ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
You underestimate the power of the internet.

Five whole seconds?

I don't mean to diminish your entire point. I do agree that overall loading could be more seamless. Five seconds into the forge isn't something I ever even thought about. I'm reading all these comments where people are making it out to be some game breaking nonsense, "uninstalled!" and I'm just like 🤔 never really noticed it.
5 * the 100's or 1000's of times you will enter and exit the forge adds up to a lot of wasted time. Not to mention when you're in freeplay and pick up a new legendary and want to go put it on that's an extra 2 load screens on top of having to load out of FreePlay and back in afterwards. It feels bad and like I'm wasting precious seconds of my life that should have been optimised.
I would have used that particular rife paired with a shotgun/ assault rifle load out. I'm really early in the game so much of this makes no sense to me to begin with.
It didn't apply generally to your loadout, just to that single weapon, so the +shotgun on an AR was completely useless. They're changing that now but how it ever made it into the final game I'll never know.

As I've said before, BioWare wants to do right by Anthem from everything they've said. They are being proactive with the community and very open about the game's issues. They WANT to fix this game. The issue isn't BioWare in this case, it's EA who have final say on what happens to this project and how many resources they give for BioWare to get their ducks in a row. I'm not one of those people that think BioWare will be unceremoniously shuttered but they also don't need to be to seriously impact the future development of Anthem. Depending on how good the sales of Anthem are I could very well see BioWare being restructured and extra resources moved to different projects in the EA catalogue rather than chucking full support behind Anthem which could very much be seen as a big gamble.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
So they are fixing rolls like this one?

cLBLHio_d.jpg

That's a start.

They previously said that perks showing things like that was only a display issue and that the perks will still working. I don't know how old that image is, but that just dropped for me yesterday, and the orange text reads as it should. They also claimed that the "health bug" was only a display issue as well though...

The game released to the general public last Friday, and Bioware will have released two patches, and a loot fix, in less than a week. To me, that is encouraging, and bodes well for the future of the game.

The "full game" still released on the 15th. They've had more than a week to fix things that shouldn't have had to be fixed in the first place. So bravo them for listening to the beta feedback! Even when they do add the update, I'll be shocked if it doesn't come with its own host of bugs that are going to need patched as well. Watch the initial patch make it so that only inscriptions that don't help the items you get appear on them.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Other fixes coming today

Hey Freelancers,

This morning we will be deploying a patch with the following changes:

• The tethering timer for missions has been increased. Players should now have more time to catch up to their Squad before seeing a countdown timer.
  • The Swarm Tyrant encounter in the Tyrant Mine Stronghold can no longer be reset by the entire Squad exiting to the main menu and rejoining the session in progress.
  • Players are no longer able to reopen chests that have already been looted in Strongholds.

NOTE: This patch does not include the loot updates that were mentioned HERE last night. The loot updates will still roll out later today (Feb. 28) or tomorrow (Mar. 1).

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Other fixes coming today

Hey Freelancers,

• The tethering timer for missions has been increased. Players should now have more time to catch up to their Squad before seeing a countdown timer.
  • The Swarm Tyrant encounter in the Tyrant Mine Stronghold can no longer be reset by the entire Squad exiting to the main menu and rejoining the session in progress.
  • Players are no longer able to reopen chests that have already been looted in Strongholds.

NOTE: This patch does not include the loot updates that were mentioned HERE last night. The loot updates will still roll out later today (Feb. 28) or tomorrow (Mar. 1).
Welp there goes the chexploit. I still can't believe they banned people for using it lol.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Great news. I am so glad that they listen. The responses from Bioware on Reddit are also a nice thing.

I still have so much fun with the game since the launch last friday. I strongly believe that in 1-2 years we will laugh at the launch of Anthem, because the game is here to stay.

We shouldn't have to wait 1-2 years for that. It should be like that at launch, which seems to be something these GaaS titles don't get.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Other fixes coming today

Hey Freelancers,

This is hilarious to me. After they claimed to have relaxed the leash once already, it actually became way worse for me. I'll literally be the second in line of a group, and the leader will be just a few seconds ahead and I'll get the 8s window pop up. I even got it once when I was right next to someone as we were heading towards the final door of the Tyrant Mine. I was literally in the room you need to be in and the countdown started. None of that shit happened as frequently for me until they "fixed" it previously. Also since the "fix", mission waypoints have gotten kind of crazy. I'll randomly have two up at the same time, and sometimes I'll even have the yellow/purple scroll looking thing up at the same time.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is hilarious to me. After they claimed to have relaxed the leash once already, it actually became way worse for me. I'll literally be the second in line of a group, and the leader will be just a few seconds ahead and I'll get the 8s window pop up. I even got it once when I was right next to someone as we were heading towards the final door of the Tyrant Mine. I was literally in the room you need to be in and the countdown started. None of that shit happened as frequently for me until they "fixed" it previously.
Yeah hopefully it's better.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Realistically, what needs to be fixed in Anthem to make it worth a purchase? This was a big thing from AJ's review, but I know there's also:

- a lack of loot variety in design
- a lack of endgame content (this seems to be an issue in every GaaS title at first)
- the bugs

Anything else that's realistic? If your response is "the story", note that I said "realistic".

