• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Episodes 1 - 50

Before watching this I was really excited because it seemed like such a love it or hate it show. So I thought it must be very bold and exciting to be so divisive. Even if I hated it I thought it would at least be interesting. To my surprise I was actually kinda bored for a lot of it.
The plot is fine. It's functional and works within its own logic. It's basically retelling the original series so it better be. There's nothing I found super compelling but there's also nothing wrong with it.

Character-wise, I found Kira a little bland and I got the impression that the writers were afraid to make him too overtly flawed. But what makes a character is their relationship to others and unfortunately this is a weak point for the cast. The relationship between Atrhun and Kira has a lot of dramatic potential as you can see in something like Lelouch and Suzaku in Code Geass, but I felt it was unrealized. I think it's because you don't really see much of their friendship before they become enemies so it doesn't hit as hard. Cagalli and Lacus also feel like characters with a lot of potential and I liked them when they first appeared but again I can't help but feel like their characters are mostly there to serve Kira and I felt like they never got enough of their own stuff. Kira's early friend group pretty forgettable and the rest of the cast were just kinda there. It really needed more of those down-to-earth these characters are just hanging out moments to humanize them more, like when Cagalli and Kira were getting kebabs. I never loved any of these characters but I also never really hated them either.

Thematically I'm also a little mixed. I feel that coordinators are an awkward replacement for newtypes. In the original series newtypes represented a new way of thinking and theoretically anyone could be one even if it was incredibly rare. Coordinators are a eugenicists wetdream and you either are or you aren't. That's not a bad concept for a sci-fi story but SEED glosses over many of its implications. Having a society revolve around genetically manufactured population asks questions of privilege, elitism, or nature vs nurture. Questions SEED doesn't even pretend to care about and ultimately only uses for a very basic and simplistic discrimination theme which is used to fuel a very basic and simplistic theme on how hatred fuels war. SEED attemps a more centrist "both sides are bad" approach to the conflict in contrast to the original series where Zeon were absolutely the villains in the series, but ironically I found the original more nuanced in how it had good people support an evil cause while the Federation was awash in corrupt and self-serving people. That said, even if it doesn't have as much substance as I'd like, it's still a anti-war and anti-discrimination series aimed at children and we can never have too many of those.

I'm kinda surprised that this series is so divisive and garnered so much hatred. It's a competently made show, if anything I don't think it's interesting enough to earn so much ire. I kind've wished it was worse at times because then it would've been more interesting to me. But as it was, I had a decent time watching it. I'll probably eventually watch Destiny but I want to go back and finish some other stuff first. I'll probably do the 0080 OVA next which I've heard good things about.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
They just did the character designs, which is really confusing given how it's being billed as "from WIT Studio and CLAMP."
Does CLAMP really do anything that isn't just character design anymore? I'm blanking on anything they've done in a long time aside from sequels to some of their properties. Even then I think they are mostly credited as like character designer for code geass and not creators for the new stuff, so it's really just like the new cardcaptors that they maybe were involved in?

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Does CLAMP really do anything that isn't just character design anymore? I'm blanking on anything they've done in a long time aside from sequels to some of their properties. Even then I think they are mostly credited as like character designer for code geass and not creators for the new stuff, so it's really just like the new cardcaptors that they maybe were involved in?
Nanase Ohkawa was the co-writer for Blood-C and also did series composition for Clear Card.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
image.png

mfw my two favorite anime of the season are girl bands.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I have ... questions ... about the timeline of this series though. This is a school right? How many years have passed since S1? We've been through multiple annual races already, do these horse girls just live at the school? The races don't seem to be sponsored or make money as far as I can tell, nor does there seem to be any gambling present, I'm not sure how this whole system functions.
At the end of season 2 it's shown the child horse girls had grown into teenagers and were now attending, Teio and McQueen were still there - dressed in uniform - and looked no different. I assume the student (?) president is still around too. I'm so confused.
Just don't think about it too much.
The show wants to follow the horses' real careers as much as possible and that means they're gonna keep having these annual races over and over so the story has to take place across years and these horses are from totally different generations and some horses would die even before some were born (some are also parent and child) and it'd be too much for the show to also follow all these. It'd be kinda weird to see these girls die of old age in their 20s or retire even before meeting new characters. It's more interesting to keep them around so we can see them intereact with each other.
The horses also start racing when they are like 2 years old so for all we know the time skip could be just a year or so between them as little kids and them attending school lol.

