• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just 1 episode in, please don't tell me we're now focusing on one of the more grating side characters now? Why are the racing scenes all CG? They look distracting bad now, what happened? :( Feels like the budget was hyper focused on the idol dance scene at the end.
This season seems to have a higher rating on MAL, so maybe it gets a lot better later on, but for now I'm not feeling this at all.

I don't really remember the races being cg and I liked teoi already but trust me when I say it really builds on what makes um1 fun. I think of S1 as vanilla (still good) but S2 has more flavour

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

Not the worst, but here's hoping they can get the new app fixed by the time my renewal is up or I'm likely gone.
I actually like the new app worse than the old one lol.

That being said the tweaks to fix the new app shouldn't be that bad so ideally they will be done in a month or two, while the issues on the old app needed a new app to fix them. But boy is the new app currently a pain in the ass to use with the continue watching completely broken for me and if I go into series I can't see what episodes I'm selecting just the very top of them on google tv lol.

Kaze

Oct 28, 2017
I think Bravern's final episode was all over the place because it had 4 storyboarders and 3 episode directors, when it was 1/1 for most of the series, and 2/2 for some exceptions. Fun ride overall but yeah, that ending felt rushed. It deserved at least one extra episode.

I decided to jump in on Uma Musume, since I keep seeing endless praise for the series both here and elsewhere. I didn't think the premise sounded like my kinda jam, but whatever, I'm up to try new things.

S1 wasn't too bad!
Special Week and Suzuka are both nice leads to carry the show, their stories and challenges were entertaining. Some side characters are kinda annoying (not you, Gold Ship, you're fine) but the races were decently animated and fun to watch, and the idol stuff - which I was dreading as I'm not really into that stuff at all - was surprisingly minimal. This was a good start.

...and then I moved on to S2 last night... what?
I'm just 1 episode in, please don't tell me we're now focusing on one of the more grating side characters now? Why are the racing scenes all CG? They look distracting bad now, what happened? :( Feels like the budget was hyper focused on the idol dance scene at the end.
This season seems to have a higher rating on MAL, so maybe it gets a lot better later on, but for now I'm not feeling this at all.
Different studios worked on S1 and S2, but they share the same core staff. S1 aired in 2018 while the game was in development hell, so it functions more like an ad for the concept of horse girls racing, introducing way too many characters at the same time. S2 aired around the game's release in 2021 and had a much clearer vision for the franchise: focusing on sports drama, with better attention to the characters' careers and historical basis. This makes S2 more exciting as a sports anime.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I don't really remember the races being cg and I liked teoi already but trust me when I say it really builds on what makes um1 fun. I think of S1 as vanilla (still good) but S2 has more flavour
I found this clip from episode 1, look how weird and stiff everyone's CG model looks:

View: https://youtu.be/D36es2dfcNc?si=VMBsjsZJEcV4T1GU
Compared to a scene from season 1, where the racing scenes were less dynamic but at least hand drawn:

View: https://youtu.be/x4pjVoZ1QsI?si=BUprPIy5qz414qrZ&t=61

But yeah Teio was one of those "nails on a chalkboard" characters for me during S1, so I'm not thrilled she's apparently the new MC...
I'll push through, just venting.

edit:
Different studios worked on S1 and S2, but they share the same core staff. S1 aired in 2018 while the game was in development hell, so it functions more like an ad for the concept of horse girls racing, introducing way too many characters at the same time. S2 aired around the game's release in 2021 and had a much clearer vision for the franchise: focusing on sports drama, with better attention to the characters' careers and historical basis. This makes S2 more exciting as a sports anime.
Ah the gap of time and studio change makes a lot of sense to explain the production differences.
I did end up liking S1, hopefully I feel the same way about S2 by the end.

Last edited:

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So I have started watching Ishura and finished the first 3 episodes
Just quickly wanted to ask if the series will continue to basically just be little character stories every episode or if it eventually switches to a more normal narrative?