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I can see it changing. I remember seeing a post in the OT to a video where someone glitched into a Strider and it looked complete and had animations running etc. The Striders in the Story are places where you exit your Javelin and launch Javelins. I can see them adding 3-4 Striders in the world (spaced out) where you can land and go inside of them to change gear etc. Not saying it will happen, but based on how the Striders are supposed to be like, it is something they can add and I could see this being something available to those that reach 30.

The Striders are actually in some locations in Free play as you at times respawn on top of them It would not be impossible for them to make it where you can enter them to do gear changes.

i did this actually as well. It was really cool, had a workable bench and everything actually. You could access the forge, load in and out, i think it even had the store for crafting. It only happened once.....but i kept wanting to load into that instead of the hub. It was a really nice small compact area to access stuff.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
It's a loot game. It was a deliberate decision to include nonsensical cross-weapon inscriptions in the first place -- why? Padding for padding's sake? Don't tell me no one on the team realized that this was a possibility (Diablo 3, anyone?).

5 * the 100's or 1000's of times you will enter and exit the forge adds up to a lot of wasted time. Not to mention when you're in freeplay and pick up a new legendary and want to go put it on that's an extra 2 load screens on top of having to load out of FreePlay and back in afterwards. It feels bad and like I'm wasting precious seconds of my life that should have been optimised.
Probably due to the fact that I'm not hunting legendaries yet so I'm not exactly rushing back to the forge every few minutes. I'm not even on xb1x just an og xb1 and again it never really stood out as something major.

I think a better fix we could all agree on is to add an inventory screen during game play. Then you wouldn't even have to load back to the fort, then forge, then fort, map. Not sure how difficult that is to add but we definitely need that AND include a stat screen with it. WTF? How is there no overall stat screen?! In an rpg game!

Anyway yeah loading should be reduced dramatically overall as well. The forge screen never really stood out to me but sometimes the rest of the screens can take a bit. I do hope they sort that out by the time I start legendary hunting if it is how you say it is.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
This is hilarious to me. After they claimed to have relaxed the leash once already, it actually became way worse for me. I'll literally be the second in line of a group, and the leader will be just a few seconds ahead and I'll get the 8s window pop up. I even got it once when I was right next to someone as we were heading towards the final door of the Tyrant Mine. I was literally in the room you need to be in and the countdown started. None of that shit happened as frequently for me until they "fixed" it previously. Also since the "fix", mission waypoints have gotten kind of crazy. I'll randomly have two up at the same time, and sometimes I'll even have the yellow/purple scroll looking thing up at the same time.

The worst that happened to me is I got ported 4 times. It was the Matthias mission where you go back to the cave to do the puzzle. I loading in as the 2nd person on the team inside the cave and had 8 seconds to reach the guy was in the puzzle room up and and to the left. I got to the right up to the doorway before got ported... It ported me back to the start of the zone where you load in and I got another eight second timer.

Not only did this happen to me 4 times, but I saw it happened at least once to our 4th party member who joined while I was in this loop. (After the third time I just stopped trying to catch up)

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Realistically, what needs to be fixed in Anthem to make it worth a purchase? This was a big thing from AJ's review, but I know there's also:

- a lack of loot variety in design
- a lack of endgame content (this seems to be an issue in every GaaS title at first)
- the bugs

Anything else that's realistic? If your response is "the story", note that I said "realistic".

They need to make the store a lot better. Once people get their set of Masterworks and Elysium chests get introduced into the game, cosmetics are going to take a central role in grinding. Coin is going to become the central reason to grind, not gear (at least until new gear is introduced).

Currently the store has two armor sets that aren't all that enticing, an emote, a vinyl, and a few cosmetic materials. Currently it rotates with another set of the same. People need more reason to get into javelin personalization, and hopefully BW can do it.

Are they going to fix the story as well at some point?

The story is fine, it's just short. There are loads of interesting NPCs to talk to in Tarsis.

data

Oct 25, 2017
They previously said that perks showing things like that was only a display issue and that the perks will still working. I don't know how old that image is, but that just dropped for me yesterday, and the orange text reads as it should. They also claimed that the "health bug" was only a display issue as well though...

