digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A few games look pretty good, like Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Animal Crossing.

But sooo many games just look like utter dogshit to me. Enough so that they completely turn me off to wanting to play the game at all.

Hopefully a Switch 4K type device will be announced soon.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
4K visuals arent top priority for me.

I'd rather have 1080p if I can get 60 FPS of goodness.

Anyways, there's far worse things to be offended/discouraged to buy a game on a Nintendo platform.

-Joycon drift issue
-Limited availability for digital versions of games (Super Mario 3D All stars, Fire Emblem 1 port, Super Mario 35..)
-Lack of an achievement system (this for me personally and the reason why I dont buy multiplat third titles on Switch but double dip on PS and PC instead)
-The requirement to use motion controls, etc
-And recently gen wise - paywall for MP.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Totally okay with the way things are on Nintendo's consoles. What bothers me more is poor image quality, dodgy frame rates and sub-native resolution in handheld.

Deleted member 43552

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2018
I'd love 4k high fidelity Nintendo games but what frustrates me 10x more is entire franchises that have been abandoned or haven't had a good release in ages. Give me F-Zero, Starfox, Metroid, Advance Wars, etc. There is only so much Mario I can handle.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I am frustrated with Nintendo for a number of things, but not this. I mean, most Nintendo games are heavily focused on art style over graphic fidelity anyway, so I don't think this is much of an issue at all tbh. Sounds more just like Nintendo probably isn't for you if all you're really is looking for is that. They bailed out of that race years ago.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
4K visuals arent top priority for me.

I'd rather have 1080p if I can get 60 FPS of goodness.

Anyways, there's far worse things to be offended by Nintendo

-Joycon drift issue
-Limited availability for digital versions of games (Super Mario 3D All stars, Fire Emblem 1 port, Super Mario 35..)
-Lack of an achievement system (this for me personally and the reason why I dont buy multiplat third titles on Switch but double dip on PS and PC instead)
-The requirement to use motion controls, etc
-And recently gen wise - paywall for MP.

The joycon drift issue is the only one I would count out of those, imo.

About the motion controls, yeah it sucks when they push it on some games, but they are also the ones who better use Gyro and where FPS are more comfortable to play by far (If you only count consoles) so idk.

Krypt

Nov 10, 2017
Center of the World
Nintendo does not chase visuals, they are gameplay first and unique art styles. I mean looking at Breath of the Wild and thats a WiiU game.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sure it'd be cool if they stayed up with trends in graphics, but it really hasn't bothered me too much. I still find their games immensely enjoyable, so as long as that stays true and the games at least continue to look better over time, I'm good.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Eventually the cost of producing powerful mobile chipsets will reach a satisfying point where we can keep the hybrid form factor of the Switch and achieve "4K" visuals through various forms of reconstruction, DLSS, upscaling, etc.

Diminishing returns and all that, BotW and Odyssey at 900p upscaled to 1080p look better on my 4K TV in 2020 compared to how Skyward Sword looked on my 1080p set back in 2011. The Switch revision may push 1st party games to 1080p native which would be wonderful.

Playing Xenoblade Definitive Edition, while it is easily one of the most beautiful games I've ever played art direction wise, I will absolutely not deny that the hardware and engine limitations (bandwidth issues?) are holding it back in some way - portable mode looks fuzzy, and while breathtaking on my 1080p set it is noticeably low-res on my 4k one. I would be satisfied with a Switch revision patch that bumps it to 900-1080p and 720p in portable mode.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm frustrated with Nintendo but it has nothing to do with graphics. It's the way they have handled the defective joycons, the unnecessary limited releases, high prices, etc..

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Not frustrated at all. Could not less about 4K or visuals. Switch games consistently blow me away with graphics and really can't see much of a difference between that and my PS4 Pro. The portability of the Switch is more important to me than the graphics. It sounds like Nintendo just isn't for you.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
588a54354757520b128b49cc

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
We'll most likely get 4K games thanks to DLSS. Not sure what people are talking about with next next gen.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
What going on why have I been summoned ?
OP mentioned Demon Souls, not Demon's Souls.

www.resetera.com

Is Demon's Souls the most willfully mispronounced game title.

It's pretty wild That so many people refuse to Properly pronounce Demon's Souls properly. It use to be a huge problem on this form but now I feel a majority of people properly say Demon's souls But if you go on youtube or twitch Most people including professional Games media Continue to...

