Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Statistics be damned. Here's what is going through my mind:

1. There are more cars on the road than airplanes in the sky. In my mind, this means cars are incredibly safe seeing as how there are so many at any given time and for the fact that it doesn't require a fucking professional aviator to drive it. Cars must be easier and safer to drive if any idiot can get a license. With planes, there are only a fraction active at any given time relative to cars. AND they don't have to worry about bumper to bumper/head on collisions. The fact that they crash at all just due to random engine failures makes me sweat.

2. Not all car accidents are fatal even tho there are more crashes in cars than planes. But almost all planes crashes are fatal.

Vex is never gonna step foot on a plane. And you're not gonna make me. I will drive where ever I have to go. Going over seas? No problem. I'll just drive in the water. I'd rather drive my car in the water than take a plane. That's how scary airplanes are. At least I'm in control of the car in the water rather than some random guy in the front of a plane.

Who's with me?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Planes suck, your sheep icon is adorable. Case closed.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
2. Not all car accidents are fatal even tho there are more crashes in cars than planes. But almost all planes crashes are fatal.

Must be nice just making up facts. Most plane accidents are not fatal

But when the US National Transportation Safety Board did a review of national aviation accidents from 1983-1999, it found that more than 95% of aircraft occupants survived accidents, including 55% in the most serious incidents.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
You're more likely to be hit by an asteroid while having explosive diarrhea or something.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Honestly, I do get the "most plane crashes are fatal" argument, but think about it this way:

How many planes are crashing right now? Probably none. With cars? A bunch.

But anyway, being on a plane is an awesome experience. Being up in the clouds, watching everything go by is quite a sight.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Planes are awful but there's a lot of cool places you can only go via sky so you gotta suck it up.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah I fear for my life everyday I'm in a car. People are crazy and car deaths happen everyday. Planes not so much.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Am I reading this correctly?

Approximately, 90 per cent of aircraft accidents can be categorised as survivable or technically survivable. In round and, of course, fluctuating figures it is estimated that of the 1500 who die each year in air transport accidents some 900 die in non-survivable accidents. The other 600 die in accidents which are technically survivable and crashworthiness, fire and evacuation issues are all important. Of these 600 perhaps 330 die as a direct result of the impact and 270 due to the effects of smoke, toxic fumes, heat and resulting evacuation problems.

This sounds like even if they aren't dying from the crash itself (impact), they are still dying in relation to fire, toxic fumes, etc.. as a result of the crash. That still sounds kinda bad. I feel like I'm reading this wrong.

Also wot?

"...of the 1500 who die each year in air transport accidents some 900 die in non-survivable accidents."

"Of these 600 perhaps 330 die as a direct result of the impact..."

How do people die in a non survivable accident that isn't a result of impact (the crash itself)? Huh?

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, other than the sheer number of cars on the road to take into account, the fact that any idiot can get a license (and others will still drive without a valid one) has everything to do with why there are so many more automobile accidents.
Nah I fear for my life everyday I'm in a car. People are crazy and car deaths happen everyday. Planes not so much.
Also this. You may have control of your own car OP, but not of anyone else's.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This kind of thinking with your gut instead of your brain is how you get anti vaxxers and flat earthers, so congrats I guess op

Rukes

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I fly just about every weekend for work; from hour long flights to almost 24 hours in the air getting to south asia. Flying is amazing. I get to turn off social media and the internet, spend time catching up on TV shows and movies, and play my Switch.

In my years and years of flying tons of aircraft from most major carriers, the only "bad" flight I have ever been on was just a basic Qantas flight from Melbourne to Adelaide with heavy winds, just pushing the plane up and down like a rollercoaster. I hate rollercoasters. So if I liked them, it wouldn't be bad.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
OP on a plane:

KhX3A1d.gif

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I hadn't been on one until well into my twenties.

You aren't missing anything. It's awful and uncomfortable. Airports are terrible too.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Death probably won't come for you this year, but if it does, it's almost certainly going to be out of your control, so don't worry about it. You probably do riskier things than air travel just by leaving the house. Or heck, even while in your house. It's one of the most tightly regulated and scheduled activities in the world and is the gateway to most of the rest of the world. I mean, you don't have to do it or anything, but don't keep any illusions that you're living a safer life for it.

