• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Weird. I thought they would push Origin on MP games and leave SP out.

But that's great anyway.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
" Not true. Your games will launch directly with Steam without running Origin. "

The plural makes it sound like it'll be the case for more games than just apex?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
this is... interesting

I guess they saw the writing on the wall with how quickly EGS came onto the scene, dominated every news cycle, and ate everyone else's lunch.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Huh.

I wonder what the reasoning behind some games using Origin and others not using it is? Fallen Order requires it, yet this doesn't? Weird.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
My guess would be that older games or ones for which development has concluded will still use the Origin client while new ones might have a more elegant solution in place.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably an unpopular opinion but I hope this isn't them starting to sunset the Origin launcher. It's my favorite launcher. Great UI and it's the only launches that maxes out my bandwidth. I'd buy more games on it if there was more non-EA things on it.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is a case of a dev/PR person speaking too fast.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/doqbiu/ea_access_and_ea_games_on_steam/f5qdo2e/

I'm not going to pretend to be a technical expert on this, but I think he and I are both correct since we're talking about two somewhat separate aspects of the launcher functions. Origin is required to ensure the game is up to date, but Steam is primarily used otherwise.

So like Uplay, you'll see the Launcher start up and immediately minimize to the task-tray. It'll still be running in the background for DRM probably.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Didn't expect that for an Online GAAS game focused on monitization, but good on them. It's bound to increase player count and exposure, so good for the game. If I ever jump back in I'll likely do so through Steam instead of Origin now, though I wonder if there's going to be proper cross-progression

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I get the feeling that they're going to integrate Steamworks in the future, but the Fallen Order release is too close that they won't have a chance to let it run without Origin. I guess we'll see with the future games.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a case of a dev/PR person speaking too fast.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/doqbiu/ea_access_and_ea_games_on_steam/f5qdo2e/

So like Uplay, you'll see the Launcher start up and immediately minimize to the task-tray. It'll still be running in the background for DRM probably.

Yeah this is my take on it too a lite version of origin. Or maybe it'll be simpler than that where you log into your origin account in game and it just connects to origin on the back end without the need of a launcher. I wonder if Jedi fallen order is an outlier as they don't have all the systems in place but obviously want to sell the game at launch. Because ea could drop the rest of their lineup the same way as Jedi fallen order then.