• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
What are the numbers for base consoles? X and Pro seem to be solid. On the longish side but faster than BFV. Getting to the Forge takes 2-3 seconds, maybe? It needs to be basically invisible, though.

it's also the number of load screens , why compare BFV? if you play BFV for an hour , how many load screens will you get compared to an hour of Anthem?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how this screenshot fails to mention you can load straight into the forge after completing a mission. the game literally asks you if you want to go to either forge, social space or the tower.

Cx2E7fP.png

This kind of internet hysteria is so silly. are we really complaining about load times when end missions and starting missions? even destiny has that.
you dont get weapons, you get engrams in destiny. you have to take them back to get decrypted. I think only the raid drops are realtime. So technically Destiny will have the same amount of load screens to try a new weapon if you take the shortcut straight back to forge.

Now i get it, Destiny lets you carry more a lot more weapons and armor but this is a design decision. plenty of games, including the nigthfall mode in destiny, make you pick your gear before you start the game.

the EA Access bitching about it being anti consumer is beyond stupid. EA is letting you play their AAA games for 10 hours a week in advance for 5 lousy dollars. Or $30 for the whole year. This on top of letting you play pretty much every EA game ever released. Sony and MS charge $60, give you two old games a month, dont let you play all their AAA games for 10 hours, dont let you get early access, and Sony doesnt even allow EA access on the PS4. THAT is anti consumer. Letting you try their $100 million game for $5 for 10 hours is as pro consumer as it can be.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. Even if we don't count console players, 20-30 seconds loading screens four times in a row to try out a gun or build that you might not like is inexcusable.

2. Doesn't matter where you're testing it, the problem is the same.

3. Everything is wrong about this system, it's dumb and completely disrupt the flow of the game.

4. No problem with people trying out mid-mission. And they could offer a way to lock gear changes during Strongholds at certain difficulty levels to avoid people doing that on higher difficulties or especific activities.

Why are you defending this? Honestly.

Because it's a system that works and is employed by other successful loot games?

Monster Hunter: World:
  1. Beat a monster
  2. See your loot screen (no loading, unlike Anthem)
  3. Load back to the base
  4. Create new loadout with new weapon (no loading, unlike Anthem)
  5. Load into mission OR load into training area to test it
Warframe:
  1. Beat a level
  2. See your loot screen (no loading, and the loot screen stays up during the loading screen, which is something Anthem should absolutely do)
  3. Load back to your ship
  4. Create new loadout with new gear (you don't really get weapon drops in Warframe) (no loading, unlike Anthem)
I really like this system. It builds foresight and planning into the fabric of the game. So, IMO, Anthem needs to:
  • Let you do more during the "back to base" loading screen, even if it's just cycling through rewards from the mission
  • Reduce load times, esp. for getting to the Forge
  • Add a quick-loading training area
If you don't like the system, fine, but don't act like this is one of the boneheaded decisions Bioware made when it's a design championed by two of the best loot games on the damned market.

I love how this screenshot fails to mention you can load straight into the forge after completing a mission. the game literally asks you if you want to go to either forge, social space or the tower.
Ah, thanks. This is what I thought but I couldn't remember. I still want improvements, but yeah, there are at least ways to get into your loadout quicker.

Deleted member 34385

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Those loyal people screwed themselves over. The launch of most of these online only games this gen have not been great. When will people learn?
this this this this. this is the reason i stopped pre-orders and day 1 buys this gen. i wait 3 months, games drop 50% in price and have all the patches and updates...no longer does it make sense to buy any game early

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the game had a proper amount of development time we wouldn't even be seeing half of these fixes.

Any word on the download size of the update?

The game was in development for six, years, if not even longer than that. They just couldnt do it, its not a matter of time. What we have now can get more stable, but I doubt it can get a lot better.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Most people will be playing on consoles with 5700 RPM hard drives.

Why are you defending this crap?
1. Even if we don't count console players, 20-30 seconds loading screens four times in a row to try out a gun or build that you might not like is inexcusable.

