• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 11, 2017
I watched Captain Marvel last night and first of all, really enjoyed it. Fun movie from beginning to end, with most of it being great and quite a few parts being spectacular. If you want good action, a few laughs, and some beautiful special effects, I think it's worth your time.

Now then, I couldn't help but get a very Metroid-inspired vibe in the beginning of the movie...almost to that of Other M. Some may see the similarities, others not, but what I think is pretty unarguable is the main music that accompanies Brie Larson's character and how close it is to Super Metroid.

Similar to Wonder Woman's guitar riff that follows her around, Captain Marvel has her own distinct sound, which isn't too far off from this:

If you have seen the film, do you agree? And if you are planning on watching it, perhaps listen to this classic music first to see if you hear a similarity!

Last edited:
OP
OP
PaulGaleNetwork
Dec 11, 2017
i kinda thought brie larson could be a kickass samus

And she actually wants to do it. The liking of the character already exists for her, so that can only help with delivering well.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but because of that thread, I've looked up the movie score.
It sounds pretty good, and there's an undeniable 90s sci-fi thing in here. Love it.

EDIT: can't put the video directly in here for some reason. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmlKJpZwYag

You got that right!

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With the close relationship of marvel and Nintendo these days (that marvel switch game), as well as this movie clearly inspired by Metroid, how likely is that we get a Captain Toad x Captain Marvel crossover? And will it be a film or video game or both?

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
OMG, I think you're right, and it makes total sense because:

She looks like Samus when she has those tubes stuck on her hands and going around a dark ship taking down Skrulls

It might indeed be a reference to Super Metroid, seeing as it came out in 1994, around the same time the movie takes place.

OP
OP
PaulGaleNetwork
Dec 11, 2017
With the close relationship of marvel and Nintendo these days (that marvel switch game), as well as this movie clearly inspired by Metroid, how likely is that we get a Captain Toad x Captain Marvel crossover? And will it be a film or video game or both?

Captain Toad x Captain Marvel seems inevitable! It's going to be the biggest movie and game of the year!

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
It was a superb movie, and I can hear the similarities as well. Captain Marvel handled the sci-fi aspect much better than the Thor movies ever did. It gives it a unique identity -- though not as stylish as Metroid. It's a surprise people call the movie "meh".

OP
OP
PaulGaleNetwork
Dec 11, 2017
OMG, I think you're right, and it makes total sense because:

She looks like Samus when she has those tubes stuck on her hands and going around a dark ship taking down Skrulls

It might indeed be a reference to Super Metroid, seeing as it came out in 1994, around the same time the movie takes place.

The shot of her looking out over the city reminded me of young Samus in Other M. Those tubes you mentioned? Yup! Hallway choices, the GameBoy, the music, etc. I bet we'll hear sooner or later, that more of the movie's peeps, aside Brie, are Metroid fans.

I definitely hear it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

It was a superb movie, and I can hear the similarities as well. Captain Marvel handled the sci-fi aspect much better than the Thor movies ever did. It gives it a unique identity -- though not as stylish as Metroid. It's a surprise people call the movie "meh".

Yeah I really liked it, too! I thought it was fun and different...enough so to make it stand out as a solid origin piece. I'm glad you enjoyed it and agree on the music!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yea....I hear some general sounding kenji yamamoto metroidy stuff in that. That little background part at 35 seconds sounds like background part of the sanctuary fortress theme in prime 2.

MarcyPoos

Oct 25, 2017
Definite Metroid vibes, particularly in THAT scene. Couldn't believe what I was seeing lol

Deleted member 46922

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I'll try the movie again and try to notice that, but it's the worst Marvel movie to this day, so that will take a while.

Deleted member 46922

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Sure, it's even worse than Thor 2 and Iron Man 2!!1!!&

You're right, even worse than that, but it wasn't garbage, just messy and I really disliked the acting. But the topic was about the music, so I'm not going to keep hating the movie, I'm just going to watch it again in a few months and focus more on the music. :)

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not hearing the Super Metroid at all, but I agree with the other poster that said it sounds like Mass Effect

Oct 27, 2017
Movies have been doing things years after they were already done in video games. Just today I saw a trailer for a movie basically replicating the opening train scene from final fantasy xiii. And captain marvel has some mass effect squad action stuff going on, and a scene reminiscent of a scene in assassin's creed revelations. Though I'd rather play as Captain Marvel or the "busters" in Anthem than any of the javelins, so sometimes movies still do some things first.

OP
OP
PaulGaleNetwork
Dec 11, 2017
Yea....I hear some general sounding kenji yamamoto metroidy stuff in that. That little background part at 35 seconds sounds like background part of the sanctuary fortress theme in prime 2.

Yeah! Man am I stoked for Prime 4!

Definite Metroid vibes, particularly in THAT scene. Couldn't believe what I was seeing lol

I felt like I was watching a longer version of the live action Metroid Prime commercial from back in the day. (During this early scenes.)

I'll try the movie again and try to notice that, but it's the worst Marvel movie to this day, so that will take a while.

Too bad you didn't like it. Here's to Endgame for you!

save the animal is now canon

Haha.

Sure, it's even worse than Thor 2 and Iron Man 2!!1!!&

I liked it better than Iron Man 2. I rank it pretty up there, actually.

