• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ornery

Nov 15, 2017
After this CP2077 disaster, and learning that Sony's digital return policies are archaic, anyone else feeling a bit of regret purchasing a PS5DE?

I understandably take some blame for not doing my homework on Sony's stance on refunding digital content, but Ive owned literally every PS, and I've reached out to Sony exactly one time for a refund, which wasn't an issue.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Based on how many on this forum treat preferring physical media akin to having some kind of terminal illness, I'm going to guess you're going to get a lot of no's

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
I have been all digital since PS4 and I have zero intention on changing that

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I bought a physical PS5 and have still bought everything digitally.

I'm sure there'll be a time where I'll feel burnt by a purchase or something but that scenario seems so rare that it doesn't override the benefits of buying digital content to me (and that includes music, films, books, games etc).

May 19, 2020
not really, all you have to do is put aside your FOMO and just play stuff when it's actually ready for primetime vs. thirsting for early access AAA games

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Stores don't refund and some just exchange the product for the same one. That said, if digital is going to be the future (which it is), then publishers should start making more demos.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Not sure how the cp thing changes anything. They are offering refunds for that. Sony can be a bit restrictive in that department but you can get one easily for cp now.

Def doesn't change my stance, I'm still digital. To be fair though I own an Xbox series x and I don't ever use the disc drive, I've been digital for years now.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
Sony return policy could certainly improve, but I don't see it as a reason alone for not going digital.

I mean, you can always wait a week or so to buy the game and make a more informed decision. There's no sensible to pre-order any game, digital or not.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer to have digital games on my console but I love having a disc drive to buy games on sale and test them out. Some of them make the cut and I'll get the digital version down the line, others I don't care for and can at least resell and recoup some of the costs. Over time I've gone digital with the majority of my games but it's great to have disc as an option, I don't think I can give that up. Especially with how expensive games are here in Canada.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
No digital only consoles, but they might as well be. I only got a Series X because it was the most powerful option and a Disc based PS5 since they are easier to find. But they're going to be pure digital.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Nope. Sony's and Nintendo's return policies have been trash for years. It's expected and a downside I accept. Just be careful with your purchases and don't fall into the hype.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm disappointed I can't get a 1TB microSD card for a reasonable price.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
It's not the game, it's more about Sony's policies on digital content
Yeah they should def go the steam/xbox route and at least allow you to get a refund if under a certain playtime. As digital becomes more and more common I think there will be pressure for Sony to have a decent policy. They've already made it better, I think you couldn't get refund on a preorder before, now I think it's after you download it? Pretty sure that's right.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm looking to pick up an Xbox Series S once they're more widely available. I've been exclusively digital with games since late in the PS3/360 generation. The last physical game I bought was NCAA Football '14 (released July 2013) I believe.

Trickytoon

Jan 14, 2018
I think if the game had been *permanently* removed from the store, and you were being denied access to it and a refund then I would understand some regret.

As it is the game will return in better shape (hopefully) and there are other, much better, games to play in the meantime.

As an aside I don't understand why people are so quick to want to refund this game - give it some time and re-evaluate when CDPR release patches. And I say this as someone who is pretty unimpressed with what was supposed to be my gaming holy grail! I should be raging right now!!

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
My physical to digital ratio is about even, but Sony/Nintendo are garbage when it comes to support and refunds, so i'd not actively want to go that route for the foreseeable future.

Until it becomes like Steam, i'm not interested

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Not in the slightest. Best decision I made since the start of PS4

May 19, 2020
As an aside I don't understand why people are so quick to want to refund this game - give it some time and re-evaluate when CDPR release patches. And I say this as someone who is pretty unimpressed with what was supposed to be my gaming holy grail! I should be raging right now!!
might have to do with the fact that it is a total technical mess on the base consoles and seems to have other baked in problems that will likely not be fixed anytime soon

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
My decision to go for a PS5DE was made because

1) I bought all my games for the PS4 digitally, never popped a disk in my PS4... and ,
2) It was 100€ cheaper.

For me these are still valid and hold up, no matter what. I don't plan to buy physical games unless for collection purposes.

Icky Thump

Oct 30, 2017
I generally don't start games on day one of release. Not to handwave or anything, but you can always wait until day two to fire it up even if you pay for a preorder to get a bonus or something.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
No, I don't regret it. I see some deals like Ghost Of Tsushima was 20 bucks at Walmart for a hot minute.. but honestly I don't care to have the discs. If I could've given Microsoft 400 for a Series X but without disc drive I would've done that too. I bought discs of Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs Legion for black friday, but swapping discs and not being able to play them on my One X as well without moving the disc back and forth prompted me to sell them.

The sales have been really good so far too.. except for Sony 1st party of course but even then i found people selling burger king codes for Demon's Souls and Sackboy.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they should def go the steam/xbox route and at least allow you to get a refund if under a certain playtime. As digital becomes more and more common I think there will be pressure for Sony to have a decent policy. They've already made it better, I think you couldn't get refund on a preorder before, now I think it's after you download it? Pretty sure that's right.
Yeah you can get a refund all the way up to 14 days after as long as you don't download it which is a million times better than the previous way. Unfortunately it is still behind Microsoft and Steam which has that I think 2 hours of play time policy.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Nah. My Series X has a disc drive, of course, but it's never going to be used.

EmmaDansTonU

Nov 27, 2020
I never understaood the apeal of digital on console with small capacity hard drive when some games are more than 100gig.

At least on Switch now you could buy microSD cards for cheap, but additionnal HDD for PS5/XBS are expensive.

Also as French, games are cheaper at retail than digital

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Nah, I went digital-only as early as the 3DS. I've been buying predominantly digital for the greater part of a decade and only own physical Switch games that were gifts and PS4 games that came with the Pro bundle I bought.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
Quite the contrary. When my launch PS5 arrived, I was able to transfer my digital content during setup. Weeks later, I decided to boot up Seikiro (my only disc based game on PS4) and see how it feels on the 5. It asked for the disc. Not what I was expecting. Still haven't played Seikiro on PS5.