2. Doesn't matter where you're testing it, the problem is the same.

3. Everything is wrong about this system, it's dumb and completely disrupt the flow of the game.

4. No problem with people trying out mid-mission. And they could offer a way to lock gear changes during Strongholds at certain difficulty levels to avoid people doing that on higher difficulties or especific activities.

Why are you defending this? Honestly.

Having a differing opinion does not mean I'm defending anything. I have Anthem on early access and have already stopped playing it because I don't find it to be particularly fun, so I've got absolutely no reason to "defend' it.

I personally don't like trying out different weapons mid-mission. It breaks the flow of the game for me. If there were a better solution, such as auto equipping upgrades, or some kind of quick menu, it would work better. Having to go through menus to equip something new, so that you can decide whether or not you like it, then possibly going back to change it, is not something that's fun to do while trying to complete a mission.

EDIT: And for those on consoles, the first line of the patch notes addresses load times for slow disk drives.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's a system that works and is employed by other successful loot games?

1. Beat a monster
  3. Load back to the base
Warframe:
  1. Beat a level
  2. See your loot screen (no loading, and the loot screen stays up during the loading screen, which is something Anthem should absolutely do)
  4. Create new loadout with new gear (you don't really get weapon drops in Warframe) (no loading, unlike Anthem)
I really like this system. It builds foresight and planning into the fabric of the game. So, IMO, Anthem needs to:
  • Let you do more during the "back to base" loading screen, even if it's just cycling through rewards from the mission
If you don't like the system, fine, but don't act like this is one of the boneheaded decisions Bioware made when it's a design championed by two of the best loot games on the damned market.

Ah, thanks. This is what I thought but I couldn't remember. I still want improvements, but yeah, there are at least ways to get into your loadout quicker.

The problem is that in Destiny or Warframe or MHW, you can just access your inventory in the hub. The Forge takes a silly amount of time (for what is an inventory) to load. If it wasn't yet another load screen from Tarsis or the bay or the mission launch screen, it would be fine. The issue is that it takes 2 extra load screens (in and out) to do anything gear related.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just off the top of my head, they could make the loot screen of the endmission the loading screen. While it shows what you got and you are dismantling stuff you dont want, the game can load on the background. When you are done, you press ok and you are on fort Tarsis or another location you want.

My god I am starting to get angry today with this game. I guess its delayed frustration of my time with it.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
The problem is that in Destiny or Warframe or MHW, you can just access your inventory in the hub. The Forge takes a silly amount of time (for what is an inventory) to load. If it wasn't yet another load screen from Tarsis or the bay or the mission launch screen, it would be fine. The issue is that it takes 2 extra load screens (in and out) to do anything gear related.

Maybe it's SSD, but my forge takes like 2 seconds to pull up. Screen fades to black for a second and then I'm looking at my javelin to change my loadout.

I feel like it isn't any slower or faster than opening my inventory in Destiny, so I'm not sure why we're acting like that particular load screen is the deal breaker here. All the other load screens are slow and awful, but that one just seems like something silly to complain about from my experience.

Maybe it is slow as shit on HDD or console, but every single console player I've ever seen has bitched about how slow Destiny's inventory screen is to pull up, so again, not sure how we can champion Destiny as a good example when it is also takes 30 seconds or more to bring up an inventory screen.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's SSD, but my forge takes like 2 seconds to pull up. Screen fades to black for a second and then I'm looking at my javelin to change my loadout.

I feel like it isn't any slower or faster than opening my inventory in Destiny, so I'm not sure why we're acting like that particular load screen is the deal breaker here. All the other load screens are slow and awful, but that one just seems like something silly to complain about from my experience.

Maybe it is slow as shit on HDD or console, but every single console player I've ever seen has bitched about how slow Destiny's inventory screen is to pull up, so again, not sure how we can champion Destiny as a good example when it is also takes 30 seconds or more to bring up an inventory screen.

