• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've always assumed that "Latino/Latina" WAS an ethnic term - that Hispanic would be a larger cultural/lingual umbrella. The idea of being "white Latina" is new to me. If Hispanic is lingual, and Latin is "from Latin America," is there a term that would be applicable for "US residents with a brown complexion from a country in Central/South America" divorced from either of those? Like the equivalent of "mestizo" or what have you. I guess "brown" works, but when I hear that I imagine an umbrella that also includes, say, people from South Asia or MENA.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
People in US think António Banderas is a PoC so this really nothing new, it's all very dumb.
The US has a tendency of labeling people in ways that do not make sense.
Latino itself is a strange amalgamation of every single person south of the border, and even those from across the Atlantic.
Argentinians and Mexicans are pretty damn different, and we Spaniards (Antonio Banderas) shouldn't even be in there.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
They do? Where? That's fucking news to me.

As for this, the author has the most basic of understanding of the breakdown of Latinos as an ethnic group. It's a dumb fucking article, but hoping the respect is still given for a Latina winning(just you know, far removed from the context the author was trying to give it).

My wife's ex step father who was born in America and has Mexican parents, honestly thinks that Italians in Italy are 'people of colour". It does happen and I don't know why. Anyway I don't tend to make decisions on this stuff purely because as the whitest person I know (ginger hair and very white) it isn't my place to decide this kind of stuff at all.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why she is not white?
I'm a light skinned Mexican, my brother and sister are darker skin toned , I'm a person of color as I would probably apply to a scholarship of that sort for example .

Its weird that if you look different from what people think that you should like, you're automatically white, even though you are not.

Because you can't get accepted because of how different your name is and the difference of your culture that is.

So no I'm not white just because I am light skinned.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

EvXs9p2VgAE9VlH

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
I mean technically yeah lol. I'm probably mixing up latino and hispanic.

Hispanic generally means someone is from Spanish speaking America.

EDIT: In the US, at least. In other parts of the world, it has a broader context as someone from Spain, or the former colonies of the Spanish Empire worldwide.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I'm a light skinned Mexican, my brother and sister are darker skin toned , I'm a person of color as I would probably apply to a scholarship of that sort for example .

Its weird that if you look different from what people think that you should like, you're automatically white, even though you are not.

Because you can't get accepted because of how different your name is and the difference of your culture that is.

So no I'm not white just because I am light skinned.

Yeah, I have family members on my mom's side and friends who 100% look white, with parents who are both dark-complected. It's kind of messed up that they come from households that largely represent the struggles and systemic bigotry levied against many people of color, are culturally Mexican, speak Spanish, self identify as Mexican POC, etc - but are often robbed of that self-identity due to them popping out differently than their other siblings.

But... that doesn't apply to Anya Taylor Joy.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
'Latin' doesn't automatically mean you have a dark complexion. Pale-ass and red haired Louis CK was born in Mexico.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
This reminds me of when people say "The West." They are generally excluding Central and South America...even though most people there speak a European language as their primary language and the countries are mostly Christian with capitalist economies and democratic governments.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've always assumed that "Latino/Latina" WAS an ethnic term - that Hispanic would be a larger cultural/lingual umbrella. The idea of being "white Latina" is new to me. If Hispanic is lingual, and Latin is "from Latin America," is there a term that would be applicable for "US residents with a brown complexion from a country in Central/South America" divorced from either of those? Like the equivalent of "mestizo" or what have you. I guess "brown" works, but when I hear that I imagine an umbrella that also includes, say, people from South Asia or MENA.
This is pretty much the reason why "Latinx" is such a dumb term. "Latino/Latina" is already a broad (BROAD) generalization made so US society can put everyone in a box. Get 5 Latino people together and chances are they'll rather identify themselves due to their heritage ("My Dad is Mexican, my mom is Puerto Rican/Boricua") or where they are from ("I'm Chilean"), we kinda already HAVE to use "Latino" just so we don't have to deal with endless questions about it, specially from White People who are obsessed with the label.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This reminds me of when people say "The West." They are generally excluding Central and South America...even though most people there speak a European language as their primary language and the countries are mostly Christian with capitalist economies and democratic governments.
"The West" is just an international political grouping (most recently) born out of the Cold War's 1st world (contrast with Soviet-led 2nd world and the unaligned 3rd world). It has nothing to do with language or culture.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
People regularly label Pedro Pascal as POC representation, when he's white.
PoC representation if/when it involves Latinos will include caucasians with respects to Hollywood/TV landscape imo. There's further caveats to consider on that front obviously but overall, Pedro Pascal being Chilean matters for representation.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Wait did they just not look at a picture of her at all or???? I get ignorant asses not understanding that Latino doesn't mean brown but like damn. She's clearly a white woman.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well she played black in chess so maybe that's where the confusion stemmed from?

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO, that's what happens when your understanding of race and ethnicity only comes from American pop culture

Cocamantis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This is amazing. Somebody made a quick Wiki search on her background, saw "Argentinian" and the rest is history. Holy shit.

(I'm from Argentina btw)

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
People are pretty ignorant towards South America. I admit that I didn't know much either until I started working for a small business run by a Colombian family 20 years ago. Also, hearing my Chilean in-laws talk about their country's rivalry with Argentina, and neighboring Peru, there's huge differences all around.

Wait until people find out about Asian Latinos!
Yeah, I used to have this Brazilian coworker, and his girlfriend would often call, with a very heavy Brazilian accent, asking to speak to him.

One day this Japanese girl shows up at the office, and I ask if I can help her. She opens her mouth, and there's that familiar heavy accent from the phone. I was surprised, but that's when I learned there's a huge Japanese diaspora in Brazil. The largest in the world

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Reminder that Argentina killed all the black people in their country through intentional genocide.
I've always known it was a combination of freeing the slaves without any social parachute (letting them in extreme poverty) long bloody wars (the armies were sproportionally black due to their extreme poverty) and various epidemics (against who the black population had less medical help due to their extreme poverty).

Wait until people find out about Asian Latinos!
I've seen the Brasilian national baseball team playing, and a world opened up before me. ;)