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
mmm that hand drawn animation is pretty gorgeous. i don't feel like there were compromises on the 'storyline' animation, but it's been a while since i watched s2.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
So I have started watching Ishura and finished the first 3 episodes
Just quickly wanted to ask if the series will continue to basically just be little character stories every episode or if it eventually switches to a more normal narrative?
The first 6 episodes are introductions but then it all comes together after that

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
But yeah Teio was one of those "nails on a chalkboard" characters for me during S1, so I'm not thrilled she's apparently the new MC...
I'll push through, just venting.
I think you will come to love Teios story
I certainly did
She has one of the hypest races in the entire franchise and the fact it is basically a 1:1 copy of the real race is insane

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Season 2 of Uma Musume is legitimately one of the best sports anime. I didnt really care much about Teio in S1 but her story was so compelling and the finale was such an incredible payoff. Its even more remarkable when you know about the history of the actual horse the character is based on.

That season deserved the kind of production values given to Road to the Top and even S3. Studio Kai has gotten much better since but its a damn shame S2 is still stuck with lower quality production. Despite that, it manages to soar.

For Uma Musume, I like S2 the best, much better drama than the other seasons.

Same.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, you guys are getting me hyped back up, I hope S2 lives up to all this praise!

Is it worth looking this up beforehand, or will it spoil some of the twists in the story?

Massive spoilers so def dont look it up until youre finished! Itll be way more enjoyable if you go in without any knowledge beforehand.

Wehrwolf

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say it's better to look up afterward because while it's neat to find out, it will spoil things, and I was impressed/enjoyed how I never knew who would win just about any race.

Last edited:

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Yeah, most likely I'll just pick up the LNs and not even bother with year 2 if it gets adapted, this season was a massive disappointment.

It felt like at least once per episode, some character showed up and I go: "who tf is this dude???"

Maybe I just didn't notice it for previous seasons but goddamn was it always this neutered?
It's been like this since S1. I think Ichinose had Ayanokouji played the part of her boyfriend out of the blue when it's practically their first time meeting in the anime but she actually got to know him before that in the LN. Swimming pool episode was supposed to happened way after that point when they already introduced a bunch of other characters and developments. Like, it's supposed to be one where Ayanokouji and Kei teaming up for that but she still wasn't on his side when the episode happened in the anime so it's almost an anime original with him teaming up with Horikita instead.

I definitely don't consider Bravern ambiguous, even ignoring the previous episode confession/almost kiss this episode Isami talks about how their bond is connected by love or Obari talking how the miracle happened because of love.
I think what's frustrating about this is they usually just treated their scenes like a joke so some people will just write them off as something not serious. I've read some comments bashing other yaoi shows but saying they're fine with this because this is just a "joke". Well, I guess doing it this way kinda helps making it more palatable for wider audience.

Alright, you guys are getting me hyped back up, I hope S2 lives up to all this praise!

Is it worth looking this up beforehand, or will it spoil some of the twists in the story?
I've said it before but it's practically on documentary level of accuracy when it comes to races and the horses' entire career so horse racing fans basically knew all the results since before the season started so definitely look at it after so you won't get spoiled.

I recommend checking out each episode's discussion threads on reddit. There are always some enthusiasts talking about anime vs real events in there. It's usually mostly about the race in that episode so it should be pretty safe to read after each episode.

I also had the same feelings as you at the beginning, hating Tokai Teoi and the distracting CGs (why do they look so blocky?!) but S2 ended up being one of the best sports anime for me.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Excellent find! Thanks for letting me know.

Man, I can't wait for the anime to start, I love the Perfect Origin Arc so much.

The animation looks super good. Not a bad voice cast either.
Actually looked some of them up, and what the heck this is a freaking top tier A-class dub cast. Terryman is Jotaro's va, Ramenman is Kuro Sensei from assassination classroom/Sly Cooper, Robin Mask is Volfogg/GoseiKnight/modern Kenshiro(FOTNS), Buffaloman is the modern voice of Guile and the pod from Nier Automata, and Stecasse King is Natsu from Fairy Tail XD. Just to name a few. I get it's a prestige series in Japan, but boy Production IG is going all out especially since it's a multi-cour

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Finished up Revolutionary Gundam Utena. Big giant tone shift from S1 to S2.

Liked just about all the characters. Miorine never really grew on me though, I feel like she and Suletta needed a lot more interaction in S2. But S2 in general felt a bit rushed, and I think it could have done with maybe a 3rd season.

Also, of all the Utena references, this was the tops. Guel really shined in S2.