I've played Destiny 1 and 2 on console, 2 on PC, and Anthem on the same PC. I can say that the experience of loading through stuff is definitely the worst on Anthem out of all these.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Really, I do not understand why even releasing an Early Access version.
I totally understand the EA business model: pay for a game in development, having access while it's developing until the final release, see how it evolves.
With Anthem you only get a buggy game which will probably be better later on. There's no point.

Blyr

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing for a week already, reinstalling right now hoping it fixes some of the crashes and load issues I've been experiencing (longer than normal, apparently reinstalling helps, only one way to find out)

this patch is huge and incredible, kind of a bummer we played for so long without it- but then, it's whatever, atleast the QoL changes will be significantly more noticeable? Silver lining :p

Major changes I want to see going forward are load directly to the mission screen after completing a mission, instead of loading into fort tarsis (you can load into the play hub thing but I don't want to load into any other zones- I just want to load directly to the screen and keep running missions!)

text chat should also be a priority, for the love of god how is this not a thing on the pc of all places

outside of that, some qol changes that will surely come + more content, but this is a good start

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the same page as you. They need to address the load times.

Really, though, there are baffling design decisions in MH:W, some more egregious than Anthem, IMO. You can't even do co-op with a friend until they finish a mission first on their own (well, you can join on them RIGHT when they encounter the monster in each level). Their "social hub" has all the vendors you need...except the smithy, where you spend a ton of your time. You have to load into the social hub from the separate, SP-only lower hub...it's very strange. Let alone mention of their horrible UI and confusing multiplayer menus/options.

MH:W was also a game that, in those aspects, made me think "why are you reinventing something that doesn't need reinventing?". It's weird that a company has yet to really make a "complete package" loot game.

it's also the number of load screens , why compare BFV? if you play BFV for an hour , how many load screens will you get compared to an hour of Anthem?

Depends on if it crashes on me or not or gives me a black screen or the map changes, or I even want to quit the game. Quitting the game in BFV feels like one of the longest load times on consoles right now.

Tezu

Oct 25, 2017

1. Beat a monster
  3. Load back to the base
Warframe:
  1. Beat a level

I don't, but I played a TON of Warframe and although I didn't like the system, it was fast enough that it was never a real issue for me.

But I do agree with you about what they could do to improve it. I was wrong for blaming the system as a whole, since my major issue are the excessive amount of loading screens, sorry.

I also saw someone suggesting a forge at every strider on Freeplay. Since it's a more "do your own thing" activity, I found it was a great way to test different builds and guns.

Having a differing opinion does not mean I'm defending anything. I have Anthem on early access and have already stopped playing it because I don't find it to be particularly fun, so I've got absolutely no reason to "defend' it.

I personally don't like trying out different weapons mid-mission. It breaks the flow of the game for me. If there were a better solution, such as auto equipping upgrades, or some kind of quick menu, it would work better. Having to go through menus to equip something new, so that you can decide whether or not you like it, then possibly going back to change it, is not something that's fun to do while trying to complete a mission.

EDIT: And for those on consoles, the first line of the patch notes addresses load times for slow disk drives.

But you're not obligated to change anything mid-mission. If you get something, just finish your activity and look/change your gear after the fact. That's a choice, and I respect it. What is not so great is locking this behind so many loading screens.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
I've played Destiny 1 and 2 on console, 2 on PC, and Anthem on the same PC. I can say that the experience of loading through stuff is definitely the worst on Anthem out of all these.

Definitely for getting in and out of missions, but the Forge load (for me) is so fast I'd miss it if I blinked.

Destiny does have weird issues loading into the tower sometimes where it hangs and takes like 5 damn minutes, but otherwise the loads are pretty snappy on PC.

