• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Demos are old builds, this one is from early December. The game has changed since then.

If you really believe that I have a copy of Mass Effect: Andromeda to sell you.

I'm a big BioWare-stan. But, after playing the VIP demo and now this open demo, I think this game's launch will be a disaster and the scores mediocre. The game is jack-of-all trades but a master of none. It has role-playing elements, but the barest of any BioWare RPG. Conversations options are always two choices and auto-dialogue is the norm. It's a loot shooter, but the loot all feels the same and the shooting is not as tight as Destiny. It's an open-world, but the open-world is barren, only missions provide real context and content.

Like, what is the game besides an inferior version of any other singularly focused game? It's a weak RPG, a mediocre shooter, a weak MMO; what is it good at?

I'm not a big Destiny fan, it has an absolute dogshit story. But, people enjoy it because the actual gunplay is super satisfying. It knows where its strengths are, what are Anthem's? And, the numerous glitches, bugs, and constant frame-rate hiccups tells me launch will not be pretty. I gave BioWare Edmonton a huge benefit of the doubt and didn't even count Andromeda against them since that was the C-team. But, they have no excuse for the mess that will likely be Anthem. They are the A-Team and were given 6 years to develop this game, it even got delayed. EA can't be blamed for this one.

Just give me a proper Dragon Age 4 and stop trying to make Online/MMO-type experiences.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Long post incoming! I feel like i'm playing a different game to most people here, as I'm having a ton of fun. However, I'm also not having the performance issues that are plaguing a lot of people so that no doubt helps a lot. I'm playing on a i7-7700k, 16gb ram, 6gb 1060 Strix and it looks good and runs well, bugs aside. Also using a controller since I've heard so much bad stuff about the KB/M controls, though I'll try using the updated KB/M at launch. Mostly playing Ranger with a smattering of the Storm. Didn't gel with the Colossus at all and haven't found the right build for Interceptor yet.

Pros:
Combat feels amazing, with the manoeuvrability of flying, hovering and the dash i'm zipping around everywhere constantly. Using abilities as much as possible and shooting only when they're on CD. Staying on the ground and playing it like a traditional third-person shooter is Doing It Wrong, and I suspect a lot of the posts of "I played it for 10 minutes and it's boring" are from people who are Doing It Wrong. This is subjective of course, but I really think the 'loot-shooter' label is giving people the wrong idea. The shooting are the auto-attack canapes, the abilities are the main course of combat.

All the javelins feel and play very different and with the various gear options I can see there'll be a ton of viable different ways to play at higher level. First GaaS where I actually feel like the classes are more than just minor differences. I'm really excited to see how the masterworks will allow some crazy powers.

Love that everything has matchmaking and I won't be locked out of any content because my friend's aren't interested in the game.

Customisation is amazing, with huge variety of options, and that's with barely any different armours available to experiment with. Can't wait to play Dranthem. Really like that cosmetics are separate from gear so you don't have to look like a mutant of different styles because it's the most powerful combination, though I understand some people dislike their power not being represented visually.

Cons:
While it's more stable than last week with a lot less infinite loading screens, I'm still occasionally being kicked back to the start screen or unable to finish the stronghold because something is bugging out with the objectives or a door isn't opening. This better be fixed for launch or this game will not be received well at all.

Loading screens. Like lots of people have said, there's an abundance of loading screens in transitioning areas and it's tedious. I really hope this is reduced for launch.

The menu system is one of the worst I've ever used. Holy shit, it's so bad. Completely unintuitive and with loads of unnecessary steps. Just no Bioware, baby wot is u doin? Again, I really hope this is a placeholder version and it's improved for launch.

Other thoughts:

Sound. All sounds good to me, including weapons. The number of complaints about it is making me wonder if there's audio bugs I'm not getting? having said that, I've twice got the all audio being silenced bug that seems to happen to a lot of Frostbite games. Have to quit out and restart the whole game, and it's irritating as shit if it happens mid-stronghold. it was unbearable in Andromeda, better be fixed asap.

I think a lot of the complaints about the game being unbalanced are pretty hasty. We're playing a small slice of early game and I'd hope the balancing is around end game, not levelling.

