Atom

Jul 25, 2021
!!!MARK STORY SPOILERS!!!

9355328-oriental-blue-ao-no-tengai-game-boy-advance-front-cover.jpg

Been playing this and its awesome. It's easily as good as the Golden Sun games, honestly I'd put it up there with Mother 3 on the system. Compared to other stuff, probably similar ballpark to Chrono Trigger or FF6, the other 16-bit classics. If this was published by square or something for the SNES in English back in the day you'd probably have more chatter.

If I had to try and sell people on this game, I'd describe it as something like:

You know how in the old Pokemon games, you'd have to talk to people and try weird shit to figure out how to progress and have quite a bit of freedom in choosing your next objective? Modern Pokemon doesn't really fuck with that but it was a big part of the franchise's identity in the older generations to the point that FireRed/LeafGreen introduce the player to the game by telling them that they should talk to people a lot. I'm talking about shit like getting hints that the warden is missing their GOLD TEETH or guessing that a gate guard is thirsty and then reasoning what you have to do with that information, and doing gyms "out of order".

Well Oriental Blue: Ao no Tengai is that idea dialed up to 11, combined with what feels like a proto-very-wide linear structure. From the get go you have a surprising amount of freedom to explore a chunk of world map, find towns and dungeons that you otherwise might not be guided to, talk to all manner of characters, perhaps find a party member or two, get new gear and find new spells, etc. The game has a journal that will update as you discover things in the world but it's never particularly verbose (it's pretty comparable to the FF XI quest log perhaps), so I honestly recommend playing this game with a pen and paper or notebook to jot down things that you find interesting to bear in mind for later. Plenty of NPCs will say random shit that won't make sense without further context, or you'll want to remember where some random landmark was, or a particular shop item might be, stuff like that. As you progress through the game the explorable map will continue to expand, with very light lock-and-key-metroidvania style elements, and shortcuts with the map looping back on itself and things like that too.

I've been occasionally glancing at a rough outline walkthrough if I get really lost but for the most part have been playing without looking basically anything up, and it's been an incredibly rewarding experience. I have no doubt that I'm missing stuff. It appears that you can lose important boss fights and the game just continues along, perhaps with consequences for your party or for the world itself.

In terms of gameplay systems, it's mostly a pretty standard turn based combat system, and standard navigation with random encounters. The wrinkle is the magic stone system. Killing enemies will give you guaranteed drops of magic stones in a variety of types. There are a handful of basic ores that you can combine up into higher tier stones, and if you happen to find a higher tier stone, you can sacrifice it in exchange for a recipe for how to make it from constituent parts. These stones then form a common pool of resources that all party members pull from in order to cast magic. This means that you can finding a new spell is a bit of an event in and of itself. Moreover, because each spell is constructed out of a pattern, you can start to guess at how the constituent parts have to be arranged to get better versions of spells -- there is a modicum of trial and error involved, but for many spells you might have a recipe for one element, and then sort of fill in some logical blanks and get rewarded with an even better spell. It feels a bit like those IQ test series of patterns at times.

Then beyond this you can actually attach these stones to equipment, and certain combinations of stones will let you cast very powerful magic for free. The combinations are pretty cryptic but will be hinted at through sidequests, or dialogue, or just experimenting and save/reloading. I do suspect that this aspect in particular was maybe motivated by a desire to sell game guides, but while I looked up a couple, a few others I stumbled upon myself after some thinking and trying various combinations. Some gear will break easily if you do this process, but others won't and naturally lend themselves to this.

There are also other character-unique skills that are learned on level up, and can attack and defend, or cover other allies. It's a solid system if a bit standard aside from the (admittedly very unique) magic mechanics.

The setting deserves a lot of praise as well. It's this mixture of east asia/japan/china but also southeast asian cultures. Lots of interesting sights and very distinctive feeling towns. There's a town where all the buildings are connected to one another, and another large early city which is a veritable maze with its own sub-dungeons to explore and unique boss fights.

The characters and story are also pretty cool. One thing I really like is that, in line with the game's very hands-off approach and structure, you're never beaten over the head with narrative. It's there, but its found in sidequests and requests and journal entries and random NPC interactions, and the occasionally drawn together into more conventional cutscene-y moments and the like. Similarly you learn about your party members and their backstories and objectives as much from them as you do from npcs and background world building. It's not obtuse, like a souls game or anything, but you have to look for it to get the most out of it.