WSGf2Gr.jpg

:chefskiss:

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
It's not so much about BL, or the issues I have with some of its tropes, but that BL has a very specific target audience. People watch it specifically to see gay romance, and sometimes for the lewd stuff. Everyone else tend to ignore it. As a queer person I would love to see some good representation in non-BL anime, especially if it involves major characters. and have them being gay not be the actual premise or main plot but just have it be one small part of the story which would have a ton of other things going on as well. Like how Bravern isn't really about Isami and Lewis's heavily implied romantic feelings towards each other, but they're there (and it would have been nice if it hadn't technically just been queerbaiting - so we could have had two men being in love with each other in a show about time travel, super robots and comedy).

In my experience, whenever a non-BL show features anything resembling a gay rep it's either a small role, a stereotype or it's just queerbaiting. It's something people who don't want to be exposed to it can ignore. Long story short, I guess you could say I would just love for us to get to a point where you could have two characters like Isami and Lewis be a gay couple in a show that is not about them being a gay couple and that isn't seen as something that need a "gay content" tag.
I think I get what you mean. You want it normalized.

Liked just about all the characters. Miorine never really grew on me though, I feel like she and Suletta needed a lot more interaction in S2. But S2 in general felt a bit rushed, and I think it could have done with maybe a 3rd season.

WSGf2Gr.jpg

I haven't watched all of the second cour but pretty much everyone seems to agree it needed more episodes. (Fucking Sunrise.) I was sold on Miorine by the end of S1 and what I have watched of S2 just made me like her more. That scene in episode 16 in the greenhouse when she is so pissed off about Suletta being so manipulated by her mother and her struggling to not take it out on Suletta is just a beautiful scene. Really shows her love.

Suletta and Miorine are just really good leads. 😭

Last edited:

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Speaking of shows with normalized queer relationship, I guess MagiRevo kinda is? It's basically a standard mainstream isekai anime with female lead who happens to be lesbian and I don't think they ever put any emphasis on that (aside from a brief flashback of her coming out to her father). They show the leads being intimate and made their relationship pretty explicit (so we didn't really have deniers like what we got with TWFM) but it's never really about them being gay.

Feels like we're long way from having something similar with BL though and I don't know if we're gonna see any progress when their main demographic are young men who'd scream "ew gay" just by seeing men be a bit intimate. These guys are kinda accepting when it comes to GL, well probably more like fetishizing but still, it's not getting the kind of push back BL got.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Bravern - 12 (Final)
I told You That They will do the Golden Form.

Well, Cygames Anime usually has 12 Episodes. They will do more if it is popular (like Zombieland Saga)
There is a Side Story Photo Novel about Lulu and Superia in another Timeline.

About BL/Yaoi Moment in Bravern, Well It's mostly playing as a gag.
If Not Count the Bravern Model. The Merch in this show is a Girl from the show (Lewd Pillow)

Speaking of shows with normalized queer relationship, I guess MagiRevo kinda is? It's basically a standard mainstream isekai anime with female lead who happens to be lesbian and I don't think they ever put any emphasis on that (aside from a brief flashback of her coming out to her father). They show the leads being intimate and made their relationship pretty explicit (so we didn't really have deniers like what we got with TWFM) but it's never really about them being gay.
I mean is Adapt From Yuri LN.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I think what's frustrating about this is they usually just treated their scenes like a joke so some people will just write them off as something not serious. I've read some comments bashing other yaoi shows but saying they're fine with this because this is just a "joke". Well, I guess doing it this way kinda helps making it more palatable for wider audience.
Yeah but it' not like the characters' feelings aren't real. It's funny that Smith is coming on Isami when he's in his giant robot form but it doesn't change that he tried to kiss him and confessed to him. The whole appeal of the show from day one was the giant robot from a comedy setting interacting with the serious, gritty military world.

But even then, the author openly talks about romance and uses the world love so it's not he's trying to play coy. It's just everything is wrapped in a giant absurd giant robot package and people have higher standard on what is "canon" for M/M couples.

Last edited:

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
In terms of BL, we at least have Given. Which is an adaptation of a BL manga, but it seems to have found a lot of popularity outside of the BL fanbase. It has 300k ratings on MAL, which is really good (WFM by comparison has 75k, and the next most popular anime tagged as BL has 150k).