And while the forge load times (in my experience) aren't that different from D2 inventory, they are still restricted to just Ft Tarsis. I can also swap gear in Destiny via 3rd party apps thanks to the API.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
If you try playing anthem on an lg oled it defaults to dolby vision and the screen goes black. This needs to be fixed.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also saw someone suggesting a forge at every strider on Freeplay. Since it's a more "do your own thing" activity, I found it was a great way to test different builds and guns.
Oh yeah, I would love this.

Kinda related: there is no way to quick travel, right? Outside of going back to Tarsis and picking a different Freeplay spawn point? If that's so (I couldn't find a way to quickly get across the map other than haphazardly flying/navigating), it would be great if we could at least use Striders to teleport to/from. It's a bummer to load into freeplay and see that your (randomly matched) squad is on the other end of the giant map.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the same page as you. They need to address the load times.

Really, though, there are baffling design decisions in MH:W, some more egregious than Anthem, IMO. You can't even do co-op with a friend until they finish a mission first on their own (well, you can join on them RIGHT when they encounter the monster in each level). Their "social hub" has all the vendors you need...except the smithy, where you spend a ton of your time. You have to load into the social hub from the separate, SP-only lower hub...it's very strange. Let alone mention of their horrible UI and confusing multiplayer menus/options.

MH:W was also a game that, in those aspects, made me think "why are you reinventing something that doesn't need reinventing?". It's weird that a company has yet to really make a "complete package" loot game.

Depends on if it crashes on me or not or gives me a black screen or the map changes, or I even want to quit the game. Quitting the game in BFV feels like one of the longest load times on consoles right now.

I mean, Diablo 3 and PoE have solved many of the problems of loot games, they're both great in any of these areas that are frustrating in these games. It seems like these shooter/RPG devs just need to learn from what these two games have been doing for years (and decades for Diablo)

Jun 1, 2018
Technically no one was able to "buy" the game. You paid for subscription service that give you early access to the game, but you don't own the game. As soon as you stop paying subscription fees you no longer have the game. It's a perk of EA Access and Origin Premier to play early and while I agree the game should have had the patch already, people are really acting entitled when at most $15 was paid.
Doesn't matter how much you pay

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
How about: find loot, equip loot on the spot. You know, like Diablo, PSO, POE, GD, etc. Even MMOs are not that bad with inventory.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Cx2E7fP.png

No it doesn't, they go straight to the Forge after the mission. It says right there. There's a loading screen between the mission results and the Forge.

Everything there is accurate.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a metaphorical sense, if Anthems final score reaches an average of 6 or something, they could have get it to at least a 7 if they didnt choose to release the game at this state and pushed it to the "early" access being on the 22 with the patch.

Tezu

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I would love this.

Kinda related: there is no way to quick travel, right? Outside of going back to Tarsis and picking a different Freeplay spawn point? If that's so (I couldn't find a way to quickly get across the map other than haphazardly flying/navigating), it would be great if we could at least use Striders to teleport to/from. It's a bummer to load into freeplay and see that your (randomly matched) squad is on the other end of the giant map.

No there isn't :(

And that's a great ideia. They should user those striders for things like this.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It raises an issue about reviews. The press copies provided have been the non-patched version and it's likely that many reviewers will have completed the game before this patch comes out. When the embargo was set around day one, is it really reasonable to ask reviewers to base their reviews around this patch instead of the code provided to them in advance?

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
It raises an issue about reviews. The press copies provided have been the non-patched version and it's likely that many reviewers will have completed the game before this patch comes out. When the embargo was set around day one, is it really reasonable to ask reviewers to base their reviews around this patch instead of the code provided to them in advance?
Best case scenario, reviewers get a list of know issues that are getting fixed day one, so they can take it into account in their reviews. They usually don't have time to replay the game after the patch is out.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Ctrl+F "CPU", "processor"...

:(

They are not really thinking about fixing this heavy CPU usage issue?