The lack of tutorial is reallllly hurting the demo, as it throws us in the deep end with this obtuse UI and no attempt to explain the right way to play - see my earlier point about people Doing It Wrong.

Story, dialogue. Eh, hard to say from this small slice. Story has a bit of intrigue to it but again we're thrown in without context so it's hard to care. Dialogue is fine, usual video game nonsense. I'm a bit befuddled at a lot of the complaints about it - the number of games with actually good dialogue I can count on the fingers of one hand. What exactly are people expecting, Citizen Kane?

End game concerns. Impossible to say really without knowing what's in at launch, what the road map is, and speed of updates. Only three strongholds is definitely an eyebrow raiser but I'm reserving judgement until release. Though having said that, I think people have weird expectations about the amount of end game necessary. There are loads of games where you pay your $60 or local equivalent, play for 20-30 hours and bam, done forever. If you play this game for 100 hours and run out of endgame content then you're still definitely getting your money's worth, and that's not even counting whatever updates they have. There's no sub and all non-cosmetic DLC will be free (except possibly more javelins which is TBD) so it's not like you're continually paying more for the privilege of not enough endgame.

AI. Definitely a bit poor. I know it's a Diablo quantity over quality situation but still, bit dumb. I seem to recall hearing that the developers had found a bug in the AI in this build that they've fixed for launch but I can't remember where I heard that so can't verify.

Freeplay being disappointingly closed off. This I think is because lots of it is blocked off in the demo and doesn't reflect at all on how it's going to be in the full game. Being kicked back to loading screen with only 5 seconds grace time to turn around is irritating as shit though, what were they thinking having it work like this for the demo?

Fort Tarsis. While I agree that it's a bit lifeless at the moment, this will likely not be the case at release. You can't go places or talk to people that you will be able to in the full game, and the devs made a big deal on one of their videos or streams about how Tarsis changes and upgrades as you play the story. You can tell that it's a decaying backwater in the demo stage of the game, and I fully expect it be a more, bustling, dynamic place once the campaign is finished.

Last edited:

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even get into combat, I don't understand their menu, icons, UI, I press square? I press X? WTF how do I go on the playfield to play?

the NPCs at the hub have horrible animation and horrible lip synch

What do you mean you can't get into combat? Go to your javelin in Tarsis and hop in it then pick what you want to do on the map / difficulty and launch it.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even get into combat, I don't understand their menu, icons, UI, I press square? I press X? WTF how do I go on the playfield to play?

the NPCs at the hub have horrible animation and horrible lip synch
So the launch mission menu is a little bizarre. You have to back out of the mission selection before you can actually launch it. It makes no sense, but that's how it works. I figure by now though you've either figured that out or given up D:

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Every time I try to finish the stronghold I get disconnected when silencing the third relict. Will stick to the story missions.

Given my time with the demo this is a hard pass right now. Will wait a few weeks to see how the game is shaping up.

I´m on PC

Last edited:

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Like, what is the game besides an inferior version of any other singularly focused game? It's a weak RPG, a mediocre shooter, a weak MMO; what is it good at?
Exactly. But with all their talk about wanting this to be "the Bob Dylan of video games, that is talked about for years to come" they must have had some big ideas during all that time in pre-production. I really want to know why that ambition resulted in something so... tepid.

PapaDev

Oct 26, 2017
And do you? What's so open world about Anthem? Freedom to go anywhere? I can do that racing in Need for Speed Payback (a Frostbite game by the way) with as much interaction as we have in Anthem (read: none). Besides, Payback runs well and the map size is not even comparable to what we got with the Anthem demo.

*Facepalm*

Yeah... Let's leave it at that.

Oct 27, 2017
Is it worh playing this demo at all?
Otherwise i might remove it before i even played it. Waiting for a connection for forever makes me want to throw my controller at my screen.
Yes, if you want to see if the game is for you. The demo loaded fine for me last night. Unfortunately the rubber banding and horrible framerate issues still showed up (PS4 Pro).

