GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For everyone saying, "well I'd much rather the extra 1 GB go to games, so I'm happy"...can you explain to me how that makes any sense since the PS5 has a 4K Dashboard and the games are performing slightly better on it even for the most part?

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
The dashboard seems fine to me. Like yeah sure it would look cool if they put it in, but im fine without it. Don't really care about/linger on my dashboard for long.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Based on this it sounds like the ram allocation is the same as the PS4. So 3.5 I guess?

I was concerned that such a rich level of functionality may well be taking system resources away from the game developer, whether that's in terms of CPU time, GPU or memory. Sony isn't giving away any numbers on what the system allocation is, and neither is it confirming how much useable space is available on the SSD. However, the aim is to deliver the new features with the same kind of system allocation developers currently work with on current-gen platforms.

"Hardware resource is limited and defined, and it's shared between the game and our system side," confirms Hideaki Nishino. "We define how much of the resource can be spent by the system side, but it's a similar amount [to] what we are doing with PlayStation 4. That's a philosophical thing: we are trying to give as much power and resource as possible back to the game side, because the game is the core, and then we bring Control Centre and Activity Cards while minimising the [system] resources we spend."

www.eurogamer.net

Our first look at the PlayStation 5 user interface - and it could be a game-changer

When was the last time we saw a game-changing reveal in the immediate run-up to the launch of a next generation console…

Yea screw the 4K dashboard. It's ok as it is. An entire gig of extra RAM for games its where it's at. Can't wait until we get over this cross-gen parity phase with these games that are taking zero advantage of the Series X's power and resources. Next few years are going to be great.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
For everyone saying, "well I'd much rather the extra 1 GB go to games, so I'm happy"...can you explain to me how that makes any sense since the PS5 has a 4K Dashboard and the games are performing slightly better on it even for the most part?

It's a 7 year console cycle. Can you explain why you expect all hardware resources to be fully utilized in the first few months?

The common consensus around the PS5's (current) superior performance is that it's down to much more mature dev tools.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I don't even care, lol. It looks fine. I have both consoles and switch between them a lot, difference is meh. I just want the UIs to be fast and laid out good.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 Dashboard is also a skeleton of a system UI, like, it's about the minimum level of function you could possibly expect of a console. It's a silly comparison.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe I'm saying this but even at 1080p the Xbox Ui is miles ahead of whatever that PS5 UI is.
How so? They are both very flawed IMO and could use a ton of improvements. One of my biggest pet peeves with Xbox is how they only show a handful of recent games up top, for all of your installed games you have to navigate to sub menu. And what's up with "suggested games" group which isn't removable? What's the point of showing some random games from my library, some of them installed, while others not installed.

PS5 isn't that much better, has its own share of annoyances.

The dashboard and ui are finally quick and snappy. I wouldn't want to risk ruining that.
I still notice occasional lag after cold boot when navigating.

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
Barely looks any worse than the PS5 UI on my 75" screen.

I'm struggling to understand why people are complaining about this.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How so? They are both very flawed IMO and could use a ton of improvements. One of my biggest pet peeves with Xbox is how they only show a handful of recent games up top, for all of your installed games you have to navigate to sub menu. And what's up with "suggested games" group which isn't removable? What's the point of showing some random games from my library, some of them installed, while others not installed.

PS5 isn't that much better, has its own share of annoyances.

I still notice occasional lag after cold boot when navigating.
I mean, you can pin whatever games you want on xbox, and the library is only like one click away from anywhere. You don't have to scroll all the way to the right first.

It shows the most recent 6 games/apps right there in a line to the right, basically just like ps5, but your library is also just 'down' once. Then you can arrange your folders/groups/whateveryouwant by hitting customize on the dash, and have your pins right underneath the most recent row of shit as well, which you can pin absolutely anything you want to.

It's honestly not THAT different from the XBO UI of like 5 years ago, but little tweaks all over have made it highly functional and snappy. Everything you want is right there.

