• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
As always, Anthem continues to divide people. Need more info on loot etc but the rest looks good to me.

I would say places like this also tends to be more cynical and negative towards certain things. I expect this game to do really well in the mainstream. You just gotta find out if you will enjoy it or not and not focus too much on the negativity.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I would say places like this also tends to be more cynical and negative towards certain things. I expect this game to do really well in the mainstream. You just gotta find out if you will enjoy it or not and not focus too much on the negativity.
I am a big loot whore, so if the loot loop is good and the content is there, I will play it. I got burnt on Destiny because Bungie promised so much and delivered so little. Combat too same and too much recycled stuff. Anthem could turn out the same but I will give it a shot anyway. Roll on a alpha/beta.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I am a big loot whore, so if the loot loop is good and the content is there, I will play it. I got burnt on Destiny because Bungie promised so much and delivered so little. Combat too same and too much recycled stuff. Anthem could turn out the same but I will give it a shot anyway. Roll on a alpha/beta.
Yup, me too. I've been playing MMOs since my early teen days. I'm planning to play all Destiny 2, Anthem, and The Division 2. Bring them on.

Loot is in my blood.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Yeah they really made an effort to make it look like shit /s

The goddamn video has "E3 Best Action Game Winner" in the title. Obviously opinions and all, but why even bother posting this crap without actual critique?
"E3 Best Action Game Winner" according to people who would be impressed by some keys being jangled on a string, the same people who showered Evolve and Spore with every award they could find.

Why even bother posting a reply like this if you're not going to address anything I said? Kindly go bother somebody who cares.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay loop is exactly as I suspected. I have no excitement for this game tbh.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
So many numbers coming out of enemies that I can barely see what they're actually shooting at.

I continue to be amazed at how well they're making this game look like shit. I mean, flying around and getting into fights in an Iron Man suit seems like it should be inherently fun. You really have to make an effort to fuck that up.

You can turn those numbers off.

Game looks great to me from what we've seen so far. I'm just worried about content, seems to be an issue with many of these types of games. That was the main reason I stopped playing Destiny 2 even though the gameplay was really fun. Let's hope Bioware can nail this.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
At least destiny's core combat is fun - this doesnt look like it is. Sure is pretty though

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Seeing the whole menu system between the forward base and the open world just tells me the story is gonna be dead.

How are you going to have any kind of urgency or climax in the plot if you have to go through that meny every time you go outside.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
"E3 Best Action Game Winner" according to people who would be impressed by some keys being jangled on a string, the same people who showered Evolve and Spore with every award they could find.
Also the same people who showered The Witcher 3, BOTW, Uncharted 4, etc with awards at E3. That argument goes both ways and useless.

Oct 30, 2017
"See those radiant pieces of energy? They're echoes from the Anthem of Creation. Return them to the relic. You've got to silence it fast."

Even the writing smacks of Destiny to me. I know I'm going to play this thing regardless, but lines like this don't inspire much confidence in terms of getting hooked by the story.

I'm sure we will be doing a lot of radiant delivery missions. You'll probably hear that line a lot.

Your right it sounds right out of destiny. It actually made me feel like it was destiny for a sec lol.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
10 pages so a fair amount of interest for the game. I don't think resetera has a Destiny bias as such, it's just all the fans "hide" in the OT, and all the down in the dumps people post in the gaming threads :-)

I'll be up for jumping in to anthem and seeing what it's like. Very difficult to tell about loot and longevity until you get quite deep into a game.

I agree that the gameplay looked slow, and not *that* skill based, but who knows what the other classes are like? A lot of people that played the demo were pleasantly surprised so hopefully it's got some magic "feel".

Roll on Feb 19!!

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
LOOKS awesome but I'm reserving my judgement for customization/loot video. Also, not sure about flying. It's no coincidence Blizzard restricts flying mounts on the release of every new WoW expansion. I fear flying will make us completely disconnected from the world :/
Now that you mention it, it could trivialise majority of encounters.

Unless they adapt modifiers like Grounded from destiny that made you take more damage when airborne

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Looks great to me,give me an option to turn off those numbers or make them the size of the smaller white ones that pop up,those big yellow ones are too much...why are they bigger though,indicates combo or critical hits I guess...?

