Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
You're wrong, but also, watch Stand Alone Complex instead :P
While I can respect what the original Ghost in the Shell movie was going for... djinn is right, it's a pretty bad movie. Still better than the second movie though as innocence dove headfirst into the idea that it should be art and really forgot to be anything else but a series of extremely well done backgrounds with a downright terrible/extremely boring story to connect them.

Stand Alone Complex on the other hand actually takes the setting and tells a good story with it.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Anyone know what happened to the english dub of One punch man season 2? I watched it on crunchyroll a year ago but the dub is nowhere to be found now..

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Ghost in the Shell was mindblowing when first released but aged poorly.

Stand Alone Complex is timeless.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Thats what it felt like to me. I might be misremembering but the romance between them didn't really go anywhere around the end of S2, did it? Reina was in love with Taki sensei and Kumiko was confused about Shuuchi. It's hard to tell with anime as I don't know if these characters were written with complex feelings or just pandering. Not sure how it's in the novels though.

Iirc from memory the novels have a definitive 'end point' relationship-wise that I think gets explored maybe in the latest movie. I think it's complex feelings but the direction (anime) and writing (novels) are just straight-up written as romantic. I'm hesitant to interpret given I haven't seen the latest movie nor read the books in Japanese but it always felt to me like the author wrote her truth and then looked at it, was like 'girls can't marry girls' and then shoved some het shit into it instead.

Anyway, the beauty of fictional works is you can just be like 'i know better than the author here!' and fanon over your own interpretations. Or buy doujin. Or both.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't fond of it either. The story and characters just didn't do much for me.

And while we're harping on some of the classics: the very same applies to Akira. 🤷

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Shows I've watched since I last checked in:

Ping Pong Club: I cannot believe this was dubbed. What a classic.

Gintama S1-2: This show used to bounce off me but I guess I've leveled up my weebness over the years as I catch almost all of the references these days. Extremely good stuff.

Bungo Stray Dogs: Fun dub but a lot of it drags. Whenever they head to the past the story gets much better.

Cross Ange: I liked it even more on the rewatch. Maybe the worst dub I've ever listened to, and I've heard a lot. Really mean spirited show that turns around near the end.

Haikyu: Almost at the end of this. It's boring compared to Slam Dunk.

Slam Dunk: A much better Haikyu despite being nowhere near as good as the manga.

Gundam Build Fighters English Dub: A dub clearly made for SEA, though its actually pretty good besides the main character who speaks way too fast.

Tower of God: What a snoozefest.

Chihiyafuru: Sentai's best dub ever. So good I couldn't help but watch S3 subbed.

Kingdom: Another terrible dub done by largely well known Canadian voice actors. It goes to show you that a show can still be good with terrible animation, an awful dub and poor dialogue if it manages somehow to tell a good story, which Kingdom...does?

Mob Psycho 2: Great. Not much more to say here.

Martian Successor Nadiesco: A classic poking fun at many, many anime tropes.

Gundam 00 S1: What a fun ride. Kind of a mix of Death Note and Gundam Wing. Too bad I'm also watching 00S2...

Fruits Basket S2: An all time great show, an emotional roller coaster from beginning to end.

Oct 25, 2017
Shows I've watched since I last checked in:

Ping Pong Club: I cannot believe this was dubbed. What a classic.

Gintama S1-2: This show used to bounce off me but I guess I've leveled up my weebness over the years as I catch almost all of the references these days. Extremely good stuff.

Bungo Stray Dogs: Fun dub but a lot of it drags. Whenever they head to the past the story gets much better.

Cross Ange: I liked it even more on the rewatch. Maybe the worst dub I've ever listened to, and I've heard a lot. Really mean spirited show that turns around near the end.

Haikyu: Almost at the end of this. It's boring compared to Slam Dunk.

Slam Dunk: A much better Haikyu despite being nowhere near as good as the manga.

Gundam Build Fighters English Dub: A dub clearly made for SEA, though its actually pretty good besides the main character who speaks way too fast.

Tower of God: What a snoozefest.

Chihiyafuru: Sentai's best dub ever. So good I couldn't help but watch S3 subbed.

Kingdom: Another terrible dub done by largely well known Canadian voice actors. It goes to show you that a show can still be good with terrible animation, an awful dub and poor dialogue if it manages somehow to tell a good story, which Kingdom...does?

Mob Psycho 2: Great. Not much more to say here.

Martian Successor Nadiesco: A classic poking fun at many, many anime tropes.

Gundam 00 S1: What a fun ride. Kind of a mix of Death Note and Gundam Wing. Too bad I'm also watching 00S2...

