Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
This (end game) pitch black deep sea area is going to make me drop the game. Why would you make a level like this with no way to light it up as you move around? Its obviously copying Catacombs like everything else in this game is stealing from other games but geez. That gave you a light up helmet or a lantern to see the area. In this, I'm wandering around in circles because I can't fucking see where I'm going.

There are shells that their skill emits light, a stowaway fish that emits light, and in the beginning there are things you punch for lightning up the zone (permanently)

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
There are shells that their skill emits light, a stowaway fish that emits light, and in the beginning there are things you punch for lightning up the zone (permanently)
There's a costume too you can get relatively early in the area that emits light as well.

Edit: actually no it doesn't it just looks like it does

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
i just bought this but it has to wait, im playing Dark Forces with it being may 4 and all

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
This (end game) pitch black deep sea area is going to make me drop the game. Why would you make a level like this with no way to light it up as you move around? Its obviously copying Catacombs like everything else in this game is stealing from other games but geez. That gave you a light up helmet or a lantern to see the area. In this, I'm wandering around in circles because I can't fucking see where I'm going.

Even without the other light sources that others mentioned, I personally didn't mind that section largely because your goal (the lights from the pinball machine) is always visible and shows you where you need to go. When focusing on that I also didn't have issues with getting turned around.

Oh, where's that shell from by the way?

You should find that one lying around in some places in the Unfathom. Couldn't tell you exactly where, though.

Also, some general observations about the game, both from stuff like enemy placement and what it says about the world, as well as general worldbuilding:

I think the ways this game manages to tell a story from small details is absolutely great. My favorite example is what happens when the big laser crabs in the Unfathom come into play: As soon as you enter an area with those guys, all the normal enemies you've been used to disappear. Instead, the morays and little crabs and whatnot all hide out behind cover or in crevices. All with the exception of the hypnosis cuttlefish, which are chilling out in the open with the laser crabs. So the deal here is obviously that the cuttlefish hypnotized the laser crabs into not attacking them, which is super cool worldbuilding.

I also love how the player's thoughts on the old ocean change as you progress. When you first see that symbol, you probably think "Oh look at that the old ocean managed to use biodegradables! Good for them!" until you realize that biodegradables often still can take centuries to fully decompose, and Old Carcinia still wound up succumbing to the Gunk just the same. In fact, the implication seems to be that they tried to cleanse themselves from the gunk using cleaning products, which likely only backfired.

And lastly, I absolutely love how the "worthless" line you see from gunked enemies, later revealed to be those controlled by Praya Dubia, recontextualizes the opening narration. What word would you use to describe our planet? To Praya Dubia, that word is "worthless." (Sidenote, I love how praya dubia is an actual creature, it's great)

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I thought I was at the end last night

Then I realized I wasn't. I was probably at the halfway mark lol...

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to recover microplastics if you die by falling into a pit?

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
This game is so freaking adorable!

Been playing with my daughter watching, and we laugh our butts off. How long is the game? I saw nothing about it before I gave it a shot on gamepass.

My fav soulslike since ASHEN

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to love this game, but the lack of map or anything to remind you where to go is really killing my enjoyment of this game :/
Yup, it's really killing my drive to continue playing after putting several hours into it.

Yeah ☹️

I combed all around the perimeter but couldn't find my loot. 12k down the drain.
Stuff like this is why I enabled the "don't lose money" option early on. Heard way too many complaints about lost money, so I'd rather enjoy the game in spite of that.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
This game is so freaking adorable!

Been playing with my daughter watching, and we laugh our butts off. How long is the game? I saw nothing about it before I gave it a shot on gamepass.

My fav soulslike since ASHEN
It's about 20ish hours long. It could probably go up or down a lot depending on how much you want to search for secrets.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
It's about 20ish hours long. It could probably go up or down a lot depending on how much you want to search for secrets.
20 hours is a bit longer than I thought it would be. I am around six hours in and hoped I was halfway.
Stuff like this is why I enabled the "don't lose money" option early on. Heard way too many complaints about lost money, so I'd rather enjoy the game in spite of that.
Yeah…

It feels like cheating to enable the option. But if my stuff becomes inaccessible because it spawned inside an object or out-of-bounds, that's a problem.

I am probably more conflicted about enabling accessibility options than I should be 🥴

I generally like the game. But the genre makes those rough edges rough.

