CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dab on all you haters, that scene will always be my fav scene of any movie.

"Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man, before throwing him out of a plane."

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I like it more now than I did before because I know it's not good going back in.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Its the worst in the series.....but I enjoy it more than any MCU or DCU movie. Warts and all I enjoy the tone of the Nolan movies.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
First time I saw this piece of shit of a movie I was in denial.
I tried to watch it without subtitles back when my English wasn't that good, and I thought I hadn't understood the plot because I couldn't get everything.
But no, the film was just fucking awful.

RedValkyrie

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen it recently but I enjoyed.

What's wrong with that line?
For me TDK is the one who aged the worse, I saw the trilogy last week with my sister who LOVES to nitpick every goddamn plot-hole and I found myself agreeing with her more than I could admit.
I always thought it was just a boring movie.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The only major problem I have with it is that Nolan acquiesced to complaints about the prologue and fucked up Bane's voice in the opening. Hardy's delivery was so much better in the original version (and you can still hear a bit of it on "crashing this plane"). The new line readings were all for the worse. Don't know why Nolan couldn't have just tweaked the mix to make it sound clearer as opposed to having Hardy re-read the whole scene.

That, and the way Matthew Modine's character is killed off is really lame. There's footage on-set of Talia's Tumbler running him over and killing him that way, don't know why they just didn't use that version.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The plot is horrible. No need to mention all the stupidity and inconsistencies, or the horribly directed action scenes. I was also bothered by the hero worship of police, from their Braveheart like final attack and it being made clear that they and Batman were the only ones who could save the city. Funny, the idiot police all went into the sewer together to get trapped. So much for recon. And they could have done away with the Robin character and nothing of value would be missed. The only highlight was Tom Hardy as Bane. Not as good as Ledger as the joker, but pretty damn good in his own way, especially given the material.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
I didn't enjoy it in the cinema or at home. I thought it had tremendous potential from the trailers but it just felt rushed. Should have been a 2 parter really but I doubt Nolan would have had the patience. Also the fight / action scenes are AWFUL apart from the opener.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I know, I still think it's great.
indeed. I remember being in that theatre watching it being blown away.

Take that Harvey Dent car flip scene. You can turn into Mr CinemaSins and say "how is Harvey walking around doing all this craziness when he just got out of the hospital" etc. But watching it, I'm always horrified that amid all the chaos and madness going on, there's this secret menace that has been created and let loose by the Joker for a while now that's slowly overtaking the movie.

You get several scenes of Harvey eliminating key members of the mob and corrupt cops, a once dangerous element consumed by this new evil: a good man turned bad. And what really filled me with dread is that you know eventually he's gonna get around to the good guys, and none of them see him coming. It's a battle they've lost before they know it's started. This makes that final standoff between Gordon and Harvey more tense and scary than horror movies I've seen.

So yeah the narrative value in that means more than nitpicking plot holes and other "mistakes". CinemaSinning has no value in evaluating storytelling.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Catwoman was so undeveloped! The ending wasn't believable because they barely interacted.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Watched it a couple weeks ago. Still really enjoyed it and still find complaints about it pretty nitpicky. Opinions and all!

Oct 25, 2017
It sucked the first time I watched it, I have no desire to ever watch it again.

Batman Begins stays winning.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
It is shit just like everything in the MCU but unlike MCU it at least has some decent cinematography.

There will maybe be one day when we get a blockbuster super hero movie that compares to the Matrix, Terminator, Aliens, Jurassic Park, Mad Max etc.. but we are just not there yet.

MrSaxon

Jan 29, 2018
London
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but you mention that you didn't like the movie on release and you don't like it now. I'm not sure how this is proof that it ages badly. Surely, the evidence would be more conclusive if you at least enjoyed it at first but, after time has passed, have found it lacking during a rewatch.

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't like it when I first saw it. There are parts that are off. However, I've grown to see it as more of a rumination on anxiety on both a societal and personal level. I watched it a month ago with this in mind and found myself really enjoying it.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but you mention that you didn't like the movie on release and you don't like it now. I'm not sure how this is proof that it ages badly. Surely, the evidence would be more conclusive if you at least enjoyed it at first but, after time has passed, have found it lacking during a rewatch.
I thought it was C movie at release. Disappointed, but not horrible. I thought it was terrible on rewatch.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still better than everything DC has put out since, by orders of magnitude.