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Quick question. The games just randomly crashes and shuts down for me after some playtime.
More likely my PC (quite powerful and otherwise rock stable) or issues with the demo?

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
dude, the UI makes no sense, I am looking at the map, it Press an icon on the map,... nothing... I press difficulty.. okay but there is no launch button.

I just shut off my PS4
You have to look in the bottom right to see which button to click to launch. Clicking a/x over and over just reselects the mission.

It's some of the worst menu design I've experienced since BotW. Even worse than MHW lol

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed my time with the ranger. There was some rubber banding but nothing terrible. On to Storm now... I also spent way too much time on Fashion Anthem

Oct 30, 2017
I played the game for about 5 min and its garbage.

Ugh, what are they thinking. I watched an YouTube video of a guy complaining about Anthem, and now... I hate anthem. Not even gonna try the demo.

Haven't touched the controls, but wow does it look floaty and boring.

Era hates anthem so I'm gonna boot it up for 10 minutes to see how much I hate it too!

My screen stuttered.

Preorder canceled!

obviously there's valid criticism of the game happening in the thread. There's definitely issues with the game and I appreciate all the comments that leave constructive criticism. But there's some lazy or just ridiculous posts out there.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is there a known bug of getting stuck in the victory screen? I see the 4 Javelins and the XP rewards and then... nothing. Does that mean I need to restart and lose all the loot I've got?

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
There is one thing I hope changes and that's how they show the world quests, really weird to not know where to go and get them, I understand you gotta find it but how are others supposed to know if I encounter one? I do like how the world quests open new "areas". Really cool.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
I'm seeing a ton of Youtube coverage for this game, but only PC footage. They really could have shown some of the current console build if it's supposedly so much better than the current demo. The fact they're keeping the console version hidden is quite worrying.
Console performance is pretty bad by the sounds of it. I'm playing an Xbox One X and it feels horrible, if the game was 60fps I think I'd be able to enjoy it more. Don't make a game with quite fun movement and make it juddery as fuck it makes it even more painful. Looks wise, eh, it looks like I expect a AAA game with loads of money pumped in it to look, although it looks absolutely nowhere near that initial demo.

Played through the mission again, as I said above, if it was smoother I could enjoy it more but as it is all the potential for fun which comes from the movement is just squandered because when I move about too quickly the judder is giving me a headache. Also that puzzle at the end is absolutely terribly designed.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For a bit of positivity I'm having a lot of fun with it. Not going to hard on the demo this weekend because I'm ready for launch but this definitely confirmed my buy.

Totally understand why people might not like it, but all I wanted was a loot shooter with Mechs and ability spam and I got it. I've gone in day one on games that launched in a rough state before, and never regretted it. It's fun to be there in the ground floor while the game develops around you. I can't blame anyone who thinks that's a bad investment but I enjoy it. I did in Division, For Honor, and TESO.

Oct 27, 2017
I got a message on my screen last night that someone was dead (I was in freeplay) and I needed to res them. I had no idea where they were. 5 minutes later I get a message on my PS4 from the dead guy asking me please to res him. Why in the hell is a mechanic this terrible in the game? I can see if you want to restrict self-res in a raid or other high level event, but to do so in Freeplay? That's moronic.

ds8k

Dec 22, 2018
Looks like this game is very CPU-bound as it runs like trash on my i5 4690k with a GTX 1080. Guess it's finally time to look into a new processor.

Is it just me or is the menu system kind of bad? It doesn't feel very intuitive, like I had a problem launching that first mission. Not like it mattered much as both times I tried launching it I got kicked out to the main menu.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. But with all their talk about wanting this to be "the Bob Dylan of video games, that is talked about for years to come" they must have had some big ideas during all that time in pre-production. I really want to know why that ambition resulted in something so... tepid.

Same.

Casey Hudson leaving at the time might have been a part of it. But, I think the real problem is that BioWare has been repeatedly trying to incorporate their strong storytelling background into an online experience. But, so far it has yet to work. You either get a really weak RPG/storytelling experience because of the need to incorporate other players or a weak online experience that would've worked better as a SP RPG.

