Just 23 minutes of frustration. Keep thinking Ghost Game did a much better mushroom horror episode.
Ah ok. See, I have no idea what you were talking about - Google says that it's a Digimon series? I don't know.

Anyway, I enjoyed the episode - the story remains engaging (to me) and the animation quality is top-notch. But yeah, just didn't know how to react to your post after watching it.

-

More broadly for this OT, as it's my first time interacting with it, I've found it to be kindof gatekeepy when it comes to discussions, for example, if someone says "Gaton Gaton Ep.3" then some review, a newbie here would have zero clue as to what is being discussed without watching every single anime and finally understanding that this is a reference to an Opening theme of one of the animes - again for "Grandpa/Grandma Ep.X"; unless I'm reading the synopsis for every anime, it's not necessarily immediately clear as to which anime is being discussed.

Therefore, it would super helpful if people were clear as to what is being discussed, with the full title and episode number shown before delving into said episodes contents. I think it would make for a better reading experience for everyone involved, and for new people coming in later, too!

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Uma Musume Season 2 finished.
I had to delay it a little due to needing to rush through Summer Time Rendering, but it is done, and it was great!
I take back my original impressions, this was the superior season. Yes, the racing was unfortunately mostly CG throughout, but the story and emotional highlights were much better than S1. I like that the trainer was changed from a joke character to more of an emotional support. I am kinda sad that Special Week just became a comic relief background character though.
Also, as for Teio herself, while I found her voice quite irritating in S1, they added a new - much much more annoying - character in season 2 Twin Turbo who changed the baseline so Teio is fine now.

I have ... questions ... about the timeline of this series though. This is a school right? How many years have passed since S1? We've been through multiple annual races already, do these horse girls just live at the school? The races don't seem to be sponsored or make money as far as I can tell, nor does there seem to be any gambling present, I'm not sure how this whole system functions.
At the end of season 2 it's shown the child horse girls had grown into teenagers and were now attending, Teio and McQueen were still there - dressed in uniform - and looked no different. I assume the student (?) president is still around too. I'm so confused.
More broadly for this OT, as it's my first time interacting with it, I've found it to be kindof gatekeepy when it comes to discussions, for example, if someone says "Gaton Gaton Ep.3" then some review, a newbie here would have zero clue as to what is being discussed without watching every single anime and finally understanding that this is a reference to an Opening theme of one of the animes - again for "Grandpa/Grandma Ep.X"; unless I'm reading the synopsis for every anime, it's not necessarily immediately clear as to which anime is being discussed.

Therefore, it would super helpful if people were clear as to what is being discussed, with the full title and episode number shown before delving into said episodes contents. I think it would make for a better reading experience for everyone involved, and for new people coming in later, too!
I'm not sure I would call it gatekeeping, it's just a very casual OT with a kinda small community of familiar avatars. I think forcing full titles and episode numbers would kinda stifle the conversational nature of the thread. Sure, sometimes I'm not entirely sure which show people are referring to at first, but it's not a huge deal. The standouts of the season will make themselves clear eventually.
That said, when I first started reading this thread I distinctly remember seeing reviews of a show only referred to as "Naked Olympics".... I still have no idea what that show was lol.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Ah ok. See, I have no idea what you were talking about - Google says that it's a Digimon series? I don't know.

Anyway, I enjoyed the episode - the story remains engaging (to me) and the animation quality is top-notch. But yeah, just didn't know how to react to your post after watching it.
In this instance its because I was extremely depressed this week and didn't feel like elaborating on what exactly was wrong with the episode. But the majority of the time that I give a one word review it's because I've seen other people here enjoying said episode and I don't want to yuck on their yum.

As to this, this might take more effort for people here to do. I don't know if you've noticed yet but 1) Anime tend to have very long titles and 2) everyone here watches quite a lot of it. So as a matter of convenience, instead of typing "7th time loop: the villainess enjoys a carefree life married to her worst enemy" we would shorten it to 7th time loop. Most of the time you can google just these shortened titles and the search engine will know what you're talking about.

There's a user here who uses nonsense titles for all the shows they watch but honestly I don't even know what they're talking about half the time so I don't bother to read the reviews (no offence intended).

But yeah, I'll try to make an effort but again, this might be a harder habit to break than you think.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I'm not sure I would call it gatekeeping, it's just a very casual OT with a kinda small community of familiar avatars. I think forcing full titles and episode numbers would kinda stifle the conversational nature of the thread. Sure, sometimes I'm not entirely sure which show people are referring to at first, but it's not a huge deal. The standouts of the season will make themselves clear eventually.
That said, when I first started reading this thread I distinctly remember seeing reviews of a show only referred to as "Naked Olympics".... I still have no idea what that show was lol.
Naked Olympics is a good one; another in this thread was "Chained Fetish" and, like you, have no idea what that anime is referring to.