Still better than most Marvel films.

Still has a better villain than almost all comic book movies that came after it.

And that soundtrack... I still listen to "All Out War" and "Imagine The Fire" frequently.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
a10f8a2b229d650e9418ca921ee11481.gif

Terrible fight choreography aside the movie just had a stupid storyline. Every cop trapped in sewers etc just felt so poorly done.

You could tell Nolan was done with the trilogy.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
especially Thalia's death. What were they thinking?

Ok, I'm going to nip this one in the bud. Here's why such a ridiculous scene stayed in the film, and also how that stupid extra ruined a shot in Dunkirk: Nolan has an obsession with old school filmmaking and will not shoot digital.

So in the editing bay they look at the rushes and realise an extra ruined the shot, but they don't have the time or budget to go back and reshoot. So it stays in.

Talia's death stayed in for the same reason, and consider this: that was the best take they had! In another take she must have been even worse!

I don't blame her though, we all know she's a good actor, the director is at fault here.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I like how the cops lost all their guns while they were down there sitting in the sewers. Then they all ran down the street straight into gunfire like idiots.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
That's because it was actually always bad. For as much as I love Batman Begins and The Dark Knight I've always felt like The Dark Knight Rises was abysmal trash. In my eyes this movie and Green Lantern were the start of DC's run of awful movies.

Oct 30, 2017
I've just come to the conclusion that Bane was not a good character to end the trilogy on. I honestly think they should have stopped after Heath died. Nolan should have had the stones to refuse knowing full well he wasn't going to really give it his all.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've had no desire to rewatch it. Once was enough.

I've rewatched both Begins and TDK and couple of times.

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Knight.......bad?

I don't know you people.

Yeah, it's not a bad movie but it's definitely too long. Doesn't need the scene with the two ferries for a start but in this day and age there's no middle ground between it's amazing and it's the worst thing I've ever seen. Saying The Dark Knight was alright doesn't get any reaction.

But Dark Knight Rises was genuinely shitty.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
It's the first Nolan movie I've watched that doesn't even work on the first viewing. Usually they're great on the first watch, and then they kind of start to fall apart a bit when you watch them again. This one was stupid from the beginning.

Oct 26, 2017
New York
It was ridiculous to start with. My friend and I actually burst out laughing in the theater when Blake's real name was revealed to be Robin, and I still laugh at the film today.

"Bring us strawberries!"

Yes I know that wasn't in the movie.

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
First post wins.

By the way I don't agree. While not as good as TDK it's still one of the finest superhero movies around. Despite its flaws, I'd rather rewatch that than generic colourful spandex superhero movie #243493.
100%

It's no where near as good as TDK but that's only because TDK is probably the best superhero movie ever.

Despite the slight jumps required to suspend disbelief (why did all the cops go underground? How did Batman get from prison to Gotham so quickly? Etc.) it's still a really enjoyable movie.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Bane is the most quotable superhero movie character ever. That alone makes this film worth it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's an incredible bore. So much of it is just poor, but it's biggest crime is how utterly uninteresting and dull it is.

Nov 18, 2017
TDK works despite it's plot holes because the Joker and Two Face were exceptionally well done and it's an exhilarating rollercoaster ride the first time round. It gets worse on rewatch because the second half is a mess. The boats and phone-hacking were a set-piece and sub-plot too many. It's still the best of the trilogy and by far the most iconic.

Batman Begins might be the most consistent, but it's also pretty dull. Scarecrow is underdeveloped. The climax is naff.

TDKR has some potential with hobbling Bruce Wayne and Cat Woman, but unfortunately misses every single note it needed to hit. A stupid plot, laughable villains, boring set pieces. It was always the worst film in the trilogy.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100%

It's no where near as good as TDK but that's only because TDK is probably the best superhero movie ever.

Despite the slight jumps required to suspend disbelief (why did all the cops go underground? How did Batman get from prison to Gotham so quickly? Etc.) it's still a really enjoyable movie.

Exactly, it really gets all the hate because it was preceded by the best superhero movie ever. Had it been a standalone Batman movie, people would have called it one of the finest Batman flicks ever and one of the better superhero movies, too. I enjoy Marvel movies from time to time but I can't take people seriously when they say Marvel's movies beat any of Nolan's movies.