And it's by far my favorite when it comes to LGBTQ representation of any genre. Just a really sweet romance story that I think is legitimately better than any straight anime romance that I've seen. A story that despite having sex as an important part of it doesn't feel sexualized at all. It also stands out to me as a music/band anime. I'm a huge fan of the genre, but it's undeniably filled with massive amounts of queerbaiting. So seeing a music show that doesn't do this is great.

It even has a prominent character that is explicitly bisexual, which is really cool to see because bisexuality feels like an area where anime (and particularly the anime community) sucks at.

I wish other shows would look at Given's success and include more representation.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
It's been like this since S1. I think Ichinose had Ayanokouji played the part of her boyfriend out of the blue when it's practically their first time meeting in the anime but she actually got to know him before that in the LN. Swimming pool episode was supposed to happened way after that point when they already introduced a bunch of other characters and developments. Like, it's supposed to be one where Ayanokouji and Kei teaming up for that but she still wasn't on his side when the episode happened in the anime so it's almost an anime original with him teaming up with Horikita instead.
Of course the garbage, out of place pool episode was an anime only thing.

I can't believe I didn't notice this shit before, what a mess.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I'm in Love with the Villainess would touch on a lot of explicit (mostly women) queer identities if it got a full adaptation (and the manga adaptation wasn't sanitized/editorialized).

Feels like we're long way from having something similar with BL though and I don't know if we're gonna see any progress when their main demographic are young men who'd scream "ew gay" just by seeing men be a bit intimate. These guys are kinda accepting when it comes to GL, well probably more like fetishizing but still, it's not getting the kind of push back BL got.
I don't know about that. A lot of the conflict in the anime stems from the fact that Anis is the first in line in succession, but she doesn't want to be because it's the path of heteronormativity.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Of course the garbage, out of place pool episode was an anime only thing.

I can't believe I didn't notice this shit before, what a mess.
FWIW it's mostly the same with the pool and peeping storyline so it's not like the anime staffs pull this entirely out of their asses. It just serves more purpose as Ayanokouji and Kei's bonding moments so it doesn't feel like just a fanservice for the sake of fanservice like in the anime. The pulling into the pool moment actually means something when it's Kei because she has that big scar and typically wouldn't wear swimsuits and go into the pool so this is a first step for her growth.

I don't know about that. A lot of the conflict in the anime stems from the fact that Anis is the first in line in succession, but she doesn't want to be because it's the path of heteronormativity.
Hmm. It's been a while so I'm a bit hazy on the details but I guess we just have a different read on it. I feel like she just used not wanting to get married and have children as an excuse to make way for her brother and the main reason and the root of most conflicts in the anime is still her not being able to use magic and will never be accepted by the nobility, which would still be the same regardless of her sexuality.
She definitely feels that way but she's also actually really responsible and will probably took the throne herself if she can use magic (then find a way out of having to marry a man and have children so, in a way, this will probably make the show more driven by the fact that she's gay).

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
FWIW it's mostly the same with the pool and peeping storyline so it's not like the anime staffs pull this entirely out of their asses. It just serves more purpose as Ayanokouji and Kei's bonding moments so it doesn't feel like just a fanservice for the sake of fanservice like in the anime. The pulling into the pool moment actually means something when it's Kei because she has that big scar and typically wouldn't wear swimsuits and go into the pool so this is a first step for her growth.
The anime was a mistake, this adaptation sucks

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
The Witch and the Beast 11
Guideau swinging that coffin around like she's Goldlewis Dickinson. Ending the season on a flashback is certainly a choice.

Weakest Tamer 12 END
Does Ivy only know how to calculate in mice.
Okay, so Meela did get punishment. Ivy finally finding friends is cute.
That slime scene after the credits was gorgeous

This one was alright. The child trafficking plot was very unexpected. I really wanted her to go back and show her family how much better off she is without them tho.

Healing Magic 13 END
Usato's had enough of Suzune's degeneracy.
Amako's ears are adorable tho so I'll agree with her there 🦊.
They really love focusing the camera on demon girls ass huh. With an ending like that, we gotta get a season 2.