Chi-Guy

Alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2019
I fly once a week at least. Sometimes I fly to two different cities in the same day for work.

I feel so much safer in a plane then on the drive to the airport

Oct 27, 2017
Hate flying but travel frequently.

Can't imagine being stuck on this fucking continent with my only travel options really being "drive to to the states".

Chasex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The idea of an airplane crashing is scarier than a car, but the reality is (well, until the recent Boeing stuff) that planes don't just fall out of the sky. Commercial airliners have so much redundancy and can fly on one engine. They can always glide too.

Even high turbulence is not reallly an issue, commercial planes are engineered to handle much higher thresholds than whatever you're flying through, unless it's like the perfect storm...in which case you wouldn't be flying in it.

So that's enough reason for me to disregard the actual flying part. It then becomes an issue of takeoff and landing. Takeoff is whatever, you're still on the ground ffs. Landing? I got over that because actually the plane is not going that fast during landing and the runway is huge. Just put the wheels down and get the landing somewhat right and it will be fine. It's like parking a car for these pilots.

Note, this is my personal head logic and is not subject to reality.

Oct 25, 2017
I like planes. I've even flown a small one a few times. My only complaint is I hate the airline seats. I'm a stubborn light sleeper so I can't get to sleep in those damn uncomfortable seats no matter how long the flight, even with a sleeping pill. I've flown across the atlantic in the middle of the night and just had to tough it out. Eventually when I start getting restless I just start wandering the aisles just so I can move my legs. But short flights are fun.

DiscoPizza

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been on one. I picked up a friend at the airport two weeks ago and it's the first time I've ever been to one.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
I hate going on planes but not because I'm afraid it'll crash. It just makes me physically ill and I can't sleep, have no appetite and my ass hurts from sitting there for 8+ hrs if I'm going to most places overseas due to be in Australia.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Most plane accidents are survivable. Also I don't think every idiot being able to drive is a positive. You have kids with like 5 hours of driving experience on the roads, drunk drivers, people who completely ignore traffic laws. Planes not having to deal with as much congestion is a good thing. Barring mechanical failure, the most dangerous times to be in a plane are landing and take off. That's like maybe 10% of the flight if you count ascending/descending. A single aircraft can fly 50k km plus, maybe 50 flights in a week, and carry 200+ people each flight. There's about 87,000 flights per day in the US, and there has been exactly 1 death in a decade on a US flight related to the aircraft. I'm sure most people remember it too. There were probably 3-4 billion passengers on those flights, and exactly one died due to a mechanical failure.

Last edited:

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
I hate being on planes every time I fly.

That being said, I have to fly. So, what I practice is mindfulness to take myself out of the situation. Nothing I do will change the start, end, or duration of the trip.

Doctors will prescribe safe sedatives as well. No shame in using those either.

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I used to feel the same way you do OP. I got on a plane about a year and a half ago. They're honestly pretty cool and I look forward to flying now.

I would recommend taking a short cheap flight to the next nearest airport. Somewhere that you can just Uber back home. It could be life changing, or it could confirm how you feel.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
If you take one flight a day, on average you'd have to fly every day for 55,000 years to be in a fatal crash.

Car travel is exponentially more dangerous. Like if the odds of plane death scare you into never flying you should be too afraid to even look at a car, let alone get in one.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
You have the opportunity to visit every corner of the planet - an incredible privilege, historically speaking - and you're gonna let baseless fear keep you from enjoying that? Nah, man.

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I flew 5 times between 2002 and 2005, it was a lifelong fear and I was terrified and was damn near in panic mode when I got seated on the plane.

First time flying experience, on an airliner that is, I went from being terrified, to thrilled, to bored within the span of 15 minutes. The rest of the flight just felt like being on a bus.

Cilla

Oct 29, 2017
Queensland, Australia
I don't enjoy flying and I am not looking forward to flying solo with my two year old in June but I love traveling and exploring the world. Must be sad missing out. Also stop making facts up lol.

Oct 29, 2017
Cars are so much more dangerous than planes it's not even funny.

The fact that they give a license to drive to any idiot is a cause of concern, not comfort.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a pretty rough landing about 12 hours ago. The first time I've ever felt serious pain in my ears. The whole process of air travel really sucks ass.