• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I've never come across a person who has ever had a sincere "genuine question". It's usually asked by white folks who want to try and "trip you up" in what they consider a gotcha moment or to try and enforce their (usually ignorant and bigoted) opinions beliefs onto either a marginalised group or minority under the guise of wanting to know about that minority.

To be it's up there with people who like to play Devil's Advocate. aa phrase almost always used by some cis-het white guy who wants to disguise his own disgusting beliefs and behaviour as a hypothetical.

I'm sure somewhere out there is someone is asking a question that they wish to be genuinely educated on, but if that's true, wouldn't doing one's own research into that question be better than asking a person who shouldn't hold any responsibility for correcting ignorance?

I know Google search has big issues especially when bigots can pay money and get great SEO to spread misinformation or can be used to reinforce an ignorant mindset. I know from experience that bigots set up misinformation on Trans and Non-Binary issues to be at the top of Google search. That's a whole other discussion needed on how to remove misinformation from Google.

But it still doesn't stop one from listening to people of that experience, and observing and then researching afterward OR even seeking out experts in the field who are also of that experience.

Essentially I don't trust anyone anymore when they say the words "Genuine Question".

Anyone else feel the same?

Neutrality

Oct 29, 2017
I feel targeted.
I absolutely say this to my friends and it's definitely never sincere and always said when they do something dumbā€¦

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree at all? It's a normal figure of speech most of the time. I tried to look through my post history to see if I'd used it, but it only came up with me responding to someone who'd used it here:
Genuine question, but I've listened to this soundtrack a ton of times, and I have to ask someone else who does: is this track ever actually used in the series? That entire album feels like a tribute album or some such.

It's been a long time since I've seen Lain, so my memory isn't the best.
Is that any of those things?

You can tell me this is a stupid reply (you'd be right), but I just don't like these kind of declarative statements.

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard it from a genuine place for sure, but certainly not every time
Sorry that's not been your experience

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Genuine question, do you really believe that?

I would say it's on the same level as people using hypothetical situations. It's a rhetorical device to make you think about what you're saying which can be used both as a means of pushing back against an idea without being confrontational, or can be used to gather more information. Just depends on the user.

Last edited:

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
This is very generalizing. Yeah, I'm sure some people aren't genuine when they start a conversation like that, but there are people who are.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I'm sincerely sorry that's been your experience.

Whenever I've had "genuine questions," I try to overload my post with outright declarations on my priors. I include working definitions of contentious words. And I try, through humility, to explain that I'm operating from a position of ignorance.

My overriding principle, at least on Era, is that I assume noble intent. It's one of the mantras that was drilled into me from a prior job. So I always assume that someone means well, and there's no harm in asking for clarifications. My duty is to try to explain things 100% initially, but to be prepared to graciously offer any expanded explanation someone needs.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I hate the idea that some people have around here that people are always malicious with their intent. It's just a wrong attitude to have that every single person is that way. That's not to say that there are people who aren't genuine but the idea that everyone isn't is a bad way to view people. Nobody knows everything and there are always going to be people who genuinely don't know.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I use this, but it's because either I'm invested in a thought out answer or because I know the question could come off as a bit much. But I never use it in a bad faith way, always sincere.

Marvelous

Nov 3, 2017
I say this semi frequently as someone who often asks genuine questions that a lot of people think I'm not being serious about or are considered out-of-left-field. I don't necessarily disagree that disingenuous people often use this, but still kind of sucks.

Ruddles

Oct 17, 2018
My gut reaction on reading this was that OP is wrong. I often ask genuine questions that are completely innocuous. Like someone else said, why assume malicious intent?

Then I realised it's probably my privilege that means I have that view, and it's me that's wrong, not the OP. I'm not a minority, so I don't constantly have racists or transphobes in my face saying "Genuine Question!" like a gotcha.

Sorry that's your experience OP. It must be endlessly frustrating.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
hey y'all learn to communicate better

you shouldnt have to tell me you are being 'genuine', i should be able to tell from the interaction

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
My gut reaction on reading this was that OP is wrong. I often ask genuine questions that are completely innocuous. Like someone else said, why assume malicious intent?

Then I realised it's probably my privilege that means I have that view, and it's me that's wrong, not the OP. I'm not a minority, so I don't constantly have racists or transphobes in my face saying "Genuine Question!" like a gotcha.
I'm a minority and I don't think you're wrong for thinking this. OP's feelings are valid, but it's still a generalization that may not apply to you. I know someone myself who uses that exact turn of phrase and it's always innocuous.

Derbel McDillet

ā–² Legend ā–²
Nov 23, 2022
There was another thread like this where the OP just read a common turn of phrase the worst way possible and I'm trying to remember what the phrase was. This isn't anywhere close to as head scratching as that thread was, but it did remind me of it.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I've never come across a person who has ever had a sincere "genuine question". It's usually asked by white folks who want to try and "trip you up" in what they consider a gotcha moment or to try and enforce their (usually ignorant and bigoted) opinions beliefs onto either a marginalised group or minority under the guise of wanting to know about that minority.

To be it's up there with people who like to play Devil's Advocate. aa phrase almost always used by some cis-het white guy who wants to disguise his own disgusting beliefs and behaviour as a hypothetical.

I'm sure somewhere out there is someone is asking a question that they wish to be genuinely educated on, but if that's true, wouldn't doing one's own research into that question be better than asking a person who shouldn't hold any responsibility for correcting ignorance?

