Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

'It's time to die' | Fourth-grader who survived Uvalde school shooting gives heartbreaking account of what gunman told students

www.kens5.com

'I was hiding hard' | Fourth grader who survived Uvalde school shooting gives heartbreaking account of gunman's classroom assault

"The cop said: 'Yell if you need help!' And one of the persons in my class said 'help.' The guy overheard and he came in and shot her," the boy said.

This is just hard to read, not least of all the police seems to be seriously out of their depth.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
Typical fucking bullies.

Tough when they have the advantage. Absolute fucking cowards when they don't.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
We'll need to see the timeline of events before giving proper judgement. If the killer was already holed up somewhere then the police actions were correct. But if he was still actively killing, it was obviously horrendous. My initial guess is that the police force lacked the translators & community advocates to properly explain the choices they made during the tragedy.
Gtfo with this shit

Oct 27, 2017
We'll need to see the timeline of events before giving proper judgement. If the killer was already holed up somewhere then the police actions were correct. But if he was still actively killing, it was obviously horrendous. My initial guess is that the police force lacked the translators & community advocates to properly explain the choices they made during the tragedy.
This is all nonsense.

yeah, they fucked up big time and are playing PR trying to prevent the truth of what happened from coming out.

It's crazy how cops will lie constantly and make up stories and can't even seem to get their stories to be consistent

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Makes me think if any kids could have been saved in that time as they lay bleeding out.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
That's crazy. A cop friend of mine here in germany once told me they're ordered to enter the premise and confront shooters as soon as they can form a squad of 4 officers.

Would've guessed confronting the attacker as soon as possible is standard procedure everywhere.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This idea also feels like some twisted way of introducing a sort of trauma inequality. More trauma and death for those schools that do have incidents while others hopefully live in ignorant bliss. Let's not bother the majority of the population while sacrificing the rest to the chaos of whatever unfolds at schools that haven't done drills. This is just people who think it won't happen to their communities wanting to stick their heads in the sand and shelter their kids from real life.
I think trying to ensure only some children are traumatized by school shootings vs all children isn't twisted at all.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
as if the incident itself wasn't horrendous enough, turns out the mayor is a pos, the police weren't doing their job... where does it end?

You seem to have an issue getting your point across. Perhaps a translator or community advocate could assist on your behalf?

1GfK.gif

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Then how was the shooter killed? Did he kill himself?

40 minutes with those weapons and he could have killed the entire school.

Fuck them cops though fucking cowards

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck it, let them arrest me. If that were my kid's school, they would either have to kill me or physically restrain me.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Police failed at each and every chance. Good guy with a gun did jack shit, possibly causing more harm than good.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Absolutely awful. ACAB.

This has always been the question. They are only there to protect white supremacy and capital. They aren't there to protect us.

God, the community would've been better served by spending that money on literally anything else, even something cop-adjacent like animal control, to say nothing of social services. If the cops were going to call CBP anyway — and maybe that makes sense in a small town? — they don't need this funding.

There are so many other programs that could have possibly helped prevent this that the money could have gone to. Yet, the police will continue to get more and more funds.

Dec 19, 2021
Good reminder that courts of ruled that police have no duty to product during violent situations. You can call them and they can, if they want, just decide not to come.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
All the leftover militia gear and weapons of war flowing into police departments will never be enough to give these people the bravery required to step in while innocent American children are getting pumped full of bullets.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Makes me think if any kids could have been saved in that time as they lay bleeding out.

As a Medic, I can assure you that most of the preventable deaths are relative to not cutting off blood loss to the impacted extremity. Valuable time was wasted to get these kids out—and it feels like it's purely because most of them were brown.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking racist cowards. No excuse for this. Seemed like pretty much all of them had assault style rifles; should have been able to go in and take down 1 teenager.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Fucking racist cowards. No excuse for this. Seemed like pretty much all of them had assault style rifles; should have been able to go in and take down 1 teenager.
Looking at the swat photo the majority appear to be Minorities themselves. I think this had less to do about race and more to do about the corrupt and broken police system working as intended. The police exist to punish and put fear into citizens. They do not exist to protect the citizens. The police unions have made sure of that in that it is basically procedure to never risk their own safety while on duty.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Wtf is this shit

Same police that do no knock warrants stand there while children are slaughtered?