SWTOR suffered big because of this to the point where they've near abandoned the illusion the game is an MMO. SWTOR is a great SP RPG, it's a terrible MMO.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
The hubtown is so bizzare. Can you really not sprint or jump? Why would they just rob the game of mobility like that for something you are supposed to I assume use often. It's terrible.

Duck-Zilla

Feb 21, 2018
First impression on PC (i7 3770, 8GB RAM, 980ti) played 20 minutes simply flying around and killing mobs.
  • The HUB is lifeless, everyone's standing around not talking and not doing anything. It just feels uninteresting to me and the abysmal performance doesn't help.
  • Flying with Mouse + Keyboard is really bad. There's some sort of Acceleration or Deadzone to the mouse when flying and makes it really hard. Gamepad is fine thought.
  • Graphics might be great at High/Ultra but the performance is so bad I had to scale everything down to Medium to have something playable. And Medium doesn't look that great TBH. Considering this is Frostbite engine (I'm playing BFV at Ultra on 64 Player server and performance is great), Anthem's really rough looking. Also, even if I disable Motion Blur it stays activated...
  • Enemies are massive bullet sponge, especially the bigger ones. Basically fly around them, empty all of your Ammo, Rocket & Grenades on them, rinse and repeat.
  • I had 1x Unable To Connect Error and 1x CTD while loading the game in 20 minutes.
Seems really rough to me, feel's more like Early Access/Beta than Demo. It'll definitely be a pass for me especially a 80$ Canadian LOL.

EA Games last few years offerings have been such disappointment: Battlefront II, Need for Speed, Battlefield V, Anthem, Mass Effect, Mirror Edge Catalyst. None of them really stands out as great. Just average games...

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The hubtown is so bizzare. Can you really not sprint or jump? Why would they just rob the game of mobility like that for something you are supposed to I assume use often. It's terrible.

yeah this is probably one of my biggest gripes, it's as if they want you to take it all in so they limit your mobility. unfortunately it's so goddamn lifeless that it makes it even worse.

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah in town all I ever think is why can't I run and jump. I think they should just completely replace the town and make it online friendly where everyone can be there jumping around with each other lol. But I not sure what kind of story missions might prevent having a online connected hub.

I got a message on my screen last night that someone was dead (I was in freeplay) and I needed to res them. I had no idea where they were. 5 minutes later I get a message on my PS4 from the dead guy asking me please to res him. Why in the hell is a mechanic this terrible in the game? I can see if you want to restrict self-res in a raid or other high level event, but to do so in Freeplay? That's moronic.

Lol yeah, the free play isn't all that great and finding people shouldn't be that hard. I also want them to allow me to add a waypoint on the map. Something that notifies everyone because trying to work together is impossible right now in that mode.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another very cool thing about this well-crafted game is that when you go to "controlling your Javelin" in the obtuse menu system it just takes you to EAs website on some type of in-game web browser, but the page doesn't load. Top stuff.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
First impression on PC (i7 3770, 8GB RAM, 980ti) played 20 minutes simply flying around and killing mobs.
  • The HUB is lifeless, everyone's standing around not talking and not doing anything. It just feels uninteresting to me and the abysmal performance doesn't help.
  • Flying with Mouse + Keyboard is really bad. There's some sort of Acceleration or Deadzone to the mouse when flying and makes it really hard. Gamepad is fine thought.
  • Graphics might be great at High/Ultra but the performance is so bad I had to scale everything down to Medium to have something playable. And Medium doesn't look that great TBH. Considering this is Frostbite engine (I'm playing BFV at Ultra on 64 Player server and performance is great), Anthem's really rough looking. Also, even if I disable Motion Blur it stays activated...
  • Enemies are massive bullet sponge, especially the bigger ones. Basically fly around them, empty all of your Ammo, Rocket & Grenades on them, rinse and repeat.
  • I had 1x Unable To Connect Error and 1x CTD while loading the game in 20 minutes.
Seems really rough to me, feel's more like Early Access/Beta than Demo. It'll definitely be a pass for me especially a 80$ Canadian LOL.

