• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
In addition to rapidly gathering a large audience, Apex Legends is now making waves on Twitch.

The free-to-play battle royale title achieved the fourth highest single-day views in five years, thanks to the Twitch Rivals event arranged by developer Respawn and the streaming platform earlier this week.

On February 12th, Apex Legends fans watched 8.4 million hours of matches, according to Twitch tracker Gamoloco. The firm's study dates back to October 2014.

Most notably, that's more than a million higher that Fortnite's most successful single-day viewing, which was 7.2 million hours for the game's Season 5 launch last July.

More at the source

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fortnite is old and stale. Apex Legends feels so much better to play I wouldn't be surprised if this continues.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dont care for Apex, but so happy to see it enroaching upon Fortnite

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
All the signs are pointing to this being more then a one hit wonder nice job respawn.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played Fornite, haven't played this.

What's the main difference, or could this just be the freshness of a new game?

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
There was a real fight yesterday evening with Fortnite and Overwatch having events of their own and Apex had.. nothing.
Still Apex was almost as high as the others.

I think Fortnite had a "quick invite all streamers into a room and let's make an event" sort of thing in panic it looked like.
They even had "game analysts" to analyse game play etc which imho looked insane.. That is I couldn't grasp what was happening on the screen even with someone explaining what was going on.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can build in Fortnite, it's an important system especially for high-skill play. Apex is more vanilla shooters BR with heroes you can choose.

I'll give Apex a shot then. I've watched some folks play fortnite but it never really done it for me. The only building I cba with is building a turret/teleporters in TF2 lol.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Is this why I received an email from Epic offering me the Fortnite season pass for free.

Anuses twitching over a Epic it seems.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017

This has better gunplay, and better gameplay in general I'd argue. Fortnite has a better map, stronger art, more personality and all those updates, the battle pass and way better customisation. Apex could catch up on a lot of that though. Also, Fortnites 2-300 dedicated staff members could easily implement changes to get back on top.

Fortnite has the building too, but that was always a huge negative for me.

All imo of course.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
There was a real fight yesterday evening with Fortnite and Overwatch having events of their own and Apex had.. nothing.
Still Apex was almost as high as the others.

I think Fortnite had a "quick invite all streamers into a room and let's make an event" sort of thing in panic it looked like.
They even had "game analysts" to analyse game play etc which imho looked insane.. That is I couldn't grasp what was happening on the screen even with someone explaining what was going on.

I mean Apex is the new thing on the block.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017

When you shoot someone, they don't immediately turn into a block of flats.

Aside from the meme-y response, the building has been a big turn off for a lot of people in Fortnite. The combat in the game is rather rudimentary as well, with random recoil/bloom on shooting. Apex combat is more consistent and firefights tend to often be quite prolonged and varied due to character abilities rather than there simply being a tactic that arguably works best in nearly every encounter. Theoretically building increases combat options, but it lends itself to most encounters playing out very similarly. It's a very specific skill ceiling which many people simply don't want to have to learn in order to be competitive. It doesn't really translate to other in-game experience you might have. Whereas everything in Apex basically builds of stuff you've probably learned in other games.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Radical Heights was the new thing on the block once but that didn't make a dent in Fortnites popularity.

I've never even heard of this game?

There was another BR game as successful as Apex after PUBG and FN?

Anyway. This game is amazing. Can't wait to get off work and play more. It's just so damned fun.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Some of you guys are... a bit dramatic. Apex is doing amazingly well (and deservedly so), but Fortnite is also doing crazily good. Some of you acting like it's the downfall of Fortnite are way too... passionate, about this stuff.

First it was love for PUBG, then when Fortnite came everybody was saying PUBG deserved it and that Fortnite was so fresh and they were doing things right! Now Apex comes and Fortnite is stale, old and fuck Epic. Wonder how long Apex will be treated well in this forum (in a broad manner I mean).

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I've never even heard of this game?

There was another BR game as successful as Apex after PUBG and FN?

Anyway. This game is amazing. Can't wait to get off work and play more. It's just so damned fun.
Radical Heights was Cliffy B having a stab at the BF gold rush. The fact you've never heard of it speaks volumes!

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
It still amazes how people compare these two games with each other on the gameplay front. It also amazes me when people try to explain what Fortnite is and barely mention "building" like it's some minor gameplay system.

The games are VERY different. Apex is a class-based BR game with casual gameplay, radically different art style to Fortnite and great gunplay based on Titanfall. Fortnite is a third person BR game, where building is the MAIN mechanic (thus exponentially increasing the skill ceiling) and a unique art style that helps monetization tremendously. It also relies on continuous radical changes to the map and gameplay which of course aren't always for the better but at least keep the game fresh.

What Apex is about to bring, and hopefully force Fortnite as well, is Ranked matches and that's great.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit, I'm not seeing the logic in this post.