So these are their "solutions": once they reach a certain age, they just stop aging and live in the school forever. Horse girls don't "retire" they just move on to the "Dream Trophy League" (purely fictional races. They do that once they did all their real life equivalent races). They don't really need money because racing is practically the only thing they want in life and every other necessities are provided by the school and the whole world probably got together to fund the entire industry considering how beloved the sports is in this world (there are probably a lot of sponsors too, they just don't really show them).

Road to the Top next? That's probably the best looking Uma Musume (it's CygamesPictures). Parts of the races are still CG (which is understandable considering how complicated their outfits are) but when it's not, it's glorious.

Last edited:

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
From the New World 11
One episode left, yes? Weird, it doesn't feel like we're reaching any kind of denouement here.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Just don't think about it too much.
The show wants to follow the horses' real careers as much as possible and that means they're gonna keep having these annual races over and over so the story has to take place across years and these horses are from totally different generations and some horses would die even before some were born (some are also parent and child) and it'd be too much for the show to also follow all these. It'd be kinda weird to see these girls die of old age in their 20s or retire even before meeting new characters. It's more interesting to keep them around so we can see them intereact with each other.
The horses also start racing when they are like 2 years old so for all we know the time skip could be just a year or so between them as little kids and them attending school lol.

So these are their "solutions": once they reach a certain age, they just stop aging and live in the school forever. Horse girls don't "retire" they just move on to the "Dream Trophy League" (purely fictional races. They do that once they did all their real life equivalent races). They don't really need money because racing is practically the only thing they want in life and every other necessities are provided by the school and the whole world probably got together to fund the entire industry considering how beloved the sports is in this world (there are probably a lot of sponsors too, they just don't really show them).

Road to the Top next? That's probably the best looking Uma Musume (it's CygamesPictures). Parts of the races are still CG (which is understandable considering how complicated their outfits are) but when it's not, it's glorious.
Ah thanks ok, I didn't think about how horses aging differences might play into this too.
It's unusual for an anime series to have this kind of floating frozen timeline, but whatever, I'll just wipe my mind and enjoy.

Is Road to the Top next? I had S3 lined up to start tonight, should I be watching something else?

From the New World 11
One episode left, yes? Weird, it doesn't feel like we're reaching any kind of denouement here.
Nope, you've got quite a bit to go still.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Ah thanks ok, I didn't think about how horses aging differences might play into this too.
It's unusual for an anime series to have this kind of floating frozen timeline, but whatever, I'll just wipe my mind and enjoy.

Is Road to the Top next? I had S3 lined up to start tonight, should I be watching something else?
Just Road to the Top, it's 4 episodes only, you can watch it whenever you like tho, they have completely new horse girls with different trainers etc

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
From the New World 12
Whilst I get murking the kid that cheated in the game, I don't understand the need to kill kids that aren't so powerful or skilled. Even then, the Education Dept. doesn't seem to do any kind of rehab on anyone. The first option is always death, which seems a bit overkill.

It's two cour. You've got so much left.
Oh no way.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020

Nope, you've got quite a bit to go still.
Following release order then Road to the Top is next but it's pretty much a standalone title by a different studio (it's not even about Team Spica) so you can watch it whenever you want.
Going straight to S3 would probably flow better as the story directly continues from the end of S2 with those 2 horse girls (though taking a break by watching Road to the Top is probably a good alternative if you want to feel a bit of timeskip before jumping into S3).
Also, Road to the Top's visual is insane so that's another reason to save it for later.