This series was great, a complete surprise and an absolute treat. Wasn't expecting this to be one of the funniest shows this season, tho nothing beats Torture Princess. Really good characters in here.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Weakest Tamer - COMPLETE
"Weakest Tamer" asks "What if Myne from Ascendance of a Bookworm had a really shitty start". There's definitely things to like about this show. Ivy is likeable, plucky and resourceful, and her circumstances make her instantly sympathetic. It is genuinely heartwarming to see her find acceptance after dealing with horrific abuse and having to literally search through garbage to survive. Unfortunately the show gets bogged down heavily by the final arc, dealing with a vague and nonthreatening organization of human traffickers that cause Ivy and the cast to spend most of the time explaining every little detail. The show feels like it would've worked best if there was less dialogue and winding plots and more of a focus on simpler emotional stories with the soundtrack carrying things along (the final after credit scene is a fantastic example of this).

Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic - COMPLETE

For an isekai about a protagonist with an ultra rare magical skill, "The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic" is surprisingly restrained. Alot of the focus is actually on the various relationships in the cast and how they feel being thrust into this crazy situation. In many ways this feels more like the story of young adults being drafted into war than a story about the chosen hero beating the Demon King. The most divisive aspect of the show will probably be its pace, as it's a slow burn to one big battle that honestly is only a prelude to the rest of the story. There's more conversation than combat here, and how much you can get into the world and characters will affect how much you like that. Personally, I think the cast is alot of fun and their relationships feel natural and developed. Usato is a genuinely likeable protagonist, and his student teacher relationship with Rose adds alot to this show.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 16-24
Maybe it's just me but I'm finding it harder to get into Zeta than the original. Maybe it's just Gundam fatigue causing me to pay less attention or something, but I feel like more stuff gets lost in translation and I have to go back and rewatch stuff to feel like I kind of sort of understand what's going on. The way characters treat each other still requires me to fill in a bunch of the blanks myself, like I have to think about what I've watched and concoct an explanation for why things unfolded the way they did that doesn't really get shown on screen.

With that in mind, let's talk about how everyone treats Kamille:
The relationship he forms with Four, while hilariously quick to start and end, makes sense; they're both Newtypes and they both crave companionship. So most of the stuff involving the two of them works for me: Kamille's initial contact with Four while fighting in the skies of Hong Kong, Kamille seeking out Four later on and having their midnight kiss, Four being blackmailed with her own memories and how that conflicts with her relationship with Kamille, etc.

But the way he acts after returning to space is... weird? I guess when I pick it apart in my head it all makes a kind of sense: he's a bit surly and testy when he's back on board because he doesn't know what to do about Four, and various people (mostly Emma) piece together that he's fallen in love with someone back on Earth. But somehow it doesn't really come across that way to me at first glance; instead it feels like Kamille mostly acting like normal, and then people giving him shit for no real reason and him responding badly to it. Case in point: when he fights the two officers on the bridge because they keep teasing him. Sure, dumb thing for him to do, but why were they picking on him in the first place? They act like he's all stuck up and conceited now but I didn't get that sense from him really at all.

Later on, in the midst of Kamille's women troubles (because women apparently only exist on this show to cause men trouble, what the fuck) Bright asks Emma to talk some sense into him and Emma refuses because she thinks Kamille is attracted to her and she doesn't want to encourage him to look at her in a motherly way. But then Emma goes on mostly interacting with Kamille like she usually does, except maybe giving him a fraction less shit about how wrong he is about everything. And throughout all of this, Kamille seems to be acting more even-keeled than we've ever seen him. Compared to the start of the show, when he basically didn't give a shit about Fa and attacked Federation security officers for seemingly no reason, he's shockingly normal now. Huh?

Oh, also, randomly: you send KAMILLE out on a spy mission to Von Braun City, which is infested with Titans? WHY?

Based on commentary random internet people have left on previous episodes (ex. the Reddit Zeta rewatch from several years back) it feels like I'm the only one who gets confused by this stuff, everyone else seems to be interpreting events and character motivations correctly. It genuinely makes me wonder if I'm just stupid, and/or if I should just give the show a break and watch some other stuff, in case it really is fatigue. But right now I'm not really sure why people like this more than 0079.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 16-24
Maybe it's just me but I'm finding it harder to get into Zeta than the original. Maybe it's just Gundam fatigue causing me to pay less attention or something, but I feel like more stuff gets lost in translation and I have to go back and rewatch stuff to feel like I kind of sort of understand what's going on. The way characters treat each other still requires me to fill in a bunch of the blanks myself, like I have to think about what I've watched and concoct an explanation for why things unfolded the way they did that doesn't really get shown on screen.