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
incredible visuals, and incredibly boring gameplay.

hard to judge from a 20min demo but hope the story has some bioware magic at least.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Yup. Same as the people who played Evolve.

Okay, but looots of people were excited for Evolve. It wasn't like publications were going out on a limb there. People who played it at E3 booths loved it too. The issues became apparent after release. If you want to say, "Yeah people really like Anthem now, but it's not guaranteed to be great!" then that's a reasonable statement, I guess, but we can only go off what we have at this time.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
The boss fight looks nice but the way through doesn't look compeling in regards to the combat.
Also, they should have chose something else than spiders for the first show of their game.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strongholds are part of endgame, I never said they weren't? They are also part of the story and levelling process.

This particular play through isn't endgsme though, you can see from the mission select screen the difficulty is set to 'normal'. Usually endgame versions of ''dungeons" are at increased difficulty.

Also, as they are playing with a character of lower level through a 'tutoring' style level scaling, this implies it's the levelling process as usually endgame stuff is level gated behind max level (see Diablo rifts, Destiny Heroics, WoW mythics etc etc).

So yeah, not endgame....

You're confusing endgame with the "hard" parts of endgame. When people play Destiny and complete the campaign and reach lvl 30. They don't just immediately head into heroic and nightfall strikes and never do anything else.

Think back on your time playing Destiny (assuming you played at least one of them), pretty much anything you found yourself doing on a semi regular basis after reaching lvl 30 on your characters, be that rep grinding, daily missions, hunting ghosts, pvp, activites during patrol mode, normal/heroic/nightfall strikes, raids. Literally all of this falls under "endgame".

Strikes were the grouped pve portion of the endgame. And normal versions were the easy version of it. And Strongholds looks to be to Anthem what Strikes are to Destiny so far.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Gamble on Twitter:

"A few people mentioned that the gameplay demo looked a little easy. That footage was with pro BioWare players (our best) with high level gear. That was intentional so they didn't die during their 100 live demos. You will be challenged. You will be shot in the face a lot."

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Evolve was so fun, it's biggest problem was that you needed 5 people of perfectly balanced skilllevel or else either monster or hunters would be totally OP.
Still sad it died but i got my 100 hours out of it :(
I tried it after it went free-to-play. The balance was terrible. I had a 100% win rate as the monsters, even after 15 or so games as them.

Hunters had to be all coordinated and shit to have a chance while all the monster needed to know was, "Go for the support hunters first."

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
This really looks boring. I hope EA are making Titanfall 3. Or at least, I hope Respawn are doing something really cool. Cos this isn't doing anything for me.

Its Dead Jim

Jan 11, 2018
Ceti Alpha V
You're confusing endgame with the "hard" parts of endgame. When people play Destiny and complete the campaign and reach lvl 30. They don't just immediately head into heroic and nightfall strikes and never do anything else.

Think back on your time playing Destiny (assuming you played at least one of them), pretty much anything you found yourself doing on a semi regular basis after reaching lvl 30 on your characters, be that rep grinding, daily missions, hunting ghosts, pvp, activites during patrol mode, normal/heroic/nightfall strikes, raids. Literally all of this falls under "endgame".

Strikes were the grouped pve portion of the endgame. And normal versions were the easy version of it. And Strongholds looks to be to Anthem what Strikes are to Destiny so far.
No. Endgame activities are not just things you do at the end of the game. They are activities you do to progress your character now you are at max level.

You advance your character through gaining power, the only way to do that once at the cap is to get better gear. Better gear drops or is earned from Endgame activities.

If we assume Strongholds are equivalent to Strikes/Dungeons, I wouldn't run a normal Omnigul Strike, or a normal Gnomeregan Dungeon, if I'd just hit the cap. I'd do the first tier of Endgame activities such as an entry level Heroic for example.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
So in this thread we have a lot of people complaining about an easily modifiable UI issue. I'm assuming that everyone in this thread has actually played video games before and so would know that modifying UI settings through a menu is a relatively easy thing to do.

I don't understand anyone who thinks this looks boring. If nothing else it has actual class synergy through the combo mechanics, which is something it has over Destiny or The Division.

