MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Been a LONG time since I've seen it but Martian Successor Nadesico's animation went completely downhill after the first three or so episodes. Still a fun show but I don't ever remember the cross crash fight ever being topped in terms of animation.

moronica

Oct 28, 2017
Engage Planet Kissdum, that show was great for the first episode and then turned into a trainwreck.

They did re-release it eventually and I may get around to watching it...

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
My personal answer would be One Piece. I actually loved the art alot back in the day and think the current one looks hideous.

On a technical level it's very well animated, but I personally still think it's bad because it ends up looking really goofy to me and while I get what they were going for, I don't think it ultimately worked very well

Pretty much this. Old School tom & Jerry had great animation too and it was goofy and funny, but it works because that's the point of it. The goofy and comical animations in Pain fight didn't work because it was supposed to be super serious and intense yet countless people and I ended up both laughing and disappointed.

When so many people end hating on it, you know something is wrong there. Anime fans aren't shitting on great animations just for the sake of it.

Jan 2, 2018
A few examples were already named.

But do you know what got better over the years? Detective Conan! It was never bad though, they just got more modern and expressive. Always good action scenes, especially in the movies.

3275446_1371967151377.75res_417_243.jpg

Episode_2-3.jpg

tumblr_lw2gybv6Uz1r0ze1qo1_400.gif

Movie 2:
jYVMcaS.gif

Movie 18:
IlliterateAngelicChipmunk-size_restricted.gif

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Evangelion was one of those rare instances where a good chunk of the fandom prefer the shoestring budget finale in episode form over the gorgeously animated film of said finale.

TxJavzx.jpg

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Man, Dragon Ball Super Broly is easily the best animated and directed piece of Dragon Ball media, period.
I went and watched the movie with a superfan friend of mine and couldn't help but walk out disappointed.

Like, it was a bombastic movie with a completely alien (to me at least) plot structure, but it was obviously a budget production. But that might have been my fault because I was expecting my mind to be blown a-la Eva 2.22 or even like Redline style.

That being said, I was absolutely captivated with the Planet Vegeta prologue stuff. I played the hell out of FighterZ but never really watched the show other than when my middle school friends were gushing about it.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
This could simply be Gainax: The Thread, but I'm going with one near and dear to my heart:

Tenku Senki Shurato

It suffered the usual curse of blowing your budget early enough and then just finishing with what scraps they had left. The first 28 episodes or so are fantastic, well animated and well drawn. The last 10, aside from one scene at the very end, looks so bad that there times calling it a slide show would be generous.

Compared episode 13's animation

to episode 30

What you're seeing that looks like they're just missing some animation between key frames is like that for the rest of the show, frequently. It was never a downright gorgeous show, by any means and had a somewhat typical budget for a late 80s shonen thing, but man, it hurts so much because the show is really damned good.

Sep 14, 2019
"Sailor Moon Crystal" Season 3
sm-crystal.jpg

It started off great, especially after the not-so-great first 2 seasons, but the animation slowly began feeling... off?

I don't know, but aside from a few scenes, the animation felt like it was dipping, and it seems it's getting worse with the upcoming Sailor Moon films.

Even the transformations from the upcoming films look worse than the original 90's anime.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
A few examples were already named.

But do you know what got better over the years? Detective Conan! It was never bad though, they just got more modern and expressive. Always good action scenes, especially in the movies.

3275446_1371967151377.75res_417_243.jpg

Episode_2-3.jpg

tumblr_lw2gybv6Uz1r0ze1qo1_400.gif

Movie 2:
jYVMcaS.gif

Movie 18:
IlliterateAngelicChipmunk-size_restricted.gif

I humbly disagree. Much prefer the original artstyle. It does better job with scary faces

fxta5rx7h1s41.jpg