• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Recently we had a announcement of Switch emulator called Yuzu. Recently, another one got announced, RyujiNX.

https://github.com/gdkchan/Ryujinx

Obviously extremely early, but it does already run homebrew at quite the impressive performance.

Note: Before getting your shitposts in, this won't be running commercial games in playable capacity anytime soon.

Last edited:

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
While I am for emulators and I emulate old games myself, I don't know why but I don't feel happy when I see current gen emulator especially for Switch

Oct 25, 2017
Why there's already two emulators for Nintendo Switch when there's none for PS4/Xone. I really makes me wonder why the emulation scene has so much interest in Nintendo consoles.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Why there's already two emulators for Nintendo Switch when there's none for PS4/Xone. I really makes me wonder why the emulation scene has so much interest in Nintendo consoles.
In the past, it's mostly because of sheer exclusives of Nintendo's IPs that attracted emulation devs to work them out.

Now, it's because of available docs. Nintendo typically has better documentation, when you actually read it.

OP
OP
BernardoOne

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why there's already two emulators for Nintendo Switch when the none for PS4/Xone. I really makes me wonder why the emulation scene has so much interest in Nintendo consoles.
Tetra X1 is very well documented which I'd say it's one of the main reasons. That, and not needing as much beefy specs required than a PS4/XB1 wouldm

kappa_krey

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
This kind of stuff was bound to happen since these systems now are using very standard PC and ARM architectures :S

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
thing QUOTE="kickz, post: 4646771, member: 30466"]Its on its way :)

Now that PsNow is on PC[/QUOTE]
You're being rather disingenuous, you said this was the reason "why the emulation scene has so much interest in Nintendo consoles" and not in PS4 and XB1, yet obviously, when they started doing this work Gamepass wasn't a thing and PSNow possibly having some up to date games wasn't a thing either... So no, these are not the reasons.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
but the thing that make the switch the switch is the portability so this is like only 50% of the console and that is if the games are working correctly

Deleted member 16039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, "it won't be able to run commercial games anytime soon".

Let the guys start a Patreon like the Cemu team. Progress will fly.
It's a bad news.

Hate : You don't need a Switch PC emulator to play old games... There's already TONS of emulators for every system to use on your PC.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Homebrew, I'm ok with it. There's a darker side to it of course but you can have lots of fun customising stuff and with emulation and such which doesn't hurt anyone. But emulation of current gen hardware? I find that incredibly hard to justify, at least if you intend to release it to the public. With the surprising momentum the development of the homebrew scene for the switch has I'm sure it'll be running commercial games decently sooner than later. I'm really not comfortable with this, sorry.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope to god this never plays actual titles until well after the switch life cycle.

Nothing worse to me seeing a emulator running a current Nintendo console game and PC players trolling the internet saying there playing it in 4K on there ultraaaaaa rig etc.

Hope this isn't another patreon situation like CEMU where they makes thhousands a month just so people can play Zelda instead of buying a switch

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my main appeals for Switch is the portability, so don't really care about en emulator for it, but still cool.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting. Wonder what the processing power recommendations for these will be when they're more fully featured.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, "it won't be able to run commercial games anytime soon".

Let the guys start a Patreon like the Cemu team. Progress will fly.
It's a bad news.

Hate : You don't need a Switch PC emulator to play old games... There's already TONS of emulators for every system to use on your PC.

Yea. I've mistaken it for a hack on the Switch itself.

OP
OP
BernardoOne

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's always funny to me when people pretend to not understand the difference between the form factor of a laptop vs a switch
A laptop is hardly the only portable from factor in existence. Form factors that are literally more portable than the Switch do exists, such as seen on the GPD Win and 2. And while a GPD Win 1/2 isn't powerful enough for emulating the titles, there will eventually exist a device with a similar form factor that does.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
A laptop is hardly the only portable from factor in existence. Form factors that are literally more portable than the Switch do exists, such as seen on the GPD Win and 2. And while a GPD Win 1/2 isn't powerful enough for emulating the titles, there will eventually exist a device with a similar form factor that does.
Yes, I know. But we are talking about the present, right? Don't get me wrong, I've always loved emulation in portable devices (for example I use emulators on my phone with an ipega gamepad). But... by the time a GPD win whatever can emulate Switch games at fullspeed the current Switch will probably be irrelevant lol
You'll probably pack the same amount of stuff in a laptop bag as you do in a Switch carry case. It can be just as portable as a Switch.
Please try to tell me with a straight face that picking up the Switch to play games in a train, or a plane, or anywhere really, and picking up a laptop (+ the gamepad or the mouse unless you consider the touchpad an option (lol)) are just as confortable

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I know. But we are talking about the present, right? Don't get me wrong, I've always loved emulation in portable devices (for example I use emulators on my phone with an ipega gamepad). But... by the time a GPD win whatever can emulate Switch games at fullspeed the current Switch will probably be irrelevant lol

Please try to tell me with a straight face that picking up the Switch to play games in a train, or a plane, or anywhere really, and picking up a laptop (+ the gamepad or the mouse unless you consider the touchpad an option (lol)) are just as confortable

My hybrid laptop has a touchscreen. Depending on the game, that or the touchpad would work fine. Matter of fact, I've played games on my laptop on a plane many times. And usually my 3DS and Vita is in the bag with it. So it's really a matter of what I feel like playing at the time. Though I haven't traveled by plane or train in over 3 years now, so I haven't needed to bring the Switch traveling. There's also very little difference playing in tabletop mode. The laptop can do that as well, but with a bigger screen.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
The flagship phones are already significantly more powerful than the Switch. And the gap widens every year. But they obviously lack the accompanying software.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
The flagship phones are already significantly more powerful than the Switch. And the gap widens every year. But they obviously lack the accompanying software.
At peak performance maybe. Phones can't really sustain peak performance for very long, though. They're more optimized for very bursty loads.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Seems to making decent progress.