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I'm just waiting it out for Nintendo until they release their Switch revision then I'll be the judge of their visual fidelity.

Though I have to say, not bumping Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and Pikmin 3 to 1080p HD docked is concerning.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I have many grievances with Nintendo and 4K resolution is at the bottom of my list. We suffered with abysmal resolution on the Wii and 3DS for years. At this point, I'm just thankful we can even play Nintendo games in HD.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I'd much rather have them make a super powerful switch successor that focuses more on performance than 4K. 4K would be super cool but I'm sick of switch ports running at a half ass framerate or having internet issues. Just a 1080P focused machine with enough power to hit 60 on a ton of games, maybe some achievements added and a 4K option for those who prefer it, and I'd be pleased. But with the Switch being primarily a handheld I don't think we'll ever see anything like that. I'm glad that Nintendo's games usually run smooth but then I see stuff like Link's Awakening and Kirby Star Allies and get really frustrated.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I fully understand the cost behind the UHD Twins, and Nintendo dont have that money but God is it anoying.

This is almost certainly not the reason why they won't do it.

But in answer to your question, no. Nintendo games already look great so there's not all that much to worry about.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. 4K doesn't make the game better, I actually played all of BOTW , Odyssey on my 4K gaming PC monitor. They look great.

I much prefer the improve and iterate on the Switch concept with a super Switch which if rumors are true might be what we get next year.

Switch is eating everyone's lunch right now. I dont see that changing with next gen launching.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't come close to being on the list of things frustrating about them.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Nintendo has easily the money, but with their hybrid strategy it will take a while for 4K and RT to arrive. But they already made the best bet with Nvidia, because they have techniques like DLSS, which would deliver the goods with a Pro or Switch 2. Just wait and enjoy games like Everwild, Falcon, Ratchet with similar artstyles.

Apr 21, 2018
I must be old, because I remember going years waiting for Nintendo to make HD games and add online multiplayer.
I'm pretty satisfied they reached those two quotas.

I can wait a bit longer for 4K/HDR, etc.
I mean, the Switch is a handheld after all.

And their artists are fantastic. Splatoon, Mario Kart, ARMs, Odyssey, Smash -- they all run at a locked 60fps and look great.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Immensely frustrated with their online infrastructure and offering. Probably the biggest waste of potential in gaming right now. But visuals? Not what I come to Nintendo for.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
zelda is already gorgeous as is odyssey so I don't have any issues whatsoever over their graphics. the art direction of their games already looks better than most graphically powerful titles

Jan 11, 2020
They have a different audience and first party is best in the world so Im happy anyway.
A true 4k, HDR, VRR console would be Beautiful, but Nintendo has my money either way..
I always play my switch either in my daughters room (42 inch 1080p) where the dock is, or handheld.
It just does not work on the C9 imo.

Also, after playing through Crash and Spyro on it - they have more pressing issues tbh. The responsiveness and the drifting sucks so f*ing bad :(

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I'm fine with what they are doing. It's the joycons bullshit that frustrates me.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the exact opposite. I could not care less about 4k anything. Stationary consoles do not interest me the slightest.

I like games I can actually have time to play and enjoy, I don't really care that much what their resolution is.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On the contrary, I'd much rather Sony and Microsoft produce small portable/hybrid gaming machines I can enjoy everywhere rather than 300+ watt behemoths that tether us to the TV.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I mean, their games already look great on current tech. I don't have the urge to buy any of the next-gen systems either, so I'm certainly in no rush to see Nintendo going 4K or anything.

heck, back on the Wii being SD against HD consoles I didn't mind.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
My only real needs are a higher than 1080p resolution output. Mario Galaxy at 4k looks incredible to me. Playing Switch games on my 4K OLED TV is suffering.

HDR would be nice but I don't expect it from Nintendo.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo still has the whole "coming too late to HD" Wii to WiiU transition mess fresh in their minds. I know they can be wacky and unconventional in the best/worst possible ways, but everything points to them jumping to 4k muuuch sooner than you would typically expect of them (albeit DLSS, not native).

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
BotW is already beautiful, I'm fine thanks.

Anyway they'll get there eventually, they're actually way further along technically this gen than they have been the last few. Whatever's next will probably support 4k one way or another. Maybe by then I'll even own a 4k set and care!