They started development and said they would modernise UT but have since stopped development because of Fortnites success, Fortnite is already written off by many as a simple casual game, UT is not that and is a known brand.
They already have the precision movement and gunplay done, surely the next logical step would be to turn it into a competitor and at the same time give UT fans a reason to come back.

Now Fortnite is not done by a long shot,but a dent is a dent and while I probably won't play Fortnite I would try a BR Unreal Tournament.

Deleted member 11943

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The new norm will be to have unreleased, big content dumps just waiting in the wings. If ever a competitor just sneaks up and start siphoning your customers, you add zombies and leonardo davinci bicycle helicopters later that week to slow down their momentum.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
One of the strong points of Fortnite was that once it caught steam,they continued pushing it and updating etc...

Since they hit jackpot,Respawn needs to be working super hard to continue updating and polishing the game,so it does not become stale and loses the spotlight.

Wish them the best

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1ad.png

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how cosmetics work in a first person game. This baffles me with Overwatch too. I mean you don't see your character while playing the game anyway. I know COD has cosmetics on weapons but they're lame.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had a friend the other day tell me how he was so pissed off at this game... and guess what it was about? Bloodhound. Kept referring to Bloodhound as "he", and was pissed because the character was "forced" somehow and needed some big explanation as to why they are that way. Not just that, but they said because they are wearing full body armor it's proof it's a trick to check a quota for SJW, to fool you. Then they proceeded to start calling Bloodhound an "it". They also told me they have trans GF and that them being a white guy has nothing to do with this. Needless to say that conversation got very heated and I am no longer their friend.

I have not played this game but news of it's success satisfies me just in the chance it might upset my ex friend a little.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's impressive considering Fortnite had all those fancy events too, like the rocket launch or the loot lake shenanigans sending people into the void touching butterflies and shit, or even the more recent Marshmello concert. Apex beating those events view-wise is quite something. Hopefully it will remain popular, game's really great.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I certainly like it more than Fortnite, but I wasn't a fan of building. We'll see what happens; the game is extremely new, so the "new game smell" could wear off.

I still suck at this one, but I'm having a fun time sucking.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
It's impressive considering Fortnite had all those fancy events too, like the rocket launch or the loot lake shenanigans sending people into the void touching butterflies and shit, or even the more recent Marshmello concert. Apex beating those events view-wise is quite something. Hopefully it will remain popular, game's really great.
Those events put players in the game. Like the Marshmallow event with 10 million players watching the event in-game. Many more watching on stream, but having those players actually in-game is more essential. Same for the Rocket Launch, Ice King etc.

Players in-game >>>> Players watching, always.

Deleted member 18742

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apex is more appeal to people who hate how reliant building has become in Fortnite. Apex also I feel takes more skill too.

So its not too surprising there are a lot of people who are playing and love Apex.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Respawn is proof that talent + good management = consistently fantastic output. Hopefully the success of Apex Legends means that EA will let them keep their autonomy and freedom.

-COD2/4/MW2
-TF1
-TF2
-Apex

They're the undisputed kings of the COD-like FPS genre. Can't wait to see their take on Star Wars.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean Fortnite isn't going to just up and die upon Apex gaining popularity, that's just stupid logic. However, it is very safe to say that the huge popularity on a game so very fresh is sending a wake up call to Epic. This is why the season 8 battle pass can be essentially had for free. There have been plenty of other "holiday" events that could have seen Epic giving out a battle pass but only just now at such a convenient time is it being offered.

That ain't conspiracy theory, that's just common business sense. Keep your consumers consuming by giving them a nibble of the carrot. Especially when the basket Epic Games is holding all their eggs in is Fortnite they damn well want to protect it. If it all crashes and burns too quickly they wouldn't be able to ensure Epic Store functions how they want it too and the dev cut for their engine be so low.

In my opinion, Epic is running a very thin safety net here on Fortnite. They've pushed it up to funnel everything else but not bothered to actually put effort into using that cash injection to better establish themselves. Instead they've gone for the dick Epic Store route.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Respawn is proof that talent + good management = consistently fantastic output. Hopefully the success of Apex Legends means that EA will let them keep their autonomy and freedom.

-COD2/4/MW2
-TF1
-TF2
-Apex

They're the undisputed kings of the COD-like FPS genre. Can't wait to see their take on Star Wars.

To be fair they didn't want to do MW2, it was forced onto them by Activision. And while MW2 is excellent in many ways, it's much thanks to the foundations of MW1. The balance in the sequel's multiplayer was far from ideal, and the campaign was like a cliché version of the first game's campaign.
"Oh, that death you lived in the first game was impactful? Here, there's five more."
"Oh, that scene was controversial? Here, let's add 5 other more controversial things including shooting at civilians - and then getting killed because of the aforementioned deaths."
It was far from what they wanted to do.