With that in mind, let's talk about how everyone treats Kamille:
The relationship he forms with Four, while hilariously quick to start and end, makes sense; they're both Newtypes and they both crave companionship. So most of the stuff involving the two of them works for me: Kamille's initial contact with Four while fighting in the skies of Hong Kong, Kamille seeking out Four later on and having their midnight kiss, Four being blackmailed with her own memories and how that conflicts with her relationship with Kamille, etc.

But the way he acts after returning to space is... weird? I guess when I pick it apart in my head it all makes a kind of sense: he's a bit surly and testy when he's back on board because he doesn't know what to do about Four, and various people (mostly Emma) piece together that he's fallen in love with someone back on Earth. But somehow it doesn't really come across that way to me at first glance; instead it feels like Kamille mostly acting like normal, and then people giving him shit for no real reason and him responding badly to it. Case in point: when he fights the two officers on the bridge because they keep teasing him. Sure, dumb thing for him to do, but why were they picking on him in the first place? They act like he's all stuck up and conceited now but I didn't get that sense from him really at all.

Later on, in the midst of Kamille's women troubles (because women apparently only exist on this show to cause men trouble, what the fuck) Bright asks Emma to talk some sense into him and Emma refuses because she thinks Kamille is attracted to her and she doesn't want to encourage him to look at her in a motherly way. But then Emma goes on mostly interacting with Kamille like she usually does, except maybe giving him a fraction less shit about how wrong he is about everything. And throughout all of this, Kamille seems to be acting more even-keeled than we've ever seen him. Compared to the start of the show, when he basically didn't give a shit about Fa and attacked Federation security officers for seemingly no reason, he's shockingly normal now. Huh?

Oh, also, randomly: you send KAMILLE out on a spy mission to Von Braun City, which is infested with Titans? WHY?

Based on commentary random internet people have left on previous episodes (ex. the Reddit Zeta rewatch from several years back) it feels like I'm the only one who gets confused by this stuff, everyone else seems to be interpreting events and character motivations correctly. It genuinely makes me wonder if I'm just stupid, and/or if I should just give the show a break and watch some other stuff, in case it really is fatigue. But right now I'm not really sure why people like this more than 0079.
It has been a long while since I've watched Zeta, to the point where I'd have to actually rewatch it to form an opinion again, but do know that there are people out there who don't really hold Zeta in that much of a high regard, so you're not alone.

Plenty enough people would say the original holds up better.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
That reminds me that I should see what Austin's written or podcasted about the franchise, now that I'm finally watching the shows. I bet he'd be a good guide.

convo

Oct 25, 2017

WSGf2Gr.jpg

Everyone agrees that there needs to be more, but Bandai got a backlog of stuff to get through that maybe 10 years down the line doesn't seem like a stretch to me for a continuation. Hell Gundam 00 is supposed to get a small third season that got pushed back because of low priority and covid.

Miorine ends in the right sort of mind space at the end, with more threats looming on the horizon. Also
could put a lot more into what her Mom was up to back then.

Silverhand

Oct 26, 2023
Is there an anime like Sword Art Online or displaced guy in a fantasy world where he isn't the best fighter around (at least not at first) and doesn't collect a harem full of women with a ton of cheesecake every other episode? Perhaps somewhat serious in tone.

Like, Lodoss War except Parn is new to the whole thing.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an anime like Sword Art Online or displaced guy in a fantasy world where he isn't the best fighter around (at least not at first) and doesn't collect a harem full of women with a ton of cheesecake every other episode? Perhaps somewhat serious in tone.

I just started watching The Vision of Escaflowne and that might fit what you're looking for.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

So, our main character is pretty strong, but constantly getting in over his head and plenty of other characters are higher level. So it might not be quite what you are looking for but might I recommend you give the recent release Shangra-la Frontier a check out

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GasIaj6iNOU

It's just a series about a guy having fun playing video games, with fun action scenes building up to a big fight where the main romance to the show is just used as a joke and it's finishing this weekend.

