ratify

Feb 18, 2021
Me too. I learned it by thinking it was a marriage day for my video game machine Wed-nes-day

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
lH1wtel.jpg

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
... Did you want to wed your NES as a kid or was that only just subconsciously part of it?

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
No. I mean yeah, I broke it down like that, but I never really thought of the n.e.s. like nes.

I do still sing a Rocko's Modern Life song to help me spell recycle.

Video games taught me how to spell cooperative and what it meant though.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
Subconsciously, I probably did. Was the only one in my class with a NES, and the only one that spelled it correctly on a pop quiz.

WardFail

Banned
Jul 30, 2022
United States
I have a core middle school memory of a classmate during around and telling me how to remember spelling Wednesday., "Wed-Nes-Day". Don't remember the context and maybe she was being an asshole, but that's how I've remembered it since.

edit: She wasn't a gamer and I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the actually Nintendo Entertainment System.

twothreesix

Jun 7, 2018
I do exactly this even still. Wed-NintendoEntertainmentSystem-day.

Kind'a odd to read this post. Thought this was something that only existed in my mind.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I legit learned how to spell it the other day.
Or I guess I learned it back in school and had to re-learn it recently because I forgot. How did the NES help you learn it?

Edit: oh..

Last edited:

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I was taught to break it down to Wed Nes Day but I didn't even know what a NES was when I learned that.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
I was born in 1990 and had a NES but don't think spelling Wednesday was really an issue as we were raised in a town called Widnes, so seeing the town name everywhere made it easier I guess.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
How common was the "NES" abbreviation in the 80s? Growing up in the 90s with siblings that grew up in the 80s, none of them called it anything but Nintendo or Super Nintendo for SNES. I always got the sense that these abbreviations as common slang for the consoles came later

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
90s kid here but I learned and never forgot how to spell Wednesday because of how my Nigerian parents pronounced it: "Wed-nes-day", instead of "whens-day"

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Growing up my teacher told me "Friday ends with friends" to remind me how to spell friends. But growing up I found out that Friday ends the same as every other day, alone.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I remember calling it an NES before discussing it online. It was a Nintendo, and then when the Super Nintendo came out, I think my friends and I all switched to calling it the Original Nintendo, or Old Nintendo. And meanwhile, I imagine we learned to spell days of the week very early, gotta be pretty close to learning the alphabet and months of the year, no? Quite possibly earlier than even understanding what an acronym was.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a 90's "kid" (more 2000's than 90's, tbh), and I learned it through a kind of similar way?
Through knowing about the NES through Ness from EarthBound, because he was my main in Melee.

...Worked for me, lol.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I remember learning to say "wed nes day" in my head to remember how to spell it, but for whatever reason I never really connected that with the NES

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna say "no..." but if I'm honest, it does flicker like a memory of myself going something "There's an N-E-S in there!"

I'm pretty sure I'm not making that up, lol.