• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
d00.jpg

After 14 main line entries its getting pretty stale.

I might just be growing out of anime tropes, but this style doesn't appeal to me the way it used to. It all seems so fake. Like the main character in 16 is getting ready for his live stage boy band concert instead of being a medieval soldier.

I get its fantasy, but I thought Kingsglaive was making progress with having characters that looked like humans instead of strange anime doll people. I mean what kid actually looks like Joshua in 16? Why do Joshua and his girl friend have basically the same face, with the main characters not being so different as well?

I'm finding it harder and harder to relate to these perfect, no flaw characters. I would have thought after XV's main party we might have gotten something somewhat different but there isn't even a playable woman or PoC character in sight. Ive seen these dudes 1000 times already.

Edit: I'm not asking for "Ugly", just characters who look like actual humans with a diverse cast.

Last edited:

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
I don't care at all if the hero is pretty or not, or looks like an K-pop boys band...as long as the gameplay, story, OST and environment/bestiary is done seriously.

FF XV had so many flaws in its storytelling, gameplay, its empty/dull open-world environment and the boys band part was the cherry on the cake rather than my sole point of focus tbh

I would be okay with it if the protag had at least some semblance of melanin.

I understand but In an Asian game sadly I don't see that often. FF XIV offers choice in that area (for a MMO that's the least they can do)

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I think its too soon to judge anything, as we dont even know who the MC will be imo, who will be a playable character etc.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's mainstream anime. Mainstream anime never changes.
That said, I don't care how they looked. I really liked Noctis for example. It's all about the character and his/her story.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care how they look as I know what to expect from this franchise. That said I can understand why people might want to see something else.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Nah.

After the past 15 entries having good looking people as the protag, you expected something different? Lol. Probably should find a different series.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but I feel this way with JRPGs and anime in general. I feel like I've aged out of them and can't relate anymore.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
dont forget that except 7 and 13 there were no POC-characters in their series( i dont count fran, because she was... i dont know what kind of race in the game, at least they didnt count themselves as human or something)

why are the japanese like that? is that to cater the american/european market?

Yes, but I feel this way with JRPGs and anime in general. I feel like I've aged out of them and can't relate.
this. me too. i add an ANYMORE at the last sentence of yours to fix it for me.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Well congrats OP you have the entirety of the WRPG market to satisfy your need with ugly protagonists.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
That Realistic art style is getting bland and tired. Final fantasy 9 was the peak of the franchise when it came to originality with character types.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I do like how pretty and unique it is...but they literally all look the same now.

I'd love a game to adopt facial capture. The results are so much more unique.
d00.jpg

That Realistic art style is getting bland and tired. Final fantasy 9 was the peak of the franchise when it came to originality with character types.

Meeeeh. FF9 models look...sorta goofy. :/
They look like more anime versions of Dark Crystal muppets lol
But also the girls look more standard "typical pretty women" (can't make girls weird/unique looking!! no one wants to fuck that) compared to the fellas. Brahne was, but it was played for laughs (and totally unexplained why she's blue).

DarkCrystalJenKira.png

final-fantasy.jpg

Last edited:

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just bored with them choosing another male protagonist after the sausage fest that was FFXV.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
It's mainstream anime. Mainstream anime never changes.
That said, I don't care how they looked. I really liked Noctis for example. It's all about the character and his/her story.

For such mainstream anime I surely thought for a few seconds that I was watching something related to GoT or The Witcher.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
So much for the medieval setting and then you see those protagonists taken directly from "generic anime: design your first character".

The protagonist looked like a discarded design from FFXV.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
dont forget that except 7 and 13 there were no POC-characters in their series( i dont count fran, because she was... i dont know what kind of race in the game, at least they didnt count themselves as human or something)

why are the japanese like that? is that to cater the american/european market?

this. me too. i add an ANYMORE at the last sentence of yours to fix it for me.

True that. Adding Anymore to my post.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main dude looks like Noctis. So derivative. I'm tired of sausage parties in FF. There better be playable women and PoC in this fucker or I'm skipping it.

Oct 27, 2017
FF16 seems to be an improvement but I agree.

Heck, rather than "non pretty", I would like to play as old people. An old lady protagonist or old man.

More diversity is what they should focus on more.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm up for older folks becoming the heroes.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
For such mainstream anime I surely thought for a few seconds that I was watching something related to GoT or The Witcher.

You're clearly blind if you saw those characters and didn't instantly realise they're anime pretty

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The new main character definitely seems older (post time jump) and less "pretty" than Noctis. I don't get as much of the boy band vibe.

Obviously he's still designed to look cool, but it seems like they're trying to make him a little more of a badass.

Hoping for women and PoC, of course. My only consolation is that it looks like we've only seen a small chunk of the world/game.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I feel this is the minority now all other male protagonist are gruff bearded dudes. Androgynous male characters are few and far between in AAA games. The only issue I saw was they aren't as pretty as Cloud in FF7R. I'll wait to see more though I want to play as a woman in this action game.

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
No, I'm not. I really liked the protagonist design, even thou I like Noctis more

And I mean, it's not like western game don't have a thing for gruff hot dads

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'm fine with it. Plenty of other games with grizzled dudes, especially in the West.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
jO2gtxW.jpg

I mean, sure, this is an attractive man but... I don't get "anime pretty boy" vibes.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Were the 2 faces shown 2 different characters or just an older version?
The answer is yes, i've been tired of it for a long time. You have this setting with people walking around old farm towns and they all look like they just came from a fucking modelling photo shoot.

The weird Jim Sterling vendor in the new Resident Evil game though.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I miss the old style, which is why I loved Octopaths art direction so much.
The final fantasy 6 art is the kind of look I like
599075.jpg