Imagine thinking that in a world where Thor 2 and literally half of Phase 1 exist.

Lots of different opinions for sure!

Not hearing the Super Metroid at all, but I agree with the other poster that said it sounds like Mass Effect

I think that vibrating/rumbling is similar, but yeah, Mass Effect too.

Movies have been doing things years after they were already done in video games. Just today I saw a trailer for a movie basically replicating the opening train scene from final fantasy xiii. And captain marvel has some mass effect squad action stuff going on, and a scene reminiscent of a scene in assassin's creed revelations. Though I'd rather play as Captain Marvel or the "busters" in Anthem than any of the javelins, so sometimes movies still do some things first.

All cross pollination!

hyperbole much? this is not ironman 2, thor 2 or avengers 2 tier. its probably worse than ragnarok, black panther or civil war.. id put it at dr. strange level

Hopefully you had a bit of fun with it.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I was waiting for the triumphant part of Theme of Samus kicking in, it never happened :(

This is how that theme would sound on a modern Metroid movie:

I can hear only the rumbling part of the theme on Captain Marvel, so its not enough for me to say it was inspired.

Some parts sounded very Mass Effect-y to me.

Yes, it really sound like some parts of Mass effect 2's ost.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Opinions, I respect them. So for you it is. :)

No, objectively it's a great Marvel film, it doesn't suffer from the pacing issues that plague some of the older films and its comfortable in its own skin enough that the film doesn't feel like it just exists to move you onto the next Avengers film.

OP
OP
PaulGaleNetwork
Dec 11, 2017
It was an elegant way to get in an audition demo reel for any future Metroid movie

Let's see if it works! By 2022, we'll have ourselves a CGI Mario film and who knows, maybe a live action Metroid could happen after that. 😁

I was waiting for the triumphant part of Theme of Samus kicking in, it never happened :(

This is how that theme would sound on a modern Metroid movie:

I can hear only the rumbling part of the theme on Captain Marvel, so its not enough for me to say it was inspired.

Yes, it really sound like some parts of Mass effect 2's ost.

That music from Samus Returns is nice. It'd go well in a movie. As for the rumble, the Super Metroid prologue music's take is different that Captain Marvel's, but comparable enough in my opinion. Either way, both are nice!

No, objectively it's a great Marvel film, it doesn't suffer from the pacing issues that plague some of the older films and its comfortable in its own skin enough that the film doesn't feel like it just exists to move you onto the next Avengers film.

Yeah I thought the movie had a good flow to it, too.

I want this just because the salt this would produce would keep the ice clear from my driveway for centuries.

Are you referring to if Brie Larson would ever be case as Samus Aran in a live action Metroid movie?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's see if it works! By 2022, we'll have ourselves a CGI Mario film and who knows, maybe a live action Metroid could happen after that. 😁

That music from Samus Returns is nice. It'd go well in a movie. As for the rumble, the Super Metroid prologue music's take is different that Captain Marvel's, but comparable enough in my opinion. Either way, both are nice!

Yeah I thought the movie had a good flow to it, too.

Are you referring to if Brie Larson would ever be case as Samus Aran in a live action Metroid movie?

Yes. Yes I am.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

tenor.gif

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It was Star Wars-like music for me in the end part with the ships and stuff. Heck, the movie even has a "millenium falcon is chased by a TIE fighter through the canyons" scene.

OP
OP
PaulGaleNetwork
Dec 11, 2017

Then here is to that Metroid movie happening!

Um that's straight up Mass Effect.

I could see the similarities there.

Haha.

You couldn't be more incorrect. The worst Marvel movie?!

I thought it was great! What did you think overall?

It was Star Wars-like music for me in the end part with the ships and stuff. Heck, the movie even has a "millenium falcon is chased by a TIE fighter through the canyons" scene.

Yeah, that scene was cool.

Going to stay on topic in that one, i think your right OP, there's Metroid vibe in it!

Definitely! When you listen to them back to back, I think you could see the inspiration that Captain Marvel got from our beloved Super Metroid. 😁 especially since the game came out in 1994 in the movie is set in 1995. Making people feel like it does take place in the mid 90s with more than just city aesthetic, but audio.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
Then here is to that Metroid movie happening!

I could see the similarities there.

Haha.

I thought it was great! What did you think overall?

Yeah, that scene was cool.

Definitely! When you listen to them back to back, I think you could see the inspiration that Captain Marvel got from our beloved Super Metroid. 😁 especially since the game came out in 1994 in the movie is set in 1995. Making people feel like it does take place in the mid 90s with more than just city aesthetic, but audio.

I liked it alot! The previews did absolutely nothing for me for the most part but I still wanted to see it. Once it started I was happy with what was on screen. 7.5/10 for me.

OP
OP
PaulGaleNetwork
Dec 11, 2017
I liked it alot! The previews did absolutely nothing for me for the most part but I still wanted to see it. Once it started I was happy with what was on screen. 7.5/10 for me.

That's good hearing. When you're not expecting much and are pleasantly surprised...that's a satisfying outcome.

529768-Larsonheader.jpg

Brie Larson also supports Waluigi btw

It will probably be a crossover film: Mushroom Metroid: Samus x Waluigi.