• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

pbTCHLg.jpg

Every 10 minutes or so, someone knocks on the big wooden door of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's office on Capitol Hill. The noise makes staffers stiffen. It's almost always a harmless fan, one of dozens who arrive each day, leaving neon-colored Post-it notes as devotional offerings. But in her first three months in Congress, aides say, enough people have threatened to murder Ocasio-Cortez that Capitol Police trained her staff to perform risk assessments of her visitors.

This is the daily reality for America's newest human Rorschach test. Wonder Woman of the left, Wicked Witch of the right, Ocasio-Cortez has become the second most talked-about politician in America, after the President of the United States. Since beating 10-term incumbent Joe Crowley in the Democratic primary to represent New York's 14th District last June, the 29-year-old former bartender has pressured 2020 presidential candidates into supporting her Green New Deal, made campaign-finance reform go viral and helped activists banish Amazon from Queens with a couple of tweets. No lawmaker in recent memory has translated so few votes into so much political and social capital so quickly. Her Twitter following has climbed from about 49,000 last summer to more than 3.5 million. Thousands of people tune in to watch her make black-bean soup or re-pot her houseplants on Instagram Live. Immediately after she tweeted the name of her signature red lipstick—Beso, by Stila—it sold out online.
http://time.com/longform/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-profile/

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
That intro is quite sobering, but completely justified. In a lot of ways, I am concerned about her safety. Justified or not, she is viewed as a huge threat to the 2nd amendment and Fox keeps hinting to its viewers, "You know what to do..."

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just here for the inevtiable posts and screenshots from Republicans freaking the fuck out.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Love all of this. She makes people on the right sweat from fear and it gives me life.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Now the far right will have to bring up AOC even more while simultaneously asking why she gets so much attention.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People keep calling me a wunderkind. I don't even know what that means. Well, I know what it means, it means very successful for your age. Which makes sense I guess. But it's a weird word.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. It's remarkable how quickly she's propelled herself to become of the most prominent political figures in American politics in just a few short months.

Last edited:

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
The Red/Brown Scare for the next couple of decades is here.

Kidding aside, I'm glad she's being quite active. As an outsider, I hope she's part of a wave of change to your society and I hope she comes out unscathed - or, at least, as unscathed as could possibly be. The right is going to try incredibly hard to bring her down.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
She really feels like the most influential and culturally relevant person in the Democratic party right now. I wonder if she'll back a horse for 2020, she is most obviously aligned with Berny, but it's Joe's primary to lose.

Be a King maker, AOC.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Now all she has to do is become president and get that Nobel and hopefully trump will be alive to see that.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
Hopefully a more experienced AOC runs for POTUS somewhere down the line. She certainly has the charisma for it.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit, she's literally almost my age. Feels good to see people our age actually in government instead of out of date, "What's a tweeter" 45+ year olds.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
And she deserves every minute of the spotlight. Hold her close and keep her save America. She is a real gem and already among one of your finest people that your nation has ever produced.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She really feels like the most influential and culturally relevant person in the Democratic party right now. I wonder if she'll back a horse for 2020, she is most obviously aligned with Berny, but it's Joe's primary to lose.

Be a King maker, AOC.

She needs to be 35 before she can run herself, right? She'd be eligible in 2024 then since her 35th birthday will be the month beforehand. Might not be the worst idea ever to work with someone for 2020 that's happy to in turn get her in the White House the following election.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
She needs to be 35 before she can run herself, right? She'd be eligible in 2024 then since her 35th birthday will be the month beforehand. Might not be the worst idea ever to work with someone for 2020 that's happy to in turn get her in the White House the following election.
She could, if Berny felt like a second term would be too much, and publicly cited as much, and positioned her as his 'natural' successor, but that seems unlikely.

If she remains the cultural face of democratic politics, there's no question she'll run, if she could run right now she'd be ahead of the field without question. But it seems unlikely she'd push that hard that early, she needs more executive experience. If Berny wins she'll be in the cabinet at some point during his reign most likely. Even if she personally isn't overcome by a lust for leadership, she's too popular for the DNC not to coach her.

EDIT: And yeah, it's 35.