It's very hard to paint a faithful picture of how cool and unique feeling this game is with text. Japanese copies are pretty expensive though every so often you see them for a bit cheaper, especially if you're looking just for the cart. There's a great English fan translation available as well. As always with GBA stuff, you can very easily dump the rom if you have an old DS or DSLite lying around with a DS flashcart (check out GBA Backup Tool) and the translation is here. Like with Mother 3, ebay etc. is flooded with repros with the english translation already applied. Obviously these aren't legit so be careful with what you're buying. As a side note these sorts of repro carts often will have issues dumping (the dump might work fine but the save format is borked, for instance) so you'll be stuck using the cartridge itself. As a JRPG with random encounters, an emulation turbo option is a nice QoL feature and I wouldn't recommend these as an option.

Some media

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCPct3h1UyQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rObqq1jJuo

Full soundtrack -- it's not the best OST in the world or anything but it's pretty damn solid, feels appropriate to the setting and vibes, and is a multi-hour long GBA OST that doesn't sound like ass, which is its own kind of achievement.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOU0wSS7E_k

Official Site is still up lmao. This was a Nintendo published game. Wonder if they'll add it to the NSO expansion collection at some point, would be cool.

Useful gamefaqs threads if you get hopelessly lost
Guide
Party members
Mod gear
Stone recipes

Some other tips:
  • Play with a pen and paper, and talk to everyone.
  • Your choice of gender impacts the game story in some way, at least where you begin the game. Not sure if anything else.
  • TTC quests are how you'll find out how to make modded gear and better magic. Join the TTC in Shanghai (Western starting area) ASAP. Visiting a TTC branch will give you a list of fetchquests that change as the game goes on. Make notes of the sorts of items that are being asked for so that, as per point 1, you can grab the relevant items if you come across them in shops or in the field. TTC quests will often either reward you with an advanced magic stone (which you should immediately disassemble to get a recipe), or have you mod a piece of gear (the pattern of which might be useful and you should memorize and then experiment around with).
  • You can combine magic stones in Shanghai, early in the game. Materials aren't consumed if fusion fails. You can test fusions with "test", get recipes with "check".
  • Save and reload when experimenting with fusion and modding gear. You can also save before turning in TTC quests and then just check the reward and reload if its worth it (or get the magic stone recipe without giving away any items etc.).
  • When you come across a castle don't neglect to go back to it sometimes to see what's up.
  • There's no penalty for dying afaik aside from spent resources aren't restored.
  • When traveling the world map, staying on roads reduces the encounter rate I'm pretty sure. This also applies in some field maps too.
  • Item management is a bit of a pain. Party members have 16 slots and it's dragon quest style for consumables. There is item storage which you can access from any town though.
  • Magic lightly scales off of stats it seems but base damage is listed and paramount, so any character that meets the wisdom requirement to cast a spell can.
  • Different characters have different stat growth rates and as such you'll probably want to gear them/allocate resources to play to their strengths.
  • In shops you can look at item properties with start button, can be helpful identifying some items that might otherwise not be particularly interesting.
  • For boss fights, especially early on, have a few characters doing damage, and one that heals. Most boss fights only have one action, and that's usually single target, sometimes multi target, and a status ailment. Make sure allies can heal themselves all in the latter case.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
im familiar with tenga

edit: nm misread

edit2: in all seriousness huh, looking at some YT videos this goes on the backlog lol

i do miss the era where having a notebook out (or.. making your own maps omg) helped with RPGs

edit3: so i never had a GBA/GBC/etc and probably missed out on a ton of titles specifically for the old portables. if you have any other recs, do ping me with them

i had a 3DS so at least even though i never really used it outside DDD/Theathryhthm, i'm at least more aware of its catalog from browsing the storefronts lol

Last edited:

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I really enjoyed it when I did a playthrough a few years ago- cool character designs, a fun & snappy battle system, good music, and a lot of freedom with little penalty for exploring or charging into fights.

The drawbacks for me were the high encounter rate and small inventory as I was always running out of room.

The in-game map also sucks imo so I put together my own in photoshop and uploaded it here-

Oriental Blue: Ao no Tengai World Map Map for Game Boy Advance by Neal_Akuma - GameFAQs

For Oriental Blue: Ao no Tengai on the Game Boy Advance, World Map by Neal_Akuma.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
You know, I've started this thing a few times over the years but it just seemed so generic that I couldn't be bothered after a few minutes. But okay! I'll give it a real shot soon!!