There's no being stuck in a fantasy world with this one though, he's really just playing a game. He can leave whenever. But the anime almost exclusively takes place in the game.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

The Wrong Way to use Healing Magic from this last season that ended today should be up your alley: lead is plus one to a summoning ceremony and discovers he has the rare healing magic attribute and gets drafted into training.
Reincarnated as a Sword was another fun one, the lead is as much the local girl that picks him up as he is. Also figures out quick he's far from the best.

I'll also second Shangri la frontier
The Witch and the Beast 11
Guideau swinging that coffin around like she's Goldlewis Dickinson. Ending the season on a flashback is certainly a choice.

Weakest Tamer 12 END
Does Ivy only know how to calculate in mice.
Okay, so Meela did get punishment. Ivy finally finding friends is cute.
That slime scene after the credits was gorgeous

This one was alright. The child trafficking plot was very unexpected. I really wanted her to go back and show her family how much better off she is without them tho.

Healing Magic 13 END
Usato's had enough of Suzune's degeneracy.
Amako's ears are adorable tho so I'll agree with her there 🦊.
They really love focusing the camera on demon girls ass huh. With an ending like that, we gotta get a season 2.

This series was great, a complete surprise and an absolute treat. Wasn't expecting this to be one of the funniest shows this season, tho nothing beats Torture Princess. Really good characters in here.

Weakest Tamer - COMPLETE
"Weakest Tamer" asks "What if Myne from Ascendance of a Bookworm had a really shitty start". There's definitely things to like about this show. Ivy is likeable, plucky and resourceful, and her circumstances make her instantly sympathetic. It is genuinely heartwarming to see her find acceptance after dealing with horrific abuse and having to literally search through garbage to survive. Unfortunately the show gets bogged down heavily by the final arc, dealing with a vague and nonthreatening organization of human traffickers that cause Ivy and the cast to spend most of the time explaining every little detail. The show feels like it would've worked best if there was less dialogue and winding plots and more of a focus on simpler emotional stories with the soundtrack carrying things along (the final after credit scene is a fantastic example of this).

Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic - COMPLETE

For an isekai about a protagonist with an ultra rare magical skill, "The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic" is surprisingly restrained. Alot of the focus is actually on the various relationships in the cast and how they feel being thrust into this crazy situation. In many ways this feels more like the story of young adults being drafted into war than a story about the chosen hero beating the Demon King. The most divisive aspect of the show will probably be its pace, as it's a slow burn to one big battle that honestly is only a prelude to the rest of the story. There's more conversation than combat here, and how much you can get into the world and characters will affect how much you like that. Personally, I think the cast is alot of fun and their relationships feel natural and developed. Usato is a genuinely likeable protagonist, and his student teacher relationship with Rose adds alot to this show.
Yeah the next arc of Healing magic is where things really kick off as a manga reader.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
So, our main character is pretty strong, but constantly getting in over his head and plenty of other characters are higher level. So it might not be quite what you are looking for but might I recommend you give the recent release Shangra-la Frontier a check out

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GasIaj6iNOU

It's just a series about a guy having fun playing video games, with fun action scenes building up to a big fight where the main romance to the show is just used as a joke and it's finishing this weekend.

There's no being stuck in a fantasy world with this one though, he's really just playing a game. He can leave whenever. But the anime almost exclusively takes place in the game.

Highly endorse Shangri-La Frontier. If you're a fan of Soulsborne, this is the anime for you.

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo

You should binge solo leveling (final cour ep will be released tomorrow)

There is no more perfect time than that.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017

Grimgar of Fantasy And Ash would seem to mostly fit the bill.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017

log horizon 100%

dude is still OP but just in brains instead of fighting

that said there's a larger group dynamic in LH i feel, though it is very much about shiroe

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017

log horizon 100%

dude is still OP but just in brains instead of fighting

that said there's a larger group dynamic in LH i feel, though it is very much about shiroe

Yeah, Log Horizon is great if you want to see the typical MMO isekai but with a focus on the politics and economics of a mass group of people isekai'd. Shiroe is OP, but in a way that requires him to work with others to cover what he lacks.

Both it and Shangri-la Frontier are also the rare case where it feels like the authors have actually played MMOs.

Status
Not open for further replies.