• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
You can't make this shit up.

AP said:
The face mask that former Minneapolis police Officer Derek Chauvin has been required to wear during his trial in George Floyd's death has hidden his reaction to testimony, including any sympathy or remorse that legal experts say can make a difference to jurors.

Because coronavirus concerns have forced Chauvin and other participants to wear masks except when they're addressing the court, the enduring image of the defendant throughout the trial has been his impassive expression from last May as he gazed at the teenager filming his knee pinning Floyd's neck. The girl, who captured the encounter on her cellphone, called Chauvin's stare "cold" and "heartless."

"Every trial has a hero and a villain," said Ryan Pacyga, a defense attorney who has been following the trial. "He looks like a villain."

Trial lawyers, who have long practiced the art of courtroom dramaturgy, send subtle hints to jurors about a defendant through their looks and body language. They say it's important because it humanizes the defendant.

"You've got to find a way for the jury to care for them," Pacyga said.

Facial expressions are the key to innocence, not facts.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Another thing that may hurt him with the jury is how he was caught on camera while he was murdering a man

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Mmh yes if I were on the jury the fact he had a blank expression under his mask would certainly help me make a decision and not the video that was circulated around the internet millions of times literally fucking killing a man.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the fact that something like this could matter in a case where the accused is not an obvious murderer is reason #346 why juries are a terrible idea.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
If only there was a photo and video of him committing a villainous act.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I don't have any sympathy for Chauvin, but they're not wrong in that in the court room appearances -no matter how trivial they may seem- can sway a jury.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, sure. I don't see what makes this possibility newsworthy. It will have an effect, but a probably negligible one.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I actually kind get that, the emotion people show on their face helps juries make decisions. I think I read somewhere that non-guilty people get worse results because they're angry in their trials instead of remorseful (because they didnt do the thing in the first place)

that said, good if it cooks this dude's goose

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any sympathy for Chauvin, but they're not wrong in that in the court room appearances -no matter how trivial they may seem- can sway a jury.
I agree. Fuck Chauvin and I hope he rots in prison, but I don't see this article as being a problem. It's a high profile case during a time of pandemic so it seems worth reporting on.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
The argument is valid but completely tone deaf. Also they make clear masks if Chauvin's attorneys felt it necessary the jury see his face. Who writes this shit?

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Hannibal_Lecter_in_Silence_of_the_Lambs.jpg

"He looks like a villain"

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
weird, i thought they used face shields instead of masks in court for this exact reason?

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
If only humans had some sort of thing on their face unrelated to the respiratory system that isn't covered by a mask and could secrete a visible stream of liquid when they were really sad or overwhelmed with emotion! Maybe the jury could use something like that to gauge a defendant's reaction?

Fuck off AP! Lock him up!

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The snippet is less about what the AP is concerned about and more a kind of ugly truth on how juries work.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
to be honest, juries shouldnt see the defendant. remember how zimmerman was made to get fat for the trial?

or lord knows how many black people were convicted cause they were black and had a jury of white people looking at them.

humans are too stupid to eliminate our biases.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really thought the AP used to be a pretty good organization. Was I not paying enough attention and just ignorant or did they take a turn in the last couple of years?

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
We may not have much sympathy for Derek Chauvin, but this is kind of an issue for any criminal defendant that's on trial right now.
to be honest, juries shouldnt see the defendant. remember how zimmerman was made to get fat for the trial?

or lord knows how many black people were convicted cause they were black and had a jury of white people looking at them.

humans are too stupid to eliminate our biases.
That's a terrible idea. Juries are more likely to convict a random defendant that they know only by name, and have never had a chance to see in person and develop any understanding or empathy for.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think he might look like a villain due to crushing a man to death but what do i know, I'm not a lawyer

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
We may not have much sympathy for Derek Chauvin, but this is kind of an issue for any criminal defendant that's on trial right now.
That's a terrible idea. Juries are more likely to convict a random defendant that they know only by name, and have never had a chance to see in person and develop any understanding or empathy for.
hard disagree. the general public already believes that "if you been charged with a crime your already guilty"
nevermind mind the people that have literally confessed to crimes they didnt commit due to police pressure/trickery.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Mr. Floyd, how do you feel about this? Ahh, yeah, that's right, you got killed by this guy in cold blood begging for your life on video.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
ironically this is a passive debuff for black defendants in court by default

Oct 25, 2017
Did his attorneys object to him wearing the mask? There are reasons that defendants aren't in jumpsuits and handcuffs in jury trials, usually, but this is trying to drum up drama for dramas sake, imho.

KyleP29

Oct 25, 2017
The sign language translator for my county has worn a clear face mask for every press briefing for most of covid.

A quick search on Amazon shows one can even purchase one for under $10,

I doubt that the court is saying he can only wear that mask.

More likely he, or his defense, just doesn't care. Just like he didn't care that he was killing someone as he knelt on their neck for over 9 min.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if he was a murderer. AP probably got an articLe ready about how much contribution he made during his lifetime

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe. Or it could be hiding a smirk that would make him look more guilty and sociopathic. We may never know.