Last edited:

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you can pin whatever games you want on xbox, and the library is only like one click away from anywhere. You don't have to scroll all the way to the right first.
Pinning feature is pretty terrible because games that you uninstall still remain pinned, so I ended up micro managing these pesky thumbnails all the time. I gave up on using that and now just go to "my games & apps" where I can actually see currently installed games and nothing else.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pinning feature is pretty terrible because games that you uninstall still remain pinned, so I ended up micro managing these pesky thumbnails all the time. I gave up on using that and now just go to "my games & apps" where I can actually see currently installed games and nothing else.
Ok? So what's your beef I guess? Literally 'down' 'a' like, short of them dedicating a button on the controller to opening your library that's about as fast as you can expect anything to be.

Compare to the alternative of 'hit right 8 times, press X, then press up then right then back down' if you want to view your installed games. That's way more egregious than some barely noticeable aliasing on the text in my UI because it's not native 4k.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017

It asks you if you want to remove the pins when you uninstall.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Couldn't care less, I legit forgot this was even a thing. Like someone else said, fixing quick resume or letting me manually scale custom backgrounds to fit the whole image I want in are more important than the resolution by far.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. For me the change from One S to X is barely noticeable - wish it felt like more of a different experience / upgrade

GavinGT

Sep 28, 2020
It doesn't matter at all to me. The only improvement I need is a Queue button on the home screen.

vtribal

Nov 15, 2020
Pretty sure the ps5 has 512 mb of ddr4 to help with ssd/os functions, and windows isn't really known for being memory efficient

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I can't even notice and don't care. If it was 4k, and they decided to backtrack to free up any resources for games years in, I would support it gladly.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone with a better understanding of rasterization please explain to me how rendering what looks like mostly simple, non-shaded 2D shapes in 4K vs 1080p would consume an additional 1GB of RAM?

The biggest reason is that unlike the PlayStation's and Xbox 360 before it, the X1 /XS don't use a purpose built, dedicated UI layer for the console, and instead uses a **very* general purpose UI layer (UWP XAML) that is optimised for general UI development and doesn't - and won't - have any specific low level, case by case optimisation.

It means its less efficient overall in terms of performance and RAM usage, but it also means its ridiculously easier and quicker for Microsoft to iterate and change their UI because they're using a mature and fully fledged UI stack with a lot of tooling, documentation and flexibility, and their developers have a lotmof experience with it. (The Windows 10 shell is even built with UWP XAML these days)

And every layer / element on the UI gets its own render texture rather than being flattened on top of each other. So even a simple game tile has a BGRA background image texture, an A8 texture for the text label and a texture BGRA texture for a colour behind the label that get placed on top of each each other, rather than creating a single composite texture.

Which makes sense for a general purpose UI system because we don't know who needs to be redrawn when, and don't want the cost of redrawing entire cascading trees constantly, but means when you increase resolution, you can get a lot of potential memory increase - but not even close to 1GB from XAML elements alone. The biggest increase is probably literally from the resolution of the bitmap image assets like game art and full screen background art - and the of course, all the apps would also render in 4K with their own increased memory usage, taking up parts of the allocated Windows side of the memory pool

It is, however, literally a case of them flipping a switch to get it to happen for the most part. XAML was designed even in the old WPF days to scale perfectly with DPI/ resolution, so if they told it to render at 4K right now, it would, with very little work.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
For sure.

There was a big thread out a month or so back when it first got revealed that it was going to be in 1080 again like the one x.

I thought it was annoying as ps4 pro had it in 4k and ms still supposedly can't figure a way to run the dash in 4k but things like ps4 pro, ps5 and apple TV 4k can do it. The Apple TV 4k and ps5 dash look so clean and clear with great images and text whilst ms still sits on blurry 1080.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a 7 year console cycle. Can you explain why you expect all hardware resources to be fully utilized in the first few months?

The common consensus around the PS5's (current) superior performance is that it's down to much more mature dev tools.