EA Games last few years offerings have been such disappointment: Battlefront II, Need for Speed, Battlefield V, Anthem, Mass Effect, Mirror Edge Catalyst. None of them really stands out as great. Just average games...
Yeah, the blur is still on even though it's turned off in the settings. Perhaps there's an additional layer of blur in the game. Here's a pic I took.
3VrObM8.jpg

Regarding bullet sponge enemies, you're not supposed to empty your clips at them. This is not Destiny/The Division/Warframe. Use your skills, but utilize the primer and detonator combo. You can take half of an armored enemy's health with a single combo. With the help of a teammate, it should be down in seconds.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand how you go from Mass Effect 3 to this... what the fuck happened over there. For real

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
Finally was able to play it since today the game actually connected to the servers. Finished the big mission and I'll try to play some more to unlock the other javelins.

My overall impressions:
- the gameplay and gunplay are really fun and well done, which was my biggest surprise because nothing indicated that would be the case. This a game you have to play it so you can feel how fun it actually is.
- it's a very pretty game (not as pretty as the reveal, though), but sometimes there's so much stuff exploding in the screen at the same time that I get lost.
- the performance leaves a lot to be desired. I can't understand why the game can't run at locked 30 FPS inside the city and during the missions I encountered a lot of frame drops and stuttering. Played on the PS4 Pro and I would like an option to lock to 30 FPS at 1080p.
- there's a lot of loading screens in this game, which is also bad. And there are loading screens DURING the missions and they come out of nowhere, which is jarring, to be honest. Reminds of a Bethesda game where every building has a loading screen.
- the world building is A+, as is the voice acting and characters. I'm very interested in discovering more about the lore and story.
- the UI is kind of a mess, but it's not as bad as Mass Effect Andromeda. They should have copied Destiny's "mouse cursor" and called the day.

It's a fun game and I can see it has a lot of potential, BUT it clearly is one of those that you should wait a few months to play it. I think this is true to 90% of the games that are released nowadays, but in Anthem is even clearer that in a 6 month period it will be a lot better: more content, the performance will (hopefully) be better, they will change the game mechanics etc.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
Yeah, the blur is still on even though it's turned off in the settings. Perhaps there's an additional layer of blur in the game. Here's a pic I took.

Regarding bullet sponge enemies, you're not supposed to empty your clips at them. This is not Destiny/The Division/Warframe. Use your skills, but utilize the primer and detonator combo. You can take half of an armored enemy's health with a single combo. With the help of a teammate, it should be down in seconds.

Yeh, enemies go down quick for me when you combo, it's pretty satisfying too.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still have not been able to complete the stronghold after multiple attempts last weekend and now this weekend.

This is ridiculous.

Crashes. Getting stuck in the environment. The infinite load screen just happening randomly while playing too not even on load. Literally in the heat of battle and it pops up. Freezes and more.

I'm getting Fallout 76 flashbacks.

Oh yeah and lotsssss of rubber banding. That giving me Battlefield 4 flashbacks.

This game is not ready.

May 9, 2018
Performance on my PC is not good, even on low graphics settings. The gameplay is kinda fun, but I feel it's a huge design mistake that you automatically fall to the ground when flying into any obstacle. Kills the flow of flying.

On a positive note, to my surprise, I feel like the writing and world-building in this game actually has good potential. Not gonna spoil anything, but the effect of the item you bring back to Mathias in the first mission... goddamn hilarious! I did NOT expect anything like that to happen. I love when games can make me laugh out loud, and this was the last game game I expected to succeed in that.

Dragonelite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seems like the servers seem more stable with this open demo event.

But i really hope they do something about loot drops make them appear directly in my stash please.
Half way in a dungeon 2 party members leave, then i and some else keep on struggling.
Now i lost 4 blues because some randoms left the dungeon.

Feb 3, 2018
I've played anthem and know next to nothing about the other titles. Kojimas name alone doesn't get me excited about a game and he's shown nothing to get my attention. Cyberpunk has no release window and and tlou2 is on ice until i know that e3 video is what I'll get during my playthrough.

That's fair I just really doubt it will become a GOTY title these kinds of games rarely do and we are still very early in the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.