Road to the Top is going to be most connected to the movie that's coming out soon (also by CygamesPictures).

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Just Road to the Top, it's 4 episodes only, you can watch it whenever you like tho, they have completely new horse girls with different trainers etc

Following release order then Road to the Top is next but it's pretty much a standalone title by a different studio (it's not even about Team Spica) so you can watch it whenever you want.
Going straight to S3 would probably flow better as the story directly continues from the end of S2 with those 2 horse girls (though taking a break by watching Road to the Top is probably a good alternative if you want to feel a bit of timeskip before jumping into S3).
Also, Road to the Top's visual is insane so that's another reason to save it for later.

Road to the Top is going to be most connected to the movie that's coming out soon (also by CygamesPictures).
Thanks all but, uhhh, where do I watch Road to the Top?
I see mentions it's supposed to be on youtube of all places, but it's not there. I guess it was just temporary?

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Thanks all but, uhhh, where do I watch Road to the Top?
I see mentions it's supposed to be on youtube of all places, but it's not there. I guess it was just temporary?
Oh right, I remember someone mentioned that they're removing Road to the Top from YouTube. I went to my old post with link and it doesn't work now. I think they're going to screen that in Japan or something in preparation for the new movie and I guess that's why they're removing them from YouTube.

You're just a bit over a week late.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Eff, I didn't get around to it either. Will have to cast around...

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
It's really unfortunate they took Road to the Top down. It was such an obvious place to point newcomers to the franchise to, and now that's not really possible.

It would be amazing if a western streaming service actually picks up the movies, but given how niche the franchise is in the west I'm not optimistic that's ever going to happen.

Also yeah, probably best to not think about how time works in the universe, because the more you try to the less it makes sense. Even if you assume the Uma Musume don't age, the human characters should have gotten older by now. Some of the spinoff manga does expand on the world a little bit (for example by showing that there are horse racing academies in Japan other than Tracen, which represent various local horse racing associations in Japan), but that's about it.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Space Patrol Luluco 1-13 END
So, uh, I picked this randomly out of the Crunchyroll front page because I think I liked the thumbnail and because it was really short.

Having watched the whole thing, I kind of feel like I'm not the target audience? Because about halfway through I realized there were references to other Trigger shows, most of which went over my head (I think there's a point where someone says something like "Kill la Kill" and I recognize the witch as coming from Little Witch Academia but that's it). This probably explains one particular episode that was just kind of bad and nonsensical and didn't move the plot along at all.

Aside from that, though, it's pretty fun and there are some great gags (Judgment Gun Morphing will never get old). Very lightweight and throwaway but it feels like that was the intent. Full of energy, reminded me a lot of the more madcap Cartoon Network shows from the old days like the Powerpuff Girls. I guess I should watch some more Trigger shows?

Ah, shame on me - I forgot to thank y'all for the snippits about that Egg show. 🫡

Mysterious Disappearances - 02
I'm sure there is a cool story I want to get lost in under all this... *makes vague gesture* ... but holy fanservice, batman. This is really off putting and so uncalled for.

Black Butler S4 - 01
Wait, when did the first ep drop? o.O
After all this years of waiting - and I don't think I'm digging the new artstyle, even less so this Hogwart's esque school setting. 😭 First half really scared me, I might have to drop this. I'm just glad, they are still on to something in their usual manner to some degree.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I should watch some more Trigger shows?

Normally I'd say meh, but they are currently airing their best show in a long while, an adaptation of the series Delicious in Dungeon, also known as Dungeon Meshi. Granted, it's on Netflix though, not Crunchyroll, but it's been really good so far.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Normally I'd say meh, but they are currently airing their best show in a long while, an adaptation of the series Delicious in Dungeon, also known as Dungeon Meshi. Granted, it's on Netflix though, not Crunchyroll, but it's been really good so far.