Jan 4, 2018
So in this thread we have a lot of people complaining about an easily modifiable UI issue. I'm assuming that everyone in this thread has actually played video games before and so would know that modifying UI settings through a menu is a relatively easy thing to do.

I don't understand anyone who thinks this looks boring. If nothing else it has actual class synergy through the combo mechanics, which is something it has over Destiny or The Division.

Yeah, the impressions on here are wildly different from elsewhere. Everyone I know at work that has seen this gameplay snippet can't wait for this game to come out.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I tried it after it went free-to-play. The balance was terrible. I had a 100% win rate as the monsters, even after 15 or so games as them.

Hunters had to be all coordinated and shit to have a chance while all the monster needed to know was, "Go for the support hunters first."
yep, the problem with evolve, especially at high skill levels, was that when all hunters were high skill, the monsters were actually underpowered but if even just one hunter wasn't up to snuff, the monster was usually OP

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
10 pages so a fair amount of interest for the game. I don't think resetera has a Destiny bias as such, it's just all the fans "hide" in the OT, and all the down in the dumps people post in the gaming threads :-)

Yep. Basically, people who actually play video games. So true.

I've realized that for many people, posting about video games is really their hobby.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. Endgame activities are not just things you do at the end of the game. They are activities you do to progress your character now you are at max level.

You advance your character through gaining power, the only way to do that once at the cap is to get better gear. Better gear drops or is earned from Endgame activities.

If we assume Strongholds are equivalent to Strikes/Dungeons, I wouldn't run a normal Omnigul Strike, or a normal Gnomeregan Dungeon, if I'd just hit the cap. I'd do the first tier of Endgame activities such as an entry level Heroic for example.

Just wanna point out that most of the things I mentioned advances your character in some way or offers some kind of progression, hence why people do them after reaching max level.

Also, given that everything can scale from lvl 1 to 30 in Anthem, it kinda means that any Stronghold will be able to serve as a lvl 30 stronghold, unlike something like Gnomeregan.

Anyway here's what the wowwiki lists as part of the endgame - http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/End-game
Covers everything from gear improvement, to rep grinds, leveling professions, pvp, achievement grinding

And here's the Guild Wars 2 wiki of "endgame" - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endgame
Mention a host of things under different overarching categories

People do all kinds of stuff once the leveling process is complete. A large part of it is character gear progression for sure. But there's pretty much always things not related to direct power that also serves as a big part of the endgame experience for people. In Destiny 1 you had the ghosts to hunt for and the cosmetic rewards to get. In WoW you got people spending far more time grinding achievements, farming transmog fear, mounts, pets for pet battles than the handful or hours it takes them to do the raid each week.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
Still not sold, but I think the game has insane potential and I'm excited to see more leading up to launch. With a PvE only focus the game SHOULD have a ton of content too, which has me most excited.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It looking boring has nothing to do with game or class synergy. If that's the vibe people get, no one should fault them. For that observation.

For now the gameplay loop seems to be very linear and limited, outside of class based possibilities.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
They try so hard to convince us that this isn't Destiny,but all I could think of when watching the video was Destiny.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
ERA: "This game looks boring and terrible."
*game releases*
The Press: "New Bioware/EA game Anthem breaks all records, sells insane amounts and is highest streamed game for 2 weeks on Twitch"

Every.
Single.
Time.

Its Dead Jim

Jan 11, 2018
Ceti Alpha V
Just wanna point out that most of the things I mentioned advances your character in some way or offers some kind of progression, hence why people do them after reaching max level.

Also, given that everything can scale from lvl 1 to 30 in Anthem, it kinda means that any Stronghold will be able to serve as a lvl 30 stronghold, unlike something like Gnomeregan.

Anyway here's what the wowwiki lists as part of the endgame - http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/End-game
Covers everything from gear improvement, to rep grinds, leveling professions, pvp, achievement grinding

And here's the Guild Wars 2 wiki of "endgame" - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endgame
Mention a host of things under different overarching categories

People do all kinds of stuff once the leveling process is complete. A large part of it is character gear progression for sure. But there's pretty much always things not related to direct power that also serves as a big part of the endgame experience for people. In Destiny 1 you had the ghosts to hunt for and the cosmetic rewards to get. In WoW you got people spending far more time grinding achievements, farming transmog fear, mounts, pets for pet battles than the handful or hours it takes them to do the raid each week.
You have a very liberal usage of the term "Endgame". Again, things to do at the end of the game is not "Endgame" content.