OP
OP

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
edit3: so i never had a GBA/GBC/etc and probably missed out on a ton of titles specifically for the old portables. if you have any other recs, do ping me with them

Gonna stick mostly to RPGs because in terms of broader titles, this thread is probably better

Though I did post in there lol

GBA remains probably my favorite Nintendo handheld of all time. Some random titles to throw on here:
Kuru kuru kururin or however you spell it
Advance Wars 2
Pokemon Gen 3
Sonic Battle
Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission
Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland, moreso than Amazing Mirror
All the FE games from the era. They're all worth playing.
All the Castlevania games, maybe easier to just get the collection.
Starfy
Minish Cap
DRILL DOZER. The Gamefreak game that's better than a whole bunch pokemon games.
Warioland 4
Warioware Twisted. Legit amazing.
The Crash games are fun platformers
Boktai
Harry Potter Prizoner of Azkaban
MOTHER 3
Magical Vacation

For GBA:
Mother 3 is probably the quintessential one and all around best regarded. The Golden Sun 1 and 2 duology form one continuous story in two acts and you can transfer data from the first game to the second. Really cool battle system and rewards for exploration. Quite a bit of optional stuff. Mario and Luigi Superstar saga was so good it spawned a whole subseries. There's a 3DS version that is fine but the GBA version has a more unique art style in many ways. Pokemon Gen 3 (emerald mostly) and the Gen 1 remakes are also v good -- the latter have a loooot of postgame content, back from when Gamefreak filled their games with stuff to do.

In the SRPG TPRG space there's stuff like the 3 fire emblem games, FF Tactics Advance, Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis.
If you have looser definitions, the 3 igavanias are very solid. Aria of Sorrow is often touted as one of the best metroidvanias, and the other two are decent if not particularly amazing.

For GBC less experience here but the first 2 pokemon gens are well regarded for a reason, then there's stuff like DQ3, Mario Golf. Enjoyed the first two Harry Potter games on GBC -- they're pretty fully featured turn based JRPGs with equipment and spells and levels. Really solid OST inspired by the film scores. Also probably more ethical to consume than any current potter stuff given that a certain individual wouldn't be seeing any money I guess.

You peaked my interest OP. Any chance someday this will get a remake??

Highly doubtful though it could benefit from one. Dunno the publishing rights either. Nintendo published the game in Japan but, RED Entertainment, the developer, also holds some rights and still exists but afaik they've been far less active in the last decade than prior to that when they did work on a lot of franchises. They still publish some things though, I think? Hudson was also involved. And overall it's a niche spinoff game in an already niche franchise that probably doesn't pass the smell test for being a worthwhile investment for remake purposes.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty obscure, but it actually got another thread semi-recently. People seem to be slowly finding out about it, I suppose!

www.resetera.com

Oriental Blue: Ao no Tengai (GBA) is one of the best RPG's on the system and more people should play it.

This is a game that I've slowly grew to consider one of my favourites the more I think about it. It's one of the most unique RPG's I've played and I consider it to be tied with Mother 3 as the greatest RPG on the GBA. I'd love it if more people could discover it. It's just unfortunate that it...

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna stick mostly to RPGs because in terms of broader titles, this thread is probably better

Though I did post in there lol

thanks. the old person part of me is looking to collect something and older Nintendo stuff is something i missed out on- i've been compiling a list of wants and probably will find a way to get them all in one go during a trip since Nintendo's official presence over in Malaysia has been relatively spotty over the decades

komodothefist

Oct 30, 2017
What a nice little write up. I love games where you have to keep notes, I view them like a souvenir after the game is over. Definitely adding this one to my list.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
The thread about it linked above says it all. Easily a top 5 GBA game.

Because losing most boss fights doesn't result in a game over but simply a different story route I highly recommend not savescumming and also going in blind. If you can get a group of friends to play it at the same time as you, it's even better because you can compare notes. For example, when my friends and I were playing this, early on:

Everybody was really confused about where the ogre horns were, and how to find them. I was like "how is that confusing, you literally watch them get stolen out of Mouken's manor by Tenkamaru" but it turns out that I only saw that because Mouken's manor was the first place I went to when I reached Daito! They all went to other districts first, so by the time they got to Mouken's place the horns had already been stolen. Wild!

There were like two dozen other examples like that. Group blind play ruled. I dunno how a game this ambitious existed on the GBA.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Nice writeup! I bought this game a while back (before prices apparently exploded) but haven't made time for it... forgot there exists a fan translation. Does it have much to do with the mainline Tengai Makyou series?

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I can't articulate why but playing a fan translated game is such a comfy feeling I feel like I should be drinking hot cocoa in a blanket when I play Mother 3. I'll check this out OP!

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty obscure, but it actually got another thread semi-recently. People seem to be slowly finding out about it, I suppose!

www.resetera.com

Oriental Blue: Ao no Tengai (GBA) is one of the best RPG's on the system and more people should play it.

This is a game that I've slowly grew to consider one of my favourites the more I think about it. It's one of the most unique RPG's I've played and I consider it to be tied with Mother 3 as the greatest RPG on the GBA. I'd love it if more people could discover it. It's just unfortunate that it...

Lol, was going to link the same thread since I've had it as one of my open tabs since it was necrod earlier this year.