The "full game" still released on the 15th. They've had more than a week to fix things that shouldn't have had to be fixed in the first place. So bravo them for listening to the beta feedback! Even when they do add the update, I'll be shocked if it doesn't come with its own host of bugs that are going to need patched as well. Watch the initial patch make it so that only inscriptions that don't help the items you get appear on them.
I doubt it's a display issue especially with how none of the weapons on the vault are being fixed, only new weapons. At that point, I wouldn't risk using the old ones and just farm a new one in case I'm not actually getting any good bonuses

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Nice changes, I hope they continue to address the outstanding issues - well, I expect them to. I'm enjoying the game a lot, but it can be very frustrating at times because of the many issues.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
It really is out of control, I see it the same way. People always talk about the negative things but not the good things the game brings to the table.

When gameplay trailer are completely different than the finale game, people are allowed to talk negative and hate EA

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How so? It reads like the system they had in place was utter shit (because it was) and they are now at least attempting to have it make sense.

The initial system is incoherent, it wasn't just that it didn't work it felt like it had next to no thought put into it. Slapping some fixes on it is them trying to patch up a faulty unconsidered foundation. This doesn't make me think they have a solid view of how itemisation should work in the game. It doesnt feel like the system doesnt match their vision of it, it feels like they have no vision of it.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reads like your typical Diablo 3 early days patch notes. Seems like they don't have a clear vision and didn't do any testing when you have to do stuff like reduce your crafting costs by almost 50% or guarantee that your guns roll affixes.that actually do something for it. What a mess.

Can't wait for the paragon levels and 'stat sheet added' patch, so it can finally start resembling a 2012 game.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Taking my rental back this weekend. The flying and gameplay are solid everything else is mediocre to laughably bad. I'll get division 2 and swoop this in 6 months on the cheaps when its as it should have been at release lol.

Anthem: Mmo lite fuck up release round 3. From what ive seen if division 2 it may actually release in a good state...but I thought the same for destiny 1 AND 2, then Anthem and they all let me down. No pressure Massive :p

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for the paragon levels and 'stat sheet added' patch, so it can finally start resembling a 2012 game.

I don't see them reaching the state of D3: RoS for a long time, maybe in a year or two. Like you said, this is like reading early release D3 vanilla patch notes, so much design needs to be done before they're gonna get an item game that's actually interesting.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
How did these baffling design problems made it into the game in the first place?

It was rushed to market. From what we have heard the game people are playing was made in like 2 years. So previous thing we saw in 2017 was a complete different build, one that I do believe didn't have all the systems in place only base gameplay stuff. And even then the demo they showed wasn't live from what I understand.

Development has been a mess with this game from what reports say. So no surprise we are seeing issues in retail build. Sounds like there wasn't a lot of Q/A time. And that would be because everything we played in the demo was still within 2 years development. SO it was going to be janky, rough, with stats and things like that all over the place. Especially the loot system, and simple things like changing gear in a mission.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
It is good to see Bioware paying attention to the playerbase and hopefully this will be the first of many tweaks they put into the game in order for it to truly thrive. I just finished the game last night and I'm a stone's throw away from 30, so I'm in high hopes that they will put in the changes needed for the game to get to the expectations that were set for it.

Hopefully the next big update won't take too long too since it didn't really take long for many players to say that they finished up.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see them reaching the state of D3: RoS for a long time, maybe in a year or two. Like you said, this is like reading early release D3 vanilla patch notes, so much design needs to be done before they're gonna get an item game that's actually interesting.
Indeed, that's why I said it might resemble a "2012" game. Diablo 3 RoS is a 2014 game, but Bioware seemed to have not learned any lessons from it, so now they have to go through the same 2 year process launch Diablo did (which was an arduous nightmare of half balancing patches with no clear vision and infernal machine type band-aids btw).

But everyone here seems happy Bioware is so communicative, oh they talk so much, good on ya Bioware... so maybe they can get it done it a little bit faster this time, say in 12-18 months instead. Then again, Blizzard had to bring in fresh people with some kind of leadership and vision into the mix. Are there any of those left at Bioware? So, TBD.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Is it me, or this loot patch doesnt resolve absolutely nothing in the "interesting loot" departement??

The game is still piss pour on the number of interesting thing to farm...i don't care for a better 20% damage inscription in my samey shitty rifle...

Where are the unique weapons? Or the piece of armour for my javelin? Is better iscriptions really the best thing they can do after 7 years?

I'm kinda enjoying the game but i'm not gonna say good words on bioware or ea for this barebone patch with fix for a broken game at full price.

They are fast at reacting because they already know very well the shitty release state of the game and the many problems the game has...

Sorry if i'm not positive like some peoples here.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Not having a comprehensive stat page for a looter game with all these modifiers is a game development crime.