Fruits Basket S2: An all time great show, an emotional roller coaster from beginning to end.
wheres fairy tail

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I still appreciate the first movie, and of course SAC is great, Arise however... :/
That's my position too!
as a mecha guy that's been on my to watch list, worth a watch?
Yeah, Nadiesco is super fun. Iunno if you've tried any SRW, but it's what got me to check the series out and it was well worth it (though their take on Prince of Darkness is better than the actual thing).

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I still like GitS.
I feel like Revue Starlight would have been orders of magnitude better if they had figured out how to intregate all the Daiba Nana stuff in the climax. The end of the show is nowhere near as interesting.
I think it works better where it sits in the narrative because of the differences in ideologies between Nana fine with repeating the past and Hikari (and the rest of the girls) striving for further heights in the theater. I think she could have used a bit more time on screen, but Nana's role and end works.
You should have just stopped at the end of season 1. It's all downhill from there and the movie is somehow even worst than the second season.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
BNA

Well, that was Trigger nuts. I really didn't like Nazuna at first however. I wished they explored her and Michiru's relationship more.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched much anime over the past year, but I've been enjoying Jujutsu Kaisen lately. I can always trust Park to deliver consistently strong action, and thankfully that's matched with a pretty solid show overall here. It's good to have a manga adaptation that's reasonably paced and has material that, unlike something like Fire Force, is worthy of the effort being invested in it. Jujutsu Kaisen has a standard battle shounen premise and setting; however, it's not only elevated by the charisma of the characters and delivery, but also the story itself is unpredictably messy in a way that reminds me a bit of Togashi. Some of that seems born of being a Jump manga desperate to avoid cancellation - the early abrupt escalation and swerve as soon as the main team was gathered
complete with a "one of these people WILL DIE" TV promo style cliffhanger
especially screams that. Yet it's executed with enough confidence and sincerity that it manages to avoid feeling like cheap shock value. Definitely a worthwhile show so far.

While I can respect what the original Ghost in the Shell movie was going for... djinn is right, it's a pretty bad movie. Still better than the second movie though as innocence dove headfirst into the idea that it should be art and really forgot to be anything else but a series of extremely well done backgrounds with a downright terrible/extremely boring story to connect them.

I'm not a fan of Innocence's script, but that looping mansion sequence is something else.

Wasn't fond of it either. The story and characters just didn't do much for me.

And while we're harping on some of the classics: the very same applies to Akira. 🤷

Akira is a high watermark of achievement in Japanese animation. Even when it comes to the highest level of theatrical animation, Akira is a cut above most any other film in terms of the sheer density of high-quality, insanely complicated yet polished animation sequences. Still, as you say, in a certain sense it's simply a blown-up version of the standard schlocky spectacle of 80s/90s OVAs. Without the visual spectacle, it would simply be a cheesy sci-fi B-movie.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
rewatched Girls und Panzer with my gf. She got into it. This was actually just a sneaky way of me wanting to rewatch the movie again but on an actual television this time instead of my PC

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
BNA

Well, that was Trigger nuts. I really didn't like Nazuna at first however. I wished they explored her and Michiru's relationship more.
Amazing show that absolutely botched the landing. I feel like I've never seen a show nosedive that hard in the last 15 minutes of the series.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
you're complaining that a compilation of drawings is trying to be art. sit and think about that for a minute.
I'm complaining that it was so focused to try to be a work of art that it didn't bother doing anything else that makes a movie interesting.

It has beautiful backgrounds and makes kingdom hearts feel like a well put together story in comparison >.>

innocence is so damn boring, and I'll take a movie that looks like crap but has an interesting story over something that is beautiful but is super boring any day.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing show that absolutely botched the landing. I feel like I've never seen a show nosedive that hard in the last 15 minutes of the series.

I dunno about last 15 minutes but I'll never forgive Erased for fucking up its ending despite its incredible start

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Demon Slayer 1-4

I know hype and overrated and all that, but through four episodes this is pretty enjoyable. Beautiful animation.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Revue Starlight Rewatch END
Wakarimasu

The rewatch actually did help me understand more of the lead up to the end and a few of the reasons why the final episode played out the way it did. I don't think I fully grasped the whole "star of sin" bit the first go around. Again, and amazing end to a fantastic show.

The shorts were cute and fun, showing a bit of a softer side to Hikari you didn't really get to see in the show, as well as a few moments where the acting and direction show just how much this show shines. I think the only thing I really wanted out of the blu-ray release is the individual songs for each performance, which carry a large thematic weight to each audition and the feelings of the actor's performances.

