• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I get this feeling when I walk into a bookstore or read the 'What Movies Have you Seen Recently' thread or think about all the new games out there that I'd like to play or all the alleged great TV shows now on Netflix or Prime. And I don't even have kids! But I do have a demanding regular job with a tough commute. How do you folks decide what is most worth your time? Are you impulsive about it or do you have a thoughtful system? This probably reads as total First World Problems, I mean who should complain about too much entertainment choices in your free time but it's something that's on my mind lately.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Yes you will never be able to enjoy all the good content in your lifetime.

Even if no more movies, games, books, etc. were ever produced you still wouldn't be able to enjoy all the great, existing content in a single or possibly even multiple lifetimes.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Paradox of Choice plus FOMO.

I came to peace with it since you will never read, watch, play the best out there. Just be ruthless with stuff you're not enjoying. I drop books, TV series, games, and such that don't keep my engaged all the time.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Even more overwhelming when you consider how much time is wasted here instead of consuming said content haha

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the time.

There's just too much I want to enjoy and not enough time to do it all.

johnnydork

Oct 26, 2017
I regularly watch movies on my tv while streaming Netflix on an iPad on my lap. It helps keep up to date.

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
Yup, there will never be time to consume it all. For me it's games, I keep buying but don't have the time to beat any, then the next game comes around and I buy it...it's a vicious way of life.

Oct 27, 2017
this is why i have almost 2,000 full albums of music in my library
and that's just scratching the surface
i'm an addict tho, so i'll get close one day ... lol

most 70's, 80's, 90's records

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I feel that way about books and movies; not so much TV or games. With regards to the latter, I'm confident enough in my tastes to know that if I'm not watching a TV show or playing a certain game it's because I don't find them compelling. But, there are scores of movies and books I'd like to enjoy but don't have the time.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
Yes and no.

I think i got overwhelmed so long ago that I just checked out of what's new and basically just play whatever handful of media actually interests me (which lends itself to a lot of sequels and honestly rarely branching out tbh). If it means I'm getting around to stuff 5-10 years late... meh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine all the great stuff in eastern countries which you have no access to because of language/cultural barriers

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Feel this any time I walk through a library. :(

Jul 5, 2018
Yeah I feel you on that... Especially because like you I enjoy pretty much all the entertainment mediums (film, music, games, books etc.) I tend to watch more movies and listen to music since that's so much less time consuming than games and reading (I'm a pretty slow reader). Something I don't do that often is watch TV shows. That just overloads me with how long they are.

I'm to the point now where I kinda have a good idea of what interests me. If something doesn't interest me much I don't bother with it cause I have literally dozens of other things to watch/play/listen/read.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Abandon the "fear of missing out", it does you no favors and provides no satisfaction.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
No because I don't care about most things. I know what I like, and I occasionally try new things. You're not going to get me interested in the latest super hero movie so I don't care about missing out, for example.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All these things are mostly just iterations of standard stuff. You've probably seen all of it already if you've seen any of it.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
It's awesome if you just take your time and enjoy things. You can't consume everything, so might as well take it easy.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think most mainstream media isn't worth my time so I don't really have this issue. I'm happy slowly going through the small percentage of things that appeal to me.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Yeah, Paradox of Choice plus FOMO.

I came to peace with it since you will never read, watch, play the best out there. Just be ruthless with stuff you're not enjoying. I drop books, TV series, games, and such that don't keep my engaged all the time.

This. Also, I've been trying to cut back on services like GoodReads and Backloggery simply because I find they add to the anxiety.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Not just content! Works, experiences, worlds, sandboxes, fiestas and expansive landscapes! Escapist fantasies, life footnotes, political dialogues, murder-topias, battleground heavens, catchy earworms! This doesn't exist as a collective -- you can find this in individual authorships alone. These are all expressions of life, each in their own right, each with the capacity to invoke something in another person, in us.

As such, unless it's your job or passion it is not an obligation to consume everything you are given -- only to make the most of what you do..!!