Like what? People are suppose to do napkin math rifgure out how many modifiers

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
All good changes that come much earlier than expected. The game still has plenty of issues that need to be addressed, some of which are just design implementation & bugs like that so hopefully they keep up the communication & fast turnaround.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that sure must be some 'fun' crunch time over there at Bioware. Always lovely to release a game that's clearly very far from ready and then engage full panic mode because what other choice do they have now? EA should not have released, whether it's Bioware 'own fault' by having some seriously troublesome production or not. As if crunching weren't bad enough, now they have to do it while facing very strong criticism day in and out.

And as people pointed out, even if there are going to be massive changes now, comparatively few people will get to play the game with those as they've already dropped out or aren't going to get it anymore in the first place.

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I just assumed if you had plus 10 damage with machine pistol on your assault rifle it meant that you would get that bonus if you happen to equip that weapon as your secondary.

Little gear icon means the item itself, little man icon means character-wide buff. So the fixes will stop you getting gear icon ones for irrelevant perks, everything will be either to boost the item itself or the build as a whole and not redundant.

So they are fixing rolls like this one?

cLBLHio_d.jpg

That's a start.

I thought anything with 0% modifiers was either working as it should but not displaying right (supposed to be fixed though - when did you drop that?) or it's due to the perks being game-breaking, so they temporarily disabled them (like the component I have for my Storm that was being massively exploited).

Good, I hope they keep it up. In a year or so, it might even be a game worth playing.
Yeah, you're not even trying to disguise it anymore - your backhanded compliment shtick has worn a little thin 2 weeks in... you also forgot to mention that we could be playing The Division 2 From Ubisoft for that 12 month period waiting to see if Anthem is actually worth playing and having a blast with our friends.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I did everything of side quests and stuff, so that did indeed help, but Im not even gonna bother looking up what "world events" are and those other things.

Freeplay is extremely boring for me.

"If this game is going to make me play it then I'll just have to quit now, that's too boring for me."

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yeah, you're not even trying to disguise it anymore - your backhanded compliment shtick has worn a little thin 2 weeks in... you also forgot to mention that we could be playing The Division 2 From Ubisoft for that 12 month period waiting to see if Anthem is actually worth playing and having a blast with our friends.

What would I be disguising? That I find Anthem a broken, boring mess? I don't think I ever tried to disguise that. I gave it a fair chance, it is what it is, I'll check it out again after some time when it might be different. You really don't need to have any agenda to see it this way.

Also yes, I enjoyed TD2 beta immeasurably more, but again, why would I disguise that? I also enjoy many other games and activities, would you like to hear about some? I really don't see what your point is aside from lashing out at anyone who doesn't worship at the altar of your most recently favorite game or something.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

i timed out how long it takes to start Destiny 2 Forsaken and get to the tower. Nearly 4 mins. I have 400hrs of playtime in D2. Try having some real problems

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
I'm planning on buying this to play as Ironman: The Light RPG.

What are the current problems with the story? Is it terrible? Meh?

I find the campaign, story and characters enjoyable; but I read every piece of crotex I can read so that may add to my experience about them. Having said they you simply are not buying the game for the story.

If you don't feel like you need to play this immediately, i would definitely advise waiting for a bit.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
i timed out how long it takes to start Destiny 2 Forsaken and get to the tower. Nearly 4 mins. I have 400hrs of playtime in D2. Try having some real problems
Not only is that dismissive and insulting, it also misses the point. You go back to the Tower in D2 (though I also never remember it taking me 4 minutes to get to the tower but I don't have D2 installed currently so can't test it.) less often then you do in Anthem and it's a single long load. I'm pretty sure it was explained in either the OT or Review Thread multiple times that the biggest issue for most people isn't the load TIMES, but the number of loads that brings the pace to a crashing halt.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Other fixes coming today

Hey Freelancers,

If they really were listening to the players and taking feedback into account they would get rid of the tethering system they have in place.

Honestly, it feels like when they developed this game, they were stuck in a cave and had no contact with the outside world.

Even then, some game design choices are eye rolling to say the least.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
the game needs CONTENT

Bigtime, in every aspect, and I'm not holding my breath. If you think about it, once you've played the game for let's say, 8-10 hours, you've already seen:

- Pretty much all the environmental variety you're gonna get
- Most of the mission structure you'll be repeating again and again
- Almost every enemy you will ever fight in the game
- Every gun type and model. Having the same model but oh this one has red fabric on it instead of blue is not variety
- Every special ability for your chosen javelin - the rest of the game you'll just be getting the same stuff, just slightly more powerful each increment

I know endgame masterworks have more interesting powers/synergies on them at endgame but I have yet to see one, I'm only level 26 but repetition fatigue has set in and I feel like I have basically seen 95% of what the game has to offer. Vanilla Destiny had a shit-ton more of this basic variety at launch.