Also, this song gets me ever single time:

I AM REBORN

Edit: Looks like I'll be buying the Rondo Rondo Rondo Blu-ray whenever that actually gets released outside of Japan.

Last edited:

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
Sound! Euphonium 1 (Rewatch)

The yuri bait was strong with this one. For some reason I thought the lip bounce scene was in S2. The girl with the bow on her head was even more insufferable this time around and I also got tired of Asuka's fake persona early on. I know she has her reasons for being like that but the shtick got old quickly.

I think you'd struggle to find anyone who watched it and didn't come away with a similar opinion; they practically bask in the implication!

Like a lot of interesting routes presented in anime, it's a false-flag that they wish to explore until it's time to pull the trigger, by which point they jump back and restore the status-quo.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
for sound eupho specifically i don't think they're doing anything the author wasn't doing. the first novel's translation at least has a pretty similar thing where kumiko is constantly thinking about reina at all times and barely has any thought for shuuichi, like, ever

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Its best to think of Eupho as classic yuri bait. Yes Kumiko would rather spend all her time with this hot girl she can't stop thinking about in a sexual way, but she totally wants to be with this guy she can't stand to hang around.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
for sound eupho specifically i don't think they're doing anything the author wasn't doing. the first novel's translation at least has a pretty similar thing where kumiko is constantly thinking about reina at all times and barely has any thought for shuuichi, like, ever

bait is bait, no matter where it comes from

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
rewatched Girls und Panzer with my gf. She got into it. This was actually just a sneaky way of me wanting to rewatch the movie again but on an actual television this time instead of my PC

I like to think im a GUP fan. Then i watch the movie and realise i could only name you about 7 out of roughly 2436 characters. Guess im not a real fan after all.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno about last 15 minutes but I'll never forgive Erased for fucking up its ending despite its incredible start

After watching the anime first and only getting around to reading it this week, it looked like a case of making up an ending since the manga was still running? I prefer the manga ending, which was more satisfying, but I still don't think the anime ending was completely awful. Going to watch the live-action version on Netflix this week (which does have the manga ending) to see how that does.

BosSin

Oct 28, 2017
Out of curiosity, is One Piece any closer to finishing these days? I trailed off that show again a few years ago. (Of course I kinda wanna know if it's the manga that's near finishing, as that will mean anime can get to the end soon)

Last edited:

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
After watching the anime first and only getting around to reading it this week, it looked like a case of making up an ending since the manga was still running? I prefer the manga ending, which was more satisfying, but I still don't think the anime ending was completely awful. Going to watch the live-action version on Netflix this week (which does have the manga ending) to see how that does.
Nah the manga ended already when the anime aired, its more a case of them rushing the material since they only had 11 episodes, so like half the manga is missing, even from the first episodes but at least they had the same main plot, then they reach episode 10 which is about chapter 30 in the manga from like 50 total chapters and they rush the hell out of it with original ending, didn't even adapt the murderer backstory which I thought was one of the best chapters and answers a lot of questions , only hints of it in the OP or ED iirc

Out of curiosity, is One Piece any closer to finishing these days? I trailed off that show again a few years ago. (Of course I kinda wanna know if it's the manga that's near finishing, as that will mean anime can get to the end soon)
The mangaka estimates that the manga wil finish in about 5 years, so it depends if you call this close to finish or not, currently it's in the middle of a very long arc that clearly is not the final arc.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Was Kamisama ni Natta Hi any good? I got to episode 4 and was completely lost for some reason so I dropped it. Just wondering if it ended well.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Was Kamisama ni Natta Hi any good? I got to episode 4 and was completely lost for some reason so I dropped it. Just wondering if it ended well.
Everyone seemed to absolutely hate the final two episodes. Like, I didn't watch the show, but I literally haven't seen a single positive opinion about the end.

EDIT: Maybe it was just reddit? Nice to see at least someone enjoyed it.

Last edited:

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
For me i liked the ending, somehow it didn't involve the usual Maeda BS, but i would say that if you didn't enjoy the 4 episodes, there is really no reason to continue it and you can safely leave it.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
For me i liked the ending, somehow it didn't involve the usual Maeda BS, but i would say that if you didn't enjoy the 4 episodes, there is really no reason to continue it and you can safely leave it.
I enjoyed 1-3, I was just confused at episode 4 and had no idea wtf was going on or who any of the people were.

Granted it was before the OP started but yeah for some reason I felt like I was watching the wrong show.

Status
Not open for further replies.