I know Google search has big issues especially when bigots can pay money and get great SEO to spread misinformation or can be used to reinforce an ignorant mindset. I know from experience that bigots set up misinformation on Trans and Non-Binary issues to be at the top of Google search. That's a whole other discussion needed on how to remove misinformation from Google.

But it still doesn't stop one from listening to people of that experience, and observing and then researching afterward OR even seeking out experts in the field who are also of that experience.

Essentially I don't trust anyone anymore when they say the words "Genuine Question".

Anyone else feel the same?

Well, I have often used the words 'genuine question', and I trust myself. So no, I don't feel the same.

When I'm in a conversation with someone on here and I'd like to get their point of view; when my question could be construed as snarky, sarcastic or dismissive I use 'genuine question', because my question is in fact genuine. And other people do have genuine questions as well.

Not everyone is an asshole trying to trip other people up. Sure, a lot do. And minorities probably get more than their fair share of it.

But with the rather absolute position from the op? Nah, I don't agree.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, im sure some people say that when they're about to say something they feel strongly about. I don't think I can say its one way or another with a microscopic sample size as to how people use that one.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I use it and mean it when I do.

It's a good filter to avoid snarky know-it-alls who can't be bothered to give genuine answers. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I get it quite often in what is - I think - an honest way, but as a high school teacher that's a very specific scenario.

When students are asking me stuff during PSHE lessons they sometimes are unsure about what they know and want someone to tell them - and even if they are trying to mess up the lesson, the best way is just to be very straightforward with them and explain the answer clearly and with evidence.

If there's an other student in the room who needs to hear that answer but is scared of asking it, all the better.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
when im flirting with someone and i get the šŸ„“ i know im doin sommit right

A Fat4All photo of such an event:
FAANs5t.png

Last edited:

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Pretty sure on here I've used the phrase because I want to be clear I am interested in hearing what people think - not something I can Google - and people have responded sincerely, i.e. in kind. Context and the conversation matters, surely.

I've seen it used insincerely too, but this doesn't tally with my experience at all times.

you shouldnt have to tell me you are being 'genuine', i should be able to tell from the interaction

Fair, to a point, and I myself use the idea of context above, but what if the interaction is very brief? Then the context of place applies, I guess.

Also, is this something that only applies online?

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I realised it years ago on twitter.

People whose life was worshipping Musk would search for criticisms of him and his company.

And then say things like "what did he do?"
Or "I don't know much but I had a look and actually <insert some bullshit>"

Then later I saw the same done with Peterson and Rowling fans.

The technique of dishonest questioning and putting forward rehearsed takes is really obvious but whatever the topic or person they seem to resort to the same thing over and over.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Also, is this something that only applies online?
i imagine it's mostly an online thing

if im being honest, nearly every time ive seen someone use 'genuine question' online they are either arguing in bad faith, or implying that the other person is arguing in bad faith

always feel like a weird internet power-move to me

"ahem, allow ME to be the honest one"

im sure there's folks who use itā€¦ genuinely (lol)

but nearly every time I've ever seen it used, it by people 10 threads into an online argument, or a rando bystander butting into an argument to stir shit

Mekanos

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 17, 2018

Text is not always conducive to effectively communicating tone and intent, people who have been posting on the internet for decades will still misunderstand and speak past each other. Heck, I'd say it's happening in this thread to an extent.

As an autistic person I find it a little uncomfortable that "genuine question" is being framed as JAQing off. I have always used it as a way to cut past the snark and irony in online discussions.

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I can only speak for me. That's all I'm saying.

Also as that's the case be careful of those asking it of you as they may not be as genuine as you are using the phrase. I've personally NEVER come across someone asking it sincerely. It's always bad faith crap. So even if you are using it genuinely don't expect others to do so to you.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I can only speak for me. That's all I'm saying.
and i can only speak for what I've seen

and 'genuine question' is an easily recognizable tool used by chuds online to sew discourse, especially when it comes to topics of trans rights/activism

saw (and still see) that shit a LOT when it comes to 'bathroom debate' bollocks

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Internet debate is full of a lot of rhetorical questions deployed as implied arguments.
e.g. "What do you think happens to conversations when you assume every expression of sincerity is code for chuddery?"

In conversations that run of the risk of becoming heated, it can be helpful to flag "genuine question" so people don't think you're doing the above, you're not presuming an answer, you're trying to establish a dialogue depite a perceived gulf in starting positions/lived experiences.

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Internet debate is full of a lot of rhetorical questions deployed as implied arguments.
e.g. "What do you think happens to conversations when you assume every expression of sincerity is code for chuddery?"

In conversations that run of the risk of becoming heated, it can be helpful to flag "genuine question" so people don't think you're doing the above, you're not presuming an answer, you're trying to establish a dialogue depite a perceived gulf in starting positions/lived experiences.

I'd find it more helpful if people said "ignorant question" it at least assumes ignorance on their end, and being ignorant AND wanting to be more enlightened shouldn't be a bad thing. I'm a Trans and Non-Binary consultant and I encourage people to DM me or speak to me face to face in private their "ignorant questions" or questions they think are stupid because it's my job (that I volunteer for) to answer them sincerely. But in my experience I've never had someone online say "genuine question" when it comes to asking questions of intersectional minorities and issues and it not be in bad faith.