Oct 25, 2017
Well it's more like a zoom meeting but you get the point. Seen lots of silly videos of it on tiktok.
8gn4cq7emzzc1.jpeg

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
www.resetera.com

This "Portal" concept linking cities is pretty neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRvbxiCj79E There's one in Lithuania and Poland, and one is launching between Dublin Ireland and New York in a few weeks. Stargate theme intensifies I like how everyone's reaction is to smile.

They put it in the shittest place in Dublin, and because of the timezone difference the New Yorkers are going to see a ton of drunken people coming out of pubs late at night.

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
www.resetera.com

This "Portal" concept linking cities is pretty neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRvbxiCj79E There's one in Lithuania and Poland, and one is launching between Dublin Ireland and New York in a few weeks. Stargate theme intensifies I like how everyone's reaction is to smile.

They put it in the shittest place in Dublin, and because of the timezone difference the New Yorkers are going to see a ton of drunken people coming out of pubs late at night.
This genuinely makes the whole thing even better.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Really seems like a project that shouldn't be online after dark. Just drunks on either side.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Terrible part of Dublin to put it in. Not surprised at that mobile phone shot.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Dublin 'portal' to see changes after 'inappropriate behaviour'

The 'portal' allows people in Dublin and New York to connect via a live video feed

The 'portal' allows people in Dublin and New York to connect via a live video feed.

Changes will be made to the way the 'Portal' installation in Dublin is operating due to the "inappropriate behaviour" of some of those who are using it, Dublin City Council has said.

The "technical solutions" will go live in the next 24 hours, the council said, adding that it will continue to monitor the use of the art installation which connects Dublin and New York via a live visual link.

The council said a very small minority of people had been engaged in the inappropriate behaviour at the portal which is located between O'Connell Street and North Earl Street in Dublin city centre and that it had been "amplified through social media".

"While we cannot control all of these actions, we are implementing some technical solutions to address this and these will go live in the next 24 hours. We will continue to monitor the situation over the coming days with our partners in New York to ensure that Portals continue to deliver a positive experience for both cities and the world."

Dublin City Council has not specified what technical changes will be made.

Reports in the New York Post newspaper said that viewers in the US had seen people in Dublin exposing body parts, making inappropriate gestures and holding up footage of 9/11 since the installation opened last week.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I was on the NY side yesterday (before dark), was a neat little thing, its more interesting as an art/performance experiment than any sort of communication.

DarkSora

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017

The 'portal' allows people in Dublin and New York to connect via a live video feed'portal' allows people in Dublin and New York to connect via a live video feed

The 'portal' allows people in Dublin and New York to connect via a live video feed.

Changes will be made to the way the 'Portal' installation in Dublin is operating due to the "inappropriate behaviour" of some of those who are using it, Dublin City Council has said.

The "technical solutions" will go live in the next 24 hours, the council said, adding that it will continue to monitor the use of the art installation which connects Dublin and New York via a live visual link.

The council said a very small minority of people had been engaged in the inappropriate behaviour at the portal which is located between O'Connell Street and North Earl Street in Dublin city centre and that it had been "amplified through social media".

"While we cannot control all of these actions, we are implementing some technical solutions to address this and these will go live in the next 24 hours. We will continue to monitor the situation over the coming days with our partners in New York to ensure that Portals continue to deliver a positive experience for both cities and the world."

Dublin City Council has not specified what technical changes will be made.

Reports in the New York Post newspaper said that viewers in the US had seen people in Dublin exposing body parts, making inappropriate gestures and holding up footage of 9/11 since the installation opened last week.
They'll turn if off after 10PM.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
I'm very curious how one of these would do in Philly. There's the issue of deciding which city to pair it with, though. For which I suggest picking out of a hat.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
its a cool idea, but whoever thought of putting this in a public space and not say like in a museum or something was tripping that this kind of thing wouldn't happen lol.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I would think that they would prioritize using a screen that didn't cause severe artifacting when filmed/photographed as that is how 99% of the world will see this installation.

Oct 27, 2017
I would think that they would prioritize using a screen that didn't cause severe artifacting when filmed/photographed as that is how 99% of the world will see this installation.
It's probably better that they used what appears to be a pretty low quality screen.

The risk that it would be damaged seems quite high (and would get higher the move expensive it appeared to be), so it's probably better to have something relatively low quality that will last while than something high quality that gets destroyed quickly.

If it was somewhere 'indoors' or protected, then maybe a higher quality screen would be better as it would be more protected, but not where it's located in my opinion.