What value is in taking in as much media and art the world has to offer only for the majority of it to mean little and your time and aptitude given to prove insufficient for actually letting them compel and inspire you?

Instead of trying to expand your portions, know your portions, and each meal can be more potentially enriching; sometimes a single movie, or a single game, or book series, can be soul-deep for a single lifetime -- just imagine ten..!!

skyappl

Oct 25, 2017
No. I enjoy the tiny fraction of things I like and have time for and that's it. I also keep an eye out for new things and do often find new things I like as well, but it's all with significant practical limits on how much I can actually explore.

In general you'll never be able to see and do everything in the world, so just follow your interests and be happy with them.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I literally have a ranked list of games to play divided into 7 sub category lists and then a second longer list of things to try and rank into the original 7 lists. Plus new things come out and get added to the top if very interesting to me.

Dec 2, 2017
I'm currently irritating myself to death by continuously buying new games while hardly ever finishing the ones I have. I keep thinking 'oh im building a collection' but I've finished less than 10 games this whole year.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope I don't need to consume everything there's way more important things in life then games and movies.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
The most interesting bit is that I barely share the same interests with the people around me anymore. Decades ago, there were some stuff known by almost everyone. Now people seem to enjoy things exclusively by themselves.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Even more overwhelming when you consider how much time is wasted here instead of consuming said content haha

This does get to me.

A lot of people spend more time discussing their hobbies than actually participating in them.

But then again, a huge reason people find hobbies so engaging is because of the community. So I don't know.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't watched the past couple seasons of Better Call Saul and it annoys me that I've let myself get so far behind.

It's not just a too much content issue but also the easy distractions of the internet.

Liberteer

Dec 8, 2018
Sarajevo
There's a project I've started (I don't even have a hashtag for it yet!) and that is streamlining down to one piece per media, which means - reading one book, watching one show and playing one game at the time.

So far so good, I am using TV Time to track my shows, and I'm wrapping up my book reading for 2018. The games are a bit problematic since I review games as well.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the time.

There's just too much I want to enjoy and not enough time to do it all.
blogger-image--539152091.jpg

I need my astral projection to consume media while I slep

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. I'm afraid I'll get interested in something and die before I see all of it.

I'm lucky that I find most television programs uninteresting and that big retail games have gone down since the early 2000's.

I'm also happy that One Piece will finish probably in 9 years. Also my favorite band TMBG is 58 and 59 so I'll probably get to hear all their music.

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I used to until I decided to become more selective in my viewing/gaming habits. That said, this doesn't apply to music, I'll give just about anything a listen given how easily I can consume it during transit to and from work.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Yes

I started telling myself that I wouldn't overdo it anymore and wouldn't try to play everything, but I still do and it's burned me out. Same goes for books, which I now have a massive to read pile of that I may never get through because I keep finding more interesting books recommended here, listed on the library's website, etc.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No.

Be selective. And dump something if it doesn't hook you immediately. I've been told to give a show "a season or two until it gets good." Nope.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
There's no reason to feel overwhelmed. That would be like standing in a supermarket and lamenting that you'll never get through all the different types of food on display.

Over time you'll discover a taste for most good things. I was in my late fifties before I really started to enjoy baroque choral music. And the great thing is that you will always be able to revisit your favourites even after decades away, acquiring a new appreciation for what you didn't realise at the time would come to be a classic.

You'll never get through it all, but you don't have to. Continue to talk to other people and compare their tastes to yours, continue to branch out on your own occasionally. You will carve out a unique aesthetic experience that reflects your personality.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I'll never read, see, play, or whatever 99.9999% of what's out there and I'm perfectly ok with that. I've got a lot more things to do then consume things.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, its just entertainment. You just need to be selective. I definitely feel overwhelmed by the knowledge we were able to produce though. I want to know so much and I barely know anything.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, knowing that I won't be able to watch, play, listen to all that I want in my lifetime is extremely depressing.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think about this everytime someones says you "just need to get throught first 5, 10, 15 hours etc" of a game/TV show/book.

To quote a Marc Maron bit, "Eh... I don't know how much time I have left."