If Bungie suggested collecting dead ghosts was an endgame activity they'd be laughed out of town.

Its a term exclusively used for content to increase your characters power. Not for transmog, not for pets.

And back to the original point, a normal difficulty dungeon with a "tutored" level 1 group member is absolutely not endgame content.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
You have a very liberal usage of the term "Endgame". Again, things to do at the end of the game is not "Endgame" content.

If Bungie suggested collecting dead ghosts was an endgame activity they'd be laughed out of town.

Its a term exclusively used for content to increase your characters power. Not for transmog, not for pets.

And back to the original point, a normal difficulty dungeon with a "tutored" level 1 group member is absolutely not endgame content.
Hah, you couldn't be more wrong.

Part of the World of Warcraft endgame is grinding Reputation for faction specific rewards, be they mounts, battlepets/companions, toys, or cosmetic gear. This is something that you can only do once you reach max level (in Legion, especially, with mounts and what not being acquired from Emissary Quests that don't unlock into you hit 110).

Endgame isn't just stuff that gets you more and better gear.

qa_engineer

Dec 27, 2017
Having played it myself, I was pretty floored by the controls. The feeling of motion and flight is extremely well executed. Very curious to see how this turns out in the end.

Controls were the least of my concerns. Again buying this day one but hoping the game is more fun than it looked in that video.

No one seemed to take any serious damage or came close to dying. There was no real threat or need for close coordination outside of the combos. Gameplay I saw consisted of overpowered javelins hosing down seemingly weak enemies with all the bullets and combos. What happens when you lose all your health? Can you be revived or repaired? Does difficulty scale with level?

Edit: I do hope they keep this game pve only. I think pvp really fucked up balance in destiny. Exotics sometimes feel not so exotic.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Controls were the least of my concerns. Again buying this day one but hoping the game is more fun than it looked in that video.

No one seemed to take any serious damage or came close to dying. There was no real threat or need for close coordination outside of the combos. Gameplay I saw consisted of overpowered javelins hosing down seemingly weak enemies with all the bullets and combos. What happens when you lose all your health? Can you be revived or repaired? Does difficulty scale with level?
Seriously? It's a structured demo. Nobody ever plays a demo on the hardest difficulty setting. Never mind that you could see the player Javelin take hits and go "in the red".

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018

Edit: I do hope they keep this game pve only. I think pvp really fucked up balance in destiny. Exotics sometimes feel not so exotic.

I think my post above for Gamble's Tweet will alleviate some of your concerns. They intentionally gamed it so the players couldn't die (gave them high level equip, etc).

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I always think it's weird when people look at these little staged demos and take the numbers and time to kill and such at face value.

Its Dead Jim

Jan 11, 2018
Ceti Alpha V
Hah, you couldn't be more wrong.

Part of the World of Warcraft endgame is grinding Reputation for faction specific rewards, be they mounts, battlepets/companions, toys, or cosmetic gear. This is something that you can only do once you reach max level (in Legion, especially, with mounts and what not being acquired from Emissary Quests that don't unlock into you hit 110).

Endgame isn't just stuff that gets you more and better gear.
Sigh. Son I've been playing MMOs since Ultima.

Grinding Rep in itself is not an "activity" it's more of a tool to drive you into activities. Guess which activities give more rep? Yep, you guessed it, Endgame activities such as heroic dungeons and associated raids and world bosses.

You still have to have other things to earn from Endgame activities as the grind for power is finite.

Back to the point again however. We have not, as yet, seen any of Anthems endgame content (other than the Titan flyby) and therefore cannot make a judgement on it.

qa_engineer

Dec 27, 2017
I think my post above for Gamble's Tweet will alleviate some of your concerns. They intentionally gamed it so the players couldn't die (gave them high level equip, etc).

Yeah figured that was the case. I'm really hyped for this game but I think they've done a pretty medicore job of showcasing the gameplay thus far.