With Shadow of the Erdtree around the corner, maybe it's best not to stress too much about getting the kind of forged-in-hell combat experience that's going to be forced on me a month from now.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
any use for the purple crystals later in the game?
I maxed out my skill tree some time ago, but still get so many crystals from the levels and enemies.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I liked this more. I know it's a pretty small-budget project and I give it some leeway for that. I love the imagination that went into environments and enemy design. The script is sharply written. But the combat is just almost there, and that gap is frustrating in punishing games like this. The camera often freaks out, lock-on picks bizarre targets, Kril gets hung up on geometry, hitboxes are mismatched to animations. It reminds me of many of my frustrations with Dark Souls 2 😔

I don't dislike it. But I want to love it. I've been wishing for a whimsical soulslike for ages. The team deserves credit for what they've delivered. The mechanics of this type of game unfortunately amplify the consequences of not-quite-there execution.
I've just reached the grove and this is really dead on to how I'm feeling.
Enjoy the world, the colourful tone, the general map design seems fine etc
But the multitude of combat issues that are slightly below par really add up fast in a game in this genre.
So many occasions where my inputs feel eaten, where the dodge is unreliable, where enemies track with hitboxes that don't seem quite right.

Feels like there's a real juxtaposition as well between the generally responsive 3D platformer style movement and the committal souls like combat that just feels off.

I waver between dropping it and enabling some assist features

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
After getting the map piece in the expired grove, instead of teleporting back to town (or if you did, teleport back), continue on the path suggested by the samurai crab. There's a whole extra area to explore back there.
I first reached the samurai crab from behind through the shortcut door. :D

But missed the upper part of the village till now.

BearBobomb

Jun 3, 2022
Earth
Just did the Accumulator boss fight and gotta say, did not think this is a game that would feature a wand vibrator... XD

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Screw you duchess! lol man that fight was too hard for us… till I found the coconut. Blessed coconut. Beat her without even taking damage after like 8 tries with cans and cups lol

damn what a fun game

Nov 7, 2022
This game does seem a little too janky for how punishing it is. I just finished the second boss (to get the pearl) and was having a real hard time seeing the telegraph for one of its attacks and the hit boxes weren't doing it any favors. The lead up to him was also annoying as I managed to get hit-stunned back and forth between two urchins. If the game were less derivative I'd be willing to give it more of a chance, but right now all it has going for it is the charming writing and setting.

Oct 26, 2017
Just beat this after a couple weekends playing it; been playing on Xbox Game Pass. Overall, I'm satisfied with my time with it, but this game's bugginess was a huge detriment. Being flung HIGH into the air randomly when doing the dashing attack using the scrap hammer, the game slowing to 0 FPS at times(fixable by resetting the game, but still), and even having the game consistently crash when killing a particular enemy in one of the final areas of the game.

Still a very fun game, though. Very cute, really big areas that encourage exploration, and great world/character/enemy design overall, but very glad I played it on Game Pass.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
FUCK. Seems like I lost like a nice 5-6 hours of progress. I thought the game had autosave but I guess it doesn't (so I guess it's on me). Started it right now and I literally started from where I was before the session before that ended.

The game is so good but this is eating me hard right now and I have no energy to redo all that.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
FUCK. Seems like I lost like a nice 5-6 hours of progress. I thought the game had autosave but I guess it doesn't (so I guess it's on me). Started it right now and I literally started from where I was before the session before that ended.

The game is so good but this is eating me hard right now and I have no energy to redo all that.

Huh? This game has autosave. Might be a glitch.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
FUCK. Seems like I lost like a nice 5-6 hours of progress. I thought the game had autosave but I guess it doesn't (so I guess it's on me).
I'm surprised you went that long without ever seeing a moon snail shell (where it autosaves), the bonfire equivalent for saving and leveling up.

There's a save game option in the menu, in case you go far without seeing one.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. This game is incredibly janky. I'm playing on my Series X but is it actually that much worse on Switch? Half the complaints I've heard about the Switch version I've encountered on Xbox. Plus I ended up having to force kill myself within the first 5 minutes of gameplay because it is far more guided than I'd thought. I've found some secrets hidden away and then when exploring further in what I felt were spots just as tricky to get to, the game clearly has no idea how to handle going off the designated paths.