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Best case scenario, reviewers get a list of know issues that are getting fixed day one, so they can take it into account in their reviews. They usually don't have time to replay the game after the patch is out.
EA has sent a note to reviewers with the changes, but they've also asked in that note for reviewers to play the version with the day one patch before publishing their reviews.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
What is even the point of paying to play early if you don't get the "Day 1 patch" until the regular release date?

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
Day 1 patches are a joke. Especially for titles like this that have had betas and demos to highlight problems, often released way too late to address them.
You can't have a day 1 patch when your game doesn't release on one day

First impressions mean everything and If your first impression of a game, on "release date" is an xxGb patch load screen/download then that's pretty shitty. Especially if said download takes hours ( and is still buggy after)

It's made worse in this case, and other titles like battlefield and so on when people pay for the privilege of playing early: and get a worse experience becuse it's a bug riddled mess. battlefield is worse because if you decide to "wait till it's fixed", then you'll join at a time where everyone else is a much higher level with better gear and just dominating.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
I am genuinely surprised EA didn't put ads in the load screens, cause they can literally sell that space for a full 2 minute movie trailer and there are shit ton of them in the game. They will probably made more in ad revenue than from sales of the game itself.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
No it doesn't, they go straight to the Forge after the mission. It says right there. There's a loading screen between the mission results and the Forge.

Everything there is accurate.
I don't think it is, or it's misleading anyway. There's a single loadscreen between the mission report and the forge, and that's it. You don't have to 'travel' to the forge after a mission. Then from the forge, you exit right next to your Javelin to start a new mission.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I sense a strong push in the future to "release" a game a week early, tell reviewers the "proper" release is a week later, and to hold off on reviewing it until 7 days have passed... 7 days of technically having the game on sale, with in-game microtransactions, and a lack of proper reviews one way or the other. And if anybody reviews that "early" version of the game, they'll just say it's not the launch version. "Day 1 patches will fix it by launch. Go ahead and spend your money. Here's a list of all the things that'll be addressed by then. You can trust US."

I forget which interview it was with a developer saying the launch week was one of THE most important release windows for both a game and its DLC. Trying to downplay any flaws however possible to maximize profits in that window isn't something I'd put beyond any publisher.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it is, or it's misleading anyway. There's a single loadscreen between the mission report and the forge, and that's it. You don't have to 'travel' to the forge after a mission. Then from the forge, you exit right next to your Javelin to start a new mission.

By travel, I just read it as "go to", as in, press the button and go there. Your character is travelling to this place.

The text is focused on the number of times the game loads and it gets that right.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I sense a strong push in the future to "release" a game a week early, tell reviewers the "proper" release is a week later, and to hold off on reviewing it until 7 days have passed... 7 days of technically having the game on sale, with in-game microtransactions, and a lack of proper reviews one way or the other. And if anybody reviews that "early" version of the game, they'll just say it's not the launch version.

I forget which interview it was with a developer saying the launch week was one of THE most important release windows for both a game and its DLC. Trying to downplay any flaws however possible to maximize profits in that window isn't something I'd put beyond any publisher.
The thing is that they haven't told reviewers that the proper version is coming seven days later. They provided the current version of the game as the version to review, then tried to change that a few days before because they saw the game was going to get bad reviews

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
EA has sent a note to reviewers with the changes, but they've also asked in that note for reviewers to play the version with the day one patch before publishing their reviews.
I mean they kinda have to make that request, but I see no reason for reviewers to feel obligated to respect it. The game came out last Friday, so its their own fault if the reviews speak to the experience and end-game they've played as the 15th final release provided.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
So no Console specific bug fixes!??

Also have they mentioned if they are going to include any audio clues that a party member is down and needs reviving??

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean they kinda have to make that request, but I see no reason for reviewers to feel obligated to respect it. The game came out last Friday, so its their own fault if the reviews speak to the experience and end-game they've played as the final release provided.
Yeah it's a difficult decision between writers and editors. I can say, though, that some publications (Digital Foundry have already said this publicly) are delaying their reviews or coverage because they decided the right version of the game to review was the version people would be playing on day one.