• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Just announced on EA Play. It'll have paid cosmetics, but you'll know exactly what it is you're buying, and none of them will be tied into gameplay.

EA really does seem to have learned their lesson.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Companies are 100% going to copy the Fortnite system, which makes perfect sense.

Oct 25, 2017
This is great news but it's so sad that we've gotten to the point where an announcement like that gets a crowd cheer.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's pathetic that we're in a time where this news deserved an applause. But good on EA for not doing it again though, certainly am much more interested in the game again.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After they (by which I mean EA) risked lootboxes getting banned in Europe, I am not surprised that their publicly distancing themselves in their non-Sports games.

They're basically financed by the lootboxes in said Sports games they absolutely don't want to risk further legal trouble.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Tomorrow:

"Here at Bungie, we feel it is important to listen to the players. We have heard your complaints regarding loot boxes. That is why we will be dropping loot boxes from Destiny completely. You can look forward to this in an update planned for February 22, 2019."

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
This is great news but it's so sad that we've gotten to the point where an announcement like that gets a crowd cheer.

But it does let developers know what we want, and if they follow a less predatory system of monetization because of it I guess it all works out in the end right? I just choose to see th cheers aimed at the end of the practice as a whole.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Just announced on EA Play. It'll have paid cosmetics, but you'll know exactly what it is you're buying, and none of them will be tied into gameplay.

Damn straight they've learned their lesson. There's more money to be made rocking consumers for pretty skins, then loot boxes.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I hope you can still get the cosmetics for free with some grinding
I'm not getting my hopes up, but it'd be great if you could. I also hope they have plenty of cosmetic items that you get for doing specific things. That's one issue I have with Destiny 2, so many of the shaders you get while playing are earned randomly.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tomorrow:

"Here at Bungie, we feel it is important to listen to the players. We have heard your complaints regarding loot boxes. That is why we will be dropping loot boxes from Destiny completely. You can look forward to this in an update planned for February 22, 2019."
lol

So true.

Dalcop

Nov 28, 2017
What's wrong with lootboxes? I don't mind them. It's the poor handling of the system in light of additional transactions that leads into dicey territory. I don't see why not be being in a game is something to laud as if it solves anything.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with lootboxes? I don't mind them. It's the poor handling of the system in light of additional transactions that leads into dicey territory. I don't see why not be being in a game is something to laud as if it solves anything.

Its gambling. it has gambling mechanics that keep people hooked. People have gone into debt because of loot boxes.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018

It's almost as if companies are more interested in making money than being evil villains. The Market responded they adjusted. They had no choice.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer nothing I can't earn in game, but I understand that 60 bucks for many just isn't cutting it anymore and they need other means of revenue. Particularly for games you willl have people creating more and maintaining it year round.

I have money, I don't mind buying a hot pink armor color.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Paid cosmetics isn't ideal, but assuming it's like Titanfall 2 I won't complain.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Quite sad that we have to celebrate something like this, yet here we are. Thanks, EA, for not being as outrageously greedy as before.