It's still charming and I clearly haven't gotten to the core of the game yet, but this is easily the most broken game I've played in years time.

Jan 29, 2018
Do the assist options disable achievements? I turned on the one for shell durability and got no achievement for defeating The Duchess.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
I'm surprised you went that long without ever seeing a moon snail shell (where it autosaves), the bonfire equivalent for saving and leveling up.

There's a save game option in the menu, in case you go far without seeing one.
That's the thing. I've constantly found them and used them and there has been been the save icon too all the time so I thought I was safe.

I just took out the gun and activated the invulnerability and I'm just cruising through back where I left last time, but sure doesn't feel good either way, but at least I can pretty much speedrun it now so it should be WAY faster to catch up where I left.

Also making sure I'm spamming the manual save as often as possible. Not sure what happened (probably glitch?) but trying to play it extra safe now.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Can you parry boss attack? Somehow i couldn't do it on the queen, parry and counter never happened! And i'm not bad at parry at all, i'm used to it with all the other souls games

Also i can't do the magick attack with square button anymore, it just does a small sound like the action is not available, but i have no idea why

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Can you parry boss attack? Somehow i couldn't do it on the queen, parry and counter never happened! And i'm not bad at parry at all, i'm used to it with all the other souls games

Also i can't do the magick attack with square button anymore, it just does a small sound like the action is not available, but i have no idea why

Parry is a skill. You need to unlock it first. You should be able to parry 90% of the attacks (other than the blue or red skull attacks).

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany

You have a limited amount of magic, indicated by the purple stars above your health bars.

As for the parries, maybe you're just off on the timing? There's no reason for bosses to be unparriable except the red/blue warning attacks.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The parry is on release from block (he does a little jumping jack sort of animation and if it connects your get a white flash/slash across the screen as indication. Parry in Dutchess is dope because her tea bag swings back at her and does a number on her.

You may be out of umami charges or close to filling one but it isn't full yet. Some skills require more than 1 umami charge - so that could be another problem.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Grovekeeper Mantis Shrimp is pissing me off. I think the phase 2 is bugged. He will disappear and no sound effects play and then he just does the blink punch immediately on me and I basically get one tapped.

Doesnt help that my elite rb is not registering every time

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I'm most likely towards the end of the game and even with all the existing issues, I've been having a blast with this game. Truly, the greatest souls game involving a crab as a main character.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
grab the decoy crabs and spam the ability
I was 😭 It's annoying bc i need to get back in the shell to not get one tapped and by the time that's done maybe I could get one or two hits in depending on the move he had used on the decoy. And at that point I might as well just 1v1 and dodge. I just shot him with the gun idgaf.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Sadly I think it's gonna be a minute before we get some of the necessary QOL patches. :/

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Just powered through to the end of the game. The endgame gauntlet of two phased bosses is so tedious and tiring. I ended up turning the gun on for the final boss after a few attempts because I just wanted it to be over. I had one attempt where the boss knocked me off the ledge and I fell into an infinite void. I was just stuck floating in mid air t-posing and had to kill myself.

Fuck this janky, buggy, shamelessly copy cat of a video game. I'm shocked at how much stuff they just straight up steal from From Soft games. It's not even parody or flattery, they just shameless steal stuff. Plot points, lore, gameplay mechanics, enemies types and attacks (even boss names), etc. Its pretty gross.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just powered through to the end of the game. The endgame gauntlet of two phased bosses is so tedious and tiring. I ended up turning the gun on for the final boss after a few attempts because I just wanted it to be over. I had one attempt where the boss knocked me off the ledge and I fell into an infinite void. I was just stuck floating in mid air t-posing and had to kill myself.

Fuck this janky, buggy, shamelessly copy cat of a video game. I'm shocked at how much stuff they just straight up steal from From Soft games. It's not even parody or flattery, they just shameless steal stuff. Plot points, lore, gameplay mechanics, enemies types and attacks (even boss names), etc. Its pretty gross.

I got hit so hard by the the second to last boss on my first attempt that it triggered a load screen that skipped the boss entirely. I was so confused.

I was also having trouble on the last boss until I did a little more exploring and found the knight helmet shell which made the boss a joke.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Hahaha got you Shellsplitter!!!!

Even counting the jank, the game us a delight.

I've never even heard of these devs before
And now I'm a fan