This don't add up

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
This country is shithole. We are dominated by a minority party of gun nuts whos fantasy they spend every day salivating for is going John Rambo in a shooting situation. So we loosen gunlaws, make sure everyone can have as many guns as they want, more guns, more guns all the time, open carry them into subway, target where ever the hell.

Then it happens, they get their chance and its suddenly: "not going in their, dude has a gun its dangerous, you have any idea how dangerous guns are? no way!" and then go back to saying how we need more guns and schools should be a police state fortress... I live in Utah so this kind of thinking is all throughout my right wing family and coworkers, some friends. It's just fucking insane and there is no reaching these people.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
He's talking specifically about active shooter lockdown drills. Those drills do cause all sorts of trauma for kids. These shootings are awful, but they are still relatively rare occurrences. Do the benefits of training kids on how to react in the worst case scenario outweigh the trauma that these cause, the ways in which they normalizes gun violence in school, and the way in which it informs potential school shooters on how first responders would approach the situation?
So you agree that emergency drills cause people to do horrible things like this? Because that's literally what the tweet ends with.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019

'It's time to die' | Fourth-grader who survived Uvalde school shooting gives heartbreaking account of what gunman told students

www.kens5.com

'I was hiding hard' | Fourth grader who survived Uvalde school shooting gives heartbreaking account of gunman's classroom assault

"The cop said: 'Yell if you need help!' And one of the persons in my class said 'help.' The guy overheard and he came in and shot her," the boy said.
""When the cops came, the cop said: 'Yell if you need help!' And one of the persons in my class said 'help.' The guy overheard and he came in and shot her," the boy said. "The cop barged into that classroom. The guy shot at the cop. And the cops started shooting."

…the cops used a child as a distraction before breaching. There are no words.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
What's ghoulish is the pr for the cops was their boss saying they did such a good job securing the scene abd isolating the shooter/barricading him in a class room

Only what that actually meant is from what I've gathered:

1. They barely engaged with the shooter outside the school after he emerged from a crashed vehicle

2. They followed followed him inside (aka they conceeded entrance to the school to him because they were afraid if being hurt).

3 They tracked him to a classroom, an occupied classroom full of kids and teachers, watched him lock the door.

4. Then the cops backed off feeling proud that they isolated the shooter... while the shooter proceeded to butcher those kids and teachers over the next 40 minutes because no one could bother to defeat a locked door

5. And in the end whike they retreated to the exterior to pacify distraught parents with more force and effort than anything they did in the name of stopping the shooter... it was a maverick ICE agent who took it upon himself to go in, get a staff member to unlock the door finally after 40-60 minutes and took down the shooter.

6. The police then rewrote all these events as acts if effective heroism and made it sound like they prevented more death, when in reality all those deaths were 100% enabled by their decisions and cowardness.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I hope all the victims parents sue the shit out of this police force, fucking pathetic. Wtf are they even paying you for? If that off duty border patrol guy didn't show up, how long would it have gone on for?

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston

Bullshit.

The premise of a lockdown is to keep the halls clear and allow the rapid response of police to neutralize the threat asap. Without that response everyone sheltering in place are sitting ducks waiting to be slaughtered.

The cops are cowards and this is nothing short of a complete failure of duty. The teachers did what they were told they were supposed to do, and the cops who in February ran drills for this exact thing abdicated their responsibility and children were killed.

A fucking border agent and custodian took down the killer.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Forget defund the police, abolish the police. They do not prevent crime, even when they are on site when a fucking crime is being committed. What a waste of money.