And yeah, maybe gatekeeping isn't the right word, but it's hard to jump into a conversation if I'm/someone isn't sure they're even talking about the same anime.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
In this instance its because I was extremely depressed this week and didn't feel like elaborating on what exactly was wrong with the episode. But the majority of the time that I give a one word review it's because I've seen other people here enjoying said episode and I don't want to yuck on their yum.

As to this, this might take more effort for people here to do. I don't know if you've noticed yet but 1) Anime tend to have very long titles and 2) everyone here watches quite a lot of it. So as a matter of convenience, instead of typing "7th time loop: the villainess enjoys a carefree life married to her worst enemy" we would shorten it to 7th time loop. Most of the time you can google just these shortened titles and the search engine will know what you're talking about.

There's a user here who uses nonsense titles for all the shows they watch but honestly I don't even know what they're talking about half the time so I don't bother to read the reviews (no offence intended).

But yeah, I'll try to make an effort but again, this might be a harder habit to break than you think.
I appreciate the response and it wasn't directed at you solely - it's all good 💖 The long titles can be a pain for sure; I wonder if the OT in future seasons (Summer/Autumn etc.) can have pre-agreed shortened titles? Just thinking out loud, feel free to tell me if it's a dumb idea; just in regards to certain titles (like the Train or Sentai anime) I've seen them translated several different ways so it isn't always immediately clear, hence one of the reasons why I brought it up!

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
just do what i do: if you care enough to be interested, ask

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Just dropping in to say that The Witch and the Beast deserved more. I've been reading the manga and its incredible. Peak aesthetics with a world that keeps surprising me. The arc that starts off immediately after the anime ended is so up my alley. The writing isn't super deep or anything but damn does it wrap up interesting world building with some amazing moody and sensual artwork. Really effective use of action sequences too. The mangaka comes up with so many excuses to dress the characters up in incredibly intricate and fashionable outfits that it even becomes a running joke in the manga lol.

I'm hoping a second season gets picked up by either a different studio or they at least try to put more of an effort on the production. The first season wasn't terrible or anything but the gulf with the manga is vast. I have no idea how successful it was at selling volumes but it got me.

Yep this was super disappointing to me, the manga is all about it's aesthetic and anime straight up fell flat on that front. Once I saw how flat they made the magic I knew we were in for some shit. Felt so disappointed in what we got in the helga arc because of it. Page for page adaptation without doing any of the work to bring it all together.

Hope they find the right people if there is a second season, the next arc is great with it's high gothic/bloodborne vibes. Guideau and Ashaf dressing up to suit.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Konosuba S3 - 2

Man the VAs for this show are fantastic

Voice Actor Radio - 2

When that concert at the end happened I expected the show to go for the "breakout performance" plot where the two mismatched leads find themselves getting super popular thanks to an unlikely coincidence, but no the show was pretty honest about the fact that the fans would be disappointed at not seeing the most popular act

Mysterious Disappearances - 2

Look show, if you want to be cheesecakey with these shots fine, but you should know that all these body panning shots kinda slow the pace

Bartender - 3

Didn't expect Sasakura to "lose" in this show

Viral Hit - 2

Man everyone's kinda pathetic in this show huh

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

FWIW I've noticed this too, and while I'm fine with it, I personally have tried to stick relatively closely to the anime titles because I have occasionally found it difficult to figure out what's being talked about (I trust, for example, that if I say "Gus Van Sant's Spice and Wolf," it's clear what show I'm talking about even if you have no idea who Gus Van Sant is or why I'm taking about him).

I think a certain amount of this kind of thing is inevitable, though; coming up with cute/funny ways to reframe the title of a show becomes a form of commentary on its own.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I know I've been here a long time (obligatory monocle reference) but I've always found these threads pretty profoundly open in that you can post about pretty much whatever and if it's interesting or people have opinions you'll get responses. It might be worth reiterating it in the op or something though because we always always get questions like 'is it okay for me to post about anime from 20xx" presumably because we relaunch the threads seasonally

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I know I've been here a long time (obligatory monocle reference) but I've always found these threads pretty profoundly open in that you can post about pretty much whatever and if it's interesting or people have opinions you'll get responses. It might be worth reiterating it in the op or something though because we always always get questions like 'is it okay for me to post about anime from 20xx" presumably because we relaunch the threads seasonally
Is it OK for me to post about anime from 19xx tho?

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

This definitely could be said more because it's one of my favourite things about these OTs as a relative newcomer discovering shows that I'm sure are old hat to most of the people here!