Wait, that's Trigger? It was already on my list for the next time I subscribed to Netflix, heh.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna second that one, I hate all Trigger stuff post-TTGL, but Dungeon Meshi is great. Hopefully they do more adaptations from now on instead of solely focusing on their originals.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I thought BNA was a solid fun 7/10. I think it was too short to really live up to its potential though

Blastric2

Jul 5, 2023
I tend to both heavily like and heavily dislike some aspects of shows directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi (co-founder of Trigger)
My quick spoilerfree rundown of Trigger:
A lot of people liked Cyberpunk Edgerunners. I thought it was just fine, (but with a good ending which anime struggle with in general)
I like Kill la Kill, but it is not very deep nor emotionally fulfilling and can get quite meme-y. The female lead is strong which I like, but there are also quite a few, imo, misogynistic aspects. Ymmv
Space Patrol Luluco I agree was very forgettable to me.

If we include the Imaishi shows at Gainax:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is fun I think, and is probably the one show out of all of these that is most fondly remembered
Panty and Stocking was just way too problematic for me to enjoy, even if it could get quite creative

The rest I havent seen
I heard good things about Gridman and Dynazenon and they are on my list
I heard split things about Little Witch Academia (some people think it is boring)

Last edited:

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Laid-Back Camp S3 03
\Yo!/
Nadeshiko says NO camping spoilers!🙅‍♀️🙅‍♀️🙅‍♀️
LOL @ the power lines goof, Aya is great. Idk why I'm so anxious about Nadeshiko getting lost

A Condition Called Love 03
Hotaru, her sisters and mom all look the same. Dad's genes are trash. His reaction when he saw Hananoi, lmaooo, poor guy

"If I ever fall in love..." That wasn't it? Hotaru will have her 3rd kid with Hananoi and still be wondering that at this rate 😂

Wind Breaker 03
Out with the sakuga right out the gate, jesus.

I know this is a yanki show, but they're not even bothering to show the teachers lmfaoo. Who the hell is even supervising the school?
Idk why I laughed so hard at Hiragi taking all those pills.

Salad Bowl 03
"Yup, he just stabbed himself" LMAOOOO
I usually haaaaaate cultist episodes but Livia made it funny as hell.

Now Sara is going to school. This really is just a repeat of Hinamatsuri lol

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I thought BNA was a solid fun 7/10. I think it was too short to really live up to its potential though

I'm here to rant about how stupid the ending was it literally destroyed all my goodwill to the rest of the series, which was considerable

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Wind Breaker - 3

Having your strongest cast member, who has white hair and is kind of a goofball voiced by Gojo's VA is a bit on the nose, show

Sakura's line about feeling weird about touching someone without intending to hit them was oddly sweet

A Condition Called Love - 3

Yeah, I think I'm gonna leave it off here. Not gonna wag my finger at Hananoi's creepy behavior since apparently it's meant to be that way, but I will say that at least from the 3 episodes I've seen the series is trying to have its cake and eat it too since he's still getting exactly what he wants. Honestly, It's just pretty bland. I don't have fun seeing these two together, they never talk about anything interesting and they're both too caught up in making these big declarations to have any interesting dialogue. The lackluster production certainly doesn't help.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

Huh, what a mess. Have been waiting for this to come out forever so that Sayo Yamamoto can move on to something else, but whatever happened here will probably have serious repercussions for her.

Also... I have never been less interested in the anime landscape than now. I've been struggling to find a single show I like every season, and current fads are so fucking uninteresting. It's probably just Train to the End of the World this one.

Last edited:

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
That Yuri on Ice cancellation is fucking depressing

I just finished the series not too long ago too. It's probably just a matter of time until the Zombie Land Saga movie gets canceled as well.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Hard to even muster surprise, but still sad the franchise will never be more than a single cour anime.