So your argument is that over time the extra GB saved will cause Series X games to perform better? I don't buy that at all.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest reason is that unlike the PlayStation's and Xbox 360 before it, the X1 /XS don't use a purpose built, dedicated UI layer for the console, and instead uses a **very* general purpose UI layer (UWP XAML) that is optimised for general UI development and doesn't - and won't - have any specific low level, case by case optimisation.

It means its less efficient overall in terms of performance and RAM usage, but it also means its ridiculously easier and quicker for Microsoft to iterate and change their UI because they're using a mature and fully fledged UI stack with a lot of tooling, documentation and flexibility, and their developers have a lotmof experience with it. (The Windows 10 shell is even built with UWP XAML these days)

And every layer / element on the UI gets its own render texture rather than being flattened on top of each other. So even a simple game tile has a BGRA background image texture, an A8 texture for the text label and a texture BGRA texture for a colour behind the label that get placed on top of each each other, rather than creating a single composite texture.

Which makes sense for a general purpose UI system because we don't know who needs to be redrawn when, and don't want the cost of redrawing entire cascading trees constantly, but means when you increase resolution, you can get a lot of potential memory increase - but not even close to 1GB from XAML elements alone. The biggest increase is probably literally from the resolution of the bitmap image assets like game art and full screen background art - and the of course, all the apps would also render in 4K with their own increased memory usage, taking up parts of the allocated Windows side of the memory pool

It is, however, literally a case of them flipping a switch to get it to happen for the most part. XAML was designed even in the old WPF days to scale perfectly with DPI/ resolution, so if they told it to render at 4K right now, it would, with very little work.
Thanks, this is super insightful and extremely detailed. I've very little to virtually no experience with teams working on UWA apps or developing UIs for Windows using XAML, but this all makes sense as explained. Really appreciate you taking the time to type it all out.

My thoughts had also been that the vast majority of increased memory usage would have to be higher res BMPs for things like game cover art and backgrounds, but it still seems unlikely that puts the increase at 1GB, all things considered.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Tbh with it being a flat design a flat design I don't even notice it that much.

Ofc a crisper display would be nice but it impacts me in no way what so ever. If their alleged performance benefits/gains then even better.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
It's all about the games until the dashboard needs to be 4k. I'm surprised giving an extra gig to devs is frowned upon.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh with it being a flat design a flat design I don't even notice it that much.

Ofc a crisper display would be nice but it impacts me in no way what so ever. If their alleged performance benefits/gains then even better.
The flat design makes it more strange. It should be very easily designed by scalable objects like in any other GUI for phones or computers.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

Are you seriously implying that launch titles and crossgen titles are optimized in such a way that both systems are utilized to their fullest? Furthermore, the UI is mainly about RAM. Not exactly to do with framerate stability or whatever.

on the ps4 pro there are some games when i open the dashboard midgame, it literally takes 20-30 sec to navigate to a menu because its so laggy. Never had that on the X1x.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
So PS5 is providing less RAM for games but still matching and sometimes exceeding XSX performance? PS5 is a beast!

None of these cross-gen games are taking advantage of the Series X. Sucks but true. Late and immature tools are a thing unfortunately. I reckon by mid next year the pendulum will start swinging the other way in a more definitive way.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I couldn't care less about it. If there was a prioritized list of 100 things I wanted MS to improve with the Series X, this would be number 100.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's a little irksome but it's ultimately just a UI that gets me to the actual content so I won't be losing any sleep over it. Plus, if I can deal with the shithouse 720p Switch home screen blown up on my 65" 4K TV, I can stomach the 1080p Xbox dash.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
I didn't even know this (65 inch OLED here) until I read it a few weeks ago. So... hmm... yeah they can, but not very high on my must have list TBH.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Don't care/notice and I generally forget about it until someone brings it up here tbh.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I just couldn't care less to be honest. Unless it takes away resource available from games. If so, leave it.

Kvothe Ctaeh

Sep 29, 2020
The resolution is the least of my concern because I find the UI on series X to be horrendous to begin with. Still not used to it. The PS5 ui looks much more polished from what I have seen. But it just might be a personal opinion.

Chippewa Barr